Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I’ve got my eyes on four WRs that could be difference makers outside of the 1st round. Corley and Legette and two that no one is much talking about, Johnny Wilson and Malik Washington. Of course FA can change everything if we sign an Edge, Dotson, and a CB by then.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Someone should probably tell NFL teams, guys going top 17. Sounds like one thing people like is how much his route running improved over the course of this year and what that shows for his continued progress.
He didn’t look fluid to me at all.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I can see a scenario where one of the WR speedsters falls to us at #19, but no Edges do (Latu, etc.). With Dotson locked in now, being able to stretch the field would be a big plus, assuming Tutu is gone. Lots of folks still not believing in Tutu but I've seen some nice catches by him, no reason to dog him + he's had 2 seasons now of NFL S+T.
But another WR in the room to slide in next to Nacua & Robinson, and a part-time oft-injured Kupp, would be a huge plus.
Obviously if a top rated CB falls to us at #19 I think we should go that route, but to the OP, I can def see a scenario where we go WR at #19, especially if they are FAST and they can CATCH.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
  1. The depth at WR in this year's draft is astronomical. At 19 a game changing WR1 will be available.
  2. High probability Kupp never returns to old form. Puka was clear #1 last year even with Kupp back. If Puka goes down we're toast.
  3. Maintaining a high level offense should be priority over defense. Both super bowl years our offense was among the best in the league.
  4. Gives McVay a new toy and keeps him engaged, excited, and a potential top offense of the league.
  5. Plenty of Edge & CBs available in rounds 2-3 or FA
I agree with all this except "if somebody goes down, we're toast." I think you start worrying about that after you fill out all the starters you need on the rest of the team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can see a scenario where one of the WR speedsters falls to us at #19, but no Edges do (Latu, etc.). With Dotson locked in now, being able to stretch the field would be a big plus, assuming Tutu is gone. Lots of folks still not believing in Tutu but I've seen some nice catches by him, no reason to dog him + he's had 2 seasons now of NFL S+T.
But another WR in the room to slide in next to Nacua & Robinson, and a part-time oft-injured Kupp, would be a huge plus.
Obviously if a top rated CB falls to us at #19 I think we should go that route, but to the OP, I can def see a scenario where we go WR at #19, especially if they are FAST and they can CATCH.
I think Tutu’s size is a big hindrance. McVay has to scheme to get him free releases. In a timing based offense, having a guy that small is an odd fit. He’s too easy to bump off of his within the first five yards. He’s got great hands. I hoped he’d get more separation than he does with his speed.

I wonder if at this point, does a field stretcher really fit what McVay wants. He likes his receivers to block, and to be versatile route runners. Look at how underutilized Tutu was he didn’t do anything in his first year. In his second year it took injuries to get him on the field. Skowronek was getting played more than he was. This year he lost his spot to Demarcus.

I don’t know how a top ten receiver won’t be there at #19. The more I learn about this class the more I think that Snead will try to trade back. The best players will be gone by 19, maybe by 16.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Xavier Worthy or Adonai Mitchell would be my choice if we were drafting a receiver in the first round.

Worthy is no John Ross who had speed and nothing else; he's a brilliant route-runner who has pretty damn good hands. Reminds me of Desean Jackson (the one who played amazing football for the Eagles) without the diva issues.

Mitchell has some of the best hands in this class, vise grips, and he's a fairly big target, solid speed, good route runner. I've seen George Pickens comparisons (not in his character, but in overall strengths), and I think it fits.)

Think that Nabers and Odunze easily go before us, and I wouldn't trade up for them. I'm not a Brian Thomas fan.
I still can't get past the 165 lbs. That is Tutu weight at 2" taller, which makes him even skinnier. I'd say his size is the entire reason he hasn't worked out for us. As a rookie he got tossed around like a rag doll and was out the rest of the season. The coaches saw that and have only used him sparsely since then. I'm not on board with repeating that process when its still so fresh and we have a little skinny guy still on our team already

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve got my eyes on four WRs that could be difference makers outside of the 1st round. Corley and Legette and two that no one is much talking about, Johnny Wilson and Malik Washington. Of course FA can change everything if we sign an Edge, Dotson, and a CB by then.
I personally LOVE Legette. Arguably my fav WR in this draft, but 19 is probably too high for him given how deep this class is. Trade back to 26-30 range and take him maybe? I think he goes late 1st.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't help but think McConkey is a perfect McVay WR. Would not be surprised at all if we traded back and nabbed him in the 1st or top of 2nd. He's pretty damn legit all around WR that can be used at any WR position with deep speed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Xavier Worthy or Adonai Mitchell would be my choice if we were drafting a receiver in the first round.

Worthy is no John Ross who had speed and nothing else; he's a brilliant route-runner who has pretty damn good hands. Reminds me of Desean Jackson (the one who played amazing football for the Eagles) without the diva issues.

Mitchell has some of the best hands in this class, vise grips, and he's a fairly big target, solid speed, good route runner. I've seen George Pickens comparisons (not in his character, but in overall strengths), and I think it fits.)

Think that Nabers and Odunze easily go before us, and I wouldn't trade up for them. I'm not a Brian Thomas fan.
Worthy is so skinny. I’d prefer AD Mitchell of the two.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't help but think McConkey is a perfect McVay WR. Would not be surprised at all if we traded back and nabbed him in the 1st or top of 2nd. He's pretty damn legit all around WR that can be used at any WR position with deep speed.
I agree. The separation he gets is great. He can do it all.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I agree. The separation he gets is great. He can do it all.

How do you guys rate him compared to Pearsall?

View: https://x.com/mathbomb/status/1764041729768890692?s=46&t=gEUcKN5ugzpn7hhJJvpNKw

Vs

View: https://x.com/mathbomb/status/1764107939369886159?s=46&t=gEUcKN5ugzpn7hhJJvpNKw

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but history shows that McVay chooses to wait until the later rounds to draft a WR. (Kupp, Nacua)
And he chooses to draft an OG later than the 2nd round. And he doesn't pay OG's at all. And then there's Tutu Atwell in the 2nd round. And our whole history argument goes up in smoke? McVay also has never had a 1st round pick so nobody has any clue what he'll do in the 1st round this year if we even keep the pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Big fan of Pearsall too, just not in the 1st. Would LOVE him in the 3rd, but seriously doubt he makes it to the mid 3rd
Big question if he makes it to the 2nd and if he does is it longer than 5 picks in the 2nd.