Rooting for Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Kind of incredible (in a sad way) that Josh Reynolds, a guy who was our #4 for basically his entire career and a source of frustration, steps in and is automatically their best WR.

Yeah and everyone blames Goff including his HC Dan the Clown. No OL, a #4 WR is his #1, and he's not particularly fast at 4.52- 4.57. Josh wasn't considered good enough for the Titan's roster. Their fastest WR is Kalif Raymond but his drops got him cut from TN and he's had 3 costly drops so far with Detroit. He's fast but only an average route runner and worst of all he's only 5'8" tall.

Let's see what Holmes does with his draft picks the next couple of years. OL, WRs and defense, that team has a lot of holes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's hard to judge the HC right now just as it's hard to judge some other parts of that team. If the WRs are garbage and the OL is garbage and the defense is garbage... Maybe it's too early to say the HC is a clown.

Not like I care by the way. But just from the logic perspective what I'm seeing is the type of approach from some posters that leads to losing organizations. Burning through head coaches too quickly vice giving them time and support to build their vision of a winner is a classic example of how losing is done.

For Holmes the key is hitting on a true elite player with that high pick he's gonna have. There will be voices in that draft room pushing a QB but you gotta hit big on that pick so if the QB isn't a slam dunk he'd better go with best player on that board, the best chance to get that Hall of Famer type. And then finding some starters in the rest of what should be a good draft for them.

Re: Campbell the tough thing here is he will have a hard time changing out OC or DC with top candidates in part because, well, how do you look them in the eye and tell them they're the problem when the talent is so poor. But he will probably need to do that, depending on to what extent the gameplans have factored in here. That's something a good HC will know and we can't know. Chances are he'll want to change one of those two positions, that's how it goes when you lose that many games.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If the team is not the Rams, I'm not rooting for them unless it helps us with playoff positioning. In other words, fuck the Lions lol.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's hard to judge the HC right now just as it's hard to judge some other parts of that team. If the WRs are garbage and the OL is garbage and the defense is garbage... Maybe it's too early to say the HC is a clown.

Not like I care by the way. But just from the logic perspective what I'm seeing is the type of approach from some posters that leads to losing organizations. Burning through head coaches too quickly vice giving them time and support to build their vision of a winner is a classic example of how losing is done.

For Holmes the key is hitting on a true elite player with that high pick he's gonna have. There will be voices in that draft room pushing a QB but you gotta hit big on that pick so if the QB isn't a slam dunk he'd better go with best player on that board, the best chance to get that Hall of Famer type. And then finding some starters in the rest of what should be a good draft for them.

Re: Campbell the tough thing here is he will have a hard time changing out OC or DC with top candidates in part because, well, how do you look them in the eye and tell them they're the problem when the talent is so poor. But he will probably need to do that, depending on to what extent the gameplans have factored in here. That's something a good HC will know and we can't know. Chances are he'll want to change one of those two positions, that's how it goes when you lose that many games.
Should trade back if not sold on a QB... Need a ton of picks. They have nothing.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I cant help but find myself rooting for that team. Not only do I love Dan Campbell as the lead guy there but rooting for Goff and Reynolds is just natural. I hope they can get it turned around up there. As long as it's not against us.
Just me, but I've never been into that mindset..I have no problem with Goff but I won't root for him or the Lions unless it benefits the Horns...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The challenge is that the defense has actually performed better than expected. They've performed far better than they should, considering the lack of talent and injuries. But then you have random moments where mind-blowing incompetence happens. For example, they had Chicago in 3rd and 9 with two timeouts left and more than enough time to drive for the game-winning FG if they got the stop. But coming out of a timeout, their defense was confused as to the play called, didn't get set up correctly, and Detroit tried to call another timeout. That resulted in a five yard penalty and cost them their timeout.

So now it's 3rd and 4. What happens? Detroit comes out and lines up all their DBs five yards beyond the first down. Chicago throws a short pass, easily gets the first, and runs out the clock for the winning FG. It was one of the strangest and dumbest coaching performances I've seen. And it's not the first time they've made stupid mistakes like that late in games that led to losses. It almost seemed like they were intentionally trying to lose.

