Richie Incognito Is Back, and He’s Among the NFL’s Best

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Richie will explode in 5...4...3....2...1

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
just thinkin of many people i have met and worked with throughout my life - and not one of them has ever joked about raping or gang raping someone's sister..

ask if they're single, hot, cute,etc? Sure. But ever joke about raping them? nope
I agree that for the most part that is the extent but there are some guys I was in the navy with that would sometimes cross the line just to try and rile you up.

iced

I agree that for the most part that is the extent but there are some guys I was in the navy with that would sometimes cross the line just to try and rile you up.

oh I agree - however if anyone said "I'm going to rape your sister" would be met with a fist or would immediately be brought up on charges/sent to DRB... they don't even kid around with sexual harassment complaints - and saying you're going to rape would come with an intent. I considered actually being a SAVI (sexual assault victim intervention) rep as part of my home duty, but I didn't end up doing it in the long run...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
oh I agree - however if anyone said "I'm going to rape your sister" would be met with a fist or would immediately be brought up on charges/sent to DRB... they don't even kid around with sexual harassment complaints - and saying you're going to rape would come with an intent. I considered actually being a SAVI (sexual assault victim intervention) rep as part of my home duty, but I didn't end up doing it in the long run...
Must be today's navy, I don't think there was suck a thing in the submarine service in the 70-80s

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I understand what you are saying here - however, as a Seabee in the navy (or a military construction crew), we picked on each for a lot of things, but never in the context that Incognito has.. Family has always been a touchy subject, but joking about raping/gang raping one's sister I don't think would be condoned in any work place, particularly a construction site. We're not talking about commenting about how a girl looks, or maybe even teasing by like saying you might hope to score on a date - no, we're talking flat out rape/gang rape..

Guys joke about friend's sisters at times - but they never joke about raping one's sisters

Never?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Never. I've heard at the worst guys saying they'll get lucky, but never rape.

I've heard guys joke about raping each others mothers. They would torment each other or certain guys like that until they fought back. And that is mild compared to some of the raunchy stuff I heard some of the young guys say to each other. I guess your tough, Immature, dumb, crass crowd wasn't as tough, immature, dumb and crass as mine.

Remember Incognito was not the average joe. He had deep seeded anger issues stemming from childhood. I worked with young men that had drug and alcohol problems, Rape victims, dropouts, abuse victims all between 18 and 22 mostly. Nearly every one of them had emotional issues stemming from parenting, or lack there of. It was probably a more similar crowd to Incognito than the guy next door. They were coming to my program to be taught how to go to work and keep a job as well as social, life and workplace skills. They had no filters. Hopefully they all did by the time they left me, but it is very difficult to change 18-20 years of conditioning in a year.

iced

I've heard guys joke about raping each others mothers. They would torment each other or certain guys like that until they fought back. And that is mild compared to some of the raunchy stuff I heard some of the young guys say to each other. I guess your tough, Immature, dumb, crass crowd wasn't as tough, immature, dumb and crass as mine.

Remember Incognito was not the average joe. He had deep seeded anger issues stemming from childhood. I worked with young men that had drug and alcohol problems, Rape victims, dropouts, abuse victims all between 18 and 22 mostly. Nearly every one of them had emotional issues stemming from parenting, or lack there of. It was probably a more similar crowd to Incognito than the guy next door. They were coming to my program to be taught how to go to work and keep a job as well as social, life and workplace skills. They had no filters. Hopefully they all did by the time they left me, but it is very difficult to change 18-20 years of conditioning in a year.

I think there's a different line that was crossed when one specifically texts or leaves a voicemail for a guy - and i understand Martin wasn't "Tough enough" in some of their eyes, but i guarantee you had he said that to me or inekmpali , his jaw would be broken. period. you can make all the jokes you want - hot.cute, chance to score, etc. but you moment you tell me "i'm gonna rape" or "Gang rape your sister" , gloves are off my friend..

how would you react if one or a couple of co-workers texted you that/left voice mail on your phone? we're past having fun and bravado at that point, and i can't think of a single guy i served with that wouldn't beat your ass for threatening to rape someone, let alone your family or spouse

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It all depends on the person and what I expect of him. You make too much of it. None of us really know the relationships that he garnered in that locker room. The fact that other Olinemen stood up for him suggests that one guy just couldn't take it.

The coach that charged Richie with toughening Martin up is the biggest dumbass because he basically gave him permission to cross the line to get the job done.

iced

It all depends on the person and what I expect of him. You make too much of it. None of us really know the relationships that he garnered in that locker room. The fact that other Olinemen stood up for him suggests that one guy just couldn't take it.

The coach that charged Richie with toughening Martin up is the biggest dumbass because he basically gave him permission to cross the line to get the job done.

I don't believe "I'm making too much of it." Hell with one of my friends with the way we interact, people have thought we were fighting - cause we're always going back and forth "F you man!!!" "oh you sum bitch" etc. , and we've had guys who thought we were literally at each others throats...but to me and him, nope , the next day "hey sup man!?" and we act like nothing happened, becuase its all in good fun. So yea I understand what you're saying - but he recently had a baby girl, and I even made a joke once in bad taste about his daughter and lesean mccoy's party, he wasn't too happy.. I apologized and let it go - can only imagine how bad it would have been had I thrown "the r word" in there.

I just think there's a big difference when talking about someone's family/spouse/close friend and using the word "rape" - i mean telling a guy you're gonna get with his sister is kinda testing the boundary lines (something i loved to do with my best friend growing up, was the quickest way to get under his skin), but I'd never ever joke about "raping" someone in a serious context.. I just think that's in bad taste..

And lets also remember Incognito has a shady history with sexual assault...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ilence-suggests-incognito-reached-settlement/

combine a guys history with his statement/threats, and yea he'd get a can of whoop ass...

walt189

UDFA
Name
Walt
Two responses to two of your posts.

First the above.....

I loathed Vick for what he did, and I'm a cat guy not a dog guy, but it was SO heinous that I was hoping he got booted out of the NFL for good. About a year after he was reinstated I saw an interview with him and you could tell he was a changed man. He was remorseful and had come to the realization that what he did was stupid and disgusting and he regretted what he did but not because of the outrage and the fact he went to jail and lost millions. I'm not a fan of his as a QB, or as a person but he may actually be a "reclamation".

I guess time will tell.
<snip>

I think your assessment of Vick is about right. I'm not a fan of his play as a quarterback but he does seem to have matured. He was a positive presence in the Eagles locker Room during Riley Cooper's fiasco and appeared to take his demotion well. I guess 18 months in Leavenworth convinced him he was not as invulnerable as he thought.

Has a year out of the league taught Richie the same lesson? We'll see, I guess.

Last edited: