Roger Goodell gets new contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oh so NOW I'm an omphalopsychite gauleiter. :mad:

You booger! You made me have to google that....

Spoiler alert!

Pretty sure you don't want to be a regional Nazi Commode who stares at his navel to enter a trance...

Although, that sounds like something out of Hogan's Heroes, come to think of it...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Let's not forget how he handled Spygate either ...

Or for that matter, his wildly inconsistent and reactive approach to player discipline. Or his biased manner of handling certain things, such as letting these protests continue and fester (alienating large swaths of fans and driving down ratings) while prohibiting other expressions by the players (the Cowboys commemoration of the police officers murdered in Dallas, players commemorating 9/11).

He doesn't lead, he just reacts and he's a walking PR disaster. The networks, which have lost a reported $500 million on the NFL this year due to declining ratings would likely agree.

He's been a pretty mediocre Commissioner but if you really think ratings and attendance are down because of what you think of protests you are wrong.

The reasons are many, players kneeling is one of several.

I would need to see something that proves the networks have lost half a BIL, and that Goodell stopped teams from commemorating 9/11 and honoring police, I call Facebook News bullshit on that 100% because the ad contracts have been in place. And what advertisers or sponsors have yanked their money?

He is a PR disaster, and he isn't a great leader, he's a good money maker.

His wildly inconsistent discipline is in fact driven by the players union and CBA. Parameters are in place and he has to stay within them. So it used to be up until the Ray Rice video surfaced that beating your significant other was 1-2 games, smoking weed was 4. That is courtesy of the union as much as the league.

I'm betting that Sarcophagus Face guzzled down a massive quantity of the world's finest scotch last night. Sure... he does that on a nightly basis, but last night's quantity was epic.

Who's Sarcophagus Face?

@Mackeyser you had to ask???

LOL he looks like he got his face done at Home Depot!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He's been a pretty mediocre Commissioner but if you really think ratings and attendance are down because of what you think of protests you are wrong.

The reasons are many, players kneeling is one of several.

I would need to see something that proves the networks have lost half a BIL, and that Goodell stopped teams from commemorating 9/11 and honoring police, I call Facebook News bullcrap on that 100% because the ad contracts have been in place. And what advertisers or sponsors have yanked their money?

His wildly inconsistent discipline is in fact driven by the players union and CBA. Parameters are in place and he has to stay within them. So it used to be up until the Ray Rice video surfaced that beating your significant other was 1-2 games, smoking weed was 4. That is courtesy of the union as much as the league.

@Mackeyser you had to ask???

LOL he looks like he got his face done at Home Depot!

I'd understand Bachelor face because his face always looks like a bachelor's shirt... wrinkly and a little dirty no matter how often it's washed.

That or he suffers from Resting Percocet Face...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's why the Gronk hit was so egregious though, and why he should have received a much longer suspension - there is NO doubt that one was intentional, as it occurred after the whistle when the other player was on the ground. That was clearly an intent to injure, and Gronk should have been sent packing for much long than a single game. But of course, Goodell just reacted instead of leading.

He should be out 2 games longer than the player he hit.

That was disgusting. Gronkowski's comment in the post game interview made me dislike him enough that if he get's caught up in the turf and detroys his knee and can't play anymore my out loud comment will be "karma muthafucka do you speak it?".

It's was the worst of the worst.

Goodell - "Here you go. Less practice time, better pay."
Players' Association - "Where do I sign?"

We can play these games all day. But it all comes back to one thing. The owners and their commissioner work with the players and their union so they all make the most money they can. Everything else is secondary.

One thing I want to clarify I'm not Goodell biggest fan, I just don't think he should take all the blame like most people give him.

Players union And DSmith are worse at managing things that the NFL it'self. Oh well.

He probably couldn't have handled that worse from a PR and potential future stadium funding standpoint.

For sure, but keep this in mind.

Pretty much every team but the Raiders and Chargers are playing in stadiums that aren't old and broken down.

So new stadium deals won't come up for quite awhile.

By then people will have forgotten how the NFL fucks it's fan bases.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For sure, but keep this in mind.

Pretty much every team but the Raiders and Chargers are playing in stadiums that aren't old and broken down.

So new stadium deals won't come up for quite awhile.

By then people will have forgotten how the NFL fucks it's fan bases.
I don't buy it. Several teams have gotten new or retrofitted stadiums even though they were not in poor shape. There will be stadium talks sooner rather than later for some team. What may have been the big quasher of new stadium deals is Kroenke ponying up to build his own rather than relying on the taxpayers to pay for half or more.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Name those stadiums..........the stuff that's been redone or replaced has for the most part been outdated and worn venues.

Kroenke isn't the first owner to build his own stadium or the second, third fourth etc, so it won't effect any new deals. And the NFL isn't the only sport where owners have done it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

It's not the total reason, but it's definitely part of it. The protests have gone over like the proverbial turd in the punch bowl with key demographics for the NFL.

Yes, there are other factors, but you can't ignore the impact of the protests on people watching. It's real and it's significant enough that the NFL better figure out what to do about it.

Was a good money maker. If ratings continue their nosedive or don't recover to their previous levels, the next round of TV contracts is going to be less lucrative for the NFL.

nighttrain

Legend
a lot of the ratings drop can be laid at the foot of streaming, never had it so good
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's not the total reason, but it's definitely part of it. The protests have gone over like the proverbial turd in the punch bowl with key demographics for the NFL.

Yes, there are other factors, but you can't ignore the impact of the protests on people watching. It's real and it's significant enough that the NFL better figure out what to do about it.

Was a good money maker. If ratings continue their nosedive or don't recover to their previous levels, the next round of TV contracts is going to be less lucrative for the NFL.

I won't get into it because the admins will not like it, if you can find the study, I think it was CBS that did it there are 5 big reasons why fans are fed up and the protests were neck and neck with two others, and two others were minor complaints but together made up a fairly big "reason" too.

Fixing the anthem thing will be easy, all they have to do is follow the NBA's lead and that issue is dead.

The other issues though have to be addressed and those will be very, very, very difficult to fix. It's going to be a challenge to change those things.

FYI one key demographic is really, really pissed........women. And not because of the kneeling, because of the fact that players who beat women get a slap on the wrist and criminal charges really never get pressed. The Ray Rice video was a BIG deal and when people found out the guys in the NFL office in NY saw the tape but didn't change the 2 game suspension that was the REAL turd in the punchbowl. Public pressure and sponsor pressure is what moved the needle and that was a giant stain on "The Shield".

In two years nobody will be talking about the kneeling, but the Rice situation will be a stain forever.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Name those stadiums..........the stuff that's been redone or replaced has for the most part been outdated and worn venues.

Kroenke isn't the first owner to build his own stadium or the second, third fourth etc, so it won't effect any new deals. And the NFL isn't the only sport where owners have done it.
Of the last 15 stadiums built, how many were paid for by an NFL owner or even close to being privately funded to the tune that SK is playing?

And off the top of my head, Jacksonville and Tampa are two teams in your neck of the woods that have talked about needing new stadiums instead of retrofits.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Of the last 15 stadiums built, how many were paid for by an NFL owner or even close to being privately funded to the tune that SK is playing?

And off the top of my head, Jacksonville and Tampa are two teams in your neck of the woods that have talked about needing new stadiums instead of retrofits.

That wasn't what you said, or what I asked.

Several teams have gotten new or retrofitted stadiums even though they were not in poor shape.

The NFL has had several stadiums redone, but they were all in need.

There are how many stadiums that need to be upgraded now?

Goodell has led the biggest fleecing of taxpayers for venues in pro sports history with favorable leases and parking and concession deals.

It's as important as the TV revenues.

The only regional issues have been in California where taxpayers just don't give a fuck about paying for a stadium. That's why the Raiders and Chargers were granted the right to move.

Which by the way is another reason people are tuning out............they are sick of the NFL doing this shit.

Hear it here first. That stadium in LA will host a lot of big concerts because football is not going to support the overhead. DELETED is not building that venue for 16 football games.

He doesn't care about 16 Sundays out of 365 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Although my profile shows me joining in 5/11, I was "lurking" for about a year as X put it back then. Those were the days when he personally welcomed new fans to ROD.