Rams' starting offensive line returns intact, but there is a need to plan for future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm going LB with that third pick and looking for a FA LT or the first round pick next year.
Whats the chance of the Rams having a first round selection next year. Snead has traded away the the 2017 & 2018 first rounder & received commendations & praise for doing so. Snead traded away our 2018 & 2019 Second round selection too & received just as much. Its obvious I hold very little hope that Snead :mrburnsevil: can refrain from this in the future.

Back to your thoughts on desiring a edge rushing LB'er ...I feel the same way.... if it were not for my very BIG concerns @ LT.... I am all in for a #87 pick getting us the well needed OLB'er.(y)

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Whats the chance of the Rams having a first round selection next year. Snead has traded away the the 2017 & 2018 first rounder & received commendations & praise for doing so. Snead traded away our 2018 & 2019 Second round selection too & received the same. I hold very little hope that Snead can refrain from this in the future.

Back to your thoughts on desiring a edge rushing LB'er ...I feel the same way if it were not for my concerns @ LT I all in for a #87 pick getting us the well needed OLB'er.
Just comes down to who had a better shot at being a starting level player at that position.
History would say it is much harder to find a good solid LT than a good solid 3/4 OLB.
I would draft a couple of LT late however and see if something can be developed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just comes down to who had a better shot at being a starting level player at that position.
History would say it is much harder to find a good solid LT than a good solid 3/4 OLB.
I would draft a couple of LT late however and see if something can be developed.

I understand that would be my great hope too but since you mentioned history & I happen to consider learning from history as a good rudder in my life .....who was our last starting LT who was selected in the third day of the draft or developed up to a fair usable swing OT? I went back a half century & could not find one.

My belief that it far easier to find starting or effective passing down 34 D pass rushers on the Third day of the draft than to find a starting LT or reserve swing OT. There is a very good chance that 3/4ths of the below LB'ers will be available in the 4th round of the third day.

Jeff Holland SSOLB
Josh Sweat WSOLB
Tegray Scales ILB
Dorance Armstrong SSOLB
Micah Kiser ILB
Og Okoronkwo WSOLB
Shaquem Griffin play him anywhere !:bow:
Genard Avery ILB
Christian Sam WSOLB
Jack Cichy ILB

Last edited:

BadCompany

Rookie
Any significant free agents coming up in the next year or two? While the draft would be the most cost-efficient way to replace a guy like Whitworth if and when he retires, if we are good as we all hope we will be then we could become a destination place for free agents. In which case we might be able to land another Whitworth (or Sullivan for that matter).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Any significant free agents coming up in the next year or two? While the draft would be the most cost-efficient way to replace a guy like Whitworth if and when he retires, if we are good as we all hope we will be then we could become a destination place for free agents. In which case we might be able to land another Whitworth (or Sullivan for that matter).
Yes there will be a few very good starting LT's that could protect a pocket passer like Goff like Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews but Nate Solder who is a lesser LT than the other two signed a four year, $62 million contract with the Giants. Do you think the Rams could afford a contract like that next season?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Wait a minute!
Are you trying to tell me that Les Snead has not ALREADY traded our next three years worth of first round picks?

:D I'm literally on the edge of my seat every day now waiting for that 2019 first round pick to go flying away.

Just please!
Not Dez Bryant!

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Yes there will be a few very good starting LT's that could protect a pocket passer like Goff like Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews but Nate Solder who is a lesser LT than the other two signed a four year, $62 million contract with the Giants. Do you think the Rams could afford a contract like that next season?
If they don't sign cooks.:LOL:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Lucas week 17 va SF. I say RT Jacobarch says LT.
Lucas started & played Right Tackle post. Williams started @ LT. Blythe @ LG, Nearly @ OC & Brown @ RG.

Darrell Williams just appeared slow in his set up & his inconsistencies was constant. DW also show'd me that he is fast to lose technique in the 9ers matchups. DW should do well in this Kromer scheme but the Rams truly need a game day swing OT & unless DW can get stronger & bigger to play some strong side RT he really has little value IMO.

Now Lucas I am more hopeful off as being a swing OT prospect for the Rams in 2018. But still its a long shot.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Lucas started & played Right Tackle post. Williams started @ LT. Blythe @ LG, Nearly @ OC & Brown @ RG.

Darrell Williams just appeared slow in his set up & his inconsistencies was constant. DW also show'd me that he is fast to lose technique in the 9ers matchups. DW should do well in this Kromer scheme but the Rams truly need a game day swing OT & unless DW can get stronger & bigger to play some strong side RT he really has little value IMO.

Now Lucas I am more hopeful off as being a swing OT prospect for the Rams in 2018. But still its a long shot.
I agree it being a long shot with Lucas.
People will reference his size etc. Size means nothing, in fact can be a disadvantage, if he can't play with bend. Especially on the left side.
Williams has shown no ability to play RT. He was solid in the preseason and listed as depth at LT all year. This is why I assumed he played LT. Williams did improve last year but still has a ways to go.
Blythe was solid when he played last year and Neary was not bad vs SF at C. That I do remember. Not physically dominating or anything, but solid. The interior at least has some depth. At LT there is nothing there at this point. As much as I hate to say it at this point Saffold would be the back up LT in a game situation I would think.
Drafting guys late round looking for a starting LT.....yikes.
Will be interesting to see if Lucas can progress on the left side or if he is even given that shot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree it being a long shot with Lucas.
People will reference his size etc. Size means nothing, in fact can be a disadvantage, if he can't play with bend. Especially on the left side.
Williams has shown no ability to play RT. He was solid in the preseason and listed as depth at LT all year. This is why I assumed he played LT. Williams did improve last year but still has a ways to go.
Blythe was solid when he played last year and Neary was not bad vs SF at C. That I do remember. Not physically dominating or anything, but solid. The interior at least has some depth. At LT there is nothing there at this point. As much as I hate to say it at this point Saffold would be the back up LT in a game situation I would think.
Drafting guys late round looking for a starting LT.....yikes.
Will be interesting to see if Lucas can progress on the left side or if he is even given that shot.

I sure have no issues with Snead/ McVay/ Kromer utilizing any of our seven 4th & 6th rd selections on RT/RG/OC & LG positions. Past draft history is nowhere as hard on these four OL positions but NFL history has shown to be waste of valuable draft selections if there are used to draft pure LT types to be quick future starting material.

The problem for the Rams in this draft is the real possibility of having holes at both OT spots next offseason with Andrew Whitworth nearing the end of his career and Rob Havenstein’s contract expiring. Snead was in a position to sign a good starting LT early in 2017...he will NOT be in that promising position in 2019 to fix this issue unless he unloads some serious all ready paid for construction in other talented players.

So if Lucas can show some possible potential this early season he might be in an excellent position to be the only RT prospect on the roster ready to replace the departed Havenstien in 2019. Both Havenstein & Lucas are close in size with Havenstein being close to 6-8 328 & Lucas being under 6-9 330lbs.

Now back to the biggest future problem @ LT...IMO If your thinking that a Darrell Williams or a 2018 last day draft selection will be capable of replacing Andrew Whitworth or even be a stop gap piece .... :stop::palm:

Last edited: