Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Could use $16.7 million to bring Groy, Brandon Carr, and Barwin.(or two of the three)

Not sure if this right, but it seems like it is, but spotrac has the Rams at $23mil in cap space without woods so, about 15 mil. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/ They can get those guys maybe not Carr, but I suspect they will go after the younger Webster anyway with that space without trading Tru. If someone offers a 2nd and allows us to swap picks to move up in the middle of the drat great. Im just not sure there is a team out there who will.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This TruJo trade ordeal could go right up to draft day. Who blinks first ? Cleveland has put together a nice offense and still has their two 1'st round draft picks for a DE & QB if that's how they want to roll, but they haven't done much to help that defense, and they certainly aren't going to find a rookie CB in the 2'nd who is as good and battle tested as Tru Johnson, not on day one of the new season. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This TruJo trade ordeal could go right up to draft day. Who blinks first ? Cleveland has put together a nice offense and still has their two 1'st round draft picks for a DE & QB if that's how they want to roll, but they haven't done much to help that defense, and they certainly aren't going to find a rookie CB in the 2'nd who is as good and battle tested as Tru Johnson, not on day one of the new season. jmo.

So when donThe Rams find a CB ???
They have basically zero cover CB's ??

I'm a big fan of EJ Gaines , but by years end he was pathetic .
Hill had that crazy DUI ??
Then a guy known as MJ ??

Tru has a hold on The Rams pocket book. They have no choice right now ??

I guess a trade would be good , but how good is Tru ?? I like him as a Ram , but not sure his Tru value ?? Right now it is huge without any depth.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
So when donThe Rams find a CB ???
They have basically zero cover CB's ??

I'm a big fan of EJ Gaines , but by years end he was pathetic .
Hill had that crazy DUI ??
Then a guy known as MJ ??

Tru has a hold on The Rams pocket book. They have no choice right now ??

I guess a trade would be good , but how good is Tru ?? I like him as a Ram , but not sure his Tru value ?? Right now it is huge without any depth.

All very true. Tru doesn't really fit the Phillips scheme, nor does his CAP fit our team progression. TJ was a good fit in Greg William's zone, not so much in Wade's 'man'. I believe Cleveland's problem is that they don't want to give up that # 33 pick, but they'll be hard pressed to match TruJo's capabilities with a rookie gamble, at least out of the gate. I happen to think Tru is worth the 33. It's just possible the Rams have given permission for Tru's agent to negotiate a new long term contract with the Browns, so that could be holding things up also. The Rams do have enough available CAP to seek a tier 2 CB prior to the draft, but there are other needs which require attention, and if we can't unload Tru, we probably don't want to acquire a mid-level free agent when we can do better in the draft. It's a tough position for the front office to be in where a player has so much leverage.
Could be that a lot of the talk about extending Donald early is that if this Tru thing does go down to the wire before a trade actually happens, meaning draft day, being that the 1'st and most important phase of free agency doesn't leave much on the table following the draft, instead of seeking out a number of whatever players are left of the tier 2 & 3 free agents, we apply that money to Donald's extension while 2017 becomes a kind of developmental stage for the coaches & team chemistry to come together. Trading Tru does translate into additional quality free agents if it happens fairly soon, but either way we are going see big changes with our roster. jmo

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just wondering if you guys would be content to swap second rounders with Cleveland and then take a third, fourth or fifth for Tru. I don't think Cleveland gives their top second round pick out for him straight up.

Having them move to 37, would lesson the blow and if the Rams got an extra third, they would have a pick that can be turned into something else. That pick is one of the most tradable picks in the draft.

It would be nice to get a second round pick straight up but this would be a nice consolation

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Like Oakland as a spot for Tru. They need a CB, have been very quiet in free agency, have a 1st rounder at the end of the round. 42 million in cap space, they seem to be a fit.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Just wondering if you guys would be content to swap second rounders with Cleveland and then take a third, fourth or fifth for Tru. I don't think Cleveland gives their top second round pick out for him straight up.

Having them move to 37, would lesson the blow and if the Rams got an extra third, they would have a pick that can be turned into something else. That pick is one of the most tradable picks in the draft.

It would be nice to get a second round pick straight up but this would be a nice consolation

We need the highest pick we can get to secure either Engram or a WR that would be a starter / potentially our #1.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Been hearing Rams are knee deep in discussions with Phins on trading TruJo. Deal close to being done. Rams to get 2nd rounder. Phins are offering 2nd in '18 and later rd pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We need the highest pick we can get to secure either Engram or a WR that would be a starter / potentially our #1.

Swapping second rounders with Cleveland may be as high a pick as they can get. There are so many good corners in this draft, even with Jones injury. Why would a team want to pay Tru a big contract, when they can get a top corner cheap?

I am with you on wanting Ingram or a guy like Godwin. Teams may be looking to trade ahead of the Rams to secure those players in round two. Getting that 33 pick would be huge, even if they take less overall.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Been hearing Rams are knee deep in discussions with Phins on trading TruJo. Deal close to being done. Rams to get 2nd rounder. Phins are offering 2nd in '18 and later rd pick.

If we can get a 2nd this year and next then he should have landed in Miami already.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where are you hearing this?
Beggars cant be choosers, but I'd hate to trade for a 2018 pick, that doesn't do us any good in 2017. Especially being that this draft is where we will likely draft his replacement

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Where are you hearing this?
Beggars cant be choosers, but I'd hate to trade for a 2018 pick, that doesn't do us any good in 2017. Especially being that this draft is where we will likely draft his replacement

Looks like that's the hold up. Rams want the second this year. I hope they stand there ground on it.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

Sources brotha?! I'm all over twitter and other sites, no such rumors.

There was fake reports of something in the works with dolphins but if this had legs I'd love to know the source.

Thank you

Last edited: