Rams to rest Goff, Gurley, Donald, Whitworth, Sullivan and others against 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Me being right won't make me feel good, so I hope you're right.

You could be right if McVay really wants that 4 seed. If so, then we'll see a game with the Rams running the ball 80% of their plays or more and basically allowing for a strategic drop in the seeds.

Doubt McVay is capable of that, but to be honest I would not rule it out. The matchup against the Eagles round two is that good.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could be right if McVay really wants that 4 seed. If so, then we'll see a game with the Rams running the ball 80% of their plays or more and basically allowing for a strategic drop in the seeds.

Doubt McVay is capable of that, but to be honest I would not rule it out. The matchup against the Eagles round two is that good.
I think it's part of the decision making.

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
There's another way to look at this guy's. SF has nothing to gain by winning, in fact they'd lose spot(s) in the draft. If Shanahan was some egotistical maniac, maybe but I think he's smart enough to down shift.

nighttrain

Legend
There's another way to look at this guy's. SF has nothing to gain by winning, in fact they'd lose spot(s) in the draft. If Shanahan was some egotistical maniac, maybe but I think he's smart enough to down shift.
Too much cred to be had by beating the Rams
train

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Mc Vay is doing it right. No sense to risk injuries. Let's keep the starters fresh, strong and prepared for the playoffs.

Let the 49ers win and play mind-games with them for these reasons:

1. Niners are catching a hot streak and will have this false sense of bravado next year. Carlos Hyde said Niners are going to win the Super Bowl next year. So they are artificially putting a target on themselves as the team to beat.
2. Rams can always say that the let the Niners win on purpose and that the game means nothing except a warm-up run to the playoffs and Super Bowl victory. Can you imagine the Niner fan base going bat crazy when they hear that saying and get all riled up? Their fans will always feel insecured and always have to prove something out of nothing.
3. Niners draft slot is going lower and lower. More long term advantages for the Rams because of that.
4. When the Rams win it all this year, you'll hear nothing except crickets chirping from all the haters, especially the SF Whiners.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
McVay just said in his presser today that Gurley, Whitworth, Sullivan, and Donald will not be playing next week. Goff will be the backup QB.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

maybe itll be like that raiders-eagles game where it seriously seemed like each team was trying to lose but the other team just wouldnt let it happen.

McVay just said in his presser today that Gurley, Whitworth, Sullivan, and Donald will not be playing next week. Goff will be the backup QB.

seems like a prime opportunity to let hekker get some reps at QB, but okay...

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I was about to say...if you take whitworth out you need to take Goff out. I trust Blythe to take over Sullivan without a missing a beat, he's proven he can do it. Williams though...

Im actually really interested to see how this game plays out. I feel we still very much have a chance to win it, but we'll get to see some players that we havent seen much tape of. Personally i hope they start Davis along with Brown for our rbs. Been really wanting to see if Davis has fixed his fumbling issues, bc if he has he's going to be good.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017
Los Angeles Times - 5:00 PM

Mannion Lights up 49'ers !

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This was all just confirmed on NFLN!! Goff-Gurley-Whitworth-Sullivan and Donald, all "OUT" for Sundays game against the 9ers!!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope their d-line doesn't overpower our o-line, or it could be along day for Mannion.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Proof goff is a bust he has been benched

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-aaron-donald-among-rams-to-sit-out-week-17/

Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald among Rams to sit out Week 17
Posted by Josh Alper on December 27, 2017

898114224-e1514415545779.jpg

Getty Images

First-year Rams head coach Sean McVay is making his first decision about whether to rest players ahead of the playoffs and he hinted that he’d land on the side of sitting key starters with the Rams unable to move into one of the top two seeds with a victory.

On Wednesday, he confirmed that the Rams will be holding back many of their most important players.

Running back Todd Gurley won’t get a chance to add a final polish to his MVP case as the Rams will go with Malcolm Brown, Justin Davis and Lance Dunbar at running back. Whoever is running the ball will be taking handoffs from Sean Mannion as he’ll be quarterbacking in place of Jared Goff. Goff will dress as the backup.

Defensive tackle Aaron Donald, left tackle Andrew Whitworth and center John Sullivanwill also be inactive. Wide receiver Cooper Kupp and linebacker Mark Barron are both dealing with injuries and could help round out that inactive list against the 49ers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Keeping the critical four out (Whit, Gurley, Goff, Donald), and Sully's old so it's smart to rest him too. Have to think our ILBs will be subbed quickly, as well as some of the dinged up dudes like Kupp.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not sure what to think . Win and they get the Hags or Falcons and the Vikings in round 2 . Lose and the road is tougher IMO with either the Panthers or the Saints followed by what could be a frigid snow storm game in Philadelphia.
I'm not sure resting a few players is worth scenario two .

Panthers and Eagles are likely easier than having to go into Minnesota.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't rest anyone that wasn't injured. Guess I'm just not a fan of playing scared (as in, scared someone is gonna get injured). A loss might not be a big deal, but it has to screw with your head a little bit. Nobody likes to lose - whether you meant to or not.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Panthers and Eagles are likely easier than having to go into Minnesota.
I guess we'll see, but if the Saints knock off the Vikings then the NFC Championship game would be in NO . So many scenarios that could be second guessed . IMO the Panthers will be a tougher out than the Hags or Falcons 1, but in McVay I trust. I'm pretty sure he's thought about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm probably in the minority here, but I wouldn't rest anyone that wasn't injured. Guess I'm just not a fan of playing scared (as in, scared someone is gonna get injured). A loss might not be a big deal, but it has to screw with your head a little bit. Nobody likes to lose - whether you meant to or not.

Rams bounced back from every single loss this season.

Losing a key player means your season is over. Rams are already on the edge, IMO, in losing GZ. If they lost any of those four players their postseason would be a formality; no way they'd get to the big dance.

EDIT: plus, think how bad it's going to mindf*ck the 9ers to lose to the Rams second stringers and then wait all offseason for camp.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Im ok with the 4 seed. Im even more OK with our best players getting a second bye week before the playoffs.