Rams signing Robert Woods

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
latest rumor has Josh Gordon coming to rams also. Woods, Gordon and Austin in the slot as Rams starting WR's?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I will first say, that I never believed Whitworth would ever be a strong target or considered by the Rams brass because of his age & projected price tag.

(The #1 reason I appreciate the signing other than his performance on the field the last few years, is because he reminds me of the durable Cal Ripken Jr. "The Iron Man" at the ripe old age of 35.

Unless Whitworth suddenly has a fluke injury or just runs out of gas due to father time, it's not unrealistic to envision him remaining a top 10 Left Tackle in Pass Protection for the next 2 NFL seasons. The young QB on this team badly needs to take the next step in 2017 and with a top 10 blind side protector, he will have a fair chance to do that.

Woods? I think most everyone that knows his history from USC and his overall body of work in Buffalo can understand why the Rams had him highly targeted. He's no where near a #1 WR but he's got all the tools that make him easily a very solid #2.

The other bonus is he only turns 25 years old on 04/10/2017 and is entering the prime years of his career..... there is hope he stays on this team for the duration of his contract.

Though we don't know if Whit or Woods will perform up to the value of their contracts, these are worthy F/A signings on the surface. Until proven different, we have to give McVay and company the benefit of the doubt for doing their homework.

325019.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What rumor? A Rams fan blog? C'mon.......

Well, Gordon tweeted a somewhat cryptic tweet about the football gods and being blessed which seems to indicate that he's found a home.

Plus, he's 6'3" 225# and only 25. If he's squared away, that BEAST in a McVay offense with Woods and Austin???

Remember, talent has NEVER been the question. Based on what I've read, he's squared away. If so, there's our #1 WR and we'll get him dirt cheap because of his past.

He's twice the WR Quick is (3x?) and would have the coaching and support to just blow up.

Get Gordon and secure the C position and IM TELLING YOU, we're going to the playoffs, even with this bs schedule!!!

If we get Gordon, I fully expect us to go CB, C in the 2/3 rounds unless someone insane drops.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Anyone know if Gordon was even reinstated? I hadn't heard anything myself.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Anyone know if Gordon was even reinstated? I hadn't heard anything myself.

They were set to reinstate him for the start of last year, before he made the decision to go to rehab for real help.

It's under the assumption that he will get reinstated this year... like they were going to... Since he hasn't broken any rules this slate.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well, Gordon tweeted a somewhat cryptic tweet about the football gods and being blessed which seems to indicate that he's found a home.

Plus, he's 6'3" 225# and only 25. If he's squared away, that BEAST in a McVay offense with Woods and Austin???

Remember, talent has NEVER been the question. Based on what I've read, he's squared away. If so, there's our #1 WR and we'll get him dirt cheap because of his past.

He's twice the WR Quick is (3x?) and would have the coaching and support to just blow up.

Get Gordon and secure the C position and IM TELLING YOU, we're going to the playoffs, even with this bs schedule!!!

If we get Gordon, I fully expect us to go CB, C in the 2/3 rounds unless someone insane drops.
maybe he is blessed with being reinstated?? Remember.. .the guy is still property of the Browns. So he is NOT free to just go and sign a FA contract. He first has to be reinstated form the league, then things get settled.

lockdnram21

Legend
The cat only got about 70-75 targets in a run first, and throw to Sammy Watkins when they pass offense and still avg about 50 catches, 600+ yards and 3 TD
Good player who needed a change of scenery and Im glad he got it
Yea he's going to have a bigger role... I think he can play the role that Garcon played in mcvay offense

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not yet, but I would expect an answer soon.

My take: teams take issues like a player getting clean SUPER SERIOUSLY. They will take plenty of chances on troubled guys (If McDonald and Hardy can be signed in this climate, then anyone can)

He's missed a LOT of football. Teams KNOW he's a 1 strike and he's done forever.

Any agent BSing about a player getting clean won't be an agent anymore, so I'm thinking it's a safe bet he's clean and wants to be in football badly.

Given that...that the agent is most likely telling the truth...I'd say that an in shape and inspired Gordon (and let's not underestimate McVay in this...we as fans are ready to suit up and we're just fans. I think he's gonna be motivational gold) will be poised to dominate.

I could be wrong, but I look around the league and I can't think of a better place for him to redeem himself.

I wouldn't hand him anything, but give him the chance to earn everything the #1 spot. If he gets cleared, comes in and earns it, the Rams won't just make the playoffs, we'll be that team (likely a WC as the team learns the O, D and to play together) NO ONE wants to play.

lockdnram21

Legend
That's assuming the Rams are done making additions at WR, which they almost certainly aren't.

IMO its more likely that Tavon fills the Jamison Crowder role, Woods plays the Garcon role, and they find there deep threat/redzone guy in the draft to fill the DeSean role.
Cooper is going to fill the crowder role

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Back to Woods, he has a better catch radius, and tracks the ball better than any of our current, and past few years WR's, easy. He is also a willing, and accomplished blocker. He makes really bad passes, look good. Watch his highlights.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We don't need what people refer to as a number 1. Go into next year with Woods, Austin, Cooper, Thomas along side Kendricks, Higbee and Hemingway. We then draft JuJu or another in the 2nd. With an improved OLine and McVay we have greatly improved our offense along with a Gurley rebound. Let the WR compete for Goffs attention, he's the one who will decide is our best receiver.

Agreed. Today's NFL is about number of matchups, if you have 3+ guys who can mismatch, that give defenses pause, you're gonna be hard to stop. 4+ and you've really got something.

GSoT had 4... Faulk, Ike, Holt, and Hakim. And Faulk of course could eat LBs in the passing game out of the backfield.

I don't know what Gurley's prognosis is for the passing game, but I'm guessing under McVay he'll have a good chance to show what he can do. Rams are going to need a few of these guys to step up to have a good passing game. And of course the run game goes without saying for balance, but I think the Rams will be fine there.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
If our receivers end up looking like this... I would be totally happy and content:

Tavon, Zay, Woods, Cooper, Thomas, Spruce

Gordon, Tavon, Zay, Woods, Cooper, Thomas

Tavon, Zay, Woods, Godwin, Cooper, Thomas

Tavon, Zay, JuJu, Woods, Cooper, Thomas

The only problem I have with not having Gordon/#1 receiver, is the defenses we face will routinely disrespect our pass... Until / Unless we make them regret it via McVay/Goff.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Cooper is going to fill the crowder role

Again I don't think the Rams are done making additions at WR. right now he is the number 3 guy behind Woods and Tavon and could move further down the pecking order with another addition. Crowder played a huge role in the skins offense and we wont get that type of production out of the number 4 receiver.