RIP Paul Allen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rest in peace, Paul Allen. He may have owned a despised rival, but he was a genuinely good man.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Paul Allen net worth of 15.8 Billion dollars, and yet the indiscriminate, ultimate villain of the world took him like that,
God I hate cancer
RIP Mr Allen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rest in peace, Mr. Allen.

You were admired by friend and foe alike.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why was he a 'good' man? OUtside of money, that is? Really....
Before you ask the question, might do some research.

http://pgaphilanthropies.org/

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Paul-Allen-s-passions-Rock-n-roll-sports-and-13310179.php
"Those fortunate to achieve great wealth should put it to work for the good of humanity," Allen wrote several years ago, when he announced that he was giving the bulk of his fortune to charity. He said that pledge "reminds us all that our net worth is ultimately defined not by dollars but rather by how well we serve others."

Good man!

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why was he a 'good' man? OUtside of money, that is? Really....
He actually used his money to build museums, youth facilities, funded clean up efforts of beaches and parks, etc.

He actually did a lot of great things. He was pretty much a recluse rather than some blatant rich guy so many don’t know much about him. I lived in the NW so we probably got more info.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
He actually used his money to build museums, youth facilities, funded clean up efforts of beaches and parks, etc.

He actually did a lot of great things. He was pretty much a recluse rather than some blatant rich guy so many don’t know much about him. I lived in the NW so we probably got more info.

Yeah he was not evil like many of the other NFL owners.He was one of the few good ones out there.

ANOTHER great thing he did was he is one of the few owners in the NFL i held respect for because he did the right thing.The Seahawks were trying to relocate to LA back in the late 90's when the owner they had back then wanted to move out here to LA and they would have gone ahead and succeeded if it were not for Paul Allen who stepped in at the last second and bought them and kept them in seattle. we as ram fans owe him a great amount of gratitude and thanks for doing the right thing because had the former owner before him got his wish,we never would have got our Rams back here in LA where they belong. anybody here remember that when Ken Bering i think was the name of the former owner before him who tried to move the seahawks here and if not for paul allen taking over was on his way out here?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Considering what Mr. Allen did by buying the Hawks and then building a state of the art stadium in Seattle. He saved professional football in the North West.

Whenever he is eligible, he will be a HOFer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah he was not evil like many of the other NFL owners.He was one of the few good ones out there.

ANOTHER great thing he did was he is one of the few owners in the NFL i held respect for because he did the right thing.The Seahawks were trying to relocate to LA back in the late 90's when the owner they had back then wanted to move out here to LA and they would have gone ahead and succeeded if it were not for Paul Allen who stepped in at the last second and bought them and kept them in seattle. we as ram fans owe him a great amount of gratitude and thanks for doing the right thing because had the former owner before him got his wish,we never would have got our Rams back here in LA where they belong. anybody here remember that when Ken Bering i think was the name of the former owner before him who tried to move the seahawks here and if not for paul allen taking over was on his way out here?
Yeah. I was living in the NW at the time. It’s hard to say if it was a ruse to get a new stadium as the owner really couldn’t afford to move OR pony up enough for his part. The shehawks were in real financial difficulties back then.

Allen not only stepped up to keep the NFL in Seattle but also the Blazers in Portland.

Personally, I loved the move of placing the shehawks in our division as it meant I got to travel to Seattle for a game each year and created a pretty great venue for rivalry among many of my shehawk fan friends. I doubt that would have happened had Allen not stepped up.

What’s funny is that as much as people laud the crazed fan atmosphere in Seattle, we never had a problem getting large sections of pretty good seats in the new stadium up there as well.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
Yeah. I was living in the NW at the time. It’s hard to say if it was a ruse to get a new stadium as the owner really couldn’t afford to move OR pony up enough for his part. The shehawks were in real financial difficulties back then.

Allen not only stepped up to keep the NFL in Seattle but also the Blazers in Portland.

Personally, I loved the move of placing the shehawks in our division as it meant I got to travel to Seattle for a game each year and created a pretty great venue for rivalry among many of my shehawk fan friends. I doubt that would have happened had Allen not stepped up.

What’s funny is that as much as people laud the crazed fan atmosphere in Seattle, we never had a problem getting large sections of pretty good seats in the new stadium up there as well.

thats cool that he stepped in and saved the Blazers in portland also.did not know about that one since i never follow basketball.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So... I tried to look up Stan Kroenke philanthropies... lots on Allen... nothing on Kroenke.

Just sayin'...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
thats cool that he stepped in and saved the Blazers in portland also.did not know about that one since i never follow basketball.
Yeah - of course he almost ruined them by hiring Whitsett (sp?). Oh well. Water under the bridge. I’m a Laker fan but it was tough to not like the Blazers with Porter, Drexler, Kersey, Buck, etc... Whitsett dismantled that and went total crime wave - the Trail Gangsta days.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

pl9ym.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah - of course he almost ruined them by hiring Whitsett (sp?). Oh well. Water under the bridge. I’m a Laker fan but it was tough to not like the Blazers with Porter, Drexler, Kersey, Buck, etc... Whitsett dismantled that and went total crime wave - the Trail Gangsta days.
Yes, I was in Portland for Porter, Kersey, and Clyde the Slide Drexler...I was still a Lakers fan at the time, but still the support in Portland metro was contagious...very small town in a big city kind of stuff, like collages of the Blazers in people windows....When the NBA went "Gangsta" I'd had enough with the sport.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yes, I was in Portland for Porter, Kersey, and Clyde the Slide Drexler...I was still a Lakers fan at the time, but still the support in Portland metro was contagious...very small town in a big city kind of stuff, like collages of the Blazers in people windows....When the NBA went "Gangsta" I'd had enough with the sport.
Small point. It was Clyde the Glide.

I met Keesey a couple of times, Duckworth was a good friend of a bar owner friend of mine and I met Porter as well. All really fan friendly.

My wife was having a show at the old Brasserie Mont Marte ( no longer there) and Kersey was there with a big group. He was with the Lakers then. I hate bothering stars and athletes but I couldn’t help but walk up and tell him how much I appreciated him as a Blazer and now a Laker. He just turned and said a simple but genuine “thanks. I appreciate it man”. Good guy. He used to drive around West Lynn in his convertible Chevy Caprice. Hard to miss because I don’t think he could put the top up if he wanted.

Sad about Duckworth. He was a good guy but was almost 500 lbs when he passed. He never could keep his weight down.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Small point. It was Clyde the Glide.

I met Keesey a couple of times, Duckworth was a good friend of a bar owner friend of mine and I met Porter as well. All really fan friendly.

My wife was having a show at the old Brasserie Mont Marte ( no longer there) and Kersey was there with a big group. He was with the Lakers then. I hate bothering stars and athletes but I couldn’t help but walk up and tell him how much I appreciated him as a Blazer and now a Laker. He just turned and said a simple but genuine “thanks. I appreciate it man”. Good guy. He used to drive around West Lynn in his convertible Chevy Caprice. Hard to miss because I don’t think he could put the top up if he wanted.

Sad about Duckworth. He was a good guy but was almost 500 lbs when he passed. He never could keep his weight down.
haha...I saw in the alerts that you quoted my post and before I opened it I thought "Clyde the Glide Drexler! 503's gonna give me shyte! lol.

Yes, Duck could never maintain weight. This was still in the days before the internet was way popular and the Rams news was still coming from Industry mags and box scores about the Rams (The Oregonian)