Rams sign LB Ramik wilson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
By the time the Rams are done drafting, hopefully this guy will be depth. So yeah, he should definitely be ready to compete on teams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wonder why Ramik doesn’t play on special teams?
Short Article from last October about Ramik:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/chiefs...5/could-the-chiefs-trade-lb-ramik-wilson/amp/

Like I posted earlier, he had a really nice last game of the season.Looks like he was benched on game day.
Bryce Hager plays special teams, but will see how this all plays out ? The Ram’s have
a lot of draft picks. My thinking is they will try to trade up.

This signing will allow The Rams to go offensive lineman early.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Well, there goes the money to sign Suh... <blue font>

Todd59

Rookie
I wonder if we release Barron to free up money for Suh, and Wilson takes over the WLB spot. We'd still have to find a run-stopping MLB somewhere obviously, but we'd save a little bit of cash.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Right Name, right college, right fit! Welcome Mr. Wilson.
MrWilson.jpg

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I wonder if we release Barron to free up money for Suh, and Wilson takes over the WLB spot. We'd still have to find a run-stopping MLB somewhere obviously, but we'd save a little bit of cash.

Okay, that's not happening. If Shu does not want to play for what the Rams are offering go get Hankins who I believe may be a better fit, in the long run.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Great first name. Probably should be good depth.

dang

Legend
Why does anyone think at this juncture we would release Barron. We would only save $5M and create another hole in our LB corp. I don't see us creating a hole to help fill a hole at this point. We would have save $7M if we traded or cut him earlier but that ship has sailed. The best release scenario would be Webster. If we released or traded we would save $3.5M and only have to pay $500K

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why does anyone think at this juncture we would release Barron. We would only save $5M and create another hole in our LB corp. I don't see us creating a hole to help fill a hole at this point. We would have save $7M if we traded or cut him earlier but that ship has sailed. The best release scenario would be Webster. If we released or traded we would save $3.5M and only have to pay $500K
Many questions surround Mark Barron who will be 29 yr old in October

* Will the Rams really start two NFL safety sized under 225 pound inside Lb'ers (Cory Littleton/ Mark Barron) in the middle of this weak run defense?
* Will our veteran weak- side inside LB'er call the defensive plays for Wade?
* Will Barron be fully recovered from shoulder surgery that took place earlier this year?
* Just how much NFL health does Barron have left in his under 225 lbs frame after being MIA in 2017 OTA's, Training Camp & all of Preseason due to a balky knee problem. He started the season very slow. Will Barron finally be able to participate in the early TC & Pre season process in the Wade defense?
* Barron issues did not stop with the knee.. ..he soon suffered a broken thump & wore cast for a month, injured his shoulder & finally developed a serious issue with his Achilles heel along with the inflammation for the last 2 to 3 games played in 2017 season.

Barron played behind Quinn & to the right of Ogletree in 2017. Both these LB'ers have been traded off. Barron will have two new ( Wade properly fitted 34 D) LB'ers playing next to him in 2018. Plus stands a great chance to have a legit Nose Tackle plugging up the middle.

I think that we can fairly evaluate Barron at the end of this season then.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@BonifayRam

I thought Barron was holding up well as an ILB???? Or so many were telling me.....LOL

I was looking at Wilson before his combine....and I was a lil depressed he ran a 4.6.....not bad, but not what I'd expect. I like this signing....I would suspect Hager to be cut this camp....Looking for McKinnzy, Thompson....or some udfa on the squad...plus a draftee or 2....to battle for remaining ILB spots...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@BonifayRam

I thought Barron was holding up well as an ILB???? Or so many were telling me.....LOL

I was looking at Wilson before his combine....and I was a lil depressed he ran a 4.6.....not bad, but not what I'd expect. I like this signing....I would suspect Hager to be cut this camp....Looking for McKinnzy, Thompson....or some udfa on the squad...plus a draftee or 2....to battle for remaining ILB spots...

You cut the 6-1 237 lbs Hager you lost the only LB'er who has any experience calling & getting the Wade Defense line up correctly. I would wait on that release until 2019 off season & until the Rams can verify they have a few ISLB'ers who can do what he can do first. Bryce Hager is the kind of player this Rams D will be begging to find need after they pay Aaron Donald, Marcus Peters, Gurley, Saffold, Havenstein, Joyner & Jared Goff. Hager earned around $600 K last season this season he will play for a little over $700K.

I am still not sold that when the Rams Org say they are looking at the 6-3 225 pound Cory Littleton to start that it will be on the inside. He just may get one of the outside post WS-ER post that Quinn worked at last season. Matt Longacre & Cory Littleton might be a effective duo on one side until one of these 2018 drafted ER catches up to the NFL speed.

I could see Ramik Wilson (mike) & Mark Barron (mo) being the opening initial season starters.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You cut the 6-1 237 lbs Hager you lost the only LB'er who has any experience calling & getting the Defense line up correctly.
Calling the defense is overrated....IMO....Hell, let Joyner call the defense....safeties can do this too.

Littleton outside?....Hmmmm....I thought Littleton didn't improve like you'd like for a potential starter...I wouldn't move him outside...I think he needs some sand in his pants. LOL

I hope we draft a couple LB's....in and out...we need it.

