Reg Season Ram PFF Rankings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Firstly, I will list where our starters rank against other players at their positions according to PFF’s grades for the regular season. Afterward, I will offer commentary..

Donald 1
Havenstein 3
Everett 4
Whitworth 5
John Johnson III 6
Goff 8
Woods 8
Saffold 8
Robey-Coleman 9
Blythe 12
Gurley 16
Higbee 16
Talib 20
Cooks 23
Joyner 23
Suh 25
Kupp 28
Sullivan 32
Littleton 34
Longacre 51
Fowler 57
Ekubam 66
JFM 70
Brockers 73
Barron 82
Peters 96

The first thing I wish to point out is that the Rams have 9 players that grade within the top 10 at their positions in the NFL. About 17 of the 22 starters grade in the top half. That leaves only 5 sub par players on the roster and those include names like Peters, Brockers, Fowler, Barron, and Sullivan...all of whom last year were considered plus players.

Snubs... surely there aren’t 15 running backs better than Todd Gurley. Cooks and Kupp are also under valued in these rankings. Fowler may be better than 57 but his Jaguar numbers affected his grade.

Surprises? Havenstein, Everett, Robey-Coleman, and JJ III are all young, under appreciated studs.

Finally, while PFF is obviously flawed, I’d like to see what team in the NFL has this many players graded as highly as the Rams. If PFF could grade coaches...I’d say this staff would be in the top 5. These playoffs will truly tell the tale.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
That number for Gurley brings all the other numbers into question IMHO.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would you guys question Gurley being 16th?

He hasn't really looked right all year (which we know is an injury) and CJ came in and destroyed it. There are definitely several RBs that could put up similar numbers so his raw numbers aren't going to convince me. And again because of his injury, he didn't look as good as he did last year.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Why would you guys question Gurley being 16th?

He hasn't really looked right all year (which we know is an injury) and CJ came in and destroyed it. There are definitely several RBs that could put up similar numbers so his raw numbers aren't going to convince me. And again because of his injury, he didn't look as good as he did last year.

The guy has 21 TD's this year alone which is better than last year even though he has been hurt. He has more rushing yds per attempt this year and has only 1 fumble compared to 5 last year when he was in the MVP discussion. Cant tell me there are 15 better RB's around.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
PFF is garbage.

dang

Legend
I starting noticing in the Chiefs game Gurley did not have the same cutting lateral movement that I have seen him display previously. However, he had very impressive results if he was only at 80% most of this year.

Fowler must have been tainted by his performance with the Jags - as I have been impressed with him by the 3rd game he was with the Rams.

Sullivan is a warrior but this should be his last year starting for the Rams.

Finally - before getting hurt in the Broncos game - Kupp was easily the Rams best WR and I expect great things for him for many years to come.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fowler must have been tainted by his performance with the Jags - as I have been impressed with him by the 3rd game he was with the Rams.

Fowler has gotten better and better with us. It's a shame he's a FA though, who knows what kind of nonsense he's going to see on the open market. Rams might be able to lock him up, but they have to be in a reasonable range I think. He is a high risk signing IMO.

TexasRam

Legend
PFF is by no stretch a fool proof way of grading and there is proven Biases i’ve detailed over the years.

These ratings though, actually look pretty fair with a few exceptions.

Goff, Gurley and Kupp are way to low. The Goff Bias is a yearly thing. The Gurley and Kupp low ratings must be due to injury’s. Not a great way to rate a player.

I believe PFF is saying that the Rams Oline is so good and Mcvay scheme that it makes Gurley and Goff’s stats look better than they would be otherwise. This is probably true to some extent.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The guy has 21 TD's this year alone which is better than last year even though he has been hurt. He has more rushing yds per attempt this year and has only 1 fumble compared to 5 last year when he was in the MVP discussion. Cant tell me there are 15 better RB's around.
Based on how PFF scores each play, a touchdown isn't necessarily some kind of "super play" that inflates a players grade like they do in the NFL's QB rating. Running untouched into the endzone isn't considered better than breaking two tackles and gaining five yards on first down at midfield.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Based on how PFF scores each play, a touchdown is necessarily some kind of "super play" that inflates a players grade like they do in the NFL's QB rating. Running untouched into the endzone isn't considered better than breaking two tackles and gaining five yards on first down at midfield.

True that.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Donald’s grade gives credence to the PFF method. The same method also grades Brockers at 73 which my own eyes have seen as credible and so hard for me to explain as last year he was excellent. The low grades of Peters, our edge rushers, and linebackers should be obvious to we fans who have watched in horror as at times it seems Donald is the only one showing up.

These grades also bear out how the OLine has carried the offense. It’s my belief the Rams would be better with Blythe at center and Noteboom at RG. Sully is an old warrior but his physical limitations keep this offense from being all that is possible. Goff’s rating has declined in the second half but both tight ends have improved...which is why I pray for more 12 personnel sets, power runs, traps, and screens. If Kupp were healthy, we’d have three 1,000 yard receivers and the heavy 11 would’ve persisted successfully. Hopefully that has become obvious enough to McVay by now as CJ Anderson has benefited from this adjustment.

A healthy Gurley will be a welcome sight Saturday after next.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on how PFF scores each play, a touchdown isn't necessarily some kind of "super play" that inflates a players grade like they do in the NFL's QB rating. Running untouched into the endzone isn't considered better than breaking two tackles and gaining five yards on first down at midfield.

This.

I love Todd. But it was pretty clear at times this season that something wasn't right. He had a great year statistically but his PFF grade more closely reflects what I've seen from him this year.

That's not to say I would take 15 RBs over him. No way. But at the same time, we can't ignore that CJ and Todd each played the Cardinals and Niners, and CJ destroyed both while Todd struggled to find room. Part of that is how they played us, obviously - but part of it also tells that something was a little off with Todd.

Tano

Legend
This.

I love Todd. But it was pretty clear at times this season that something wasn't right. He had a great year statistically but his PFF grade more closely reflects what I've seen from him this year.

That's not to say I would take 15 RBs over him. No way. But at the same time, we can't ignore that CJ and Todd each played the Cardinals and Niners, and CJ destroyed both while Todd struggled to find room. Part of that is how they played us, obviously - but part of it also tells that something was a little off with Todd.
Gurley almost never had 12 personnel where CJ did.

I was at the Cardinal game and they were opening HUGE holes for CJ in that game.

Gurley would have destroyed the Cardinals if he had the holes that CJ did.

However, I love how CJ always got an extra 2 or 3 yards when he is first hit. CJ is definitely more of a power runner whereas Gurley is more of an open field runner with some power once he gets going.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
These grades also bear out how the OLine has carried the offense. It’s my belief the Rams would be better with Blythe at center and Noteboom at RG. Sully is an old warrior but

Ya, I was thinking of NOteboom at guard next year , too--or a platoon system with Whit by the quarter...yep, I know, not great, but I think Whit will fade even more next year. Hate to cut him.
Noteboom isn't so tough or strong (he gives up on blocks at 2.5 seconds--watch the tape), but he would probably be a great pass blocker, and our O line doesn't really bash, but is always on the move....so, I guess it could work. BLythe should be a very good center based on his work this year. I only question Noteboom's toughness, and you can't know how he will handle a 340 lber until the bullets are live.

The Folwer and Peters trades, which I liked, look to be fool's gold. A 4th for Fowler would have been good. I can't believe so many team will want him as a starter, he isn't that good, or consistent in his rush. He is fast, and does some good stuff---but, he isn't really a good+ player, even...I would rather a younger, healthier WIlliam Hayes or someone like that. Folwer is too much like Peters, soft upper boday.

Did anybody see the really hghi throw to Kittle when Peters could have blasetd him,and instead just hit him with his hands/forearms like he was pretending he was going to intercept it (2nd quarter I think). Fluffy, and soft....like a great mom holding her baby. Can Mom's play NFL football? IDTS

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
That number for Gurley brings all the other numbers into question IMHO.
Gurley isn’t facing stacked boxes like some other running backs. Which probably effects that ranking a lot.
Idk what 15 running backs would be better than him talent wise. 20+ touchdowns, Pass catching, pass blocking, and unselfish.

After the Chicago game he could of easily grabbed the first microphone he saw and said give me the damn ball. Instead he said he had a bad game. Took credit for the loss.

CJ came in and we started running heavy personnel. Gurley never got the luxury of all those blockers.
CJ maybe a power back. But he gets tuned up on pass protection sometimes. Sunday he got put in Goff’s lap. Gurley is elite in pass protection.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hard to remain interested in anything they say when Gurley is rated so low.

Ram65

Legend
Donald’s grade gives credence to the PFF method. The same method also grades Brockers at 73 which my own eyes have seen as credible and so hard for me to explain as last year he was excellent. The low grades of Peters, our edge rushers, and linebackers should be obvious to we fans who have watched in horror as at times it seems Donald is the only one showing up.

These grades also bear out how the OLine has carried the offense. It’s my belief the Rams would be better with Blythe at center and Noteboom at RG. Sully is an old warrior but his physical limitations keep this offense from being all that is possible. Goff’s rating has declined in the second half but both tight ends have improved...which is why I pray for more 12 personnel sets, power runs, traps, and screens. If Kupp were healthy, we’d have three 1,000 yard receivers and the heavy 11 would’ve persisted successfully. Hopefully that has become obvious enough to McVay by now as CJ Anderson has benefited from this adjustment.

These grades seem to be solid evaluations as you pointed out. Gurley may lose some points as the O Line has opened some holes for him. I think they rate when running backs get first contact. He has not seemed as explosive this year. Oh well, Gurley should be rested for the playoffs and show what he has.

Would have been interesting had they tried Noteboom at RG before the playoffs. I thought Allen played good at OC against the Whiners. Hard to make a big change now. Rams could also want to keep Noteboom healthy if Whitworth gets injured.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Fowler has gotten better and better with us. It's a shame he's a FA though, who knows what kind of nonsense he's going to see on the open market. Rams might be able to lock him up, but they have to be in a reasonable range I think. He is a high risk signing IMO.

With Bowles fired the Rams competition for Fowler May be greatly reduced. The Jets are $100 million under the cap and Bowles covered Fowler.

@leoram signing Suh hurt Brockers production. His best position in a 3/4 is DE. Suh got moved to DE early in the season and Brockers saw much more time at Nose. In the last few games we saw Suh back at nose a bit more and suddenly Brockers started showing up more.

If the Rams dump Suh in favor of a space eating Nose tackle then I think we see Brockers production get back to what we are used to.