Refs calling more holding

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Don't get me wrong, I want the refs to make the right calls when they're there and blatant.

I hate to say it...but I think I actually agree with Tom Brady. Why? Because the game was borderline unwatchable. Actually, it was. It was really hard to watch that game. It wasn't fun. 3 and out, punt. Commercial. 3 and out, with 3-4 penalties in the drive, punt, commercial. Holy shit. That sucks!

I agreed with Joe Buck too when they said that there's no room for any momentum to occur; which is something we, as football fans, can see happen in games. It's an exciting part of football. But a game like last night, where weather was a severe factor, and the refs making more calls, some good some bad per usual, was a recipe for disaster. And it was.

Again, I am all for making the right calls for penalties, but there needs to be some awareness of the flow of the game, or lack thereof by the refs too.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Don't get me wrong, I want the refs to make the right calls when they're there and blatant.

I hate to say it...but I think I actually agree with Tom Brady. Why? Because the game was borderline unwatchable. Actually, it was. It was really hard to watch that game. It wasn't fun. 3 and out, punt. Commercial. 3 and out, with 3-4 penalties in the drive, punt, commercial. Holy shit. That sucks!

I agreed with Joe Buck too when they said that there's no room for any momentum to occur; which is something we, as football fans, can see happen in games. It's an exciting part of football. But a game like last night, where weather was a severe factor, and the refs making more calls, some good some bad per usual, was a recipe for disaster. And it was.

Again, I am all for making the right calls for penalties, but there needs to be some awareness of the flow of the game, or lack thereof by the refs too.

If teams need to hold to create momentum, the game doesnt need that momentum. What about the momentum created by a sack fumble? If teams keep getting called for holding they will eventually start to do things differently to avoid the holding calls.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold has a newby Center and can't help him enough. Had a horrible PS too. I'll bet he misses L.A. badly. Now we are having our own issues.
We are? Line looked a hell of a lot better than most every other line I've watched this season so far.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
The Thurs night game was unwatchable for me because I didn't see it.

If the calls are going to be anything like the Rams vs Saints last sunday, I was pleasantly surprised at how many were called on the Saints. The ones called on Hav, where they showed his arm around the neck of Jordan, well, they also showed he got away with one too. So they're not calling everything. But then they go and call a ticky-tack push on Noteboom. We'll see how this works out over the course of the season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
League has refs focusing on the Lobster Block and focus on backside of plays and will break alltime number this year for holding calls. Rich Eisen had on head of NFL refs today and covered it all. It's not gonna stop being called all of a sudden. I think they have the hits on the QB wrong also as we are gonna sack Mayfield and hope we avoid the big 15. Too many tiny qb's in todays NFL. Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray and Baker try to slide to avoid hits. I think Baker gets hit early Sunday night. Clay Mattews was robbed twice last season. Hope Aaron Donald taught him how to sling them down to avoid 15.

Matthews had perfect technique when he hit teddy to the ground last week. Stayed to the side and his arm drove teddy into the ground. Perfect.

Ram65

Legend
You can't have it both ways. I don't have an answer except being consistent and call the more egregious ones.

Are the numbers 179 holding calls to 109 last year the ones called or just the ones excepted?

Three holding calls a game isn't bad. When you add in all the other penalties like defensive illegal contact after five yards it can mount up.
it would a good idea to see the overall call average per game.

lol there is an extensive website dedicated to NFL penalties. Here is a link to the holding calls. I think they have a typo here. I think it should be per game.

Overall Totals By Team
There was an average of 4.56 Offensive Holding penalties per team game league-wide.

A fun site to play around with. Looks like the total is for ones called not taken. Added 10 for Thursday Night's game. You can do teams with players etc...Rams not too bad with the penalties.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
League has refs focusing on the Lobster Block and focus on backside of plays and will break alltime number this year for holding calls. Rich Eisen had on head of NFL refs today and covered it all. It's not gonna stop being called all of a sudden. I think they have the hits on the QB wrong also as we are gonna sack Mayfield and hope we avoid the big 15. Too many tiny qb's in todays NFL. Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray and Baker try to slide to avoid hits. I think Baker gets hit early Sunday night. Clay Mattews was robbed twice last season. Hope Aaron Donald taught him how to sling them down to avoid 15.

I read an article that explained the coaches voted on it and they all think holding was out of control.

So screw Brady and his crybaby routine.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think the idea is that the Olinemen learn to change their bad habits.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I read an article that explained the coaches voted on it and they all think holding was out of control.

It's a technique called a lobster block almost all OL use and the league wants it stopped at all costs. Like head tackling. We will break NFL alltime history of holding calls this season by a ton. I just want Goff injury free for our Miami rematch WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's a technique called a lobster block almost all OL use and the league wants it stopped at all costs. Like head tackling. We will break NFL alltime history of holding calls this season by a ton. I just want Goff injury free for our Miami rematch WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

It should be called lobster hold. I believe it caused Quinn’s neck problems.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Obviously he has an agenda and it has nothing to do with whether or not a game is watchable. If his guys can't hold he is in danger. So fuck him

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
make line men wear boxing glove so they can't grab and then do away with oline holding calls completely

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We need LESS penalties, not more penalties. The Fans don't like having a flag on every play, it breaks the flow of the game, and it ruins some really good plays.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'm fine with refs calling more holding flags, it keeps a level of consistency and encourages linemen to use better technique

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Call the ones that impact, or potentially impact the play. As long as the refs are consistent, teams will adjust. For now, we must suffer.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
We need LESS penalties, not more penalties. The Fans don't like having a flag on every play, it breaks the flow of the game, and it ruins some really good plays.
Then have the o-linemen get good. Don't excuse their trash and get mad at the refs. That's like getting mad at the bank when you go on a shopping spree.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Then have the o-linemen get good. Don't excuse their trash and get mad at the refs. That's like getting mad at the bank when you go on a shopping spree.

I guess you are right, I should be super happy when every other play is called back due to a penalty. Sure makes the game more interesting and watchable.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I guess you are right, I should be super happy when every other play is called back due to a penalty. Sure makes the game more interesting and watchable.
I didn't say that. I suggested that you should be mad at the players not the refs. In theory, the refs can only call penalties that happen. If you want less penalties called, the answer is for players to commit less penalties. The idea that we should let players get away with whatever they want because we don't want to see penalties disrupt the flow of the game is a path toward chaos.