Rams sign Punter Riley Dixon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm good with this. Allows them to not get stupid about taking a punter too early. Then if things align with the guy they really like they're in business or if not they're ok.

oldnotdead

Legend
Riley is a contingency signing. I think they will target a punter in the draft. Riley is a contingency if they can't get their target or whom ever is taken he will compete with. Riley is nothing special in any category. He may not be a scrub but he's not a pro bowl punter either.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Screenshot_20220405-145548.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Riley is a contingency signing. I think they will target a punter in the draft. Riley is a contingency if they can't get their target or whom ever is taken he will compete with. Riley is nothing special in any category. He may not be a scrub but he's not a pro bowl punter either.
I totally disagree, Dixon will be their guy for several reasons. Now I do believe they will bring in UDRFA, but I don't believe they will now draft a punter.

1. Dixon is an upper echelon holder all kickers he holds for are in the upper echelon even with teams that have bad offenses.
  2. Dixon is a former High School QB...Although he's only attempted 3 passes, like Hekker, he has that history.
  3. Dixon does an excellent job of punting inside the 10 yard line and although he didn't have as many last year, the Giants were always punting deep in their own territory.
  4. Riley Dixon was selected in the 7th round as a rookie when Joe DeCamillis was the special teams coach of the Denver Broncos, so there is a history.
Overall, IMHO, Dixon is not Plan B, he's plan A and now IMO, the Rams will not draft a punter.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I like that he can throw. But we haven't used that part of the game much in the last couple years. Fake punts are for teams that have nothing to lose, ie Jeff Fisher's Rams, or the Lions game against us last year. McVay doesn't like taking many chances.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Just as long as he can punt when needed. How well does he hold on extra points.Talk about costing people money. Thanks Johnny for being on the take.
2021 - 51
2020 - 68
2019 - 66
2018 - 43
2017 - 65

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Who is Riley Dixon? 3 fun facts about the LA Rams new punter​

The LA Rams released former long-time punter Johnny Hekker earlier in the off-season. Of course, that created a void in the roster, because there was no backup or developmental punter on the roster. Without Johnny Hekker, the Rams would need a punter tout suite. And the most obvious choice is the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft which is surprisingly loaded with punter talent.

But there is a huge risk involved with entering any NFL draft and looking to fill a roster need. The necessity of needing to do something in the midst of a 5-minute rush is not something to do willingly. The LA Rams have eight draft picks, but none are high enough in the selection process to bank on anyone being on the board by the time the Rams select.

And so, the Rams chose a wiser route by signing a punter before the draft arrives. He is Riley Dixon, and the team announced signing him to a one-year prove-it deal.

So who the heck is Riley Dixon, anyway? Well, he’s a six-year veteran punter who has played for the Denver Broncos and the New York Giants. He stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 221 pounds. While a punter, he has been used as an emergency kicker as well. While not suffering from blocked punts in 2021, he has had five punts blocked over his career. He was released in March 2022 by the Giants as a salary cap casualty.

Fun fact I: Riley Dixon’s production similar to Johnny Hekker

In many ways, his punting is similar to that of Johnny Hekker from the 2021 NFL season.

Category Hekker Dixon
Gross yds 44.2 44.4
Net yds 42.6 39.5
Inside 20 23 24
Touchbacks 1 6
FairCatch 25 15
P Returns 9 28
Rtn Yards 60 237
Avg Rtn 6.7 8.5

The Rams clearly needed to sign somebody who could punt the football in the NFL, and the recently released Riley Dixon is certainly somebody who can do that. In fact, per Lineups.com, Dixon helped the Giants punting unit to perform among the NFL’s Top 10 for 2022 in punting net average.

Fun Fact II: Riley Dixon has ties to LA Rams Special Teams

So what is the connection? Why did the LA Rams sign him? Well, it just so happens that Riley Dixon was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft with the 228th overall pick. The Special Teams Coordinator for the Denver Broncos at the time? None other than the LA Rams’ current ST Coordinator, Joe DeCamillis.

It’s encouraging to see his former ST coordinator wants to reunite with the Rams. For starters, it means that the player and coordinator have a good working relationship and that Dixon is at least someone that DeCamillis can envision punting for the team. The two are familiar with one another, which should minimize the risk of unpleasant surprises for the team in 2022.

Fun Fact III: Riley Dixon could still be a veteran segue?

While that is certainly promising, it’s by no means a sounding of the ‘all’s clear’ klaxon. In fact, there is really no wow in anything that Dixon put up in his NFL career so far. He’s played in all games, so he is durable. His performance over his career has not deviated very far from his average, so he is both consistent and dependable. He has a strong leg, as displayed in his longest punt statistic of 63 yards for a punt in 2021 and 71 yards for a punt in 2020.

But the role does not appear to be filled just yet. Not from this signing. I would not be surprised to find the Rams drafting a punter to compete for the starting role in training camp. Dixon is a solid performer whose upside is very likely already on display.

The Rams may seek to add one of the top punting talents in the Draft Class of 2022 to compete and offer more upside in the future for the starting punter role.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams may seek to add one of the top punting talents in the Draft Class of 2022 to compete and offer more upside in the future for the starting punter role.
That good stuff and maybe so, the only issue with Dixon IMO is the block punts, but again his holding skills are similar to Hekker's, which unless the Rams plan on asking the backup QB to hold will have to be factored in because two punters of this draft class Araiza & Stout are not holders because they were their respective place kickers too.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Probably camp competition, wouldn’t surprise me if we spend a 5th at best for Matt Araiza

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s the anti Hekker. He punted 2-3 times each quarter. Now he will punt 2-3 times a game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I totally disagree, Dixon will be their guy for several reasons. Now I do believe they will bring in UDRFA, but I don't believe they will now draft a punter.

1. Dixon is an upper echelon holder all kickers he holds for are in the upper echelon even with teams that have bad offenses.
  2. Dixon is a former High School QB...Although he's only attempted 3 passes, like Hekker, he has that history.
  3. Dixon does an excellent job of punting inside the 10 yard line and although he didn't have as many last year, the Giants were always punting deep in their own territory.
  4. Riley Dixon was selected in the 7th round as a rookie when Joe DeCamillis was the special teams coach of the Denver Broncos, so there is a history.
Overall, IMHO, Dixon is not Plan B, he's plan A and now IMO, the Rams will not draft a punter.
McVay isn’t planning on punting. They just need him to hold.