ROD Pick 19 Poll (Pre-Combine Edition)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

At pick No. 19, the Rams select:

• Laita Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Jared Verse, EDGE, FSU

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

• Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL, Oregon

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

• Someone else (specify below)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Trade (up or down)

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
For his draft status, blowing up the combine would be huge. Bummer that he won't be there. I think he would have been tops in several categories and people would have been shocked.

WestCoastRam

Legend
For his draft status, blowing up the combine would be huge. Bummer that he won't be there. I think he would have been tops in several categories and people would have been shocked.
Why? Combine is for fans now other than medicals (it was important for the other stuff back in the 80s-90s when information wasn't as easily gathered). Half the drills aren't important and all the important ones will be at his pro day and team workouts.

Bad teams in in 80s/90s and early aughts got caught up in workout numbers and drafted guys but all front offices now have built competent scouting processes that combine numbers are only used to recheck tape... if say a time is slow, scouts will go back and review tape to see if they missed something. It's not a determinate, it's a double check.

Sure some media will say guys are rocketing up boards but what that means is that they finally heard about teams boards and their analysis was way off.

Edit: God I miss Al Davis, got a great 40 time and nothing else. Al's gonna make the pick!

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Easily Quinyon Mitchell. He's a ballhawk and a dominant shutdown corner; he had a ridiculous passer rating against him. And aside from the Mizzou cornerbacks (I don't think Rakestraw is a first round talent, and KAD should be rated much higher than he is.), I don't trust the vast majority of the Day 2 corners.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is regarding Latu BTW.

I agree. Similar to the reasoning the Jags took Walker instead of Hutch, pure athletic traits. Did they make a mistake? So far I'd say yes and I thought so when they made the pick. Hopefully that type of thinking drops him to us. Honestly, he is the absolute perfect edge for us with his incredible versatility.
I think he's perfect for us too. Sometimes I think about it and if every edge was available when we picked I niiiight take Turner over him because of Turner's ridiculous athletic ability. But that's because I think he's a good pass rusher too. Either way, Latu at 19 isn't crazy to me. Problem is I don't wanna wait that long to address the edge lol

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Why? Combine is for fans now other than medicals (it was important for the other stuff back in the 80s-90s when information wasn't as easily gathered). Half the drills aren't important and all the important ones will be at his pro day and team workouts.

Bad teams in in 80s/90s and early aughts got caught up in workout numbers and drafted guys but all front offices now have built competent scouting processes that combine numbers are only used to recheck tape... if say a time is slow, scouts will go back and review tape to see if they missed something. It's not a determinate, it's a double check.

Sure some media will say guys are rocketing up boards but what that means is that they finally heard about teams boards and their analysis was way off.
Your not wrong. I hope he at least goes to the combine for their medical tests to see how is injury is healing. BTW - does anyone actually know what the injury is/was? There seems to be some kind of secrecy around it, which leads me to think it might be lis franc or far worse then expected?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Your not wrong. I hope he at least goes to the combine for their medical tests to see how is injury is healing. BTW - does anyone actually know what the injury is/was? There seems to be some kind of secrecy around it, which leads me to think it might be lis franc or far worse then expected?
Yeah, he'll be at combine to do medical.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Broken fibula.

“Walk it off!”
- Jack Youngblood

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Latu scares the crap out of me with the medical. Would not be shocked if he ends up being a 2nd or 3rd round pick cause of them.

He'll probably go late 1st.
I just heard about his situation today. Washington told him his career was over (neck issues). He goes to UCLA and that doc clears him. 2 yrs at UCLA. Could be an amazing story. Could be a couple of mil and sayronara. I'd be leery.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I just heard about his situation today. Washington told him his career was over (neck issues). He goes to UCLA and that doc clears him. 2 yrs at UCLA. Could be an amazing story. Could be a couple of mil and sayronara. I'd be leery.
Schrodinger's medicals! He both is and isn't a 1st round prospect!

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Of those options, Verse. I prefer Turner, but he probably won’t reach us and I don’t want to give up draft picks to trade up.
Did a mock and got to 15 and able to grab Turner. Didn't cost as much as I thought though apparently that AI is drunk 24/7.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I wouldn't be surprised if we traded out of the first round and got some extra picks for 2024 and 2025. Remember, he did something similar in 2019 and we ended up with Taylor Rapp in the late second.
You say that like it was a good thing...

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I assume you mean day two picks?

Personally, I’d stay at nineteen, as we’re going to have some quality prospects available, but you’re probably right in saying that we’ll trade down.

Lol yes, good catch

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I was listening to NFL channel and they said Verse attended Albany, red shirting his first year. Second year was covid.....they played 4 games. Third year they played 11 and he did well. Transferred to FSU and did real well both years. 72 plays behind the LOS, an average of over 2.0 per game. Rare. They said he has the frame to go to 265.....he said he has been as high as 260. I saw a few FSU games.....dude can play the run well and gets off quickly. We could do worse.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just out of curiosity, let's say we get Hunter in FA, do people still want an edge here?

What if we get Z'Darius Smith in FA? Does that change the equation?