Rams signing OG Jonah Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Asshole Face is from that Parcells tree where the QB having room to step up allows you to have more physical tackles vice the guys with great feet. And that style tends to work very well in the playoffs.
And that is how that works. Nice explanation of how a solid pocket can affect other positions:cheers2:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Would still like them to resign Shelton to back up C and G.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Well, they aren't drafting Cooper Beebe. But I'm perfectly fine with this signing. Jackson's around the same age as Dotson, and I was on board with moving Avila to center from the start.
Ya I'm good with it too, moving Avila to C that is, I'm just so nervous about making our OL switch around. With Jackson at LG, if he gets hurt then Avila sliding over & making room for the back-up C makes better sense than drafting a rookie C & hoping for the best. Avila does have center experience in college, and is now familiar with the Rams blocking scheme sso maybe this is all OK & I"m nervous for nothing.
I Have wanted a stud center for a long time now. Avila is certainly a stud, just hoping he works out at C really well.
because... if so.... yes, this should be one of the biggest OL's we've had in a long time. These boys will look like beasts getting off the bus.

TexasRam

Legend
Very surprising.

Avila at center should really upgrade our Oline but not sure Jackson is as good as people are expecting.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Man, if they go OL with pick 19 we will be needing to score 50 every game to be in it.
Maybe. Looking at our needs here's where I think we're deficient and where I'm guessing we'd need to address them to have a reasonable hope of hitting on a starter:

Edge: first three rounds.
5T: first two rounds.
CB: first three rounds.
S: anywhere.
ILB: first three rounds.
DL rotation: anywhere.

So let's say LT falls to them at 19. They can still go Edge, Corner, 5T in those first three rounds, then address S and DL depth later. That would leave them with only ILB unaddressed.

FA bargains still have yet to be determined. Rozeboom might be retained which would help at ILB. Edge maybe they still sign one of those bargain types.

They will definitely enter 2024 with roster holes on defense. But if they have a good draft there's still room for them to field an improved defense.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Avila started 17 games at center for TCU before switching to OG.

I found an article from the Senior Bowl in which he was asked which position he preferred.

His response:
There is some recency bias because I came off a whole year playing left guard and had success there, but hopping back into center, it’s like riding a bike, you never forget how to do that.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Okay, I've got a question. How does Jonah Jackson get more money than Kevin Dotson?
I thought that Dotson was rated the best guard by PFF for last year.
(I certainly agree that PFF isn't flawless and some do not agree with their grades, but still....)

~ArkyRamsFan~

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Okay, I've got a question. How does Jonah Jackson get more money than Kevin Dotson?
I thought that Dotson was rated the best guard by PFF for last year.
(I certainly agree that PFF isn't flawless and some do not agree with their grades, but still....)

~ArkyRamsFan~
Better track record...not a one year wonder. Dotson has more to prove.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
R3.83 for that kid from Yale maybe.
Yeah, him or Blake Fisher from ND tend to show up in late rd 2 & rd 3 in many mocks. I have mocked those guys to us to replace Noteboom as the swing guy this yr and maybe eventually starting RT or LT.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A lot of $$$. A whole lot. But it would be interesting to determine any feeling of dread having to play for such a trash organization.
Same issue the Rams had in St Louis during the bad years, when they had to grossly overpay for FAs.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe. Looking at our needs here's where I think we're deficient and where I'm guessing we'd need to address them to have a reasonable hope of hitting on a starter:

Edge: first three rounds.
5T: first two rounds.
CB: first three rounds.
S: anywhere.
ILB: first three rounds.
DL rotation: anywhere.

So let's say LT falls to them at 19. They can still go Edge, Corner, 5T in those first three rounds, then address S and DL depth later. That would leave them with only ILB unaddressed.

FA bargains still have yet to be determined. Rozeboom might be retained which would help at ILB. Edge maybe they still sign one of those bargain types.

They will definitely enter 2024 with roster holes on defense. But if they have a good draft there's still room for them to field an improved defense.
Next FA has to be an edge...whether vet stop gap or potential emerging guy. They have to get a legitimate guy so they are not desperate on draft day.