River's 1'st 2021 Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But, my comments were in regards to how he was looking at center during camp via the reports I read. I didn't even get into his play at guard with caused the team to replace him with some kid the Rams cut I think.

Could he make the switch now with a different staff? Sure. But, I wouldn't go into an offseason banking on it as the transition just has to be harder than going from OT to OG.

Edit. I got lost in the extremely long paragraph, but in re-reading your mock draft I see that you have a center drafted to compete.

I think you may be referring to Eric Kush who played for the Rams in either 2015 or 2016. Kush was brought in as a back-up Center to Tretter in 2019 as the writing was pretty much already on the wall for Corbett's future in Cleveland.
Yes, I have a Center being drafted in the 3'rd round of my mock, more as a back-up behind Corbett for the present. I had earlier mentioned, in that long paragraph, that I also have a willingness to trade Bryan Allen if necessary to sweeten the deal. Not only is last seasons Chargers LT a current free agent, so too are Mike Pouncey & Dan Feeney at Center.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would say two reasons: (1) you put your best five out there (Blythe failed miserably at RG last year), and (2) we didn't have a full off-season and preseason to test out our OL combinations and get Corbett ready if he was able to make the switch. Blythe, Corbett, and Edwards started inside last year. Keeping that combo gave us continuity and a Center who was experienced playing the position in live action.
The lack of preseason is a valid reason to start the season with Blythe at C, but with Blythes struggles, why not see what Corbett has during practice?

I know you are in the Corbett camp to start him at C next year.
I'm just not seeing him as the solution.
Neither Corbett or Blythe was very impressive this year.
We certainly shouldn't put all the blame on Blythe for our interior line woes, though.
Didn't he play RG 2 years ago between Sully and Hav?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The lack of preseason is a valid reason to start the season with Blythe at C, but with Blythes struggles, why not see what Corbett has during practice?

We certainly shouldn't put all the blame on Blythe for our interior line woes, though.

I thought Corbett was pretty impressive at RG this season, please remember he had never played the position before. Sure, there's a learning curve and he wasn't always perfect, but a baptism by fire is pretty normal for a young player trying to nail down a new job. 2019 was also Corbett's first starts at LG for the near half season following his trade and initial belief he was going to become a Center with the Rams. Transitioning from LG to RG isn't an automatic success story, but Corbett made it work. Corbett succeeded playing between a bad Center and a RT who had a miserable 2019. Corbett was forced to start at LG following the Bryan Allen 2019 injury, even though he had been practicing in his few short weeks here to potentially replace Allen once he learned the calls. I'm not sure what kind of expectations fans had for him, but if he can move from RG to Center as easily as he did from LG to RG without ever playing either position prior, then I see what may be a long career for the guy. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He did. And he ended up being the weak link on that OL in the playoffs. Then, he got abused so badly early in the 2019 season that we moved him to Center. Why do you not see what Corbett has during practice at C? Because he's your starting RG and is playing above average football. Noteboom got hurt early in the season, which left us with complete unknowns behind Corbett. Evans had only played RT in 2019, and Anchrum was a rookie. By the time Noteboom returned, Whitworth was injured.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Corbett was pretty impressive at RG this season, please remember he had never played the position before. Sure, there's a learning curve and he wasn't always perfect, but a baptism by fire is pretty normal for a young player trying to nail down a new job. 2019 was also Corbett's first starts at LG for the near half season following his trade and initial belief he was going to become a Center with the Rams. Transitioning from LG to RG isn't an automatic success story, but Corbett made it work. Corbett succeeded playing between a bad Center and a RT who had a miserable 2019. Corbett was forced to start at LG following the Bryan Allen 2019 injury, even though he had been practicing in his few short weeks here to potentially replace Allen once he learned the calls. I'm not sure what kind of expectations fans had for him, but if he can move from RG to Center as easily as he did from LG to RG without ever playing either position prior, then I see what may be a long career for the guy. jmo.

Yeah, I don't get the negative opinions on Corbett. He was an above average to good RG for us. The only complaint I had with him was being more penalty prone than the other OLs. But otherwise, he played the spot well. Blythe was the consistent weak link. The other four guys played good football. That doesn't mean they didn't have some bad moments or games, but over the course of the year, I was happy with what Whitworth, Edwards, Corbett, and Havenstein gave us.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He did. And he ended up being the weak link on that OL in the playoffs. Then, he got abused so badly early in the 2019 season that we moved him to Center. Why do you not see what Corbett has during practice at C? Because he's your starting RG and is playing above average football. Noteboom got hurt early in the season, which left us with complete unknowns behind Corbett. Evans had only played RT in 2019, and Anchrum was a rookie. By the time Noteboom returned, Whitworth was injured.
I wouldn't consider Corbett play at RG above average.

My biggest fear is going into next season, expecting different results, with the same group.

We've all seen way too many years of poor line play. Way too many.
Its long over due that we maintain a standard for that group and hold too it.
We had some very bad lines between the GSOT and 2017.
Whether it was a FA signing or a high draft pick, we just couldn't get it right, until we signed Whit and Sully to play with Saffold and Hav.

I'm beyond sick of seeing these units subpar. (Excluding '17 and '18 obviously)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't consider Corbett play at RG above average.

My biggest fear is going into next season, expecting different results, with the same group.

I would. And I'm not saying to go into next year with the same group. I think we need to upgrade on Blythe. But I don't think the OL needs a massive overhaul. Upgrade on the weak link (Blythe), and we'll have a very good unit.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not ready to entirely give up on Corbett, I'm just beyond the point of being patient with this group. 2 years in a row of bad line play is too much

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would. And I'm not saying to go into next year with the same group. I think we need to upgrade on Blythe. But I don't think the OL needs a massive overhaul. Upgrade on the weak link (Blythe), and we'll have a very good unit.
I hope you both are correct, because I cant stomach another year of what we've experienced the past 2 years.
We finally have a solid, capable QB and he's being wasted behind that unit.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not ready to entirely give up on Corbett, I'm just beyond the point of being patient with this group. 2 years in a row of bad line play is too much

I understand having high expectations, I just believe you are focusing on the wrong guy while seeking blame. Without question Blythe is our weak link on the OL. The problem, per usual, is we have too few draft picks and too little CAP money to build the team in our own vision overnight.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I understand having high expectations, I just believe you are focusing on the wrong guy while seeking blame. Without question Blythe is our weak link on the OL. The problem, per usual, is we have too few draft picks and too little CAP money to build the team in our own vision overnight.
I believe completely that Blythe was weakest of the group. I'm just not sure he was the only problem.

We had an interior of Saffold, Sully and Blythe and it worked well. Blythe still had issues, but that group was far and away better than the Note/Evans/Edwards, Blythe, Corbett.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I hope you both are correct, because I cant stomach another year of what we've experienced the past 2 years.
We finally have a solid, capable QB and he's being wasted behind that unit.

The Rams have multiple options heading into 2021.
1) We can use our highest draft pick on a Center and hope the rookie is prepared to start in the NFL.
2) We can use our highest draft pick on an OT as preparation for Whitworth's eventual retirement and have him slide into a temporary RT or OG position while moving Corbett to Center.
3) We can move Corbett to Center and fill the RG position with an in-house candidate like Evans, Demby, Anchrum or Brewer.
4) We can re-sign Blythe and learn to pray harder.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Rams have multiple options heading into 2021.
1) We can use our highest draft pick on a Center and hope the rookie is prepared to start in the NFL.
2) We can use our highest draft pick on an OT as preparation for Whitworth's eventual retirement and have him slide into a temporary RT or OG position while moving Corbett to Center.
3) We can move Corbett to Center and fill the RG position with an in-house candidate like Evans, Demby, Anchrum or Brewer.
4) We can re-sign Blythe and learn to pray harder.
Demby. I don't get that one either.

We definitely have bodies.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Demby. I don't get that one either.

We definitely have bodies.

If we stay in-house, i'm still holding out hope for Brewer, but sitting out the year because of Covid, who knows if he's in football shape. Anchrum I just don't know enough about. Evans has had more opportunities, but so far other than perhaps at back-up RT, I haven't seen anything great out of him recently. Demby is the enigma, management apparently likes him enough to keep him on the payroll, but we fans have pretty much dismissed him as a legitimate option.
My mock calls for a 2'nd OT/OG to also compete with these previously mentioned 4 players.
jmo.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
i did not watch corbett a hole lot but when i did a lot of the time he never had anyone on his nose. during those times he seemed to help hav whos guy was going to the outside. at the same time blythe was getting pushed back into the qb's face so he had no where to step forward. any way when i watched corbett he seemed to want to help hav and wound up blocking no one. this move corbett to center is one of those hope for the best and expect the worst thing.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
i did not watch corbett a hole lot but when i did a lot of the time he never had anyone on his nose. during those times he seemed to help hav whos guy was going to the outside. at the same time blythe was getting pushed back into the qb's face so he had no where to step forward. any way when i watched corbett he seemed to want to help hav and wound up blocking no one. this move corbett to center is one of those hope for the best and expect the worst thing.

The Rams have been playing with fire at the Center position for well over a decade, and other than John Sullivan's 2017 season, the Rams have come to regret it every time, so you would assume they may want to approach things a little differently. What is the definition of insanity ? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

2007) Brett Romberg
2008) Nicky Leckey
2009) Jason Brown
2010) Jason Brown
2011) Jason Brown
2012) Robert Turner
2013) Scott Wells
2014) Scott Wells
2015) Tim Barnes
2016) Tim Barnes
2017) John Sullivan
2018) John Sullivan
2019) Austin Blythe
2020) Austin Blythe

Unless Bryan Allen has added 10 lbs. of muscle and a good deal more knowledge, what other viable Center prospects would the Rams consider starting besides Austin Corbett, unless it's a quality free agent ? With todays CAP situation, it's pretty difficult to see how we can squeeze in such a free agent. I also find it very hard to believe that McVay would start a rookie Center, especially one drafted at or after our first pick at # 57, seems he would have him beginning at OG while getting his feet wet in the NFL, if in the starting line-up at all. Is Corbett a gamble at Center, ... sure, but he was also a gamble at LG & RG, and it worked out.
jmo.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Hey, that 6th round pick there, Ben Mason, Michigan -- He's also listed as a TE but has experience all over on both sides of the ball. "Bench" Mason, "his defining skill is his ability to lift absurd amounts of weight. His nickname originated in high school, when he bench-pressed 440 pounds, still his highest max." Was voted the team’s “toughest player” as a freshman.

Can this guy play? I'm not a draft nerd and haven't seen this guy play. Could he be a TE/move TE and/or as a replacement to Everett? Physicality, strength and toughness have to be able to help, right?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hey, that 6th round pick there, Ben Mason, Michigan -- He's also listed as a TE but has experience all over on both sides of the ball. "Bench" Mason, "his defining skill is his ability to lift absurd amounts of weight. His nickname originated in high school, when he bench-pressed 440 pounds, still his highest max." Was voted the team’s “toughest player” as a freshman.

Can this guy play? I'm not a draft nerd and haven't seen this guy play. Could he be a TE/move TE and/or as a replacement to Everett? Physicality, strength and toughness have to be able to help, right?

I love this kid, it's too bad a coaching change in 2019 pretty much stopped him in his tracks, but he shined as a rookie & sophomore. Twice voted teams toughest player and played both offense & defense. Mason is rated as the top FB coming out of college this year. McVay's first draft in 2017 had him taking FB Sam Rogers (5'10", 235lbs.) in the 6'th round, so i'm hoping he has maintained his interest in the position as Ben Mason is bigger, faster & stronger than Rogers, by a lot. Mason had 7 TD's as a 6'3", 254lbs. FB/HB in 2018 on 33 attempts. He's not a move TE, more of a traditional FB/HB and in-line TE. I've basically got Hopkins filling in Everett's role, Mason can carve out his own niche. He was rarely used as a receiver, although had 1 TD in 3 catches. He's also played as a linebacker & DT and, of course, Special Teams. Akers & Henderson would love having a guy like this plowing holes for them and Mason could be a big and inexpensive help to a sometimes struggling OL. jmo.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WqOMc1N33s

Last edited: