Saints making the same RB contract mistake we did.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Kamara apparently getting a 5 yr extension for $77M. Ouch!!!!

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Dalvin Cook signed a new deal today too, 5yrs 63 mill.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Kamara deal is risky too when you consider the dip his productivity took in 2019. He struggled being the guy after Ingram left.

Payton knows what he's doing but I think there is a chance they just paid bell cow money to a change of pace back.

Ram65

Legend
We have to see the details of both.

[Pelissero] - “No franchise tag situation in Minnesota: Pro Bowl ...
www.reddit.com › minnesotavikings › comments › irffjg

1 hour ago - ... RB Dalvin Cook and the #Vikings have agreed to a 5yr, $63M extension, ... After just 29 career games, Cook locks in over $28M guaranteed.” ... New money average is roughly $12.5 million/year. ... Basically a 3 year 28 mill contract ... how likely he is to actually get anywhere close to that $63 mil number.

I think Cook with the guaranteed money being low could work out. He has that injury history. I thought they might pass on giving him an extension.

Kamara seems riskier but, we don't have the guaranteed money. Let's say it seems high with his production decreasing.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The Kamara deal is risky too when you consider the dip his productivity took in 2019. He struggled being the guy after Ingram left.

Payton knows what he's doing but I think there is a chance they just paid bell cow money to a change of pace back.

They gave ridiculous money to a gadget backup QB too... are we really still giving peyton and Loomis the benefit of the doubt? Apart from that draft a couple years ago their personnel decisions have been consistently terrible.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I like the player and person but he's on the aints so by proxy him and Asshole Face can go suck on eggs.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is what I like about Snead. He drafts a year in advance for his needs. This year the Saints had the #24 pick and two 3rd round picks and a 7th rounder. Did they take a RB? No. They could have had their pick of just about any RB they wanted. They drafted a center Ruiz. So now they are spending top $$ on a RB that is good but doesn't seem to warrant that kind of money. RB is the one position where starting a rookie normally translates well from college to the NFL. As a first-rounder, they would have had him for 5 years. This is exactly why you don't draft BAA on days one and two because if you don't you leave yourself trapped into perhaps overpaying for a skill position.

Their loss is our gain as it allowed Akers to drop to us. Taking a center in the 1st round? This guy better be a pro bowler next year. Ruiz is good but just how good remains to be seen. Most professional evaluators ( from the major scouting services ) had a day 2 grade on him. O-line taken in the first round have a high percentage of not playing to their draft position. A center in particular takes 2-3 years to develop as his reads are going to be much tougher. This is why many play OG for one year to acclimate and learn the game or play as a backup that rookie year. They probably could have traded that first-rounder for multiple picks including a 2nd round pick and probably still have gotten Ruiz.

Regarding Kamara his market value is about $14M which means the Saints slightly overpaid for him. The problem I have with big contracts to RBs is that they take a pounding every year. Their careers average 3-5 years in the NFL, which not only reflects a relatively high bust rate but also injury rate. Three years ago Kamara was considered an elite RB. The last two years he's been good but now that he's the bell cow his production dropped slightly. Kamara has good speed but not elite speed which means he's going to be tackled more and subjected to more of a pounding. The contract is slightly over paying him but not grossly so. I have no problem with the contract only this is a team that could have filled that known need via the draft.

My problem is with the Saints carrying a mamouth $46.3M in dead cap to Brees. Even if he retires in 2022 at 43 years old they will still carry an $11M dead cap that year. That kind of structuring makes no sense. You can keep kicking the can down the road but there is a limit and when the road ends there is a price to be paid. Talk about a team going all in to win this year, the Saints fit that bill. Anything less than a SB win is failure for them.

Next year the Saints will carry Taysom Hill as a backup QB $16.1M or they can play him and release Brees with a $22.6M dead cap! This is an example of poor cap management and going all-in now with handicapping results for the long term.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m a firm believer in creating an offense that does not need one feature back. Better to just sink money into some good Olinemen.
This is where I'm at.

In today's league I would spend money and draft capital on my OL on offense. If you have a strong offensive mind running the show then from there you can get the most from QBs in their first contracts as well as load up on smart route running types and a RB by committee backfield. You could conceivably draft running QBs too and change them out every few years, or go with the pocket types if you want, the good line allows for either approach.

Defensively my money would be spent primarily on DBs and rush ends. The rest you just let churn year to year and make do.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame

He was a bit of a disappointment last year but he still averaged 4.7 yards per carry and had 81 receptions and he missed 2 games. I love his game and seems to have a great attitude but you may be right he may not be a bell cow RB.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
This is what I like about Snead. He drafts a year in advance for his needs. This year the Saints had the #24 pick and two 3rd round picks and a 7th rounder. Did they take a RB? No. They could have had their pick of just about any RB they wanted. They drafted a center Ruiz. So now they are spending top $$ on a RB that is good but doesn't seem to warrant that kind of money. RB is the one position where starting a rookie normally translates well from college to the NFL. As a first-rounder, they would have had him for 5 years. This is exactly why you don't draft BAA on days one and two because if you don't you leave yourself trapped into perhaps overpaying for a skill position.

Their loss is our gain as it allowed Akers to drop to us. Taking a center in the 1st round? This guy better be a pro bowler next year. Ruiz is good but just how good remains to be seen. Most professional evaluators ( from the major scouting services ) had a day 2 grade on him. O-line taken in the first round have a high percentage of not playing to their draft position. A center in particular takes 2-3 years to develop as his reads are going to be much tougher. This is why many play OG for one year to acclimate and learn the game or play as a backup that rookie year. They probably could have traded that first-rounder for multiple picks including a 2nd round pick and probably still have gotten Ruiz.

If I recall the Saints drafted OL in the first round in 2019 also. I think you have to look at it like supply-and-demand; there were many WRs in this year's draft, but very few highly regarded Cs or Gs. Quality OL is just rare overall, yet they have such a huge impact on an entire 22. I think it's wise to avoid kicking that can down the road every year. From that pov the Saints probably outmaneuvered the league.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Saints making the same RB contract mistake we did.

1599950767566.png

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Defensively my money would be spent primarily on DBs and rush ends. The rest you just let churn year to year and make do.
Agreed, but when you say DB's i assume you're talking about corners. I'm not paying safeties, just keep drafting them. Rams have done well for quite awhile in that department.

Ideally...
QB, LT, EDGE, CB

But WR's are difficult to keep churning out because you're putting so many on the field. Having only one stud WR doesn't really help you.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed, but when you say DB's i assume you're talking about corners. I'm not paying safeties, just keep drafting them. Rams have done well for quite awhile in that department.

Ideally...
QB, LT, EDGE, CB

But WR's are difficult to keep churning out because you're putting so many on the field. Having only one stud WR doesn't really help you.
Corner is definitely the priority. But I also really value a deep middle type with range and instincts, it can add the possession changes.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If not for injury, I think TG3 might be considered a decent value right now And especially over the next few years. That’s assuming he was playing to potential.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Whew, that's a lot of jack for a RB. But he hasn't been hurt and he's a special player. He's worth it.