Richie Incognito Is Back, and He’s Among the NFL’s Best

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/01/richie-incognito-return-buffalo-bills-nfl-best-guards-pff-0

Richie Incognito Is Back, and He’s Among the NFL’s Best

One year after no one in the NFL would sign him in the wake of the bullying scandal, Richie Incognito is back. Not only has he been on his best behavior, he has rewarded Rex Ryan’s Bills by outperforming almost every other guard in the NFL

richie-incognito-bills-dolphins.jpg

Marc Serota for Sports Illustrated

By Neil Hornsby

This is an article about guards. But it’s also about why bad players sometimes take the field while other, far better players, like Richie Incognito, sit at home.

If you’ll indulge me for a moment, I’ll digress slightly before circling back to pure football.

The NFL really isn’t like a lot of businesses you come across. It’s a strange mix of limited human resources with enormous external visibility. Just to be clear, when I say “human resources” I’m not just talking about a lack of quality guards, I’m also referring to general managers and other roles of that ilk. While the reason (and indeed the fact of) offensive linemen generally struggling when entering the NFL is a topic for another day, let’s consider GMs for a moment.

In most industries there isn’t usually a requirement for management level employees to have an intimate knowledge of the business when they first arrive. They bring other skills; process management, IT, recruitment, negotiation, management, etc. A tool set, if you will, that they then utilize in their new role as they get to grips with say, running a telco instead of manufacturing light bulbs. And all this happens outside the media spotlight.

As a company CTO, I don’t go home listening to pundits on talk radio telling me the infrastructure manager I just hired is a bum, or spend my breakfast reading as Peter King illustrates how I’d botched my budget strategy.

My point is: There’s a limited number of these GM jobs, most of the employers insist it requires an in-depth knowledge of football, and a gazillion people all think they can do it better than the incumbent. Add to that the fact that, unlike coaches, there has been little desire for retreads among players. You lose a job, good luck finding someone to give you a mulligan.

There’s more. As Michael Lewis so eloquently described baseball in Moneyball as a social club, so is, to some degree, football. Many writers and commentators have been around it as long as the coaches, and if you challenge conventional wisdom, don’t always expect a logical debate. (For instance, there are those who believe sack stats are still the be-all end-all of pass rusher performance, and with others you might as well tell them the earth revolves around the sun as argue production trumps measurables.)

richie-incognito-bills-sideline.jpg

Incognito has been huge for the Bills through three games. Meanwhile, the Dolphins have struggled to replace him. (Marc Serota for Sports Illustrated)

A natural human instinct to maximize tenure is camouflage; blend in with the rest of the heard and keep your head down. Even if you are convinced Tim Tebow is a far better option at back-up quarterback than Ryan Lindley Tebow is still the football equivalent of a zebra painting itself yellow. Last offseason, signing Richie Incognito came with a similar set of issues.

When player personnel guys asked me who the better free agent guards available were, I eventually gave up mentioning Incognito’s name. There are only so many raised eyebrows and furrowed brows you need to see to get the message.

The Bills finally broke from that conventional wisdom. Since his return, Incognito has played well. Through Week 3 he is PFF’s third-rated guard*, a smidgeon behind perennial Ravens All-Pro Marshal Yanda and Gabe Jackson, the Raiders’ budding star (you heard his name here first).

Incognito has given up a single QB disruption (a hit on Tyrod Taylor on which his signal-caller still got away a touchdown throw) and run-blocked impressively. Reach, double-team, second level, pull—I can give you positive examples of every type of block. In fact he has graded “above average” in every single facet of play in every game.

Watching him, ironically, the word that comes to mind is “disciplined”. No penalties, no chat (well not that I saw), no issues; simply put, he looks like someone (to paraphrase Bill Belichick) just doing his job.

While the absolute level of his play and personal restraint may be a surprise, the fact he’s a good player shouldn’t be. In 2013, before his suspension, he was our 14th overall ranked guard and eighth-rated left guard. But when his suspension lifted in February 2014 he was hardly deluged with offers.

