Rams will be “home” team for 2018 game in China

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
So Kroenke brings the Rams back to LA then promptly short changes them.Not a good way to generate fan support right out the gate.I don't know if this really was part of the relocation agreement. But it does make me wonder if it was Kroenke or the NFL that pushed it.If Kroenke has visions of worldwide exposure for our Rams that's fine.But if i were him i would consider getting a HC that is more in touch with today's NFL though.But I still think that taking home games from a new and reinvested fan base is not good PR.

Ramatik

Starter
The plan is to spend a weeks vacation on five Monday's. Fly down Saturday, go to the game Sunday and fly back on Monday.

Whoa. That is very manly. Heh. I really do wish I could swing that.

But I will be happy this year catching a game or two live.

I do love my tv. The game is so much better.

But being there live is just a great experience.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The Rams have a few seasons to play in Los Angeles before their new Inglewood stadium is set to open, but they won’t be playing all of their home games in L.A. before that building is ready.

They will be playing a game in London during the 2016 season and they are scheduled to play one in 2017 as well as part of an agreement to play three international games over the next three years. The third game will reportedly be in a different location, however.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Rams will be the “home” team for a game in China during the 2018 season. No other details about the game are known at the moment, although there’s certainly no shortage of time to get all the ducks in a row over the next couple of years.

513772900-e1458742140285.jpg

Reports earlier this week indicated that the league was working to put a game in the country during that season and an expansion of the international slate to Germany may also be in the cards.

Why do we always seem to be the home team in these international games?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe the home teams in these games have never made the playoffs. It's a competitive disadvantage that will be tough to overcome.

This does not help the team win games. Being the road team in these games would be a completely different story.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The NFL pays the owners for the lost revenue - but I believe it's an average. So when the Rams were in St Louis, they probably got more money than it cost them in game revenue.

In LA, it's pretty likely this was imposed on the Rams, with an agreement as part of the cost of the move.

But yes, it sucks in terms of costing them one game HFA.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's not a huge deal because the Rams are in a temporary venue, it helps out the Coliseum to have fewer games there, because it's going to get pretty beat up. When the Rams go to Inglewood, they wont be doing it. It's just another easy excuse to paint Kroenke as a bad man. Fact is he's trying to grow the brand, and that's okay with me. He wasn't able to before, he can now. I wouldn't mind seeing more Rams hats in my travels.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has to do with how often you go overseas. There are guidelines on how often a team can be sent overseas and by doing these iirc we rule ourselves out of them for several years after. Clearly the Rams leadership felt it was better to get these out of the way prior to the stadium open. Plus something nobody else seems to realize is this helps our temporary landlord. One less Sunday game to help keep the field in shape is a courtesy to them.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I already said this in my previous post...

Playing in an international game for the next 3 years was part of the relocation agreement.

Embrace it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's another otherwise untelevised Rams game that we get to see.
Bonus.

Getting kind of tired of us being the "home" team on these though. There's no such thing, and we lose one at our real home.

RamBill

Legend
The LA Rams Will Play 2018 Home Game In China
By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/3/23/11292128/los-angeles-rams-2018-season-china

As part of their three-year agreement to participate in the NFL International Series, the Rams will play in the first NFL regular season game in China in 2018.

The Los Angeles Rams will play the first ever NFL regular season game in China in 2018:

Sam Farmer ‎@LATimesfarmer
There will be a 2018 game in China with the Los Angeles Rams as the home team.

The game will be the third the Rams will play overseas as part of their three-year participation in the NFL International Series starting in 2016 with a game in London. That upcoming game in London will be the first ever NFL game ever played at Twickenham Stadium, the primary home of England's National Rugby Team.

The list of potential opponents in 2018 isn't short:

Matt Barrows ‎@mattbarrows
Teams potentially facing Rams in China in 2018: Green Bay, Minnesota, Kansas City, San Diego, Seattle, Arizona, #49ers & TBD NFC East team.

Of course, this news needs to come with an asterisk as the Rams previously agreed to a three-year spot in the international series from 2012-2014 though they would ultimately only play the 2012 game overseas, a 7-45 blowout at the hands of the New England Patriots in Week 8.

The decision to sacrifice three home games over the next three seasons only further reinforces that the Rams don't prioritize winning to the extent that other NFL teams do. Wins and losses do not impact the franchise's direction as much as its peers. It's why Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher is reportedly in talks to get a contract extension despite not posting a winning record in four years. It's why the Rams are comfortable saying that Case Keenum will be the starting QB in Week 1 of the 2016 season whether it's true or not. That doesn't mean the Rams can't get to a winning record in 2016. It just means the pressure to do so is lower than it would be for any other franchise in this situation.

Then again, no other franchise is in this situation...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Sorry guys, I need to rant here for a second. Bare with me.

The entire move to LA has been ALL about money. Stan Kroenke is only interested in making more money. Winning DOES NOT MATTER TO HIM. I've been against him day fucking one to be the owner.

First, he rips the Rams from STL to become a top revenue team in LA. It still boils my fucking blood how he went about the whole thing. I have been to that great city many times and have friends who's hearts were completely broken because of him. It was bullshit and everyone knows it.

Second, the minute he gets to LA he starts shining the biggest brightest light on the team. Hardknocks wasn't going to happen in STL. What? Now he cares? Right, because it will make him more money.

Third, he's had the Rams play in London already. Now he wants them to play in China, London again this year and probably whatever other place next season. You know who doesn't play in other countries? The Broncos, Packers, Steelers, Patriots(yeah they play us in London once, they were basically the home team anyway) and Seahawks. You know what they all have in common? THEY FUCKING WIN GAMES. Does nobody care about that anymore? Have Rams fans gotten so used to losing that a little publicity is all it takes to make us happy?

Listen, I get it. We're going to have a brand new shiny stadium in a few years, we just moved to Hollywood and we have a couple superstars on our team. But I'm really, really sick of Stan attempting to put us on the spotlight by lining his pockets. You know what would make the team money? How about winning 9 fucking games for once.

You are now being switched to your regularly scheduled program.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
More brand pushing. Rams becoming international.

With any bit of success over the next few years, Rams could become a media face of the NFL. Already going to get a lot of attention in LA, but could push them into the stratosphere.

What about that timezone difference? Gotta be a killer.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The entire move to LA has been ALL about money. Stan Kroenke is only interested in making more money. Winning DOES NOT MATTER TO HIM. I've been against him day freaking one to be the owner.

First, he rips the Rams from STL to become a top revenue team in LA. It still boils my freaking blood how he went about the whole thing. I have been to that great city many times and have friends who's hearts were completely broken because of him. It was bullcrap and everyone knows it.

Everything is about money. Why did the Rams move to St Louis? Money. Why did he want to move them back to LA? Money. Why did St Louis say no to the Rams proposal? Money. Why did the Task Force design the stadium financing the way they did? Money. Why did they design the terms the way they did? Money. It's always been about money, and every side was trying to get as much as they could.. Someone had to win, and it was Stan.

Second, the minute he gets to LA he starts shining the biggest brightest light on the team. Hardknocks wasn't going to happen in STL. What? Now he cares? Right, because it will make him more money.

That was probably the NFL more than anything. They likely told them "Yeah, you guys are going to be on Hard Knocks." and rather than say they were forced into it, they said they agreed to do so. It's better in terms exposure, but I don't think they were jumping at the chance to be on the show.

Third, he's had the Rams play in London already. Now he wants them to play in China, London again this year and probably whatever other place next season. You know who doesn't play in other countries? The Broncos, Packers, Steelers, Patriots(yeah they play us in London once, they were basically the home team anyway) and Seahawks. You know what they all have in common? THEY freaking WIN GAMES. Does nobody care about that anymore? Have Rams fans gotten so used to losing that a little publicity is all it takes to make us happy?

He tried to grow the brand internationally, and the CVC said no, so they pulled back. It was part of the relocation agreement that they had to play 3 international games (as the NFL wants to grow their brand) so it's not really any shock.. China isn't an accident either, given that the west coast has more Asians (vs Europeans on the East) they were planning that for whoever moved to LA, it's a logical connection. I would be shocked if we see the Rams play a home game overseas after 2019, and there's a decent chance they don't really get away games there either. They're paying their dues now.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Not real cool on this. Just Like Obamas photo-op in front of the Che Guavara Mural the other day in Cuba. Some people's fascination with butchers and thugs is not "hip and edgy." It is foolish, and worthy of blowback, scorn and ridicule. :sneaky: And so I oblige.

So will all the nine year old girls get the day off from their 12 hour shifts in the clothing factories when the Rams come out? Not impressed, you rat bastard Chi-Coms.:mad: