Refs calling more holding

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tom Brady tweets a complaint about the ridiculous holding calls and Joe Buck is all over his balls picking up the campaign against increased holding calls. What BS.

Brady is clearly trying to use his influence as a star to stop all of the holding calls. He’s a QB who just lost his OLT. Of course he hates that refs are calling holding more often. Even Perrerra was criticizing them last night. Aikman Was questioning if the players have gotten worse about holding and that is why all of the calls. What a moron. The Olinemen in the league have been getting away with holding calls for years. They’ve gotten lazy about it. Last year the refs were told to call more holding. The league saw a need to curb all of the holding. I’m very thankful they did. I bet AD is too. In the first two weeks there have been 179 holding calls to 109 last year.

Olinemen will adjust and stop holding. It’s a learning curve. Shut up Joe Buck.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ll add that 70 more calls in two weeks with 32 teams is barely an average of over one extra per game.

Imo they should call more.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
In the case of last nights game I have to agree with Brady. The officials made the game unwatchable. I turned it off after the bullshit roughing call.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I don't blame the refs for this last night... I blame the poorly prepared/manned teams. Especially Tennessee. They were forced to hold so that their fragile QB didn't get absolutely killed.... and they still gave up 9 sacks. That's just terrible football from coaching down to the players.

It wasn't the fault of the refs. Their job is to call the game by the rules.

Fuck brady. I will say this though... I have a hard time watching terrible football too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I don’t know if I saw Saffold win more than I saw him lose last night. Yes he’s missing his LT next to him. But for that money you expect better.

As for holding Tom Chester said it perfectly last night. It’s unwatchable.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, they don't call it NEARLY enough ~ Aaron Freakin Donald

blue font used, not because it's untrue...but because I didn't actually hear him say it....Just through a Vulcan Mindmeld...
BNpewnQ.jpg

EastRam

Pro Bowler
The O has been getting away with holding for over 10 years. About time they are calling it.

Time to let the D eat. Enough of the O bullshit

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, they don't call it NEARLY enough ~ Aaron Freakin Donald

blue font used, not because it's untrue...but because I didn't actually hear him say it....Just through a Vulcan Mindmeld...
BNpewnQ.jpg
Uhura was so damn fine... Look at them legs.

giphy.gif

bV8VNxgxp9h59wZ79

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah I remember a lot of people bitching last year about Donald getting held all the time. I stressed that it actually better for the Rams if they didn't call holding (because of our down field passing game).

Sorry more holding calls makes for horrible football.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I remember a lot of people bitching last year about Donald getting held all the time. I stressed that it actually better for the Rams if they didn't call holding (because of our down field passing game).

Sorry more holding calls makes for horrible football.
Just make it fair...If you're not going to call it on olines across the league, don't call it on our guys. If you do call it square because the other side can't handle AD (they can't), they will have to change how they do things. Call it on every hold against AD, every team we play will have to adjust their offense because of what he does, and the lack of time they have in letting plays develop.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend
Just make it fair...If you're not going to call it on olines across the league, don't call it on our guys. If you do call it square because the other side can't handle AD (they can't), they will have to change how they do things. Call it on every hold against AD, every team we play will have to adjust their offense because of what he does, and the lack of time they have in letting plays develop.

If its fair its going to be on us a lot also.. because nearly every snap someone is holding. Players a lot worse than AD are getting held as well.

I'm not saying never call holding, but calling more holding isn't a good fix. In the end people are going to hold rather than get their qb smoked. It won't change that much and just lead to bad games to watch.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If its fair its going to be on us a lot also.. because nearly every snap someone is holding. Players a lot worse than AD are getting held as well.

I'm not saying never call holding, but calling more holding isn't a good fix. In the end people are going to hold rather than get their qb smoked. It won't change that much and just lead to bad games to watch.

Disagree. There is a difference between a blatant hold and a an average hold. AD and Quinn would have arms wrapped around their necks. That level of holding is going too far.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm glad they're calling more holding but I sure wish they'd keep it in their pants on other plays like the tricky tack shit you see on punt returns.

Ellard80

Legend
Disagree. There is a difference between a blatant hold and a an average hold. AD and Quinn would have arms wrapped around their necks. That level of holding is going too far.

Not sure how that really works.. only call holds when they "go too far."

Call the holds if the NFL wants to see the best players shine. The players/teams will adjust or lose. Just call it consistent. That's the only job of the refs - consistency.

But like everything, they'll call it for the first 4 games and then the holds will disappear. Just like over-tackling penalties last year.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm not sure why this is surprising people, they specifically said in the offseason that an emphasis would be put on calling holding more often. And it should be because blatant holds happen every play in the past few seasons. Teams got to adjust.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I’ll add that 70 more calls in two weeks with 32 teams is barely an average of over one extra per game.

Imo they should call more.

League has refs focusing on the Lobster Block and focus on backside of plays and will break alltime number this year for holding calls. Rich Eisen had on head of NFL refs today and covered it all. It's not gonna stop being called all of a sudden. I think they have the hits on the QB wrong also as we are gonna sack Mayfield and hope we avoid the big 15. Too many tiny qb's in todays NFL. Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray and Baker try to slide to avoid hits. I think Baker gets hit early Sunday night. Clay Mattews was robbed twice last season. Hope Aaron Donald taught him how to sling them down to avoid 15.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
As long as they start calling the blatant holds on AD I'm all for it.

Saints drew 5 holding calls against AD & this hard charging Rams D. This is without blitzing at all yet. Donte loves his inside loop move that got him 2 sacks on the non moving Cam Newton. Catching Mayfield may be more of a rodeo.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I don’t know if I saw Saffold win more than I saw him lose last night. Yes he’s missing his LT next to him. But for that money you expect better.

As for holding Tom Chester said it perfectly last night. It’s unwatchable.

Saffold has a newby Center and can't help him enough. Had a horrible PS too. I'll bet he misses L.A. badly. Now we are having our own issues.