But frankly, my biggest concern with the coaching staff is how undisciplined the team plays. Yes, the talent sucks, but you can still have shitty talent play disciplined football. You'll still lose, but you won't be beset by procedural penalties and other dumb mistakes. Of course, some HCs can win with an undisciplined team (Pete Carroll being one). Still, it's a bad omen in my mind.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a hard time giving a HC another year if he goes thru the season without a single win.
Sure the team is playing hard, but they're losing games because of the coaching staff.
The team is a blank canvas, and if they cant scratch out a win or two, cut bait.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Technically the Bears could kick and the Lions would receive the ball again in the second half. That happened to us and the Cowgirls a few years ago.
I don't think so. With us vs Cowboys, they "fixed" the problem at halftime IIRC.

I think NFL refs are trained to not let any miscommunication or confusion leading to a team not receiving the ball at least once (at opening kickoff or after halftime).

Refs know that no team wants to voluntarily give up the ball, so refs are trained to make sure a dumb player doesn't screw over their own team on the coin toss.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I don't think so. With us vs Cowboys, they "fixed" the problem at halftime IIRC.

I think NFL refs are trained to not let any miscommunication or confusion leading to a team not receiving the ball at least once (at opening kickoff or after halftime).

Refs know that no team wants to voluntarily give up the ball, so refs are trained to make sure a dumb player doesn't screw over their own team on the coin toss.
That's more or less the lower levels of football through high school. Though I wouldn't put the Cowboys much over that level of football.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Well considering the fact that Matt Patricia was a rocket scientist and still couldn’t lift the team to a higher peak. Dan Campbell seems like he is passionate, I mean it sucks for the organization, but its going to be a rebuild around whomever, Goff or whoever they end up drafting. Feel bad for Lions fans though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It almost seemed like they were intentionally trying to lose.
It sure feels that way. I was watching in disbelief how they just willed themselves to a victorious defeat....
Playing so tight and conservative late with the lead, then the melt down of penalties costing them a chance to score and put the game away, smh. I mean, and I must have said this 10 times while watching, you're a winless team and should be throwing caution to the wind and selling out if need be to win the damn game. The mentality of how this team is coached is akin to Spags punting on 4th down and thus allowing the opposition to go in to victory formation. You have house money right now, should be taking avery risk, being aggressive at every turn. Nobody is going to fault a team that loses playing that way. But playing "not to lose" when you're a team without a win? Good grief Charlie Brown, bring in the next HC already....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I have a hard time giving a HC another year if he goes thru the season without a single win.
Sure the team is playing hard, but they're losing games because of the coaching staff.
The team is a blank canvas, and if they cant scratch out a win or two, cut bait.

I would agree and this staff has looked bewildered in so many ways, especially this is the second time in a game, they have called back to back timeouts. Now they will give him more time because they signed Campbell to a 5 year deal, but there is no excuse and when the coaching staff makes blunders like this, it just erodes the team from the inside out.

If the players don't feel the coaching staff can handle the game, you lose the team. Dan Campbell, now calling the plays is just overwhelmed, but he's the guy who hired Anthony Lynn as OC. I was not sold on Campbell and I understand he's a former player (TE) blue collar, great for Detroit, but they said that about Matt Millen too.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Actually feeling sorry for Goff at this point. There is no fking talent on that team and with Swift out there NO playmakers anywhere outside the TE spot with Hockenson.

He played his best game in forever and it's still not enough...

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
It sure feels that way. I was watching in disbelief how they just willed themselves to a victorious defeat....
Playing so tight and conservative late with the lead, then the melt down of penalties costing them a chance to score and put the game away, smh. I mean, and I must have said this 10 times while watching, you're a winless team and should be throwing caution to the wind and selling out if need be to win the damn game. The mentality of how this team is coached is akin to Spags punting on 4th down and thus allowing the opposition to go in to victory formation. You have house money right now, should be taking avery risk, being aggressive at every turn. Nobody is going to fault a team that loses playing that way. But playing "not to lose" when you're a team without a win? Good grief Charlie Brown, bring in the next HC already....
The first half of the Rams game s/be how they approach everything. You're absolutely correct...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Detroit coaching staff seems lost on many occasions when ive watched.

What kind of coaching staff doesn't call a time out before the 2 minute warning when they want to get the ball back. They made a good stop on 1st down for no yardage with time left on the clock and then nothing. They let it run down to 2 minutes. That's not a coaching staff that knows what it's doing to win games.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

0-16-1 doesn't exactly inspire confidence the next year, does it?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
0-16-1 doesn't exactly inspire confidence the next year, does it?
Anybody who looks at that 53 man roster and can be confident in anything other than them losing a shit ton of games has some damn good smoke going on.