Report: Rams Hire John Lilly As Tight Ends Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Report: Rams Hire John Lilly As Tight Ends Coach
By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2...st-louis-coaching-staff-john-lilly-tight-ends

The Rams have taken the former Georgia TE Coach to take over the same position at the NFL level.

Per Benjamin Allbright of Denver's 1340AM, the Los Angeles Rams have hired former Georgia TE Coach John Lilly to take a similar position with the Rams:

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL
The LA #Rams have hired John Lilly as tight ends coach, Lilly was previously the tight ends coach at Georgia.
5:33 PM - 16 Feb 2016

Allbright has shown he's got a well-placed source somewhere in the upper echelons of the franchise. There's no reason not to take his reporting as legitimate.

Prior to his eight-year run as TE Coach at UGA, Lilly was promoted to TE Coach from a recruiting coordinator position during a decade-long stint at Florida State.

Of course, the Rams' tight ends coach last year, Rob Boras, was promoted to offensive coordinator following the firing of Frank Cignetti, Jr., after Week 13. Oddly enough, Cignetti was promoted to the OC slot vacated by Brian Schottenheimer who oversaw Georgia's offense in 2015. That Brian Schottenheimer offense was a large reason why longtime Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt was fired in late November.

It's been an offseason of serious turnover among the coaching staff for the Rams who let go of five various coaches earlier this calendar year prior to hiring former Bears WR and RB Coaches Mike Groh and Skip Peete, respectively.

(UPDATED at 9:00pm ET)

Sounds like ESPN's Adam Caplan actually had the story first.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl
#Rams hired former Georgia TEs coach John Lilly as TEs coach, sources said.
5:31 PM - 16 Feb 2016

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Former Georgia assistant coach headed to NFL
By Seth Emerson

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/former-georgia-coach-headed-to-nfl

ATHENS — The man who was undefeated as Georgia’s offensive play-caller is headed to the NFL.

John Lilly, who stepped in as Georgia’s offensive coordinator in each of the past two bowl games, has been hired by the Los Angeles Rams as their tight ends coach, someone familiar with the situation confirmed.

The news means Lilly will re-join Todd Gurley, the star tailback and NFL rookie of the year – who was sitting courtside at Georgia’s basketball game against Florida on Tuesday night. The Rams also have former Georgia star linebacker Alec Ogletree. And one of his tight ends will be Jared Cook, the former South Carolina tight end who is from the Atlanta area.

Lilly called plays for Georgia in the 24-17 win over Penn State in the TaxSlayer Bowl, as well as the prior season’s rout of Louisville in the Belk Bowl.

Lilly’s entire coaching career has been at the college level. He served as Georgia’s tight ends coach from 2008 until this past season, when he was not retained by new head coach Kirby Smart. Prior to Georgia he worked at Florida State.

The Rams have relocated to Los Angeles from St. Louis for the 2016 seasons. They’re the same organization that Brian Schottenheimer left as offensive coordinator to come to Georgia last year, a move that proved fateful for both parties.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
John Lilly
5539909.jpeg

Hometown:
Beckley, W. Va.
High School:
Woodrow Wilson
Last College:
Guilford '90
Position:
Off. Spec. Teams Coord./TEs Coach
Birthdate:
06/21/1968

John Lilly was named tight ends coach at UGA on Jan. 24, 2008, after serving as tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator at Florida State University from 1998-2007. He added the duty of Offensive Special Teams Coordinator in 2014. Lilly, a native of Beckley, West Virginia, is a 1990 graduate of Guilford College (N.C.).

During his six seasons at UGA the Bulldogs have won 54 games including three bowl victories and two SEC Eastern Division titles. He's been part of an offensive staff that has led Georgia to two consecutive record-setting seasons: Total Yards in a Season (6,547 in 2012 and 6,294 in 2013); Average Yards Per Game (484.2 in `13 and 467.64 in `12); and Most TD's in a Season (72 in 2012 and 58 in `13).

At UGA, he's coached several star TE's including Arthur Lynch (2009-13), a fifth-round draft pick of the Miami Dolphins; Orson Charles, a 2009 Freshman All-American, a consensus All-SEC tight end, AFCA first team All-American, Mackey Award finalist, and fourth round draft choice of the Cincinnati Bengals; and Aron White (2009), named the Most Outstanding Offensive Player in the 2009 Advocare V100 Independence Bowl following his two-TD performance. Lilly has also headed up the Bulldogs' punt team since his arrival in Athens and in 2009 the unit, led by Consensus All-American and Ray Guy Award winning Punter Drew Butler, was first in the nation in Net Punting with an average of 41.95 yards per punt. In 2010 Georgia finished fourth nationally in Net Punting with a 40.6 yard average. He also works with the Bulldog kickers including current Vikings kicker Blair Walsh and UGA All-SEC first team kicker Marshall Morgan.

Lilly's tight ends at FSU were a productive part of the Seminole offens. In 2006, charges recorded 38 catches, the most receptions as a group since 1990 and second-most receptions in FSU history by the tight end position. In 2006, he coached Brandon Warren, the first tight end in school history to receive freshman All-America honors and only the third tight end ever at FSU to receive All-America recognition. In 2005 and '06 his tight ends registered back-to-back seasons with 30 or more catches for the first time since 1990 and '91.

Under Lilly's direction, four of FSU's recruiting classes between 2002 and 2007 were ranked in the top four in the nation. Prior to being named recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach, Lilly served as a graduate assistant (1996-97) and videographer (1995) at FSU. He was an assistant coach at Northwest Guilford High School in Greensboro, N.C., from 1991-94.

Lilly played quarterback, wide receiver and special teams for Guilford and was named recipient of the Golden Helmet Award as the ideal Guilford College player as a senior. He was a Dean's List student all four years at Guilford and was chosen team captain as a senior. Lilly is married to the former Cheryl Brown of Tallahassee, Fla. They have one daughter, Allison Catherine, 4, and one son, Caleb Jackson, 3.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/john_lilly_683486.html

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
maybe he can get something outta Cook....Maybe he knows a secret TE weapon in college....hopefully an ex-power forward...with mitts for hands.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not familiar with Albright as an insider, did he break other news besides this news, that he didn't really break?

This hire g e 're a shrug. I hope Lily was the tactician that Boras is, because the TE play seemed to go down a bit this year, especially early. I wondered if that was due to moving Boras.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I am not familiar with Albright as an insider, did he break other news besides this news, that he didn't really break?

This hire g e 're a shrug. I hope Lily was the tactician that Boras is, because the TE play seemed to go down a bit this year, especially early. I wondered if that was due to moving Boras.

He was the first one who had the Foles to Rams trade. He had it a week or more before anyone else

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I'm a UGA student and I say this is a good get for the Rams. Lilly is much more than a TE coach as he's a good OC as well. He has a good reputation around here. TE is an important position in Georgia's offense and they are well rounded. They must be able to block well while being consistent pass catchers downfield. Georgia has put some great Tight Ends in the NFL over the years.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I like he has play calling Exp. also. Adding an SEC Coach is a good move 9 out of 10 times, no?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm a UGA student and I say this is a good get for the Rams. Lilly is much more than a TE coach as he's a good OC as well. He has a good reputation around here. TE is an important position in Georgia's offense and they are well rounded. They must be able to block well while being consistent pass catchers downfield. Georgia has put some great Tight Ends in the NFL over the years.

Great info @NateDawg122 I am pleased with the addition of Mike Grohl and Lilly and will reserve judgment on Skip Peete. Now the coaching staff is complete IMO because they did not renew 5 assistant coaches, but one of them was an assistant strength & conditioning coach and the Rams have promoted from within (J. Aggabao) and Boudreau's son was one of the five not renewed and IMO they created a position for him as assistant special teams coach, not sure they will hire someone with that title.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Like who?

@den-the-coach

time will tell....LOL...time will tell...

Orson Charles, Benjamin Watson, Arthur Lynch, Leonard Pope, Randy McMichael, etc. Not all of them are world beaters but UGA has produced some good ones. From 1997 through 2011, SIX different Georgia tight ends have earned 1st- or 2nd-team All-SEC recognition. They have two more guys right now that will play on Sundays in Jeb Blazevich and Isaac Nauta.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's been an offseason of serious turnover among the coaching staff for the Rams who let go of five various coaches earlier this calendar year prior to hiring former Bears WR and RB Coaches Mike Groh and Skip Peete, respectively.
I didn't know this^! It's news to me. I like it!!

Shawnbb158

Starter
Ok night not be the place to ask and might be a stupid question. But do we have a OC yet? Did I somehow miss this haha thanks

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Ok night not be the place to ask and might be a stupid question. But do we have a OC yet? Did I somehow miss this haha thanks

Boras is the Running game coordinator and the recently hired Mike Groh is the WR Coach along with being the passing game coordinator.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Boras is the Running game coordinator and the recently hired Mike Groh is the WR Coach along with being the passing game coordinator.

Actually Boras will be the offensive coordinator, Groh will design the passing schemes that Boras will call them when he feels the need to throw.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Orson Charles, Benjamin Watson, Arthur Lynch, Leonard Pope, Randy McMichael, etc. Not all of them are world beaters but UGA has produced some good ones. From 1997 through 2011, SIX different Georgia tight ends have earned 1st- or 2nd-team All-SEC recognition. They have two more guys right now that will play on Sundays in Jeb Blazevich and Isaac Nauta.
Oh.....I remember McMichael....kinda a Jared Cook kinda guy...and Watson is putting in work with Brees right now...
I saw a TE outta East Carolina I really like...and that kid from Bama...

@Shawnbb158
think Boras is the OC...but not official....