Rams vs. Bucs, Rams' Defense Have Shown Few Weaknesses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
The way the defense is playing i have no worries there. It seems that this year after we have a big game we follow it up with a not so good game. They had a pretty damn good game against the Seahawks so it would be awesome if they could show up and play their A game on Monday. I want the Rams to beat Arians and Brady after last year vs Tampa and SB 53.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Im not seeing where the Bucs are some invincible team. They've played a weak ass schedule & been eviscerated by the Saints twice.
The Rams plant Brady on his ass a couple times and he will be the one playing chuck and duck. Not Goff

I am sending 99, 52 & 54 every play and beating the shit out of Brady...fuck him, his asshole coach and the pirate ship they rode in on

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Tampa's tough, a must win too imo. Haven't beaten Brady since 2001 in the regular season; I want us to bury that hatchet.
1605897342428.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately its not McVay I'm worried about. If Goff can play mistake free and by that I mean not turning the ball over, we have a good chance of winning.

I'm concerned McVay will try to win the game on Goff's back. This would be a bad game to do it. Have Jared manage the game and play it safe.

RamWoodie

Legend
When it comes to the defense...the Ram secondary has to tackle well! The Bush have big recievers in Evans and Gronk. You have to get them down after a catch!

On offense Goff HAS TO BE WILLING TO TAKE OFF AND RUN for yardage...and he has to hear that clock in his head when under pressure. Get him on the move!

I hope Kupp is 100%...and McVay uses some 2 TE sets also. Lastly get Henderson out of the backfield on some LBs.

I gotta see McVay's first series to know where his head is on this game.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm concerned McVay will try to win the game on Goff's back. This would be a bad game to do it. Have Jared manage the game and play it safe.
I think McVay has no choice but to play it safe with Big Whit out and Note at LT. We need Goff to be smart and make decisions faster. If he can do that I believe we win.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The negativity towards the Rams, tied for 1st in the leagues best division, immediately following a fairly easy win in a big game against the biggest threat to winning the division -

What in the hell.
The negativity in the GDT is always a thing but this year it's been worse.
The pessimism and cynicism are out of sync with the season being played.

I blame covid and politics for poisoning everyone's optimism... but my God, if the teams most optimistic fans don't believe they have a shot vs the Bucs, I just have to hope our players and coaches don't subscribe to that same hopelessness.

Its like @FrantikRam said, Realism. If the offense didn't have such terrible showings against Miami and Buffalo, then there would be much more optimism. If this was a high scoring offense every week there would be more optimism too. But some defenses were a real challenge for Goff and his crew. The fact that McVay and Goff still struggle with the zero coverage defense is disheartening. Going on year three and still no answer? They should have how to defeat that defense down to a science by now.

On defense I'm not so worried. The Rams two worst performances were from Staley playing a soft defense and giving up too many short passes without a contest. He's ramped things up since then. The fact that this defense shutdown Wilson is a great sign. I think they can win this game but I fully understand the skepticism.

I like Wade but I just don't believe we had the personnel to run his type of defense.

We didn't have a big ass NT to take on two or three guys like most Wade teams.

Plus we didn't have a couple linebackers that really fit Wade's scheme as well.

What could this current defense look like with two upgraded linebackers? It would be complete.

I agree that Wade was missing those pieces up front

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I think McVay has no choice but to play it safe with Big Whit out and Note at LT. We need Goff to be smart and make decisions faster. If he can do that I believe we win.

I doubt McVay will change his pass first approach. Hopefully he will at least try to avoid putting Goff at unnecessary risk of being sacked or worse.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Its like @FrantikRam said, Realism. If the offense didn't have such terrible showings against Miami and Buffalo, then there would be much more optimism. If this was a high scoring offense every week there would be more optimism too. But some defenses were a real challenge for Goff and his crew. The fact that McVay and Goff still struggle with the zero coverage defense is disheartening. Going on year three and still no answer? They should have how to defeat that defense down to a science by now.

On defense I'm not so worried. The Rams two worst performances were from Staley playing a soft defense and giving up too many short passes without a contest. He's ramped things up since then. The fact that this defense shutdown Wilson is a great sign. I think they can win this game but I fully understand the skepticism.

What could this current defense look like with two upgraded linebackers? It would be complete.

I don't think that's accurate.
Realism is always how a pessimist justifies negativity.
Realism would reflect a winning record, an exciting and new defense on a record setting pace and a Sean McVay lead offense that could start clicking at any time.

The overblown dramatics of the-sky-is-falling fans calling the whole season a shit show when we were down at Buffalo wasn't realism. 3 weeks ago in Miami, according to the "realists", we were exposed, out of the division race, trash, garbage etc.

Fandom isn't a world I expect much realism from. Hope though, during a good football season? I do expect plenty of that, especially from a fanbase that should know better than most what a bad team without a chance actually looks like.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Bucs are shuffling their O-line.
I don't like the JPP vs Noteboom situation, but I think Donald vs their interior will level the scales a bit.

Which ever team can get its run game rolling best should win this game, so long as turnovers are a wash.
The Rams will have to collect on extra points and FGs when they are there, because the Bucs will.

Goffs eyes will probably be glued on Kupp on 3rd downs, the bucs nickel corner is their biggest weakness in the secondary. If he is allowed the time to find Kupp all day, the Rams will be in great shape. If the bucs D does what I expect and tries to confuse Goff, and take away Kupp on 3rd down, it will be up to McVay to counter that and quickly adjust his play calling and instructions for Goff.
If they DO commit to taking Kupp away, that should open up some opportunities for the TEs.
I expect a big game from Higbee.

20 - 16
Rams

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Higbee could very easily be the Rams standout receiver, just maybe
train
No doubt, Train

Higbee is a great weapon that will get snaps chipping on Boom’s side and then release, motions to wham block the pressure but I think he gets some balls his way Monday night.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I doubt McVay will change his pass first approach. Hopefully he will at least try to avoid putting Goff at unnecessary risk of being sacked or worse.
I think Goff puts himself in those situations more than McVay does. but that's just my opinion. Goff really needs to start processing things faster.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yea what's funny is I'd be confident the Rams would beat every team in the NFL except Tampa, Pittsburgh and a fully healthy Niners team - to me, that's not negative - and those happen to be the three best pass rushing teams in the NFL aside from us, as well as being very good against the run.

That's why I don't understand why people are thinking we can win this game - they are the best run defense in the NFL. So, were not going to be able to run the ball. The same people that are confident in the Rams being competitive will be the same people wondering why we threw the ball so much - their pass d is worse than their run d though.

As long as Goff has his normal (against elite defenses) 18-36 for 170 yards and one turnover type of games, I'm going to give him a pass for this game. What will be unacceptable to me is if he turns the ball over more than once - I don't care how much pressure he's under, that's going to be on him.

If I was designing a game plan, I would probably implement all the smoke and mirrors McVay can think up - 50/50 run with a RB and jet sweep with a WR. WR screens for every zero blitz. Basically watch what the Niners did to us and try to implement that.