Rams sign QB Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
As much as I liked Clemens, Hill is a much better passer, and we will actually be able to have a passing game if he has to play. Let's just hope he doesn't!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I approve of this move.

We ain't gonna need him anyways... :sneaky:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Smart QB that's been around the block, even played under Mike Martz. Can manage the game if Sam goes down, good mentor, and one of the better backups in the league.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
1 yr. deal egh? Tells me we have our sights set on a rookie QB for our furture to groom if Sam doesnt pan out. Apparently this is the year for Sam's make or break year contract wise... extension or let it run out. We'll see...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1 yr. deal egh? Tells me we have our sights set on a rookie QB for our furture to groom if Sam doesnt pan out. Apparently this is the year for Sam's make or break year contract wise... extension or let it run out. We'll see...

I think 1yr is perfect.

He obviously didn't have a better option, so why put our cap at risk for 2015 on a backup QB who is 34?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

I'm still not sure this is a "make or break" year for Sam, but this is a good back up as back ups go. Although if Sam is able to perform and does, he will obviously help his financial situation greatly. Should be a good mentor to the long term back up if drafted this year.

Ram_of_Old

This was a big move guys! Hill is serviceable and a solid veteran! This was a BIG piece to the puzzle.

Besides, the Redskins fans in the office have been killing me with the possibility that the Rams signed "Buttboy Sanchez!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I think 1yr is perfect.

He obviously didn't have a better option, so why put our cap at risk for 2015 on a backup QB who is 34?
Yes I hear that no point breaking the bank which is why we signed a decent journeyman when we can have a rookie we get this year be a cheaper backup to learn the ropes this year.
I'm still not sure this is a "make or break" year for Sam, but this is a good back up as back ups go. Although if Sam is able to perform and does, he will obviously help his financial situation greatly. Should be a good mentor to the long term back up if drafted this year.

It is as far as his contract goes. They have already state they are wanting to set up something with him and his agent however they are holding off on it till after this season. If he has another injury plagued and bad year this might be a curtain call for him if he doesn't lower his dollar amount on contract with us. Especially if the rookie QB we draft this year looks promising!

RamBill

Legend
Ram Bytes: QB Shaun Hill is a smart signing
• Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_de33f6f8-5305-5c8d-849f-1dd77201137b.html

I really like the Rams' signing of Shaun Hill as their veteran backup quarterback for 2014. He's been one of the better No. 2 quarterbacks in the NFL since getting his first opportunity to start in a relief role for San Francisco in 2007. And he'll be reunited in St. Louis with Frank Cignetti, who was the QB coach with the 49ers during Hill's time there.

We'll take a look at that in a moment, but first … theres's one caveat: Hill hasn't played much football over the past three seasons. He hasn't started a regular-season game since 2010, and has been on the field for 44 snaps since 2011. Hill is 34, and is coming off foot surgery. So that's the only real question here. Does Hill still have his fastball? Are his skills intact?

If so, the Rams have themselves a fine No. 2.

Two sets of numbers for you:

1. Hill has a career 13-13 record as a starter. And as a starter he's completed 61.3 percent of his passes, with an average of 6.60 yards per attempt, 37 touchdowns, 22 interceptions and a passer rating of 84.3. For context, Rams' starting QB Sam Bradford has a career passer rating of 79.3. But it's also fair to say that Hill has worked with better receivers in his career: Vernon Davis, Isaac Bruce and Michael Crabtree in San Francisco; Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson in Detroit.

2. Hill's last busy season was 2010 in Dertroit when he started 10 games in place of the injured Matthew Stafford. And Hill scored very well that season in the advanced QB metrics presented by Pro Football Focus. He ranked fifth among NFL quarterbacks in adjusted passing accuracy (76.1 percent), 11th in deep-pass accuracy (40.4 percent), and was second to Tom Brady in passing accuracy under pressure. Hill had an adjusted accuracy rate of 70.1 under pressure in 2010; that's outstanding.

(Adjusted accuracy removes attempts that end in dropped passes, spikes, intentional throwaways, batted-down passes, and hit-while-throwing attempts for a truer gauge of a QB's “real” completion percentage.)

If the Rams have to call on Hill in 2014, they'll be happy if he can perform as calmly and as impressively as he did for the 2010 Lions. Detroit went 3-7 in Hill's starts that season, but that wasn't Hill's fault. The Lions averaged 23 points per game with Hill as the starter.

The only questions are Hill's health after the offseason surgery and his sharpness after such a long time between starts.

xxx

Earlier today I wrote this about the Rams' free-agent signing of defensive lineman Alex Carrington:

The Rams made a nice pickup in signing former Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Alex Carrington. If he's healthy, Carrington should be an effective member of the Rams' D-line rotation. Carrington generally played solidly in Buffalo, but Pro Football Focus rates him slightly below average against the run. (Nothing alarming, though.) But defensive line coach Mike Waufle has done a good job of making players better, and he'll be able to help Carrington. And the positive history of Rams' role players on the defensive front – William Hayes, Eugene Sims – bodes well for Carrington. Before suffering a torn quad early last season, Carrington averaged 422 snaps in the previous two seasons. That's in line with the number of snaps taken by Sims (396) and Hayes (354) last season...

Thanks for reading...

-Bernie

RamBill

Legend
Rams finally get their man in QB Hill
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/7071/rams-finally-get-their-man-in-qb-hill

Two years after they first pursued him, the St. Louis Rams finally landed veteran quarterback Shaun Hill on Wednesday as he agreed to terms on a one-year deal as first reported by ESPN Insider Adam Caplan.

Hill visited with the Rams more than a week ago and departed St. Louis without coming to terms on a contract as he apparently spent time considering a return to Detroit. He went through a similar decision-making process in 2012 when the Rams attempted to sign him away from the Lions before he ultimately re-signed in the Motor City.

This time, the allure of St. Louis was apparently too much for Hill to ignore. Hill keeps a home at the Lake of the Ozarks and is also close with Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti after they worked together in San Francisco.

In landing Hill, the Rams get the veteran backup for starter Sam Bradford they wanted. Hill replaces Kellen Clemens, who signed with San Diego early in free agency.

The 34-year old Hill originally entered the league as an undrafted free agent with Minnesota in 2002 but didn't get the chance to throw a pass in a regular season game until 2007 with the 49ers.

For his career, Hill has played in 34 games with 26 starts, throwing for 6,381 yards, 41 touchdowns and 23 interceptions while completing almost 62 percent of his passes for a passer rating of 85.9. Coincidentally, some of Hill's best games have come against the Rams. He's started four games against St. Louis, all victories, and posted a passer rating better than 100 in three of those contests.

While Hill doesn't come to St. Louis with the same knowledge of coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense that Clemens had, he does represent a clear upgrade in talent and demonstrated production throughout the course of his career. Considering his ties to Cignetti, Hill should be able to get up to speed quickly and offer a solid alternative behind Bradford.

And though Hill is likely to handle the No. 2 duties in 2014, this probably won't preclude the Rams from using one of their 12 picks in May's draft on a quarterback. The Rams have maintained throughout the offseason that they'd like to add a young quarterback capable of growing into a top backup role behind Bradford. Having Hill for a season would allow whoever that rookie is to come in and learn for a season before having to jump into action should something happen to Bradford.

Likewise, Hill provides early-season insurance in case something goes wrong with Bradford's recovery from ACL surgery.

Much like the team's Tuesday addition of defensive lineman Alex Carrington, Hill is a solid, logical addition who isn't going to break the bank. The Rams have remained patient in free agency and though the approach has kept them from filling some of their major holes, it's starting to pay off in the form of solid depth at positions of need.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Takes the signing from excellent to infuriating for me, what are they thinking? :mad::mad::mad:[/QUOTE

YEAH! We could of had Tebow for league minimum!!!!!! Damn!

1.75M is just fine to me for Hill. Probably about the same it would of taken to keep Clemens.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yes I hear that no point breaking the bank which is why we signed a decent journeyman when we can have a rookie we get this year be a cheaper backup to learn the ropes this year.

It is as far as his contract goes. They have already state they are wanting to set up something with him and his agent however they are holding off on it till after this season. If he has another injury plagued and bad year this might be a curtain call for him if he doesn't lower his dollar amount on contract with us. Especially if the rookie QB we draft this year looks promising!

True, this is certainly a money year for him.