Rams should pursue Mekhi Becton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why is the much less expensive Ty Nsekhe no longer in the conversation ?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Has to be part of the beyond 2023 plans. Becton “could” be LT for next 5 years. Nyseke “could” fill in for 5 games.

I'm just not seeing the Rams organizational interest outside of a few fans clamoring for either Becton or Dalton Risner (mentioned in another thread). I believe the Rams have announced to their fans and the league thru their actions that current intentions appear geared towards reduced spending this year while increasing CAP availability for free agency in 2024.
The Rams will have a full compliment of draft picks again next season, including a likely first round pick that we haven't enjoyed since the Jeff Fisher era. The team will also have much deeper pockets after unloading millions in dead money this year.
Personally, I'd prefer to 'grin & bear it' now while preparing for all the excitement which the future holds forth. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I agree that Nsekhe did good enough to be on the roster again, but the Rams must think otherwise.

Nsehke wasn't signed until the middle of October last season, ... I won't be expecting any additions to our OL this pre-season unless things go terribly awry in camp or we are hit by injuries again. jmo.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Nsehke wasn't signed until the middle of October last season, ... I won't be expecting any additions to our OL this pre-season unless things go terribly awry in camp or we are hit by injuries again. jmo.
I wouldn't expect any additions either unless they make a cut or an injury happens as well. Nsekhe definitely played well enough to warrant being on this roster, but the Rams obviously have a different vision there. I'm guessing he's on speed dial tho just in case things do go awry.

Ram65

Legend
Becton seems like more of a long shot but, the Rams need to look at possibilities.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm just not seeing the Rams organizational interest outside of a few fans clamoring for either Becton or Dalton Risner (mentioned in another thread). I believe the Rams have announced to their fans and the league thru their actions that current intentions appear geared towards reduced spending this year while increasing CAP availability for free agency in 2024.
The Rams will have a full compliment of draft picks again next season, including a likely first round pick that we haven't enjoyed since the Jeff Fisher era. The team will also have much deeper pockets after unloading millions in dead money this year.
Personally, I'd prefer to 'grin & bear it' now while preparing for all the excitement which the future holds forth. jmo.
Is that it though? Maybe they've come to the conclusion, spending tons of money on a small number of stars, who may not all be willing to restructure when needed....me not we....is a losing battle. Or at least not enough of a winning one.....just 1 SB.......Go with youth, perhaps find some gems, develop key players on first year contracts. Maybe McVay turns out to be a coach who can win either way....you know......"he'll beat you with his team then take your team and beat you with them". Or maybe not.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't expect any additions either unless they make a cut or an injury happens as well. Nsekhe definitely played well enough to warrant being on this roster, but the Rams obviously have a different vision there. I'm guessing he's on speed dial tho just in case things do go awry.
I thought Nsekhe definitely played at least well enough to hold onto. In fact I thought he outperformed all of our other LTs last year, but admittedly I wasn’t looking all that closely. Apparently he’s cheap enough.

oldnotdead

Legend
most of us know Noteboom ain't working out
Know? The Ram FO would seem to disagree. Afterall they didn't draft a LT, they drafted a LG. People need to chill. The Rams have options with Jackson and Thomas. But they are obviously their fallback options.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He played 13 games as a rookie, giving up 7 sacks. Sorry but Noteboom has never given up 7 sacks. You need to quit believing PFF. Everyone assumes Becton has upsides but 3 years later we have yet to see it. Each of his knee injuries are separate and distinct. First it was a kneecap fracture which should only be a 4-8 week injury sustained in week one of 2021. He never made it back that season. A year later before the season began it was an avulsion fracture in again the same knee which again should have been a 8-12 week recovery time. But he lost the entire season.

Sound familiar? OBJ and his knee? Some people are simply susceptible to certain kinds of injuries. He needs to lose 20-30 lbs but he won't do it. IMO this is the reason the Jets aren't picking up his 5th year option. As long as he carries excess weight he's going to be prone to injury and he's already proven he is a slow healer.

Pass on him. People don't like Noteboom's injury history but want this guy? Why when they have Jackson if Noteboom can't play?
Noteboom gave up 5 sacks and 18 pressures in 5 games at that rate for 13 games that's over 12 sacks and r5 pressures which easily is the singleworst in the NFL.
BTW that was year 5 not his Rookie Season like Becton and Becton had a stone cold losers at QB and Boom had a Superbowl winning QB he had to protect which translate to way smarter IQ at QB which should limit the sacks instead this loser had the same stats in 5 games that Whit the year before at age 40 had in 16 games.

Complete shit take. Do the research before typing. Zero correlation between Boom year 5 and Becton as a rookie.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I think most of us are saying it's ok to kick the tires on this guy if the price is right. Doesn't mean it'll work out but most of us know Noteboom ain't working out.
Yes exactly. LT is one of the 2 hardest positions to fill with great talent. Clearly we have terrible talent at the position. I keep bringing up Corbett. Cleveland said he sucked he was unplayable and he was the first pick in the 2nd round. Really just flat out wrong.

At this point I would take a 24 year old and see what he has letting have a change of scenery and 50+ lbs lighter. Maybe he flames out but the 11th pick in the draft I highly doubt it.

Classic case of getting a massively undervalued player who may finally recovered from 2 injuries and could flourish.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Another contract year transformation. No surprise there. Can't help but to wonder what happens after he signs his next contract.
He could be "that" player who plays hard for the contract shades of Albert Hainesworth then doesn't care. I love Tunsil but he reminds me a little of that too. Won't know till it happens but interesting observation.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Look I get it and it's been said a ton by media and management, but my take is it's super hard to find a good to great LT and if we can grab a malcontent on one team and let him blossom on ours for a fraction of what a normal top tier LT would cost on the open market if one would ever become available (a super rarety like a Whit & T. Williams)you do it this year and bank the receipts for the future. Whit was supposedly past his prime and not worthy of a new decent size contract and the other Williams had injury concerns yet both blossomed again. Sometimes you roll the dice and take a chance.

Btw I hope all remember Saffold year 1 great bunch of years after always injured. Still productive until last year.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Know? The Ram FO would seem to disagree. Afterall they didn't draft a LT, they drafted a LG. People need to chill. The Rams have options with Jackson and Thomas. But they are obviously their fallback options.
Hate to tell you the FO is not always right. Brian Quick, Robinson and many more.

His lack of progress, constant injuries, horrific stats tells you all you need to know he sucks. Coaches and GMs make mistakes. We are arm chair GMs so sure you discount that because 90% of our takes are post review from the previous game or season etc. But at some point it should be obvious. To me everyone was calling for Evans to be benched same with Kendricks as examples McVau rode both McVay and Snead are not always right. Noteboom should be jettisoned period he can't hack it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Look I get it and it's been said a ton by media and management, but my take is it's super hard to find a good to great LT and if we can grab a malcontent on one team and let him blossom on ours for a fraction of what a normal top tier LT would cost on the open market if one would ever become available (a super rarety like a Whit & T. Williams)you do it this year and bank the receipts for the future. Whit was supposedly past his prime and not worthy of a new decent size contract and the other Williams had injury concerns yet both blossomed again. Sometimes you roll the dice and take a chance.

Btw I hope all remember Saffold year 1 great bunch of years after always injured. Still productive until last year.

Becton is no Whitworth imo.
Saffold was injured a few times when playing LT, he became a consistently solid LG once moved into the position.

My current wish for 2024 is a top rated QB with our 1'st round draft pick, ... and use our newly acquired 2024 CAP space to purchase the best available young LT AND the best available young Edge OLB to set our future up for the next 5 years. No draft picks lost to another team for a 2023 trade.

Patience Grasshopper ...

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yup I said know....guess I'm just confident in the belief that he ain't it based on what he's shown. The Rams don't always get it right with lineman and when to give up, we just literally witnessed that with Booby Evans. Don't get me wrong, I wish Noteboom was the answer, but he's a backup at best.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yes exactly. LT is one of the 2 hardest positions to fill with great talent. Clearly we have terrible talent at the position. I keep bringing up Corbett. Cleveland said he sucked he was unplayable and he was the first pick in the 2nd round. Really just flat out wrong.

At this point I would take a 24 year old and see what he has letting have a change of scenery and 50+ lbs lighter. Maybe he flames out but the 11th pick in the draft I highly doubt it.

Classic case of getting a massively undervalued player who may finally recovered from 2 injuries and could flourish.
Couldn't agree more.

Memphis Ram

Legend
He could be "that" player who plays hard for the contract shades of Albert Hainesworth then doesn't care. I love Tunsil but he reminds me a little of that too. Won't know till it happens but interesting observation.
What do you think the Rams should give up for such a player?
And do you think the Jets would accept the suggested compensation?

And do you immediately extend such a player for cap purposes to offset his $3,125,371 guaranteed base salary?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Noteboom gave up 5 sacks and 18 pressures in 5 games at that rate for 13 games that's over 12 sacks and r5 pressures which easily is the singleworst in the NFL.
BTW that was year 5 not his Rookie Season like Becton and Becton had a stone cold losers at QB and Boom had a Superbowl winning QB he had to protect which translate to way smarter IQ at QB which should limit the sacks instead this loser had the same stats in 5 games that Whit the year before at age 40 had in 16 games.

Complete shit take. Do the research before typing. Zero correlation between Boom year 5 and Becton as a rookie.
People need to stop paying attention to PFF and their lame assed stats....and quoting them as gospel! Rewatch the games and tell me how many sacks he really allowed (2) and how many 'pressures'. Better yet, I'll help......according to PFF, he allowed 3 sacks against Buffalo. One was legit (Miller). The 2nd was when Noteboom's guy (DE) and Edwards guy (DT) ran a stunt. Noteboom played it like he should have. Edwards didn't. Noteboom's guy beat Edwards but PFF gives it to Noteboom. The third? Noteboom stones his guy, Stafford scrambles because of good coverage and Noteboom's guy runs him down. He would have had to hold his guy to prevent it. Seriously, stop using PFF as a reliable source!!! Noteboom's PFF stats are the most quoted piece of misinformation on Ram forums. The problem arises when fans use those bogus numbers and other fans believe them. LAME.

Fact: Sacks allowed by Noteboom? 2
Pressures? Who cares. Tell me PFF's definition of "pressure"? Defender within 3 steps of QB when ball is released? Does that include swing passes when the OL hits the defender, then let's him go to block LBs and DBs on the perimeter? Like I said. PFF = lame. But y'all keep using their stats like the drunk uses the lamp post.

Last edited: