Rams to rest Goff, Gurley, Donald, Whitworth, Sullivan and others against 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
Sean McVay: Rams to rest some starters in Week 17
0ap1000000236552.jpg

Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writerFor the few teams heading into Week 17 already locked into playoff position, the lingering question is whether to rest starters for the playoffs or play for a win heading into the tournament.

Two organizations are providing examples of each approach. Jacksonville coach Doug Marrone said the Jags will play to win Sunday against Tennessee. Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay is taking the opposite method, indicating he intends to rest some players in Week 17 versus the San Francisco 49ers.

The Rams already clinched the NFC West. At best they can be the No. 3 seed, at worst the No. 4 -- there is an argument that the lower seed might have a more desirable path through the NFC this season. At each spot, L.A. would host a playoff game on the Wild Card Weekend.

"Being locked into that third or fourth seed -- every single game is important -- but I think it will provide an opportunity for us to potentially get some guys healthier, rest them, give some other guys a chance to step up," McVay said Tuesday, via the team's official website. "How that affects the guys that are healthy that we want to be smart with is going to be determined as the week progresses. But it is one of those deals where I think you might see us rest some guys and use this week where, you don't ever take anything for granted, but knowing that you do have a home playoff game regardless of how things play out, this might provide an opportunity for us to get some guys healthy."

McVay added: "That's a luxury that we want to take advantage of. And everything that we do is what we think is best for our football team."

Players nursing injuries like Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron are obvious candidates to sit. The question is which healthy athletes will rest up for a January run.

Todd Gurley is sprinting toward an MVP bid after becoming the third player in NFL history with 2,000-plus scrimmage yards, 10-plus rush touchdowns and 6-plus receiving touchdowns in a season, joining Marshall Faulk and O.J. Simpson. The power back would seem like an obvious candidate to take at least most of the game off to avoid injury. Will Gurley lobby for carries to keep his narrow lead as the NFL's top rusher and try to oust Tom Brady for league MVP?

McVay indicated that decisions on one player -- left tackle Andrew Whitworth, for example -- could have a ripple effect on decisions made about how much playing time others receive Sunday.

"You've still got 53 guys on your active roster, how do you get to those 46? Now, fortunately for us, we are fairly healthy. But how we determine, as far as getting to that 46, and then if you do go with a Whitworth and [center John] Sullivan, how does that affect a Jared [Goff] and a Todd [Gurley]? But those things are all definitely connected. And those are things that we're going to discuss as the week progresses."

McVay didn't sound concerned about how resting players could influence any perceived momentum heading into the postseason.

"I think we've got the right types of guys who can handle that the right way and understand how we need to practice and what we need to do in the meantime if it is a situation where they're not going to play this coming week," he said.

Ram65

Legend
Whiners favored. At least 3 points. Just a guess.

Well, the drama is over. Better healthy to fight another day. McVay made sense in the press conference. Some depth guys get the practice they can use.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wonder what the line will be in this game or if it will be off the board and the local sports book.
Whiners favored. At least 3 points. Just a guess.

Well, the drama is over. Better healthy to fight another day. McVay made sense in the press conference. Some depth guys get the practice they can use.
I just checked, ( Yesterday the Rams where Favored by 4 points) right now the Rams are 1 point Dogs! In other words, the spread is 49ers -1 and the o/u is 44.5!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure what to think . Win and they get the Hags or Falcons and the Vikings in round 2 . Lose and the road is tougher IMO with either the Panthers or the Saints followed by what could be a frigid snow storm game in Philadelphia.
I'm not sure resting a few players is worth scenario two .

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Called it in the celebration thread ... I even got a different opinion ... I guess I know football

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure what to think . Win and they get the Hags or Falcons and the Vikings in round 2 . Lose and the road is tougher IMO with either the Panthers or the Saints followed by what could be a frigid snow storm game in Philadelphia.
I'm not sure resting a few players is worth scenario two .
I’m not sure losing goff and or Gurley Is worth it

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead of this...
ru6PNHD.jpg

We are letting the Niners come into our house to beat us in the last game of the season.

Ram65

Legend
I just checked, ( Yesterday the Rams where Favored by 4 points) right now the Rams are 1 point Dogs! In other words, the spread is 49ers -1 and the o/u is 44.5!

Would not surprise me if it went more in favor of the Whiners. The heavy betting has yet to be gone. Should be interesting to keep an eye on. Thanks

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Instead of this...
ru6PNHD.jpg

We are letting the Niners come into our house to beat us in the last game of the season.

Says who?! We can beat this team while resting many starters!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Featuring Mannion for a good part of the game probably not a bad idea either as he's likely trade bait following this season and entering his 'contract' year in 2018.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I don't agree that the Rams are going to let the whiners win. Even with backups in there, Wade calls a good defense. Rams will make a game of it and might even win it, which would be even more satisfying than blowing their punk @$$es out with our starters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Featuring Mannion for a good part of the game probably not a bad idea either as he's likely trade bait following this season and entering his 'contract' year in 2018.

If Mannion has a good game that is entirely possible. And it's also possible he has a good game. (y)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't agree that the Rams are going to let the whiners win. Even with backups in there, Wade calls a good defense. Rams will make a game of it and might even win it, which would be even more satisfying than blowing their punk @$$es out with our starters.
I disagree.
Hamstringing your team by taking Gurley, Goff, Whitworth, Sullivan, Barron, Ogletree by choice, is forfeiting the game. Sure McVay will coach up everyone who is playing, but these guys are back-ups for a reason. I'll be rooting for them, but Jimmy G. is legit and would be a massive upset if we win under these conditions.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Mannion has a good game that is entirely possible. And it's also possible he has a good game. (y)
Let's hope he balls out, so he'd make attractive trade bait..

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree.
Hamstringing your team by taking Gurley, Goff, Whitworth, Sullivan, Barron, Ogletree by choice, is forfeiting the game. Sure McVay will coach up everyone who is playing, but these guys are back-ups for a reason. I'll be rooting for them, but Jimmy G. is legit and would be a massive upset if we win under these conditions.

We shall see. I'm of the opinion the outcome of this game is going to surprise a lot of people.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We shall see. I'm of the opinion the outcome of this game is going to surprise a lot of people.
Me being right won't make me feel good, so I hope you're right.