Rams' starting offensive line returns intact, but there is a need to plan for future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' starting offensive line returns intact, but there is a need to plan for future

By GARY KLEIN
APR 16, 2018 | 3:15 PM

GOXIQBEY6FDLNISU7WGY4JC6YM.jpg

Rams offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth, 77, Rodger Saffold, 76, John Sullivan, 65 and Rob Havenstein, 79, prepare to play the Seahawks at the Coliseum. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

As the Rams prepare for the NFL draft, the Los Angeles Times will examine their roster. Part 5 of 8: offensive line.

The Rams' offensive line achieved a notable feat last season: The same five players started every game before coach Sean McVay decided not to risk injury in an otherwise meaningless regular-season finale.

All five starters return: left tackle Andrew Whitworth, left guard Rodger Saffold, center John Sullivan, right guard Jamon Brown and right tackle Rob Havenstein.

But with Whitworth and Sullivan on the far end of their careers — and Saffold, Brown and Havenstein in the final year of their contracts — the Rams will be looking for offensive linemen in the April 26-28 draft regardless of whether they plan to extend the contracts of any current starters.

Drafting offensive linemen would mark a departure for a team that did not select any in 2016 or 2017.

Top prospects such as Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame tackle Mike McGlinchey and others are not expected to be on the board when the Rams make their first pick at No. 87 in the third round.

Though they re-signed Sullivan in March, the Rams are in the market for a center who could learn at the veteran's elbow, and a tackle to be mentored by Whitworth.

Regardless, the Rams will be counting on their strength and conditioning staff — and luck — to keep the five starters available on game days for the second year in a row.

Offensive linemen under contract: Andrew Whitworth ($12.6 million), Rodger Saffold ($7.9 million), John Sullivan ($6.2 million), Jamon Brown ($2.1 million), Rob Havenstein ($1.2 million), Darrell Williams ($705,000), Cornelius Lucas ($630,000), Austin Blythe ($630,000), Aaron Neary ($555,000), Jake Eldrenkamp ($480,000) and Michael Dunn ($480,000).

Free agents: On Monday, the Rams re-signed Darrell Williams and Cornelius Lucas for minimum salaries. After maneuvering to make room under the salary cap for free agent defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, they probably will stick to the draft and undrafted free agents to build depth on the offensive line.

Draft: The Rams have not selected an offensive lineman since 2015, when they chose Havenstein, Brown, Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann. Ohio State's Billy Price played guard and center as a four-year starter, but it would be a surprise if he fell to the third round.

Roster decisions: Havenstein was a second-round pick and Brown a third-round choice, so neither can be controlled with a fifth-year option. Saffold has been with the Rams his entire career, but in the current market for offensive linemen he might be getting too expensive to sign long term.

[www.latimes.com]

fearsomefour

Legend
Our main tool is Aaron Kromer.

Let's hope we have some Scouts that can get him some raw material to work with.
Agreed.
The Rams should be able to keep one of either Brown or Havenstein, maybe both.
The team NEEDS Whitworth for two more years. The idea of finding a very good LT after round 4 is a bit of a pipe dream.
Blythe was certainly solid last year. Williams improved at LT last year but is a depth guy.
Neery didn't look terrible at C bs SF week 17.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Agreed.
The team NEEDS Whitworth for two more years. The idea of finding a very good LT after round 4 is a bit of a pipe dream.
Blythe was certainly solid last year. Williams improved at LT last year but is a depth guy.
Careful there. A lot of people here might come down on you and tell you numerous stories about late round picks becoming pro bowl starters. Not me though, because I'm too nice to do something like that.:neener:

As always, this is my opinion only.

fearsomefour

Legend
Careful there. A lot of people here might come down on you and tell you numerous stories about late round picks becoming pro bowl starters. Not me though, because I'm too nice to do something like that.:neener:

As always, this is my opinion only.
Exceptions prove rules.
A small percentage of exceptions change nothing.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Last year Havs was the 2nd highest rated run blocking tackle (staley, 9ers). Another year like that, along with another year of high scoring offense, and he could break the bank next year for a RT.

Whitworth can't play forever.

It's IMPERATIVE that the Rams bring in an OT who can start as early as 2019.They might even need 2 by then.

Heck, they might also need 2 guards by then.

I think it would be wise to pick up both a tackle and a guard this draft.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Spoke to my nephew Sunday about his Nevada pro day, and he said he has talked to his buddy Austin Corbett and that the Rams and Kromer were really talking to him, and checking back with him. I don't know if he will be there at #87, or if we go lower rounds for O-line depth.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Spoke to my nephew Sunday about his Nevada pro day, and he said he has talked to his buddy Austin Corbett and that the Rams and Kromer were really talking to him, and checking back with him. I don't know if he will be there at #87, or if we go lower rounds for O-line depth.

Interesting!

I like Corbett and feel he would work well at the Rams. I don't see him getting out of the 2nd round though. The OT pool is a little shallower this year than in the past IMHO.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All this sky is falling when there's talk about the future. Its been a long time since I felt like we could be a Superbowl team. I'm going to enjoy an exciting young team while I can. I'm not gonna let worries about the future take away from that. That is Snead's job to worry about the future. Not mine.

They're not going to maintain pro bowl talent across the board for many years. Its impossible with this salary cap. And they're not going to win a Superbowl every year.

Whats better? Loading up to win a Superbowl or two and then have a couple down seasons. Then reloading again for another run in a few years?

Or holding onto all your picks to try and maintain a competitive team? Maybe never win anything but stay competitive? We had a lot of picks during the Fisher era and half the time we weren't even competitive. Recycled vet players in favor of youth. Weren't we usually the youngest team in the league most of Fisher's years?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed.
Been pondering this draft & the LT situation now for long time. I agree with your assessment of the majority thought that the Rams can find a future starting LT & Starting RT with the third day draft selections.

I have now moved to where If it were up to me I would suggest using the #87 on a Swing OT prospect. The best three I can find that have a good chance possibility in being on the board are Brian O'Neil, Geron Christian & Chuks Okorafor. Waiting to get a legit Swing OT later would be one serious gamble that the Rams can not afford to take.

Come away with one of them & the Rams should be in decent shape.

fearsomefour

Legend
Been pondering this draft & the LT situation now for long time. I agree with your assessment of the majority thought that the Rams can find a future starting LT & Starting RT with the third day draft selections.

I have now moved to where If it were up to me I would suggest using the #87 on a Swing OT prospect. The best three I can find that have a good chance possibility in being on the board are Brian O'Neil, Geron Christian & Chuks Okorafor. Waiting to get a legit Swing OT later would be one serious gamble that the Rams can not afford to take.

Come away with one of them & the Rams should be in decent shape.
I'm going LB with that third pick and looking for a FA LT or the first round pick next year.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm going LB with that third pick
I think the question is inside or outside LB.

Hopefully the BPA is an outside linebacker.

Looks like they are going with Barron and Ramik Wilson on the inside.

At 237 and 214, (ouch) we are still lacking beef in the middle though.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the question is inside or outside LB.

Hopefully the BPA is an outside linebacker.

Looks like they are going with Barron and Ramik Wilson on the inside.

At 237 and 214, (ouch) we are still lacking beef in the middle though.
Those guys are bigger than that.
They never update weights.
I would assume OLB to try and find a pass rusher.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
yeah but some here, JUST LIKE YOU HAVE WHEREVER YOU GO, state their opinion as fact. Well I'm not that smart so I use that phrase sort of as a signature.
I have?

I'm pretty sure most of us are smart enough to realize that these are opinions being expressed and we have no real inside info.