Rams release chris long jared cook and jl55

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's some big locker room presence they just cut from the defense there. Do they have the leaders to replace those guys? I know that the stats say they were declining, but who becomes the voice of the D now? Quinn I guess?

I think when we bring back Will Hayes, he'll be one of the leaders. Would also expect Mark Barron and T.J. McDonald to lead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bill Smith ‏@wgsmit3
James Laurinaitis played 99.7 percent of all defensive snaps in his career for the Rams (7,498 of 7,519). Only missed 21 snaps in 7 seasons

Hats off to JL. The man was a warrior.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
JL looked bad in 2015. Looked like he lost all his speed. IMO, we could move forward with Ogletree at MLB and Barron at WLB. Or we could look to replace JL.

Was JL the leader on D? Not talking emotionally (though he may have been that also) but tactically, was he organizing formation and such (this was something Fletcher did that took soooo long to properly replace)? Who steps into that role on this team or do they need to find someone to do it? It isn't about physical capability but mental...can Ogletree do it or someone else on the team (doesn't have to be MLB or LB but seems like it usually is)?

Just curious, I agree with others that JL had lost much and that in general moving on is likely right move (and I assume they may try to resign)...it is just one of those intangibles that is very difficult to replace or measure.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I'M TOTALLY SHOCKED, AND STUNNED OVER THIS!! Ok, I can see Cook!! And I can understand Chris, although I would have prefer them to restructure his contract so he could retire a Ram!
But "JL" our middle Line Backer!! We have NO One to take his Place!!
Back to Chris Long, I'm Very, Very saddened by this Loss!! He was my favorite current Ram!!

Sorry but it was time for JL55 to go. He was a huge cap hit and I honestly don't think he's a starting caliber MLB in the NFL anymore. He was never an athletic specimen but he doesn't have the athleticism he used to. He was practically useless in the run game as he couldn't take on blockers to save his life. It's sad to see him go but it was time.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was JL the leader on D? Not talking emotionally (though he may have been that also) but tactically, was he organizing formation and such (this was something Fletcher did that took soooo long to properly replace)? Who steps into that role on this team or do they need to find someone to do it? It isn't about physical capability but mental...can Ogletree do it or someone else on the team (doesn't have to be MLB or LB but seems like it usually is)?

Just curious, I agree with others that JL had lost much and that in general moving on is likely right move (and I assume they may try to resign)...it is just one of those intangibles that is very difficult to replace or measure.

I think TJ McDonald will handle that going forward.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Best wishes to Chris and James. Chris is one of the coolest dudes I've ever met and James and his wife Shelly are a joy. Going to miss them very much.:(

bluecoconuts

Legend
Huge bummer, we have a big hole in our locker room now. I wish we can take them back at a discounted price, but being realistic I don't think it happens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm okay with it. Might be freeing up money for a free agent splash. And those guys weren't irreplaceable. MLB will be the hardest to fill, but not impossible by any stretch. Plus, for all we know, Hager or Bates could be ready to roll.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Agreed, I would not be surprised if one of them was brought back on a cheaper deal. But of course all three can find a job in some capacity on another team.
Long, if healthy, probably has the most left to offer at this point.
Agreed. I love me some JL55, and Chris Long. We lost a lot of class, leadership, and great locker room guys. I do understand all of the cuts.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Bill Smith ‏@wgsmit3
James Laurinaitis played 99.7 percent of all defensive snaps in his career for the Rams (7,498 of 7,519). Only missed 21 snaps in 7 seasons
Then we have guys like Saffold who remain under contract....

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Hats off to JL. The man was a warrior.

A warrior you say...

302473625_b0df46cbbd.jpg

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Major kudos to Demoff, Snead, and Fisher...

This just screams that the Rams are serious about putting a winning product on the field in LA. And I mean THIS year!

We all pretty much saw the Long and Cook releases coming and for obvious reasons.

J Lau is a bit more of a surprise. But when I think about it, I can only conclude that they are no longer willing to "settle" at the MLB position. That encourages me a great deal.

This also shouts out two things...

Henceforth, players are on notice that they must produce to continue earning their bigger salaries. Even much loved and respected players like Long and J Lau. Or else...

The other thing is that these cuts serve notice that the Rams are gonna be major players in resigning their own FA's that they really like, AND will be likely players actively pursuing outside FA's . Possibly QB, WR, TE, LB, or C.

Don't know about y'all, but I'm elated. No more baby steps.

The LA move has clearly put tremendous pressure on the FO to win now. And these 3 moves are just the first dividends.

Gonna be a bunch of new faces in our opening day lineup, huh?

Hot Damn!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Barron or McDonald can. But then again, I don't know who the headiest guys on our defense are. I just know that I heard good things about the football IQs of both those guys when they were prospects.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I seriously hope we're going to resign Laurinaitis.