Scared for Longacre...one of my faves.....starts getting a little time....and he needs back surgery.....wouldn't think he'd last long with new coaching staff.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good Morning @LACHAMP46

I would say that the 26 yr old Matt Longacre just didn't just start in 2017 to 'getting a little time" playing football. He played four seasons @ Northwest Missouri State University Bearcats.Matt is the school’s career sacks leader to this day too. Matt has three Ram training camps & preseasons under his belt too along with being on the Rams active roster since 2015. Matt has played in 25 NFL games thus far. This is the first major injury to Matt in college & the NFL.

In college Cory Littleton played outside LB'er (2015/2014). Cory's first two college seasons he started @ outside DE. Cory rookie season in LA he played both outside LB'er positions. Cory had 2 starts in 2016, one @ the weak outside LB'er post & the other was @ the strong outside LB'er post.Cory was awarded & recipient of the Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award as the club’s top rookie. He won this award playing on the outside.

When you research Cory draft profiles you will find he was known for some big negatives on the weakness side of his game..One was his Play strength was well below NFL norm for the outside LB'er position.The other was a liability when teams run downhill at him:notsure:. Cory ended up UDFA in 2016.

In the positive side of Cory's game he has some good stuff...extra long arms very big hands, has some edge bend with flexible ankles, effective shoulder dip & a cat-quick spin move. His Sr. season Cory was credited with 35 pressures & six sacks on the season from the OLB'er strong side post. I liked the bottom line on Cory....Long-limbed, stand-up pass rusher who is built more like a wide receiver than a running back.

Wade was missing ILB'er Mark Barron in TC & Pre season. Early in 2017 Wade has a full cadre of OLB'ers with Barwin, Quinn, Longacre, Littleton, Ebukam & Price but not so much inside. So that's when we saw the first move of Cory from outside to inside to work the weak-side Barron post for Wade. How many times did we see Cory play the strong side interior Ogletree (MIKE) post? So it seems we see the sports writers listing Barron & Littleton as starters. Okay where does Barron start & where does Littleton start?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would say that the 26 yr old Matt Longacre just didn't just start in 2017 to 'getting a little time" playing football. He played four seasons @ Northwest Missouri State University Bearcats.Matt is the school’s career sacks leader to this day too. Matt has three Ram training camps & preseasons under his belt too along with being on the Rams active roster since 2015. Matt has played in 25 NFL games thus far. This is the first major injury to Matt in college & the NFL.
LOL....no no....He just started getting "starters" minutes with us....that's what I mean by a "lil time"....Like, almost 40-50 snaps a game....
I have loved the motor on Longacre for several years....I thought he'd start in 2017....then they grabbed what's his name? the other OLB??? Well....At least he did play...looked good too for the first month....I noticed a slow down around mid-season and then....IR'd.....with back trouble....no need to go over the concerns of a guy that needs leverage and has a bad back....Sounds like potential trouble....Kinda pissed too...cause again...this dude brings it, and I bet he'd have NO PROBLEM working out a team friendly deal......And for some reason....I bet HE WOULD play for free....
In college Cory Littleton played outside LB'er (2015/2014). Cory's first two college seasons he started @ outside DE. Cory rookie season in LA he played both outside LB'er positions. Cory had 2 starts in 2016, one @ the weak outside LB'er post & the other was @ the strong outside LB'er post.Cory was awarded & recipient of the Carroll Rosenbloom Memorial Award as the club’s top rookie. He won this award playing on the outside.

When you research Cory draft profiles you will find he was known for some big negatives on the weakness side of his game..One was his Play strength was well below NFL norm for the outside LB'er position.The other was a liability when teams run downhill at him:notsure:. Cory ended up UDFA in 2016.
I have watched several Pac-12 defenses closely.....esp. those Huskies....they have a bunch of raw talent up there....I don't doubt Cory can play.....I do doubt he could create pressure consistently off the edge....I do doubt he's a run stuffer....I do doubt he could call the defensive signals....Why both ILB's don't practice this confuses me?:dizzy:
Just watching his game....he's not as physical as you need for an ILB at this moment. I suspect taking on blocks will never be his strong suit.....And finally, I actually like several OLB's on the roster better than him as a OLB....hell, I'd move Samson inside just to see...but that's me. Whatever happened to Cassanova McKinzy???

What to do when you low cost replacement can't make up for the players lost????? Draft again...or sign the leftovers after the draft in FA'cy.....should be some good vets out there....for cheap...
Early in 2017 Wade has a full cadre of OLB'ers with Barwin, Quinn, Longacre, Littleton, Ebukam & Price but not so much inside.
First.....I think Price is gone after this camp.....that his name...I don't expect Connor Barwin back either...unless he gives us a huge discount...Longacre has that back thingy....and Littleton....isn't really a OLB....not the required length, explosion, and strength....and he's not a speed demon either....that leave Samson as the only OLB in your list without question marks.....I think we can draft backups to Samson.....pray Longacre returns healthy.....pray Thompson returns healthy and much, much better.

This problem actually I like....it fits what Wade has done in the past...this position is LOADED IN THE DRAFT (yep, bunch of guys that run 4.5 or better).....and I think Samson is gonna be ok....with some increase in strength....increase in knowledge of son of bum's system. Plus....Donald, Brockers, and Suh :yess:in front of you, I heard Den say he could play LB for us....:yay: