Rams seem to be stocked at CB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Not sure I buy the injury excuse. Seem to remember Peters himsef denying it multiple times in interviews.
McVay said he and Talib suffered ankle injuries during the post game interview. I can't find the interview video, but here's an article that references it:

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/23/nfl-los-angeles-rams-marcus-peters-injury-walking-boot/

As to why Peters wouldn't say he was injured, no excuses. He wasn't paying well, didn't want to admit that he was hurt because he didn't want to get targeted any more and he didn't want to blow the Rams cover because they didn't put him on the injury report even though they said he had an ankle injury. It has long been suspected by some that they were faking the funk on injury reports during the season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wish I had as much faith in the.... OLB's.
Really?

I think they're going to be really good and very deep.

I have long felt that the key to a good crew of OLBs in a 3-4 defense is depth.
There's so much running around done by these big guys that you need to rotate them to keep them fresh.

Dante Fowler, (signed for a reason)
Clay Matthews, (should be revitalized)
Okoronkwo, (I expect a breakout year)
Ebukam, (another breakout possibility)
Trevon Young, (solid rotational depth)
Justin Lawler, (solid rotational depth)
Morgan Fox, (if they need him).

They'll probably be better overall in the pass rush than sealing the edge in the run game.

Last edited:

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Really?

I think they're going to be really good and very deep.

I have long felt that the key to a good crew of OLBs in a 3-4 defense is depth.
There's so much running around done by these big guys that you need to rotate them to keep them fresh.

Dante Fowler, (signed for a reason)
Clay Matthews, (should be revitalized)
Okoronkwo, (I expect a breakout year)
Ebukam, (another breakout possibility)
Trevon Young, (solid rotational depth)
Justin Lawler, (solid rotational depth)
Morgan Fox, (if they need him).

They'll probably be better overall in the pass rush than sealing the edge in the run game.

I hope you're correct. They COULD be, but it depends on a lot of 'IF's'

If Clay Matthews still has some gas in the tank
If Okoronkwo (who's a big question mark) can play. With his injury, we haven't really seen anything from him.
If Micah Kiser can pickup coverage responsibilities. He can thump, but todays NFL takes more than that
Ebukam I think will be solid

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If Micah Kiser can pickup coverage responsibilities.
ILB is definitely my concern, but they'll hopefully be less dependent on the linebackers shedding blocks. In that light they may not need a thumper like Kiser who could be a special teams guy again.

Matthews is the one who I'm nervous about them wearing out. It would be crazy for them not to lean on the versatile veteran, but you really do have to wonder how much he has left considering how he plays. It'll be interesting.

I guess if they keep a situational bruiser for obvious rushing plays, the fan in me would like to see whomever is going to go out there and really lay the wood, and who knows, maybe Copeland will get a shot, who may serve some versatility as a tackle.

I don't expect much more than rotational depth from Okoronkwo this year anyway. It's a bummer that he was injured all last year.

For sure, Ebukam and Fowler are going to be solid and I see no reason for Littleton to regress.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Matthews is the one who I'm nervous about them wearing out. It would be crazy for them not to lean on the versatile veteran, but you really do have to wonder how much he has left considering how he plays. It'll be interesting.

I agree, which is why I think Matthews will play a lot of edge. Most of his snaps will be there for reason of trying to keep him healthy, vs having him in there getting pounded. Which is where Kiser playing well can really help us. Third and long doesn't really matter where he is, but the obvious run downs they need to keep him on the edge.

I also think he's our best pass rusher by a good margin, which isn't a popular sentiment. And that will allow for him and Fowler to settle in as our primary edge threats early on. It will surprise me if he's not right around that 10 sack range.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
David Long can play. Won't be surprised if he sees the field sooner than later. He's a nuisance when pressing.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well the reason I mention it 65 is because a lot of folks put it out there like it's a fact. But the Rams have never said he was injured, nor has he, at least to my knowledge and old and fading mind.

He may have been knicked up like all players get as we all know. But beyond that? Not sure I'm buying that particular argument.

Good thing here is he's in his contract season. So I think he's gonna be more ready with a more complete knowledge of the scheme (which is where I think his prob was) and hopefully full effort snap to snap. And if not, well, here's hoping they see enough from Long to phase his @$$ out this season before he walks in FA.
Peter was certainly injured in the same game as Talib and was expected to miss a game or two. He came back anyway and was less effective. We are in no position to really know how the injury affected him over the course of the season after that. It's clear that, without Talib, the secondary lacked leadership and coordination, gave up big plays, and totally blew more than a few coverages. Hard to say who at fault in many of those situations but if the D isn't all on the same page against the passing game there are going to be bad results.

I thought Peter played very well with Talib back and in the playoffs. Let's see how he does this year with a veteran safety calling coverage adjustments when needed.

oldnotdead

Legend
Watch the plays, and you will see how many times Peters intentionally broke coverage to hunt for a splash play. Experienced QB's learned they could bait him to drop coverage which is what Brees loved to do. IMO the only reason he didn't get released is because of his contract. But that money can be better spent next year.

The real question next year is whether or not they bring Talib back for one last season while they draft for the position. Also their might be some very good FA's available next year. I believe Roby and Darby might hit the market. Roby might be had via trade considering he's in the AFC. He knows Wade's defense. Because of Peters they have to play far more zone than Wade likes. Which is why I simply don't see him getting extended. Both Darby and Roby are good man coverage boundary CBs.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Watch the plays, and you will see how many times Peters intentionally broke coverage to hunt for a splash play. Experienced QB's learned they could bait him to drop coverage which is what Brees loved to do. IMO the only reason he didn't get released is because of his contract. But that money can be better spent next year.

The real question next year is whether or not they bring Talib back for one last season while they draft for the position. Also their might be some very good FA's available next year. I believe Roby and Darby might hit the market. Roby might be had via trade considering he's in the AFC. He knows Wade's defense. Because of Peters they have to play far more zone than Wade likes. Which is why I simply don't see him getting extended. Both Darby and Roby are good man coverage boundary CBs.

Fair comment, but we still don't know what he may been expecting from Joyner as backup in specific situations. Still want to see how Peters plays in what I expect will be a much more disciplined and organized secondary this year. Not prepared to write him off just yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are in no position to really know how the injury affected him over the course of the season after that.

Agreed on us not knowing. Difference here is that I'm not interested in making an excuse of it when he and the team denied the injury causing him a difference in performance.

Periodically I see that line of conversation re: Peters, where fans mention his injury and how it lingered like it's a fact, and it always makes me feel like I have to point that out. I have a lot of concerns with him and how that season went. Just hope at this point that he has a strong 2019 so we can collect a nice compensation pick when some other team signs him away.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
David Long can play. Won't be surprised if he sees the field sooner than later. He's a nuisance when pressing.

IF he shows well Peters is going to feel it in the form of competition, too, as a strong press game is preferred. Would be unthinkable for those who love Peters, but I think his job security is related to how well the rook shows in camp.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that the secondary will be a team strength this year.

Hell, it might even be near-elite if they can stay healthy. Lot of football smarts among those 5 guys (aside from Peters, that is).

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If Micah Kiser can pickup coverage responsibilities. He can thump, but todays NFL takes more than that.
Remember, he'll only be in so called, "run downs" so yeah, that will be interesting to see how the other teams work him over.

oldnotdead

Legend
Peters will be forced to play in a disciplined manner if he expects to stay beyond this year. He hasn't played that way since his first two seasons. I'd rather see them go after someone like Roby or Darby and if they can't get either than draft one in the first or second round. They already have Long to play one side. They need a bookend on the other. Both Darby and Roby are in their 20's so they are worthy of a full 4 year deal.

Dont'e Deayon is way too small to play anything except as a slot CB and even then he's a poor matchup. Also his frame is too small to carry the musculature and weight it brings that he will need in the NFL. Two inches taller and he would have been drafted by someone. I'm sure the Rams brought him in to look at behind Roby-Coleman. Yes Roby-Coleman is even shorter, but he's also 180 lbs and even Dont'e admits he's probably maxed in the 160's. If he is lights out in camp he has a shot as a slot CB backup because realistically that's the only option for him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Peters will be forced to play in a disciplined manner if he expects to stay beyond this year. He hasn't played that way since his first two seasons. I'd rather see them go after someone like Roby or Darby and if they can't get either than draft one in the first or second round. They already have Long to play one side. They need a bookend on the other. Both Darby and Roby are in their 20's so they are worthy of a full 4 year deal.

Dont'e Deayon is way too small to play anything except as a slot CB and even then he's a poor matchup. Also his frame is too small to carry the musculature and weight it brings that he will need in the NFL. Two inches taller and he would have been drafted by someone. I'm sure the Rams brought him in to look at behind Roby-Coleman. Yes Roby-Coleman is even shorter, but he's also 180 lbs and even Dont'e admits he's probably maxed in the 160's. If he is lights out in camp he has a shot as a slot CB backup because realistically that's the only option for him.

I concur with your Peters assessment, oldnotdead.

His Ram future will be determined by how well he fits within his assigned duties this season. Reckless freelancing will result in Peters wearing another uniform next year. OTOH, if he shines? Wade loves him and he would get a nice extension.

I don’t have a horse in this race, so I’m content to just let this sort itself out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-rankin...jaff&cjevent=b28e3122ad7311e982cc025e0a1c0e14

Ranking all 32 secondaries ahead of the 2019 NFL season

Of all the positional unit rankings that we’ve put out in recent weeks on PFF.com, this is probably the one you want to be the highest on (not counting QBs). Having a good secondary we’ve found correlates more so than anything else to having a good defense in the NFL today. The passing game is king, and these are the teams best equipped to shut that down.

CB-1-1024x576.png

7. Los Angeles Rams

CB Aqib Talib
CB Marcus Peters
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
S Eric Weddle
S John Johnson III

There are two words that should give Rams fans everywhere reason to be optimistic: contract year. Marcus Peters was lit up for the majority of last season, giving up over 100 yards on four separate occasions. He’ll have to get back to his Kansas City form to earn a big-money second contract.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...review-depth-chart-jamil-demby-offensive-line

Pro Football Focus ranks Los Angeles Rams’ secondary No. 7 in NFL

For a unit that didn’t have the kind of season it expected in 2018, landing inside the top-10 is a nice accomplishment.

By Sosa Kremenjas@QBsMVP Jul 23, 2019, 10:56am CDT

1093451082.jpg.0.jpg

With training camp beginning for a majority of NFL teams, the team over at Pro Football Focus has taken a stab at ranking every secondary in the league.

With the passing game as important as it’s ever been in the NFL, the Los Angeles Rams seeked to improve their secondary tenfold prior to the 2018 season. The plan included trades for star cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, re-signing nickel cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman, as well as a franchise tag for safety Lamarcus Joyner. Fast forward one offseason — and after a season in which the secondary didn’t play as well as they’d hoped (injuries included) — and the Rams once again made an investment in their secondary: the signing of veteran safety Eric Weddle in free agency.

The secondary is now as complete as any unit in the league, and I’d be remiss not to mention arguably the best player in the unit: SS John Johnson III. Johnson has improved vastly thus far in every year of his short career, ultimately transforming into one of the best safeties in the league and one of the true playmakers on the defensive side of the ball for the Rams.

Taking all the additions into effect — as well as the potential for better (and healthier) seasons from the star-studded duo outside of the hashes at cornerback, the PFF team has ranked the Rams’ secondary as the seventh-best unit in the league.

Here’s the blurb:

7. Los Angeles Rams

CB Aqib Talib
CB Marcus Peters
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
S Eric Weddle
S John Johnson III

There are two words that should give Rams fans everywhere reason to be optimistic: contract year. Marcus Peters was lit up for the majority of last season, giving up over 100 yards on four separate occasions. He’ll have to get back to his Kansas City form to earn a big-money second contract.

The extenuating factor is that Peters — and Talib — will be playing in contract years, with the two coming in at opposite ends of the spectrum. Peters will be looking to secure his first massive payday in the NFL, whereas Talib will look to potentially finish his career with a strong outing and another deep playoff run.

The talent will surely not be an issue when it comes to the Rams’ secondary in 2019. The key to performance will be determined by their ability to gel, as well as their ability to remain healthy as a unit.

oldnotdead

Legend
David Long was drafted to take one of those positions.

Talib's age and injury history are a huge concern IMO. Peter's undisciplined play is his concern because there is no guarantee he won't return to his freelancing once he gets an extension.

I really think both are gone next year. I see Long taking over Talib's side and the Ram's making a play for a FA to take the other side even if that FA is a place holder while they draft a CB next year to replace him.

At worst I see them offering Talib a one year deal to give them time to develop a drafted player, hoping Aqib can hold up long enough.

Kevin Peterson might displace Troy Hill as a backup CB. But I don't see Peterson as a potential starter here. He's got just enough athleticism to make it as a backup. He would have to play lights out for them to look at him as a starter. But Troy Hill has regressed and most certainly not progressed considering he was a 3rd year player last year.

People questioned my thoughts about Nick Scott as a CB but he has very good speed running an average of 4.45 with a low of 4.38 in the 40. So at 5'11" and 31" arms he has good speed and length to play boundary CB. But what goes un-noted is that he played CB and even slot CB at Penn State. His final position was at FS but it's not like he doesn't have experience at CB. It would be a waste not to coach him up as a CB this year. It will give them options next year with Talib and Peters in contract years now.

If he could play CB it would give them man cover CB's on both sides which is exactly what Wade prefers while giving the team depth at a position of need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...slot-god-new-orleans-saints-pass-interference
2019 Los Angeles Rams roster preview:
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman continues reign as the Slot God

He’s proof that a Nickelback isn’t always a bad thing.

By kristianramirez@kristianramirez Jul 29, 2019, 3:00pm CDT
usa_today_12031082.0.jpg
Matthew
Los Angeles Rams CB Nickell Robey-Coleman.

That name is now synonymous with a missed call that caused a rule change to the entire sport.

I’m not here to rehash any of that, we’re all over it. Well, most of us.

Beyond that single play, NRC continued to show why he’s one of the best slot corners in the league. Playing 16 games at the slot/nickel corner spot, he racked up 37 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss, and an interception in the game against the Chicago Bears. The Rams showed confidence in him with a three-year extension last offseason.

I think they are getting their money’s worth.

Roster Battle
Playing at slot for most of his snaps, he’s not in competition with the other two starting CBs on the team: CB Aqib Talib and CB Marcus Peters. These aren’t the only corners on the Rams offense right now, but I’ll echo my thoughts from last year: to say there there’s anything resembling competition for his slot corner spot is a lie.

Expectations
I believe NRC will continue to show just how special he is. His Twitter handle is @SlotGod23, and he indeed is.

Chances of making the final roster (10/10)
I don’t think there’s any chance in this reality that he doesn’t end up on the final 53-man roster. He’s proven his mettle to the coaching staff.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wade is a smart DC. He knows that a strong defensive backfield is a must in a league that likes to throw the ball. He had an even better defensive back group in Denver, when they won the Superbowl in 2016. I'd take Chris Johnson over Peters, and Talib is a bit older now.

Do you mean the Denver DB Chris Harris?