Rams waive Terrell Lewis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yes, they need to add some young impact players...but you can't blame this season on draft issues.

Just to be clear Philly because I enjoy your postings; and AGREE with you.

I have never blamed THIS season on 'draft issues'. I have aggressively argued that it was primarily the OL injuries.

My postings about the Rams' sub-par drafting is a completely different point all together; and goes to the future success of the Team as the top-tier talent ages.

Two Different Topics.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also, the Bengals are a bad example because their top-tier talent is made-up mostly of their own draft choices … Burrow, Chase, Wilson, Bates, Hubbard, Boyd, Pratt, Higgins and Williams.

They fill-out their roster with free agents.

That's the opposite of the Rams' Model discussed above.
I dunno, the Rams model isn't that unique.

The Eagles have the best record in the league this yr and have gotten next to nothing from this yrs draft. Yet they added AJ Brown, Hassan Reddick, and James Bradbury to really put them over the top.

So what the Rams did is being done elsewhere as well.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Just to be clear Philly because I enjoy your postings; and AGREE with you.

I have never blamed THIS season on 'draft issues'. I have aggressively argued that it was primarily the OL injuries.

My postings about the Rams' sub-par drafting is a completely different point all together; and goes to the future success of the Team as the top-tier talent ages.

Two Different Topics.
Agree, 2 diff topics. And yes they could draft better. A lot of teams could draft better, but again I am just saying you can't make this season a referendum on their approach.

If anything, their approach has covered up for some recent mediocre to poor drafts.

Hopefully they hit some home runs this year as opposed to a lot of singles that they hit the last few yrs with good late round picks, but missing on the 2nd & 3rds.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Still, the main issue this yr was an unprecedented amount of injuries to the OL.

But ... But ... But ... THIS thread is NOT about 'this year or the OL injuries'.

It's about the Rams waiving Terrell Lewis; and Lewis is an example of the Rams' poor drafting in rounds 2-5. I have 8-10 posts on this "draft" topic. Even you had one about Lewis' lack a 'quick twitch'.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Agree, 2 diff topics. And yes they could draft better. A lot of teams could draft better, but again I am just saying you can't make this season a referendum on their approach.

And I didn't do that ... not in any way or at any time.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Below are the Rams' draft choices between the 2nd and 5th Rounds from 2017-2020 under McVay and Snead.

Rd 2 ... Gerald Everett
Rd 3 ... Cooper Kupp
Rd 3 ... John Johnson
Rd 4 ... Josh Reynolds
Rd 4 ... Samson Ebukam

Rd 3 ... Joseph Noteboom
Rd 4 ... Brian Allen
Rd 4 ... John Franklin-Myers
Rd 5 ... Micah Kiser
Rd 5 ... Obo Okoronkwo

Rd 2 ... Taylor Rapp
Rd 3 ... Darrell Henderson
Rd 3 ... David Long
Rd 3 ... Bobby Evans
Rd 4 ... Greg Gaines
Rd 5 ... David Edwards

Rd 2 ... Cam Akers
Rd 2 ... Van Jefferson
Rd 3 ... Terrell Lewis
Rd 3 ... Terrell Burgess
Rd 4 ... Bryce Hopkins
2017 had EXCEPTIONAL value.. truly special. 4 guys who are starting and one rotation guy. One Hall of Fame candidate. One plus safety. One quality edge. A rare, rare type of draft.

2018 Three starters and one rotational player. As far as evaluations go, another high-quality draft.

2019 Three starters.. another solid draft

2020 one starter, one high rotation/part time starter and a backup TE. Not great, but not a disaster.

11 NFL starters in 4 drafts in those rounds.
There have been various reasons for a lack of success this season.. but injuries are the primary driver. This team is built around difference makers.. but when some of those difference makers are hurt.. and when you've got an Oline situation that scrambles everything, you're gonna have a bad season.

The 2021 class is still very much being evaluated. Is Tutu bad? I'm not asking if there were better players to be had, because there almost always are.. I'm asking if he was a bad pick? Hard to tell.
Ernest Jones? Solid, solid starter.
Rochell and Brown need to step up for this class to be successful, imo.

2022.. Bruss being hurt makes it impossible to evaluate this class in any way yet, imo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There have been various reasons for a lack of success this season ... but injuries are the primary driver. This team is built around difference makers.. but when some of those difference makers are hurt.. and when you've got an O-line situation that scrambles everything, you're gonna have a bad season.

UGH!

My point about the Rams' Drafts has Nothing to do with the failures of this season. NOTHING.

No one has posted more often and more emphatically about the impact of the OL injuries on this season.
Example: I posted the following less than 24 hours ago:
I believe the Rams played eight different Guards before the Season was ten games old. That's almost impossible. Also had their starting Left Tackle and top back-up-tackle go down to season-ending injuries.

I just don't think a team can prepare for that many injuries to a critical unit."

