Rd 1, pick 19, Rams Select EDGE/DL Jared Verse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I see no reason not to have high expectations of him.. he's an older prospect who seems to have a good work ethic.

The upside may not be there for a Danielle Hunter-type guy.. but I've seen Zadarius Smith comps.. I don't hate that at all.
I mean, if he becomes Smith it's a home run for a pick at 19.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m warming to the pick of Verse. I still think he’s more DE than edge and hope he can learn some pass rushing moves.

I listened to the Yahoo broadcast and they paint a pretty good picture of Verse. (except for the guy who tried to make it sound like he came from Hicksville. There is no corn field across from Central Columbia high school.).

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/iXKUoqMWPZ8?si=ODS1c7cT8urNLj92

2:24:00 is the Rams pick.

Charles Robinson says he believes that the Rams wanted Byron Murphy, then Dallas Turner, then Jared Verse.

I prefer Verse over Turner.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Issue is the same Verse is a 4-3 end that will have to learn new things as OLBer in 3-4/5-1.
He has ability to do it, but will take reps to do the job. But he will be major upgrade to Hoecht.

In meantime he will still be a starter, I think. Hoecht will back up both edges.

In an interesting twist, Kobie and Donald were the inside guys in the nickel defense.
Turner was the 1 or 2i ---Donald the 3-tech.

We are assuming -- rightly -- that in base defense Kobie takes Donald's position.

We also assume he will play 3-tech in nickel. Maybe, maybe not.

the shade/nose tackle then 2i or whatever and this kind could be the 3-tech sometimes
the 4 DL could be Young and Hoecht as edge and Verse and Turner as the DTs

not all the time but as a change-up. Also, most of the time he'd be edge and maybe Hoecht inside. he has enough power
and could run stunts ...

In the 3x1 overloaded front --- could see Young isolated on the "1" side with the other 3 on the 3-man side...

Had Rams taken Chop there would have been a lot of people upset ... with Verse there shouldn't be any of that.

here is shot of him doing it in college in a 5-1
View attachment 65403

Didn’t the Rams do something similar with Young last year? I remember him inside with his hand in the dirt in a particular alignment.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I haven't read through the entire 12 pages of this thread, but how has Verse performed against top LT talent? And would this mean Agent Zero would move from covering the LT to the RT?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Didn’t the Rams do something similar with Young last year? I remember him inside with his hand in the dirt in a particular alignment.
Yes, in the 3x1 --- once in a while Young would be the DT ... DOnald on the "1" side isolated and Young, Hoecht, and Turner on the other side -- more often it was Hoecht inside, but you are right... Young did play a bit of DT -- out of this front they do a lot of loops and stunts

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1730699674686837097

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
@JimY53

View: https://x.com/pschrags/status/1783841866779103616?s=46&t=7TXL1Le76GrA3JT24H6N0A

Shrager claims the offensive player that the Rams wanted to trade up with was Bowers.

Yes, I saw that, and he does know McVay --- just glad it does not happen. Others like Bowers a lot. I would have been fine if he fell to Rams but they couldn't make a deal. Very possibly that McSnead did;'t want to give up next year's #1 for him.

To get him, probably would have taken this year's #2 and a #1 in 2025 and all along that was too much ... I could have been a little less or a little more depending on who the were talking two.

Team probably wanted a lot to get their 7th, 8th, 9th, etc pick. I was surprised he didn't go to Jets. That's where I thought he'd go.
If Rams got him I'd be fine with it but in long run, IMO, Rams better off with this year's #2 and next years #1 plus Verse rather than just Bowers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes, I saw that, and he does know McVay --- just glad it does not happen. Others like Bowers a lot. I would have been fine if he fell to Rams but they couldn't make a deal. Very possibly that McSnead did;'t want to give up next year's #1 for him.

To get him, probably would have taken this year's #2 and a #1 in 2025 and all along that was too much ... I could have been a little less or a little more depending on who the were talking two.

Team probably wanted a lot to get their 7th, 8th, 9th, etc pick. I was surprised he didn't go to Jets. That's where I thought he'd go.
If Rams got him I'd be fine with it but in long run, IMO, Rams better off with this year's #2 and next years #1 plus Verse rather than just Bowers.
Agreed. However it does prove that McVay would have gladly figured him into the offense.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams front office was pleasantly surprised he was still available at the 19th pick

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Agreed. However it does prove that McVay would have gladly figured him into the offense.
I don't think that was in doubt ... I think his role would be a move TE and insurance for Kupp being gone. He's not an inline TE, he's a H-back, that is where he'll probably play. Sure, he can do other things but the meat an potatoes of his game is a "move" TE, slot, wing, motion and all that.

McVay for sure could use him ... but my only deal was "At what cost?" There have been super athletic TEs before, and they do well, but ,,, worth not only the pick you use but 2 others? Didn't see that as worth it.

McVay could have had him -- they just needed to pony up the asking price ... Falcons could have gotten their guy at 19 for example

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Anyway, on a lighter note, we need a badass nickname for our newest first round pick. We have The Conductor (Turner) and Agent Zero (Young), so I bet we can come up with an awesome nickname for Verse.

All suggestions welcome!
I think a situational pun might come into play from time to time.
For example, let’s say he’s wrecking it out there and sacks the QB for the second time:
“second Verse, same as the first!”

Or maybe after he blows up a play in the backfield:
“He read that one chapter and Verse!”

Or a solo tackle could be referred to as a UNI- Verse.

Ok, I’ll stop.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Verse could be the isolated guy (photos on right)
or in the loaded side ...

2024-04-26_13-55-17d.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Actually, Mems speaks what many if not all feel about that douche. You can both recognize his football accumen AND recognize that he's a cheating sleazeball. You'll find that sentiment quite prevalent here. So maybe telling someone to relax for pointing that out might not be the most welcomed response.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a situational pun might come into play from time to time.
For example, let’s say he’s wrecking it out there and sacks the QB for the second time:
“second Verse, same as the first!”

Or maybe after he blows up a play in the backfield:
“He read that one chapter and Verse!”

Or a solo tackle could be referred to as a UNI- Verse.

Ok, I’ll stop.
Mister Uni-Verse

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Actually, Mems speaks what many of not all feel about that douche. You can both recognize his football accumen AND recognize that he's a cheating sleazeball. You'll find that sentiment quite prevalent here. So maybe telling someone to relax for pointing that out might not be the most welcomed response.
The problem is this: hate him or not his football knowledge is valuable. And if people are going to get triggered at the mention of his name they probably need to RELAX.

Separate issue: Not getting over something for 20 years? Really?