It’s possible his age (32) was a contributory factor. Another red flag for GMs is signing aging veterans just before their performance wanes—the NFL equivalent of being left holding the bag. For instance, despite being one of the three best guards in football in each of the last four years (Yanda and Green Bay’s Josh Sitton being the others), Evan Mathis didn’t get signed until the end of August. And even then he signed as only the 12th-highest paid left guard in football, according to overthecap.com.

However, Incognito’s salary cap number is not one third that of Mathis. And what has happened in Miami since the Dolphins dumped Incognito like the proverbial hot potato? Varying combinations of Nate Garner, Shelly Smith and Dallas Thomas all played left guard and struggled badly, culminating with Miami as our lowest rated OL in 2014.

This year the situation has, if anything, got worse. The 28 QB disruptions given up by the Miami guard pairing is worst in the NFL by some margin, and certainly a contributory factor to quarterback Ryan Tannehill’s poor play.

While we will need to see this through to the end of the season, for the moment Doug Whaley deserves praise for sticking his head over the NFL parapet. And if Incognito keeps playing like this, maybe he’ll win the league’s Comeback Player of the Year award.

No? You’re right. That’s probably a step too far for club members.

Neil Hornsby is the president of football operations at profootballfocus.com.
-----------
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/28/nfl-week-3-monday-morning-qb#Incognito

Three questions for… Richie Incognito

But first, a stat: Through three games, the former Dolphins guard—as mentioned above, Pro Football Focus’s top-rated guard in the NFL—has surrendered one quarterback disruption (either a quarterback sack, hit or pressure) for Buffalo. The Dolphins’ starting guards have given up 26.

My sense is Incognito will enjoy that one.

Speaking from the Bills’ locker room after Buffalo’s 41-14 rout of his former team, Incognito reflected on his successful return to the game.

The MMQB: What was important against such a good defensive front in keep Tyrod Taylor clean?

Incognito:
We came out and wanted to move the pocket with Tyrod. They are such a good one-gap penetrating team that we wanted to move him so they wouldn’t know where he’d be. For me, the important thing was to take out the emotion of coming back here. And I was able to do that, to take the emotion out and just go play a football game. In my younger days, I think my emotions would have gotten the best of me and who knows how I would have handled a day like today.

The MMQB: Do you regret not being signed last year, even though you were eligible to play, and missing the entire season?

Incognito:
I do. A big part of me wishes I played last year. I missed the game. But I was able to work on a lot of things, so when I got my chance this year, I’d be ready. And the way it’s worked out is great—to get a chance here with Rex Ryan. I’m grateful [GM] Doug Whaley took a chance on me, and [owners] Terry and Kim Pegula. They showed faith in me, and I appreciate it.

The MMQB: When you say you worked on a lot of things—what exactly did you work on?

Incognito:
I spent my year off polishing my craft. A year and a half, really. It was a long time. But I worked on myself physically and mentally. I went to Exos Sports in Arizona and worked with a trainer, Brett Bartholomew, on all parts of my body. When you play year after year, even after an off-season, you enter the next year and something might be bugging you physically.

Overall, taking a year off at this stage of my career—even though I wanted to play last year—has been a huge positive. And it’s been amazing coming back and playing again, after what happened [with the bullying scandal with Jonathan Martin]. You keep working and working and working, and good things can happen. It says something about the human spirit and second chances.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fuck this guy. I can't believe that this piece of shit has a job while Martin has been railroaded out of the league.

Memento

Name
Jemma
He's better at his job than Martin. That's all really that matters.

So it doesn't matter that this guy is a goddamned psychopath and has been a goddamned psychopath since his college days? He's a monster who keeps getting chances that he doesn't deserve. Kicked out of Nebraska, kicked out of Oregon, booted off the Rams and Dolphins for his being an asshole to teammates, fans, and everyone around him.

What really matters to me is that this scum is continuing to leech off of stupid teams while Martin had to retire because he was blackballed. All because of Incognito's actions.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
So it doesn't matter that this guy is a goddamned psychopath and has been a goddamned psychopath since his college days? He's a monster who keeps getting chances that he doesn't deserve. Kicked out of Nebraska, kicked out of Oregon, booted off the Rams and Dolphins for his being an icehole to teammates, fans, and everyone around him.

What really matters to me is that this scum is continuing to leech off of stupid teams while Martin had to retire because he was blackballed. All because of Incognito's actions.

It matters morally of course. But GMs and coaches lose their jobs if they dont win. That's bad for their families etc - so morality here is relative (as so often is the case). If the coach/gm thinks Incognito's effect on the team psyche is negligeble and will lead to more wins - get him signed. He's not leaching a living - he's earning his paycheck by good play.

jjab360

Legend
So it doesn't matter that this guy is a goddamned psychopath and has been a goddamned psychopath since his college days? He's a monster who keeps getting chances that he doesn't deserve. Kicked out of Nebraska, kicked out of Oregon, booted off the Rams and Dolphins for his being an icehole to teammates, fans, and everyone around him.

Incognito is an absolute POS, but he's good at football, sadly. Guys who don't give a shit like Rex Ryan are still going to give him a chance at the end of the day.

Martin otoh just wasn't very good at football, he had his chances..

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
We should start a pool trying to pick when Incogpsycho melts down again and is finally sent home for good..I only know for sure what I saw of him in St. Louis...However, it seems pretty well documented that he's an asshole of the nth degree..I was glad to see Mr. Personal foul go away...His skill set was more than offset by his stupid, costly antics...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
freak this guy. I can't believe that this piece of crap has a job while Martin has been railroaded out of the league.
People change and from what I remember Martin was the bigger piece of crap, turning on a guy he used to work and party with. Cogs was always a far better talent than Martin and I'm happy for him .

Memento

Name
Jemma
People change and from what I remember Martin was the bigger piece of crap, turning on a guy he used to work and party with. Cogs was always a far better talent than Martin and I'm happy for him .

You're remembering wrong. Martin kept his mouth shut until he couldn't take it any longer and Incognito, Jerry, and Pouncey were making racist remarks towards a Japanese assistant trainer as well. Incognito was a much bigger piece of shit than Martin could ever hope to be.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You're remembering wrong. Martin kept his mouth shut until he couldn't take it any longer and Incognito, Jerry, and Pouncey were making racist remarks towards a Japanese assistant trainer as well. Incognito was a much bigger piece of crap than Martin could ever hope to be.
There is nothing wrong with my memory about this situation or who the better player is. Does Cogs has past issues ? Well duh
Is he kicking butt this year? Better than anyone who has replaced him in Miami and StL

It seems you have an exceptional dislike for the guy and are maybe cloudy by that. You're entitled to your opinion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most people like a redemption story. RC will fit into that scenario if he can control himself over a long period of time. We'll see how he reacts when the Bills have a few losses in a row.

The problem with Richie, back in the day, was that he was unpredictable and inconsistent. This finally caused him to be jettisoned by Steve "4 Pillars" Spagnuolo. No one wants a live hand grenade in a huddle. Personally we could use a few more "animals" like him on the O-line - mean as a snake but in control of their emotions. Hope he does well.
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/2733/revisiting-incognito-and-the-rams

Revisiting Incognito and the Rams
11/4/2013

i

The Rams selected Richie Incognito, a guard out of Nebraska, in the third round of the 2005 draft. AP Photo/Jeff Roberson

Nick Wagoner, ESPN Staff Writer

ST. LOUIS -- Through his four-plus seasons in St. Louis, Richie Incognito found himself in the middle of plenty of battles, none bigger than the on-going struggle with himself. It’s a fight that seems to continue nearly four years after he played his final game as a Ram.

The Miami Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely late Sunday night while an investigation continues into his role in the departure of offensive tackle Jonathan Martin from the team.

Arriving in the 2005 NFL draft with a history of off-the-field issues and a serious knee injury that pushed him from possible first-rounder to the third, Incognito’s time in St. Louis was certainly tumultuous. That’s a categorization Incognito wouldn’t deny.

A self described “big kid” when he was in St. Louis, Incognito simply refused to grow up and do what was necessary to be a professional. Off the field, he liked to party, and alcohol and drugs were part of his regular diet. On the field, he had little control of his temper.

Incognito was out of control.

"I mean, we'd have practice the next morning, and I'm out until all hours of the night, running the town," Incognito told NFL.com over the summer. "Drinking. Doing drugs. I was doing everything that a professional athlete should not be doing."

Incognito’s failure to control his rage on the field was ultimately what led to his departure from St. Louis. In 44 games with the Rams, he racked up 38 penalties, including seven for unnecessary roughness, the most of any player during that timeframe.

The game he’s, perhaps, most remembered for –- and not in a good way –- was the Week 10 trip to Seattle in 2006 when he managed to pick up a personal foul and holding penalty after a Steven Jackson rushing touchdown had given the Rams a 22-21 lead with about two and a half minutes to go.

Those infractions cost the Rams 25 yards and a chance at a two-point conversion. Seattle eventually kicked a field goal and won 24-22. That loss loomed huge late in the year, when the Rams finished a game short of winning the NFC West to the Seahawks.

In 2009, Incognito was named the NFL’s dirtiest player by the Sporting News, an “award” voted on by a panel of 99 players. It was a designation that didn’t bother Incognito and one he actually took pride in, claiming other players didn’t care for his intensity level.

Through all of that, there were little to no signs that Incognito and his teammates didn’t get along. He was mostly well liked and respected by many of his teammates, particularly on offense because of his fearless attitude on the field and willingness to stand up for them in the heat of a game.

That doesn’t mean Incognito didn’t have his share of run-ins with teammates and even the fans. During one 2006 training camp practice, Incognito got into a pretty serious altercation with little-known cornerback Dwight Anderson.

The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Incognito and generously listed 5-10, 180-pound Anderson twice had to be separated before Anderson was taken to the locker room to cool down.

There also was the time when Incognito helped escalate a 2007 fight between running back Steven Jackson and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, intervening on Jackson’s behalf and eventually flinging a helmet across the field. He gave himself the nickname “The Sheriff” soon after, saying that he’d take it upon himself to dish out justice to anyone who goes after his running back or quarterback.

In 2008, Incognito drew the ire of Rams fans, criticizing them for not knowing how to cheer or when to cheer for a team that was 2-8 at the time. After that week’s game against Chicago, Incognito taunted fans as they booed him on his way to the locker room after a 27-3 loss.

Still, most of the actual run-ins Incognito had with teammates or anyone else were usually a product of his attempts to protect a teammate, however misguided. And, for whatever it’s worth, Incognito generally was friendly to the local media, though there were occasions when it was hard to know what you were going to get in talking to him.

The Rams finally had enough of Incognito in 2009 after he twice head-butted Titans players and then got into a confrontation with then-coach Steve Spagnuolo.

St. Louis released Incognito two days later. On his way out, Incognito acknowledged that moving on was best for him.

"Honestly, I’m excited for the new opportunity," Incognito told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "My stay in St. Louis hasn’t been a glorious one from the get-go. I came in with a lot of doubts. It hasn’t been -- I’m searching for the word -- everything hasn’t been great.

"So in part, I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I get an opportunity to go play for a new team in a new city. I can get away from the negativity that has surrounded me, that has been surrounding my entire career here in St. Louis. So that I’m looking forward to."

At the time, a fresh start clearly was the best option for the troubled Incognito. The move represented hope that he could find some sort of inner peace and go on to a productive career commensurate with his talent.

Four years later, Incognito doesn’t appear to have found that peace. There have been more fights with opponents and confrontations with teammates along the way.

At his core, though, it’s the fight within Incognito that he just can’t seem to settle.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wanted the Rams to sign him last season. Sorry @Memento I know you are very sensitive to this stuff but how much of what went on do you or I really know. I recall on the Herd that when Miami Olinemen were poled that they unanimously were on Incognitos side on this issue. When it comes to Martin he is just not NFL material because he had a chance in San Francisco where Jim Harbaugh gladly gave him a home. He was released this summer. So for whatever reason he was deemed not good enough. If that is mentally, or emotionally or physically it doesn't matter. I imagine it was a combination of things. Incognito has had time to learn from what happened and I doubt he will let anything go so far again or risk being bitten by it once more. Bottom line is the NFL is having a problem finding good Olinemen and he is one of the best guards in the business.

Do you have a problem with Gregg Williams too? What he did was just as egregious if not more so.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You're remembering wrong. Martin kept his mouth shut until he couldn't take it any longer and Incognito, Jerry, and Pouncey were making racist remarks towards a Japanese assistant trainer as well. Incognito was a much bigger piece of crap than Martin could ever hope to be.

Don't get me wrong Mememto. I know what Incognito did was wrong and I dislike him for it. But the industry is what it is. Its simply about winning. It's not about being a nice guy. Fans demand wins. They don't want their team to be a bunch of winners off the field if they lose on it. Is that wrong? Yeah it probably is. How Martin was treated was abominable. I hope he's in a better place now. Mental health is one of the last frontiers when it comes to actual ilnesses being treated as someone being a bit "weak". I think that's completely wrong. As I say I hope Martin's ok. But really this is a league that rewards thugs and widenecked jocks as long as they perform. Incognito (and was a man ever more ironically named I wonder?) is just doing his job playing football now. Whats happened before is over.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I wanted the Rams to sign him last season. Sorry @Memento I know you are very sensitive to this stuff but how much of what went on do you or I really know. I recall on the Herd that when Miami Olinemen were poled that they unanimously were on Incognitos side on this issue. When it comes to Martin he is just not NFL material because he had a chance in San Francisco where Jim Harbaugh gladly gave him a home. He was released this summer. So for whatever reason he was deemed not good enough. If that is mentally, or emotionally or physically it doesn't matter. I imagine it was a combination of things. Incognito has had time to learn from what happened and I doubt he will let anything go so far again or risk being bitten by it once more. Bottom line is the NFL is having a problem finding good Olinemen and he is one of the best guards in the business.

Do you have a problem with Gregg Williams too? What he did was just as egregious if not more so.

Actually? I don't. Gregg Williams never tried to drive someone to suicide. Gregg Williams never made comments about raping a player's sister. Gregg Williams never threatened assistants because of their ethnicity.

Apples to oranges. What Williams did was wrong, but Incognito's actions were the actions of a psychopath. Williams isn't even at Cog's level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta love "redemption" stories. Players like Incognito and Vick aren't redemption stories. They're scumbags that happen to be good at football.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I read this and just think about the decision to get Tre Mason over Gabe Jackson or Trai Turner in the 3rd round back in 2014. Tho honestly, I was still thinking QB at the time more so than RB or OG (since we just took Robinson in the 1st). Mason was a luxury pick at the time, considering we had Zac Stacey coming off a solid rookie year. Just there was nothing really left on the board at the time. Only the QBs before Mason are really having an impact. Mettenberger did solid work his rookie year but behind Mariotta this year. Mo Alexander in the 4th was also a head scratcher, but I guess we didn't have Barron yet at the time, so there is some sense there.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Another issue is the assumption that the so-called grade of Incognito is correct. I won't include my usual PFF hate lecture, but I will simply cite another source, Football Outsiders, has the Buffalo OL ranked #25 in the NFL. Personally I'm not ready to anoint him "the best left guard in the NFL" just yet.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Gotta love "redemption" stories. Players like Incognito and Vick aren't redemption stories. They're scumbags that happen to be good at football.

I agree, but would change the wording slightly:
Incognito and Vick are guilty of doing bad things in their past.

I'm not certain they still are scumbags, because people can change.
Sometimes people never change.
Sometimes people change for the better, sometimes for the worse.

I'm certainly glad the low points of my life weren't magnified to the public as an exclusive/collective embodiment of what I am as a person.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I agree, but would change the wording slightly:
Incognito and Vick are guilty of doing bad things in their past.

I'm not certain they still are scumbags, because people can change.
Sometimes people never change.
Sometimes people change for the better, sometimes for the worse.

I'm certainly glad the low points of my life weren't magnified to the public as an exclusive/collective embodiment of what I am as a person.

I'm pretty sure you didn't torture dogs to death (Vick) or try to drive someone to suicide (Incognito). They are scum who just so happen to be at the pinnacle of physical perfection, so they can play a game for more money than I will ever see in my life. Vick may say he's changed. I don't believe him for a second. Same with Incognito.