Rams re-sign Whitworth for three more years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
the cap hit for whitworth is $6.7m this season. that's a bargain for a good vet LT.

of course if they cut him after this season the dead cap will be $6m. but the cap should be much bigger by then. even then they can classify it as a post june cut and bring it down to $3m next season if they want to if he's cut.

for where the rams are now it was a great deal. they couldn't have done it any better. i have no idea what you're talking about.

the only bad contracts were the tavon one, where they should have known he wasn't serious about becoming a great wr, and the franchising of tru.

as soon as they did that they were screwed. tru was nowhere near worth what the tag amount was and even less so the second time they tagged him. proof in the pudding was tru signing the tag literally the second they drew the papers up. he knew he was on a good thing. anything else he made after that was gravy and then the jets laughingly paid him $16m a year, to play like a bum. he should kiss the feet of the rams brass, they made him so much unwarranted money.

Yeah, I’ve always felt Demoff was among the best at cap management.

He has done a great job stacking/overlapping the decisions with contracts, and always seems to have wiggle room, somewhere.

Some of the deals might have been too rich, but it’s easy to second guess.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One serious Insurance Policy for the present & future status @ the all important blind side OLT post. I would imagine that Whitworth's 2020 & 2021 Goals & Objectives....#1- Fully prepare & groom OT Joseph Noteboom to stand out & excel as the Rams long term starting LT.

P.S. If the Rams are on the fence on utilizing veteran OT Havenstein as "2020 Draft day trade/ ammo fodder" ....the signing of the experienced veteran OT Whitworth becomes that much more vital to this Ram OL! Gives Snead an option if he needs it.

Glad you came to realization. I don’t understand getting rid of Big Rob though. You talked about him being the only veteran & what he means to The Rams line.
I also don’t understand the think of drafting a Center. The depth of positions in 2020 draft only helps The Rams find value for playmakers.
The signing of Austin Blythe brings 3 4 year starters all with MCSNEAD who actually have played in a Super Bowl.
Then you think about Austin Corbett who came in Mid season for only a 2020 5th. A bunch of people talked about him being the 2020 Center, until he actually settled in Nicely next to Blythe & Whitworth.
I believe The Rams have a lot more depth with Evans. & Brewer.The young centers also will bring good completion for future 2021.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, I’ve always felt Demoff was among the best at cap management.

He has done a great job stacking/overlapping the decisions with contracts, and always seems to have wiggle room, somewhere.

Some of the deals might have been too rich, but it’s easy to second guess.

I’ve second guest, but Weddle,Clay, & Suh were fun 1 year Rams. This offseason The Rams found nice cap space to build the D”Front.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s fucking Demoff for you !!

Basically Demoff is weird & overpays players. Like I posted Kevin Demoff, this is what I was talking about.

Thinks like an agent Which his dad was. Still like Whit signing.I also agree that Noteboom is far from being ready for 2020. 4 months ago he said he had to learn to just walk again.
Sorry bout you're so far off base here you'd be tagged out in the Dodger game from San Diego. This is a very good value and is only a 2 year deal. This was a great signing.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Looked at the Spotrac and Over the Cap sites for the details of Whitworth’s deal. As kurtfaulk mentioned above, the terms are team-friendly.

$6.7M cap hit in 2020, and $12.1M in 2021. Should the Rams move on after this year, half of the $12M would be cap relief and half would be dead-$.

$6M of dead-$ in 2021 could be the cost of having a competent LT in 2020.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ref. Andrew Whitworth......one thing that's been commented on by many of our members here was on the thought that AW would be a outstanding future OL coach. I can easily see where the resigning of this aging and declining former all pro OL'er can morph into where AW is assisting more & more. The Rams would surely have one of the most inexperienced starting OL's in the NFL if you removed AW from the equation. Thus, AW would fit in nicely in plans with all these young components of this current Ram OL.

IMO AW's contract for this season for $7 million is not an unreasonable deal for both parties but I see Rams Org looking forward to future after this season in capitalizing more & more from AW 's wealth of knowledge of NFL OL mechanics to assist Kromer & Dickerson. AW may not be a big plus starting @ LT, however his value when NOT on the field game day is significant in the areas not seen by us. It appears AW will be our starting LT. How long AW is able to continue to perform & not be a hindrance to Jared Goff's health during the game is an unknown & yet to be determined. That's is the negative!

The previous, now trashed planned 2020 season starter @ LT post Joseph Noteboom, is sure to be eased back into the active master roster PUP designation by the mid season bye. IF by that period of time AW is still performing his duties adequately. Noteboom would return to his 2018 OL position based on Snead not having a procured talented 2020 drafted LT for the future (as I would bet the Rams will have done).

Noteboom then would move to the right side reserve OT, likely to begin to strongly challenge for that starting RT post. No ideal which OT will be starting there Rob Havenstein (if he has not been traded) or 2nd season Bobby Evans. Snead/Kromer might be experiencing a OT glut by mid season. Not that it would be a bad thing. (y):giggle:

If AW is struggling by mid season Noteboom can then replace AW as starter. I see AW being a game day reserve for both starting OT's & continue to be there with them on the sidelines to provide guidance if needed & when either starting OT are off the field of play for a period of time AW is an instant plugin. It should be noted that AW has started games in his past @ OG too. So there would be a positive benefit having a AW on the sideline as a ready play in @ four OL posts over the later half of the season.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry bout you're so far off base here you'd be tagged out in the Dodger game from San Diego. This is a very good value and is only a 2 year deal. This was a great signing.

It’s the 7777 that he does was more of my point.Whitworth I knew was going to be resigned in December. The 3 years was a great signing, agree. I think Whitworth was playing at such a high level the last few games. He had a couple tough holding calls. His last one of the season he was pissed. He was still calling the Ref out.
So maybe I was tagged out, but that from being in a different league.I’m an Old LA Rams fan that stayed with them to Anaheim & St. Louis.
Like the article on him being more of a coach & a mentor. He has brought so much to The Rams organization. Like I keep saying about remembering Jackie Slater. Every season he kept coming back. The Rams draft a LT to take his place in Wayne Gandy.