Respect for Elders?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I was thinking. I know Stu.... don't do that. Anyway...… Anyone think there's a chance that if we get the lead, McVay decides not to embarrass Gruden out of respect for his elder and the man that gave him his first coaching job?

I'm not saying he will go so far as to coach to lose but maybe just enough to win without blowing out? I am predicting a blow out in this game. I know I shouldn't because my brain always tells me not to assume. But I can't help it here. So if we get up big, anyone else think we won't go total shecock game on their asses?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope McVay gets to that point in the game, with a nice lead, to ponder if he should embarrass his mentor. I hope he hangs 52 on them like the last time they played the Raiders.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I was thinking. I know Stu.... don't do that. Anyway...… Anyone think there's a chance that if we get the lead, McVay decides not to embarrass Gruden out of respect for his elder and the man that gave him his first coaching job?

I'm not saying he will go so far as to coach to lose but maybe just enough to win without blowing out? I am predicting a blow out in this game. I know I shouldn't because my brain always tells me not to assume. But I can't help it here. So if we get up big, anyone else think we won't go total shecock game on their asses?

I think McVay won't take any chance at losing this game. He never wants to lose, but especially this one. He will probably start taking people out once the lead is insurmountable, but he knows that with Gruden, that would need to be pretty big, or very little time left.

I do expect Kelly to be getting some carries, certainly by the second half. Maybe even Mannion will get into the game eventually.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
SoCal rules!

This is no country for old men.

McVay needs to show the old dog who the alpha dog is now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would hope that he would (show respect for his mentor).

Not sure when it would happen... but, at some point in the game, McVay would know the game's in hand. At that point, put in the second stringers.

It's the professional thing to do and would make me proud of our team and coach.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I agree with those that think McVay will keep the pedal to the metal until the score is insurmountable.

Let’s just hope that that actually happens.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

If McVay tells our players to let up and not play hard, we deserve to lose. There's too much on the line to have that kind of attitude. You play full steam, whistle to whistle, all game long, every game. That's my opinion anyways.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay tells our players to let up and not play hard, we deserve to lose. There's too much on the line to have that kind of attitude. You play full steam, whistle to whistle, all game long, every game. That's my opinion anyways.

What they can do once the lead is insurmountable is give Mannion time with the 1s, as many have been calling for. Let him get used to playing with the top OL and the top receivers for a series or two, so that if he needs to come in and play in the future, he has game experience with those teammates. Of course, that means not just running plays, but actual pass plays for him to work on.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I hate Jon Gruden.

Hopefully we can give him a real reason to look constipated instead of him just posing and making pirate faces. Fuck him.

That is all.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think that McVay will do what he did last season, once the game is out of reach he'll put in the 2's and run out the clock.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Screw letting up, this is one of my favorite Mike Martz moments.
https://nypost.com/2001/10/22/jets-rams-onsides-kick-was-off-sides/

Lol, I remember Herm Edwards trying hard to beat us a few years later. IIRC, they had already clinched a spot in the playoffs and we needed the win to get in. He didn't pull any starters and went all out to beat us. My memory isn't super clear but I thought that was when he had that famous "Hello, you play to win the game!" when he was asked why he didn't pull starters in a meaningless game for them.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, if they are up by 28 by the middle of the 4th, you keep all the starters in there going full steam?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thinking? You need somebody to stop by the bar and check up on you? :LOL:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So, if they are up by 28 by the middle of the 4th, you keep all the starters in there going full steam?
I can't speak for @CanRamFan but unless you're trying to save your starters from wear and tear, yes. You absolutely don't tell the players, "hey guys, slow it down some. I don't want to hurt Jon's feelings." Backups for game experience? Maybe against teams that really suck, but against any half way decent team that can take advantage of those backups the answer is a responding hell no.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With a big lead, I would expect some slowing down. Still try to score - but I would expect McVay to not show things he wants to preserve for later in the season - new looks, special plays, etc. No point in letting game film out on surprises, when they will want to snooker another team with them later on in the season.