Do you read my posts? Because I read yours. As I have stated several times now. These are 2 different topics.

As to your draft analysis, I disagree from the stand-point that a big part of drafting well is retaining some of the better players beyond their rookie contracts. And ... AGAIN ... this point has Nothing To Do with the hugely disappointing 2022 Season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
UGH!

My point about the Rams' Drafts has Nothing to do with the failures of this season. NOTHING.

No one has posted more often and more emphatically about the impact of the OL injuries on this season.
I believe the Rams played eight different Guards before the Season was ten games old. That's almost impossible. Also had their starting Left Tackle and top back-up-tackle go down to season-ending injuries.

I just don't think a team can prepare for that many injuries to a critical unit."

Do you read my posts? Because I read yours. As I have stated several times now. These are 2 different topics.

As to your draft analysis, I disagree from the stand-point that a big part of drafting well is retaining some of the better players beyond their rookie contracts. And ... AGAIN ... this point has Nothing To Do with the hugely disappointing 2022 Season.
Unfortunately, I don't think you can separate the topics. I say this respectfully.
When you have that many injuries, not just on the Oline, it disrupts everything and puts more limited players in positions where they cannot be successful.
When you have a healthy defense and difference makers at multiple positions.. you can survive with Troy Reeder as one of your ILBs, for example.
David Edwards is acceptable as a guard when the rest of your unit is sound, for example.
Van Jefferson as a third receiver can be very, very effective... but as a #2? Not so much.

And, I don't think you can combine roster construction and cap decisions with drafting. Scouting and drafting are their own thing.

Massive injuries distort everything.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
UGH!

Really nice post! Glad you expressed yourself.

I can not disagree,cool to see a positive post with everything going so bad in 2022.

Depending the topic thought of T. Lewis though,I would say The Rams passed on Tyler Baddazz.
The fact The Rams passed on Humpries as an example really didn’t help matters coming into The 2022 season.

Can you honestly say who The Rams starting guard was going to be ? If you think Joe Noteboom or Brian Allen didn’t a concern with there signing ,then not remembering the only time Sean Mcvay didn’t make The Playoffs in 2019 is not a lesson learned.

IMO A’Jackson was The Best RG on The Rams & when he had to be moved from RG to LT really made things tough,even when Kolone was playing center The Rams offensive line was not bad.

—Cam Akers not being the RB The Rams need & IS HORRIBLE pass blocking HURT things.

If anyone want to look back at 2021 Sony Micheal & Austin Corbett helped more than maybe the Front Office had anticipated .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Unfortunately, I don't think you can separate the topics. I say this respectfully.
When you have that many injuries, not just on the Oline, it disrupts everything and puts more limited players in positions where they cannot be successful.
When you have a healthy defense and difference makers at multiple positions.. you can survive with Troy Reeder as one of your ILBs, for example.
David Edwards is acceptable as a guard when the rest of your unit is sound, for example.
Van Jefferson as a third receiver can be very, very effective... but as a #2? Not so much.

And, I don't think you can combine roster construction and cap decisions with drafting. Scouting and drafting are their own thing.

Massive injuries distort everything.

No doubt that all the above play a part. Then again let’s wait and see what The Rams look like on Monday Night? You never know who is going to step up?

Drafting? If you look absolve A’Jackson was a UDRFA who was a solid piece from being nothing in 2021.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The topic of the thread is Rams waive Terrell Lewis ... a third round pick that did not work-out.

On page four of this thread, I posted all the Rams' draft selections between rounds 2-5 for a four-year period. It took me 1,000 Hours to do That!!!

Personally, I see the following as two different and separate Rams' topics.
1. Rams awful season primarily due to injuries, especially an insane number of serious injuries to the O-Line.

2. Rams have not done a good job in drafting players in the middle rounds and/or retaining the good ones.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The topic of the thread is Rams waive Terrell Lewis ... a third round pick that did not work-out.

On page four of this thread, I posted all the Rams' draft selections between rounds 2-5 for a four-year period. It took me 1,000 Hours to do That!!!

Personally, I see the following as two different and separate Rams' topics.
1. Rams awful season primarily due to injuries, especially an insane number of serious injuries to the O-Line.

2. Rams have not done a good job in drafting players in the middle rounds and/or retaining the good ones.
Lol.. I appreciate the extensive research.

I understand what you're saying. I'm saying you can't properly evaluate players in this kind of circumstance.

And I couldn't disagree more with combining retention and drafting.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
carmeme11.png

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Well they spent $130M on FAs the last 2 yrs so they added significantly to their roster.

Still, the main issue this yr was an unprecedented amount of injuries to the OL.

Yes, the main issue this year is the injuries. They’re too numerous to overcome when they are mainly on the OL.

But this thread is about the release of a certain player and how that reflects on the drafting strategy of the Rams vs the results.

Moving forward towards the draft and the 2023 season, it should be a safe assumption that the OL will not be hit as hard as this year.