Rams vs. Bucs, Rams' Defense Have Shown Few Weaknesses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
That's why I don't understand why people are thinking we can win this game - they are the best run defense in the NFL. So, were not going to be able to run the ball.

Maybe not, but Seattle was one of the top run defenses too.

So much depends on how the Noteboom story unfolds Mon.--it's his run-blocking ability that concerns me the most--I'd hate to see a big drop off there. Whit always seems to know exactly where to go, to go engage a defender--he's rarely just out there lost.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I think Goff puts himself in those situations more than McVay does. but that's just my opinion. Goff really needs to start processing things faster.

I'm not a fan of empty backfields against D's overloading the line with rushers or attempting long, slow developing passes from deep in your own zone against a blitzer like Adams we couldn't seem to block.

Sure Goff can improve. So can McVay. Imo it starts with game strategy for the offense, which occasionally at least could be a little more conservative or unpredictable in terms of defaulting to the pass.

Look, McVay is a great coach and an offensive wizard. He is a really aggressive play caller on O and, right now, that's who he is. Imo he could be even better if he had a little more patience at times to let the game, including the running game, develop.

McVay has in effect said he is always trying to call the play which might work best in a specific situation, which is usually a pass or series of passes. Imo he can sometimes get too caught up in a play by play approach and lose sight of the best overall game strategy. Just my opinion, but we could easily have won the game against Miami with a more patient offensive strategy.

It would not surprise me if over the course of several years McVay eventually broadened his game calling to include some entirely different strategies and more game day unpredictability in terms of overall approach, much as Belichek has done on both sides of the ball. Belichek also has patience. But McVay's not there yet.

Please note I'm not trying to trigger arguments here, this is just my point of view about our offensive approach and has been for some time. I also hope McVay comes up with a great plan against Tampa Bay and maybe he will.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I think Goff puts himself in those situations more than McVay does. but that's just my opinion. Goff really needs to start processing things faster.

The obvious knock on him are the turnovers. Don't want to overthink it but would like to see him throw the ball away more or tuck it. Easy to say from my view on the couch, but when I watch Rodgers and Brady they seem more accepting to lose the down and give it another go on the next play/series rather than force stuff. But yeah, these 2 have made bad decisions too.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm not a fan of empty backfields against D's overloading the line with rushers or attempting long, slow developing passes from deep in your own zone against a blitzer like Adams we couldn't seem to block.

Sure Goff can improve. So can McVay. Imo it starts with game strategy for the offense, which occasionally at least could be a little more conservative or unpredictable in terms of defaulting to the pass.

Look, McVay is a great coach and an offensive wizard. He is a really aggressive play caller on O and, right now, that's who he is. Imo he could be even better if he had a little more patience at times to let the game, including the running game, develop.

McVay has in effect said he is always trying to call the play which might work best in a specific situation, which is usually a pass or series of passes. Imo he can sometimes get too caught up in a play by play approach and lose sight of the best overall game strategy. Just my opinion, but we could easily have won the game against Miami with a more patient offensive strategy.

It would not surprise me if over the course of several years McVay eventually broadened his game calling to include some entirely different strategies and more game day unpredictability in terms of overall approach, much as Belichek has done on both sides of the ball. Belichek also has patience. But McVay's not there yet.

Please note I'm not trying to trigger arguments here, this is just my point of view about our offensive approach and has been for some time. I also hope McVay comes up with a great plan against Tampa Bay and maybe he will.
I don't agree with everything here but I believe McVay doesn't have patience with the run game. I believe our run game is the strongest part of our offense yet we really don't take advantage and that falls 100% on McVay. On the other part I can't help to be disappointed at Goff's struggles with locking on to one WR or not recognizing coverages or a blitz. Hopefully both can keep getting better together.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I don't agree with everything here but I believe McVay doesn't have patience with the run game. I believe our run game is the strongest part of our offense yet we really don't take advantage and that falls 100% on McVay. On the other part I can't help to be disappointed at Goff's struggles with locking on to one WR or not recognizing coverages or a blitz. Hopefully both can keep getting better together.
It's funny I read a lot of comments that McVay doesn't put people away and gets too conservative with a lead but I also read that he doesn't have faith in the running game. I'm confused and this isn't just towards you as I said you read it all over this forum. He gets conservative with a lead in the 2nd half and runs the ball too much but he also doesn't trust the run game?

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I hope the guys can get to Brady and not let him have all day to get comfortable like Garopolo did when we played them. I want to see Brady get wrecked by AD (several times) but if the other guys can get there and make his day a living hell ill take that too.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
It's funny I read a lot of comments that McVay doesn't put people away and gets too conservative with a lead but I also read that he doesn't have faith in the running game. I'm confused and this isn't just towards you as I said you read it all over this forum. He gets conservative with a lead in the 2nd half and runs the ball too much but he also doesn't trust the run game?
I don't remember saying he doesn't trust but doesn't have patience with it. The reason you hear different things on the same subject is because we all have different opinions on how our offense should be run. No need to be confused about it.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm of the mind McVay will call plays to get the ball out of Goff's hand quick from the start because all the WRs can run after the catch.

This could be a big game for Higbee/Everett *IF* McVay doesn't forget them.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
He gets conservative with a lead in the 2nd half and runs the ball too much but he also doesn't trust the run game?

BS to whoever said that. If anything I would like to see him run the ball more, period.
If there is any sort of trust issue it would have to be in pass pro.

I would also say that , we will be able to run the ball on the bucs.
I think we can run on anybody and also that the Bucs run defense has not
been the same since they lost Vita Vea in the Giants game.
The Bucs are allowing more rushing yards per game (118.5) without Vea than with him (58.4),

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think that's accurate.
Realism is always how a pessimist justifies negativity.
Realism would reflect a winning record, an exciting and new defense on a record setting pace and a Sean McVay lead offense that could start clicking at any time.

The overblown dramatics of the-sky-is-falling fans calling the whole season a shit show when we were down at Buffalo wasn't realism. 3 weeks ago in Miami, according to the "realists", we were exposed, out of the division race, trash, garbage etc.

Fandom isn't a world I expect much realism from. Hope though, during a good football season? I do expect plenty of that, especially from a fanbase that should know better than most what a bad team without a chance actually looks like.

Well we just disagree. In 2018 I was very excited about this team. I felt they could win it all. But come time for the Superbowl I had a bad feeling, it all stemmed from McVay never having a good solution against the six man fronts. Until I see the Rams beat it I cannot get the feeling that they can defeat anyone they play. Its disheartening. The Miami game was a real nut cruncher. It is realism. Fandom is not seeing flaws in your team. Realism is knowing your teams flaws and not allowing bias to affect judgement.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What kind of bizarro world is it when I'm back to being the pollyanna?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I hope the guys can get to Brady and not let him have all day to get comfortable like Garopolo did when we played them. I want to see Brady get wrecked by AD (several times) but if the other guys can get there and make his day a living hell ill take that too.

IMO that's how you beat him, just as Von Miller and Wade Phillips did with the Broncos in the playoffs.

Brady hates got getting beat up on sacks. His game deteriorates when he gets hit and has continuing pressure in his face. He also can't really move, unlike a lot of other qbs Rams face this year.

Rams have a truly outstanding secondary. TB has a lot of good receivers. But they only have one quarterback (at a time, anyway). Getting to Brady is how we win this game.

Tano

Legend
Okay let me put it this way

McVay get's ultra conservative with a lead but abandons the run frequently when we get behind.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Brady is going to try to get the ball out quick so none of this soft zone defense, please.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't think that's accurate.
Realism is always how a pessimist justifies negativity.
Realism would reflect a winning record, an exciting and new defense on a record setting pace and a Sean McVay lead offense that could start clicking at any time.

The overblown dramatics of the-sky-is-falling fans calling the whole season a shit show when we were down at Buffalo wasn't realism. 3 weeks ago in Miami, according to the "realists", we were exposed, out of the division race, trash, garbage etc.

Fandom isn't a world I expect much realism from. Hope though, during a good football season? I do expect plenty of that, especially from a fanbase that should know better than most what a bad team without a chance actually looks like.
I'm with you. And did I here a bad offensive showing in Buffalo. I could have sworn I saw 28 unanswered points to take the lead. I think some people just block shit out. There also was 450 yards of offense in Miami, by the way.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm with you. And did I here a bad offensive showing in Buffalo. I could have sworn I saw 28 unanswered points to take the lead. I think some people just block shit out. There also was 450 yards of offense in Miami, by the way.

Yeah, there have not been any of those 2019 Bucs, Ravens, or Cowboys type beatings this year. The closest thing was the Niners game, but we were still in it in the 4th Q.

RamWoodie

Legend
No doubt, Train

Higbee is a great weapon that will get snaps chipping on Boom’s side and then release, motions to wham block the pressure but I think he gets some balls his way Monday night.
Let's not forget Mundt should he also play. I can see it because I see extra protection for Goff...but also that there are times Everett lines up as a WR.

Mundt is tough to bring down and a better blocker than Everett...he could see a few plays!