Rams re-sign Whitworth for three more years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
The key to the OL likely comes down to Havenstein returning to his 2018 now.
LT, RT and RG locked down with Edwards.....that RT spot returning to a plus would be huge.

If he gets back to that, or even close to it, that is a hell of a good contract lol

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO this says two things to me. That they want to buy Noteboom another year to recoup from his injury. It also says to me that Noteboom is the projected eventual starter.

What I don't like is they over paid for Whit. The good thing is that it sounds like basically a one year deal with 2 option years. But it's a lot of money to pay an obviously declining player.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don't like this deal at alllllllllll. I'm sure it's structured to be a team friendly deal. But 10 mil for a player that might last half the season? Let's not forget he had the most help out of any LT in the league last year and he did not play as well as 18'. What makes you think two years later and two years older he's going to return to form???? ugh. This is the one signing I do not like.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’m conflicted over the Whit extension, tbh.
I have been too. At first, I was hoping that we moved on. As time went on & the further I studied the LT market it became obvious there was very little positive options out there. In the conclusion as I see it there are so many more positives for having AW here than not. Cost $$$ was the biggest negative & would cause most moves to be highly conservative safe transactions & will result in weaknesses in other units.

I love the guy but he’s not getting any younger and there were signs of decline in his play last year. And $10M is a helluva big chunk of available cap space, for sure.

Most of his diminished skill performances came in his run blocking not so much in his pass blocking. Goff mandates that pass blocking protection in the worse way or this McVay's offense goes into the septic tank from the first snap. Goff is the reason the Rams were forced into this direction.

I’m a big Boom fan and feel that he’s our future starting LOT. But even I realize that it’s not yet certain exactly when Boom will be 100%.

Noteboom situation also help forced this Whitworth's new contract. Noteboom's 2019 season was deplorably bad. I know of no positives above his 2019 performance. His serious injury event poured more negativity onto his already unpeasant-smelling 2019 season resume.

Noteboom now must resurrect & rebuild the Rams' confidence in him to this team. Currently, Noteboom's value to this teams OL with the new Whitworth contract has fallen off the shelf.

When Noteboom returns to full health his hard work will continue to be difficult. I would bet that Noteboom will NOT be considered as a OG reserve by Kromer period, so he will battle a healthy late 2019 season starter OT Bobby Evans, a veteran very experienced former starting OT Rob Havenstein & a very surprising effective reserve swing OT/OG UDFA Chandler Brewer for a position on this 2020 OL unit.

If Noteboom does fight thru all this adversity & comes out on the positive side then & Havenstein has not put in the needed time to get in great condition & work on his pass protection skills ......Havenstein will end up trade fodder during the draft to a more prevalent running offense with a mobile QB.

Last edited:

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't impressed by big Whit last year , and I doubt he gets better . Great guy and teammate, but age has caught up with him .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One serious Insurance Policy for the present & future status @ the all important blind side OLT post. I would imagine that Whitworth's 2020 & 2021 Goals & Objectives....#1- Fully prepare & groom OT Joseph Noteboom to stand out & excel as the Rams long term starting LT.

P.S. If the Rams are on the fence on utilizing veteran OT Havenstein as "2020 Draft day trade/ ammo fodder" ....the signing of the experienced veteran OT Whitworth becomes that much more vital to this Ram OL! Gives Snead an option if he needs it.

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
The three years doesn't matter. It's almost certainly for accounting purposes to spread money around.

when I heard about the signing the reporter made a comment about him being 38 when the contract was up, I didn’t think anybody was dumb enough to think he would get to the last year of that deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

TexasRam

Legend
While he’s declining this was still our best option in the offseason.

Rewatching the Rams vs Niners and Tampa game it’s clear he was still a solid lineman last year. He’s lost some quickness and mobility but still is a great technician.

I hope he doesn’t drop off even more this year and can cut down on the penalties. Can’t ask for a better guy to coach up our young lineman like Noteboom, Edwards and Evans.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
While he’s declining this was still our best option in the offseason.

Rewatching the Rams vs Niners and Tampa game it’s clear he was still a solid lineman last year. He’s lost some quickness and mobility but still is a great technician.

I hope he doesn’t drop off even more this year and can cut down on the penalties. Can’t ask for a better guy to coach up our young lineman like Noteboom, Edwards and Evans.
Probably still the best 0-lineman we either have or are likely to get at least for this year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whitworth: "There was no other place I wanted to be than here"

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – At 38 years old, offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth joked he can probably relate more to the coaching staff than some of the players in the Rams locker room given the age discrepancy.

That experience, however, is still valuable. In returning to the team by way of a three-year-deal, he'll be able to continue to mentor the offensive linemen and other young players in the organization as he often did the last three years both on and off the field.

"I mean, amazing (to be back)," Whitworth said on a video conference call with local media Thursday. "That was the goal all along – if I wanted to return and play, I wanted to stay here and play. Once I decided for sure and got the OK from family and everybody else that we were going to play football again, there was no other place I wanted to be than here."

Even before the deal became official, Whitworth still maintained that role both inside and outside the locker room.

Two weeks ago, he and Rams quarterback Jared Goff partnered with the L.A. Regional Food Bank to finance 2 million meals for the Los Angeles community by making $250,000 donations each. Whitworth said he and his wife, Melissa, are in the process of seeking more ways to help.

While he makes a point to give teammates their space during the offseason given the amount of time they spend together in-season, he's still checking in on them periodically to see how they're doing.

"There's certain guys that I've always had a certain relationship with that I talk to a lot, Goff being one of them because he's close with the family," Whitworth said. "There's always something to come up with a 20-something-year-old quarterback that he wants to talk about."

Similar to how he's approached previous seasons, Whitworth will continue to take things year-by-year entering his 15th overall and fourth with the Rams. He said he will continue to play "as long as there's always a desire to play and always a desire to train."

A big piece to that self-evaluation for any veteran in that position is seeing how they handle the rigors associated with training for an upcoming NFL season, offseason workouts and training camp, according to Whitworth. While that preparation looks different than past offseasons due to NFL teams closing their facilities in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency, Whitworth has adapted by converting his garage into a temporary home gym which "basically looks like the Rams' facility."

"Once you get to football season if you're a veteran and you're a healthy guy who stays healthy, you have the ability to adjust," Whitworth said.

Asked whether he feels any sense of responsibility to groom whoever succeeds him – regardless of how long he continues playing – Whitworth said it's more about mentoring the offensive line group as a whole than just the left tackle position alone.

"To me, that's something I think my entire career has been built around – really trying to support guys, be there for guys and make a difference in my room, and hopefully help those guys have great careers," Whitworth said.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I’m conflicted over the Whit extension, tbh.

I love the guy but he’s not getting any younger and there were signs of decline in his play last year. And $10M is a helluva big chunk of available cap space, for sure.

I’m a big Boom fan and feel that he’s our future starting LOT. But even I realize that it’s not yet certain exactly when Boom will be 100%.

So at the very least Big Whit represents a quality insurance policy at the all important LOT position. I guess that’s worth the $10M. Kinda...

That’s fucking Demoff for you !!

Basically Demoff is weird & overpays players. Like I posted Kevin Demoff, this is what I was talking about.

Thinks like an agent Which his dad was. Still like Whit signing.I also agree that Noteboom is far from being ready for 2020. 4 months ago he said he had to learn to just walk again.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s fucking Demoff for you !!

Basically Demoff is weird & overpays players. Like I posted Kevin Demoff, this is what I was talking about.

Thinks like an agent Which his dad was. Still like Whit signing.I also agree that Noteboom is far from being ready for 2020. 4 months ago he said he had to learn to just walk again.

the cap hit for whitworth is $6.7m this season. that's a bargain for a good vet LT.

of course if they cut him after this season the dead cap will be $6m. but the cap should be much bigger by then. even then they can classify it as a post june cut and bring it down to $3m next season if they want to if he's cut.

for where the rams are now it was a great deal. they couldn't have done it any better. i have no idea what you're talking about.

the only bad contracts were the tavon one, where they should have known he wasn't serious about becoming a great wr, and the franchising of tru.

as soon as they did that they were screwed. tru was nowhere near worth what the tag amount was and even less so the second time they tagged him. proof in the pudding was tru signing the tag literally the second they drew the papers up. he knew he was on a good thing. anything else he made after that was gravy and then the jets laughingly paid him $16m a year, to play like a bum. he should kiss the feet of the rams brass, they made him so much unwarranted money.