Rams waive Henderson and Hollins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe someone already mentioned this, but cutting 2 guys from the roster leaves open the possibility of raiding other teams' practice squads for 2 new acquisitions. No need to bring up our own practice squad guys because apparently... no one wants them at the moment or they would have been gone already. And if more players get hurt, the Rams can always bring someone up then. JMO.

LOL - Tennessee was doing this & producing quality depth & winning. Mcvay has to believe his coaching staff can do the same.
Hollins was claimed the same way.HENDO I question because he scored a Rams TD Sunday, but The Rams always tell players if they are not happy The Door is Open!! Cam Akers did it & The Rams tried to get rid of him. They just couldn’t allow it to get out of hand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So McVay decides to cut the only RB who's played in every game this season, and thus entrusting the duties to an RB who mysteriously was absent from the team for a couple weeks and who had missed all of last season due to injury, and a rookie RB who missed all of PS due to injury and then missed the regular season due to another one, and some folks dont acknowledge this is very effing bizarre?
I dont buy McVay giving up on the season, and doing Hendo a "solid" by cutting him. That sends a terrible message to the rest of the team who will still be left being expected to give it their all.

I'm just wondering if McVay finally got sick of all the injury shit with Hendo. He was allegedly feeling knee pain this week and he's been hurt plenty of other times. If the best ability is availability, Hendo was lacking in that area, enough so that it negated whatever good he did when he was on the field.

My speculation anyway.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
More than enough FA OL that have been available long before we got to this point.
I think it's a matter of how many street FAs can you get up to speed at one time? They've already got, what, four?
I totally get the frustration.. I just don't think they're trying to keep Evans.. they just keep ending up with him because they get more and more injuries.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Unraveling.....the team is unraveling before our eyes.
Even the violently insane Mike Martz managed to drag on the illusion of a Championship window for a couple of years.
Some of these moves are baffling.
Why can't this organization manage success?

WTF

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can't this organization manage success?
I don't know. The Rams have had winning records for several years now and went to 2 super bowls. They are just having a shit year, mostly due to injuries. In contrast, the niners have had a 500 record during the same period (I think). Happy to be a Rams fan! Tough year, but we'll be back. We've suffered through a lot worse -lol.

Ellard80

Legend
Yes and No.

Overall ... ABSOLUTELY! ... last season was far more pleasant!

However, one year ago today, the Rams were winding-down a win-less November; and the mood here was ugly. The Vent Thread following the loss to Green Bay (can currently be found on page 65 of the Forum) is a great example, and fun read.

The Rams are certainly NOT in a comparable position at this moment, as they were at 7-4 following the loss to the Packers. However, if you read through that thread, the Rams' 2021 Season was hopeless and over in many posters opinions. As we know, the Rams went-on to win 9-of-10, and a Lombardi.

Like most posters, I believe this is a lost season, and the Team has major issues. However, just as I remained optimistic and hopeful in early-December of 2021 for the remainder of the Rams' 2021 Season, I am also optimistic and hopeful for the Rams' future.

Finally, anyone who spends a few minutes reading through that Vent Thread from last year (again, page 65) might notice that some of the most negative posters in that thread are some of the most negative posters in recent threads. It's not about calling anyone out ... it's about having some perspective.
ROFL I went back and read it

Some of those posts are fucking PRICELESS.... actually had me cracking up.

It is pretty interesting how the chicken littles are basically the same chicken littles today.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
someone posted this earlier in this thread we are going to be maxed out on comp picks (I believe it was 4?) and that we were unlikely to get any from henderson.
I get that; and that's why I wrote in my original post that "I assume the Rams did an analysis, and do NOT see an impact for waiving pending free agents Henderson and Hollins."

However to state with certainty that the Rams will get the max of four comp picks is just Conjecture. There's no way to be certain before the 2023 off-season and free agent signings. Maybe the Rams re-sign a couple of their free agents; and / or, maybe they sign a couple of other teams free agents. Then there's the size of the contracts. Those things will impact the comp picks.

ANY pending free agent ... even lesser ones like Henderson and Hollins ... could impact the net gains and losses that go into the determination of compensatory picks. And, again ... I'm only talking about an extra #6 or #7. However, the simple question remains ... If the risk is losing a future late-round comp-pick, what (if any) is the advantage (benefit) of waiving the pending free agents at this time?

Ellard80

Legend
I get that; and that's why I wrote in my original post that "I assume the Rams did an analysis, and do NOT see an impact for waiving pending free agents Henderson and Hollins."

However to state with certainty that the Rams will get the max of four comp picks is just Conjecture. There's no way to be certain before the 2023 off-season and free agent signings. Maybe the Rams re-sign a couple of their free agents; and / or, maybe they sign a couple of other teams free agents. Then there's the size of the contracts. Those things will impact the comp picks.

ANY pending free agent ... even lesser ones like Henderson and Hollins ... could impact the net gains and losses that go into the determination of compensatory picks. And, again ... I'm only talking about an extra #6 or #7. However, the simple question remains ... If the risk is losing a future late-round comp-pick, what (if any) is the advantage (benefit) of waiving the pending free agents at this time?
They are likely also looking at practice squads and trying to pluck someone off of one they can give a look at.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't know. The Rams have had winning records for several years now and went to 2 super bowls. They are just having a shit year, mostly due to injuries. In contrast, the niners have had a 500 record during the same period (I think). Happy to be a Rams fan! Tough year, but we'll be back. We've suffered through a lot worse -lol.
The 49ers had a similar disaster season following a great season.

In 2019, the Evil-Niners were 13-3 and almost won the Super Bowl. Then in 2020, they were hammered with injuries, lost 7-of-9 to close-out the season, finished at 6-10 and in last place.

Last year, they were back in the NFC Championship Game and almost won.

The NFL is a wonderful and brutal game. Tests the players ... and the fans!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They are likely also looking at practice squads and trying to pluck someone off of one they can give a look at.
I only count 50 players on the current 53-man roster.

The Rams could move-up some of their own Practice Squad players, or ... as you said ... sign some players off of other teams' practice squads. Or a combination.

I think the Rams are down to just two true Edge players right now in Floyd and Lewis. Noticed Hoecht lined-up as an Edge on at least one play on Sunday. They have Hardy on IR (not sure how many moves they have left to activate off IR); and have three Edge players on their Practice Squad in Keir Thomas, Brayden Thomas and Zach VanValkenberg. I thought Keir Thomas looked really good in the pre-season games.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I only count 50 players on the current 53-man roster.

The Rams could move-up some of their own Practice Squad players, or ... as you said ... sign some players off of other teams' practice squads. Or a combination.

I think the Rams are down to just two true Edge players right now in Floyd and Lewis. Noticed Hoecht lined-up as an Edge on at least one play on Sunday. They have Hardy on IR (not sure how many moves they have left to activate off IR); and have three Edge players on their Practice Squad in Keir Thomas, Brayden Thomas and Zach VanValkenberg. I thought Keir Thomas looked really good in the pre-season games.
With Case Cookus moved-up the the 53-man roster, there now seems to be two open spots.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Not sure if anyone else remembers but when we were analyzing McVay before and after the hire I remember folks saying his run game in Washington was weak. If this is the case, I can see why RB’s might have issues in his offense. With Gurley being the exception. And lime others have mentioned the RB by committee may not be desirable.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand that ... and agree. Just trying to understand the Rams' reasoning and thought process.

The whole point of my post was ... WHY release him (regardless of whether he requested a release or not), when he may have had an impact on future comp picks. In other words, What was the benefit to the Rams?

I also specifically wrote that losing free agents like Henderson and/or Hollins would not have anything beyond a small impact on comp picks; and may not even have that. Regardless, it still goes to the question of ... What is the Benefit for the Rams waiving them now?

There have been many threads over the past couple years about the Rams' Strategy to maximize compensatory picks, and build the back-end of the roster with young and inexpensive mid/late round picks. Hence my question remains ... If there's a chance that waiving Henderson and Hollins now could cost the Rams a late round comp pick, is there any off-setting benefit or advantage?
IMO it's about continuing to do right by the players. As we've seen cited he was RB3 and now we also know he was having knee issues going into the game. We'll find out in an hour or two if he gets claimed and by what team.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Williams will be our third down back next year. They will add a FA given that the position looks very deep and is cheap relatively speaking. No idea on Akers but the key is don't position yourself to rely on him again. Let him compete in camp and see where it goes but do so from a position of strength. Our run game issues obviously are mostly on the OL but the RBs do matter too and I'd like to see us keep Akers around because at his cost he is a good darkhorse to have on the roster.

I'm afraid that second rounder will need to be used on a dice roll at LT. So hopefully one is there they like, and it'll be a project type because the good ones are gone round one. Maybe they can use the 2024 first rounder in combo with that pick to move up and get a day one starter if one is available into the 20s or whatever but this may override the better logic of taking BPA. If they can do that then things look a lot better as you have a backup worst case option in the event Jackson & Boom let you down. But Jackson enters the season as the projected starter barring them being worried about him medically.

Boom sticks around most likely unless they think Orlando Brown will hit FA. So chances are Boom gets another year and after next year the Rams have an out in the contract. Edwards is gone so Boom probably gets penciled in as our starting LG.

Center I am on the Shelton train, though I hope they use one of those late rounders on the position as well. Allen like Boom has an out after 2023 so that will be that for next season I'm afraid.

RG the obvious hope is Bruss is a year two revelation. That would be fantastic. Overall the key is building the OG depth because we're relying on Boom who is injury prone plus Bruss who also got hurt in his first action.

RT we simply don't have the resources to restack this side. Hav will be the guy. Boom is an option but the same old concerns stay with him if he moves over and at least Hav is a guy you can rely on to be healthy for the most part.

Not an ideal line. But we won a Super Bowl last year with a non-ideal line. And if they can make a shrewd add at RB in FA which should be doable maybe they finally get that run game going and balance up McVay's attack. His offense requires a run game threat.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I think Williams will be our third down back next year. They will add a FA given that the position looks very deep and is cheap relatively speaking. No idea on Akers but the key is don't position yourself to rely on him again. Let him compete in camp and see where it goes but do so from a position of strength. Our run game issues obviously are mostly on the OL but the RBs do matter too and I'd like to see us keep Akers around because at his cost he is a good darkhorse to have on the roster.

I'm afraid that second rounder will need to be used on a dice roll at LT. So hopefully one is there they like, and it'll be a project type because the good ones are gone round one. Maybe they can use the 2024 first rounder in combo with that pick to move up and get a day one starter if one is available into the 20s or whatever but this may override the better logic of taking BPA. If they can do that then things look a lot better as you have a backup worst case option in the event Jackson & Boom let you down. But Jackson enters the season as the projected starter barring them being worried about him medically.

Boom sticks around most likely unless they think Orlando Brown will hit FA. So chances are Boom gets another year and after next year the Rams have an out in the contract. Edwards is gone so Boom probably gets penciled in as our starting LG.

Center I am on the Shelton train, though I hope they use one of those late rounders on the position as well. Allen like Boom has an out after 2023 so that will be that for next season I'm afraid.

RG the obvious hope is Bruss is a year two revelation. That would be fantastic. Overall the key is building the OG depth because we're relying on Boom who is injury prone plus Bruss who also got hurt in his first action.

RT we simply don't have the resources to restack this side. Hav will be the guy. Boom is an option but the same old concerns stay with him if he moves over and at least Hav is a guy you can rely on to be healthy for the most part.

Not an ideal line. But we won a Super Bowl last year with a non-ideal line. And if they can make a shrewd add at RB in FA which should be doable maybe they finally get that run game going and balance up McVay's attack. His offense requires a run game threat.
I say go after Jason Kelce at center if the Eagles don't re-sign him. Think his vet presence would help out immensely.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The 49ers had a similar disaster season following a great season.

In 2019, the Evil-Niners were 13-3 and almost won the Super Bowl. Then in 2020, they were hammered with injuries, lost 7-of-9 to close-out the season, finished at 6-10 and in last place.

Last year, they were back in the NFC Championship Game and almost won.

The NFL is a wonderful and brutal game. Tests the players ... and the fans!

That is fine. Hard to see the total comparison.The cap situation & draft picks are so much different.
This season needs to still play out,but I like the way it is starting to continue to play out for The Rams.

I can talk about all the negatives,but the positives are Sean Mcvay & Les Snead continue to grind & not blame the process. They will not stop or blame the injuries for the success of The Rams organization.

I’m actually loving it in a dark sense.Meaning blocking out how the season goes & watching young players & the organization grow.

Hollins I was never a big fan of & thought he was a weak link & no further. HENDO I really liked as a scat type 3rd down back.

As Rodriquez says shows why The Rams kept Jake Funk around so long without having much RB skills.While also bringing Malcom Brown back & not resigning that RB (Georgia & NE).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I say go after Jason Kelce at center if the Eagles don't re-sign him. Think his vet presence would help out immensely.
He's flirted with retirement for a few years now. Also not sure he leaves the Eagles to join another team.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
He's flirted with retirement for a few years now. Also not sure he leaves the Eagles to join another team.

He'd fit right in on the body falling apart lol.......it's always worth a try tho in all seriousness. We need upgrades in that o-line room. We succeeded with old man Whit too

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That is fine. Hard to see the total comparison.The cap situation & draft picks are so much different.
This season needs to still play out,but I like the way it is starting to continue to play out for The Rams.

I can talk about all the negatives,but the positives are Sean Mcvay & Les Snead continue to grind & not blame the process. They will not stop or blame the injuries for the success of The Rams organization.

I’m actually loving it in a dark sense.Meaning blocking out how the season goes & watching young players & the organization grow.

Hollins I was never a big fan of & thought he was a weak link & no further. HENDO I really liked as a scat type 3rd down back.

As Rodriquez says shows why The Rams kept Jake Funk around so long without having much RB skills.While also bringing Malcom Brown back & not resigning that RB (Georgia & NE).
I agree with about 45% of this but disagree with about 72%. The other 37.5% just confuses me.