Rams Top Draft Pick (Post Suh Signing)?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
The rams are all in this year and they need an edge rusher to take advantage of the inside pressure. For this year and the future. If they like one in the first at their spot then they'll take him.

I agree with this.
The best OLB edge rusher. Even if he is a rotational player who has one job....get upfield and pressure the QB.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Here's how I see it: Landry>Evans>LVE.

I think Landry is a legit top 10 player so if he falls I would jump all over it. If he's not the I'd really like Rashaan Evans out of Alabama. Very smart player against the run and he's also good at rushing the passer. He's like a poor man's Roquan Smith, which isn't a bad thing.

BadCompany

Rookie
I think they need some run stuffers, and some depth on the O-line. I can see teams just refusing to throw against us, so if they can eat up yards and time on the ground they will definitely do that. So my focus would be more on guys who can play the run, as opposed to more pass rushers. With Donald, Suh, and Brockers pushing the pocket I think just about any outside pass rusher is going to have an easy time.

On the offensive line we were ridiculously spoiled last year, injury-wise. That may not occur next year. I think we need to be prepared for that eventuality.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Snead can now let the draft come to him and take the highest on the Rams board since one of these players will fall to 23:
Payne, LVE, Landry, Evans, Ridley

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I think they need some run stuffers, and some depth on the O-line. I can see teams just refusing to throw against us, so if they can eat up yards and time on the ground they will definitely do that. So my focus would be more on guys who can play the run, as opposed to more pass rushers. With Donald, Suh, and Brockers pushing the pocket I think just about any outside pass rusher is going to have an easy time.

On the offensive line we were ridiculously spoiled last year, injury-wise. That may not occur next year. I think we need to be prepared for that eventuality.
Suh graded out as one of the best interior linemen vs. the run.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the Rams biggest need for 2018 is OLB who can rush the QB. That may not happen, and they have other needs anyway. I think if the right player at OLB or ILB falls to them, or a DL, or even the right OL they would consider drafting. Or if enough players they want fall, I could see a mild tradeback. Probably not into the second round, but I could see trading with - say Jacksonville - which should give the Rams an extra third, and maybe a late pick next year. That would let the Rams pick a value player to fill a hole, give them an extra pick to either get a great value in the third or maybe draft depth for the OL, and give the Rams a late pick they might trade during training camp to pick up a useful piece who is going to be cut and won't reach the Rams on waivers.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
If Landry or Griffin are there in the 1st or 3rd respectively, sure.

Otherwise I could see WR/OL, with a LB in the 4th.

Lots of athletic pass rushers in this draft.
But what if we take Landry in the first round but Griffin is gone by the time we pick in the 3rd round? Do you want us to try and trade Landry for a wide receiver who was also picked in the 1st round and then pick an OL in the 3rd round? Because that's what your post seems to indicate.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I was thinking of Landry. But then I thought Ebukam, Hager and Littleton can do the job just as well with Sun on board. Why not draft their future LOT in UCLA Kolton Miller?

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
OT Kolten Miller sure looks the part. Plug him in at RT and groom him for LT after Whit. Havenstein’s a FA after season.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Well, the Rams biggest need for 2018 is OLB who can rush the QB. That may not happen, and they have other needs anyway. I think if the right player at OLB or ILB falls to them, or a DL, or even the right OL they would consider drafting. Or if enough players they want fall, I could see a mild tradeback. Probably not into the second round, but I could see trading with - say Jacksonville - which should give the Rams an extra third, and maybe a late pick next year. That would let the Rams pick a value player to fill a hole, give them an extra pick to either get a great value in the third or maybe draft depth for the OL, and give the Rams a late pick they might trade during training camp to pick up a useful piece who is going to be cut and won't reach the Rams on waivers.
Wow,
Wow
Wow, you needn't be so specific! I mean, you only gave us what, five choices! Come on man! We're all giving one or two ideas!:rolllaugh:

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Cant see QB, RB, DL, CB, S being the pick. All other positions are on the table, based on who is available. Draft is about adding talent, not filling needs.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Cant see QB, RB, DL, CB, S being the pick. All other positions are on the table, based on who is available. Draft is about adding talent, not filling needs.
But if it's not about filling needs, and just adding talent then you can't eliminate any positions.

Smart teams pick players through out the draft depending on the area they might be picking, and then arranging to make trades up or down to get said player.

So yes the draft is about getting talent, but it's also a lot of the time about matching talents with needs, and then making the move to get those matches.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I dont think the current set up values the ILB position enough to spend a first round pick there. I do know they value weapons, guys who can cover, and guys who can rush the passer. For me, Harold Landry the EDGE player from Boston College and DJ Moore the WR from Maryland are the two guys who fit the bill most.

EXACTLY my thoughts, brotha! We do not value guys like LVE enough. For me, it’s Evans (can play both OLB or ILB-nasty blitzer) or Landry. If none avail then trade down, get picks, and restock our team with a lot of rookie options for future use when our cap gets significantly absorbed by our main stars.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How about Lorenzo Carter OLB, Georgia.... after a trade down to lower 20's

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Carter is intriguing to me. He didn't play like a 1st rounder last year IMO, but, he certainly has the measurables you'd want at OLB/EDGE. I'd think he could be had at the top of the 2nd however.

I think the options at 23 or EDGE, MLB, OLine, possibly WR if Ridley fell. Outside of that, I don't see what we would draft at 23 that would have a immediate impact this season. Its clear they are all in for SB this year, so I would think our 1st rounder would reflect that urgency and be an immediate impact player.

If Landry is there, no brainer to me. I certainly have doubts he will be there now however.

dang

Legend
Trade down for late first/early second plus 3rd. Then BPA between Edge/ILB with first pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think DT is going to be affected, in that we won't see them address that position until midrounds if even then. Only way they go DL early is if Vea falls to us which there's just no way in hell that happens.

I dont think the current set up values the ILB position enough to spend a first round pick there. I do know they value weapons, guys who can cover, and guys who can rush the passer. For me, Harold Landry the EDGE player from Boston College and DJ Moore the WR from Maryland are the two guys who fit the bill most.

Interesting take there SYG. I agree edge rusher is a higher priority, our highest in fact since Quinn was moved and that has not changed. However irt Wade's history with ILBs I think the truth could be that his system allows him to utilize non-elite players, not that he necessarily cannot utilize them. Oh and as to the WRs, I only see one guy who is worthy of a choice at 23 and expect him to be gone.

IMO the desired players for the Rams at 23 are something along the lines of...

1. ILB Evans. Fills ILB, but can also move around and rush the passer. Going to be elite in the NFL IMO and his flexibility under this staff would be an impact addition. He has a good chance to be a perennial pro bowler from year one on. I like this dude that much.

2. ***OLB Landry. Only IF they vet him and like what they get from it. I don't like a lot of his film and he would need to explain that to me, personally. Otherwise he drops off their 23 radar altogether.

3a. ILB Vander Esch. This is a guy you take who will QB your defense for the next decade. I think he has pro bowls in his future, he's got Laurinaitis consistency but is bigger and more talented, very much a round 1 LB.

3b. OLB Carter. I have him very close to Vander Esch. His rawness is countered by extremely high end size and ability. His ceiling is ridiculous. I believe under this staff this guy would develop into a special (elite) player.

4. OT Miller. This OT group is terrible, and I think Miller will go earlier than he should because of it. He's a round 2 guy to my eye, but him going in the 20s will be a supply and demand deal. I think he might be on the Rams' radar.

5. TE Gesicki. Putting him up here out of fear. Immensely good fit for what this offense lacks, which is a big guy at the TE spot who can stretch the seam. But I will be extremely irritated if the Rams go offense at 23.

What's really interesting in this particular draft is that there will be a player or two who will fall to 23 who carry "top 15" grades that are needs for us simply due to the 4 QBs who should go before we pick. The PROBLEM that I see with that is I expect one or maybe two of them to be CBs. Which will mean the Rams either continue stacking the secondary, pass on the best player, or take a trade down.

My suspicion is that Snead will move down with a team who wants one of the top CBs. As long as their desired list still has multiple options on it of course, which it should. Defensive value should be extremely good to my eye at least into the first half of round 2.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like others have said, it's gotta be edge rusher or linebacker . Personally I like rashaan Evans over Vander esch and Landry overall .I'd even consider Josh sweat or Lorenzo Carter in a trade down. But my dark horse candidate is Isaiah Wynn. I think he's a pro bowl guard in the making and our defense is good enough that we can focus the early pick on offense

Ram65

Legend

EXACTLY my thoughts, brotha! We do not value guys like LVE enough. For me, it’s Evans (can play both OLB or ILB-nasty blitzer) or Landry. If none avail then trade down, get picks, and restock our team with a lot of rookie options for future use when our cap gets significantly absorbed by our main stars.

I've been on these two for awhile. Hard to figure who will be available @23. Hope they sign Junior Galette first to go along with Ramik Wilson which gives them LBer depth and an edge pass rusher. That does give them the ability to in more directions.

At this point they should go all in defense. It's a toss up between Evans and Landry. Evans versatility makes me wonder if Wade would like him better. He could be a rushing or in coverage on pass downs while playing inside on early downs because he is solid against the run. Landry may have to be rotated in. He still has to improve some areas like using his hands.