Rams QB Goff on McVay's criticism: "He's absolutely right"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know if Jared can change.
A lot of his mistakes happen when everything breaks down, like for many QB's. When I see Jared about to get hit, he doesn't have an immediate awareness about what to do (tuck the ball and go down). It seems to be a better than even chance that he fumbles the ball when he gets hit this way. We all want the Roman Gabriel type guy, but Jared aint that.
The other mistake is when he's getting pressured and he throws an INT, sometimes for a Pick Six. Instead of just throwing the ball away Under pressure, he'll chuck it without evaluating coverages properly...or just make a panicked attempt and a bad throw. Again, this happens in a split second bad decision moment.

If he has time to follow a play and the blocking is there, Jared is as good as anyone, but the NFL knows that pressuring him is a key to winning the game. It's probably true for most QB's, but particularly for Jared....
You NEED to be sure, train![ @nighttrain

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hope his shoulder is hurting still so he can't run as much.

Murray is a crappy pocket passer who can't see over his linemen.

He needs to move around to see his receivers. Keep him in the pocket and let him throw the ball while you're jumping up and down lol.

Actually, his passer rating outside the pocket is like 40 pts below his in pocket rating.

It's kinda crazy how it's played out. I dunno if that's for the season or just recently, but yeah. Kinda wild.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I chalked up the Miami game as an anomoly where nothing went well for the offense and ST. The SF game elevated it from an anomoly to a persistent inconsistency. Let’s pray it does not elevate from inconsistency to a persistent problem. That starts this weekend against AZ.
It is not nothing when you have a monday night game on the east coast and have to play any team, let alone a team with smart coaching, who has been resting during a bye week. And as has been pointed out this is the second time. The last time was traveling east after a monday night game to play Miami who was resting during a bye week. You are right it isn't an anomaly, it is a pattern. I will bet if someone was to be able to look up other similar scheduling issues like this they would find a very high loosing percentage for the team this happens to. It is already a known stat, that a team that plays a monday night game and then has to go on the road anywhere has a loosing percentage of over 60%. So give your self a break and R E L A X. The Rams will be ok. I will not be surprised when they win out and win the division.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apart from Mahomes, every QB in the league has thrown up a few stinkers. Let's not turn it in to a pattern and it's all good.
How about this epic Seachicken stinker a few years ago!
Seachickens.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree the offense matches up well with Arizona. The defense however our weakness is linebacking and the edge contain and Murray is a unique threat in that way, just electric in his ability to rack up easy yards.

I also expect a win, but this Rams team doesn't make anything easy. Gonna make sure I don't forget my blood pressure meds on Sun morning that's for sure lol.

I would consider having Nick Scott spy him as a 3rd safety. Arizona likes to spread it out. Scott has 4.43 wheels.

The Ramowl

Starter
I'm pretty sure that half the shit Goff gets in general (not specific to now, he has played badly recently, no denying that) is because he has a young and goofy face. I'm certain that if he looked like Garoppolo, he would be assessed differently by most, both in the evaluation of his play and of his character.
He has a great character and there was no doubt in my mind that he would accept McVay's criticism as fair.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure that half the shit Goff gets in general (not specific to now, he has played badly recently, no denying that) is because he has a young and goofy face. I'm certain that if he looked like Garoppolo, he would be assessed differently by most, both in the evaluation of his play and of his character.
He has a great character and there was no doubt in my mind that he would accept McVay's criticism as fair.

No doubt in my mind either. I think I'm on the same page as McVay and Goff as far as his play goes.

What's confusing is how so many fans are not.

Tano

Legend
Actually, his passer rating outside the pocket is like 40 pts below his in pocket rating.

It's kinda crazy how it's played out. I dunno if that's for the season or just recently, but yeah. Kinda wild.
Thing it though - Kyler is only a good pocket passer when he is able to run if that makes any sense. He couldn't run last week against New England and he had a terrible game (that's according to my brother who is a Cardinal fan).

jap

Legend
I'm glad Sean opened up publically against Jared. Given Jared's apparent character, he will use that criticism as powerful personal motivation to ramp up his game. We may be behind the 'Hawks, but we still control our own destiny. All the Horns have to do is win out in the final five games to take the NFC West. Time to double down on focus & execution. Our rookies and young vets have to grow up quickly because - assuming we do win out - we will be facing the best of the NFC in the playoffs.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Goff angry? Unlikely. Not in his football nature. Since he's even-keeled it would be more of a killer instinct that I would love to see this sunday. Start off on a roll and then keep bringing it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thing it though - Kyler is only a good pocket passer when he is able to run if that makes any sense. He couldn't run last week against New England and he had a terrible game (that's according to my brother who is a Cardinal fan).

Yeah - let’s see what Jared does against BelaCheat.

We all know about The SuperBowl & after playing poorly against Miami it was ALL brought back up about Goffs & McVays weaknesses with certain defensive looks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm glad Sean opened up publically against Jared. Given Jared's apparent character, he will use that criticism as powerful personal motivation to ramp up his game. We may be behind the 'Hawks, but we still control our own destiny. All the Horns have to do is win out in the final five games to take the NFC West. Time to double down on focus & execution. Our rookies and young vets have to grow up quickly because - assuming we do win out - we will be facing the best of the NFC in the playoffs.

Win out ? The Rams are officially 1-2 in the NFC West. Let’s get to 2-2 in the division first. Add, let’s hope The Rams have true Home games to finish the season. Gavin Newsome is all over the News with stay at home rules that could screw even that up.

The Niner loss should not have happened. Old Man Sherman sure read Goff like his favorite Cook Book.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have to have a New View point on this.

Henderson can’t read blocks well.

Reynolds missed a key block & could have just pounded Richard(Dick) Sherman. Coming across in motion & Sherman sneaks up in front of Henderson who delayed,but Reynolds was in front of him. FREAKING BLOCK!!
Mcvay is going to have a Field Day with him!!

Goff had a 3rd & 2 3 wrs for a quick hit.
I’m not sure what the WR’s we’re doing but Jared threw late & off back foot afraid & low. The other 2 guys were open,but Jared Goff stays in one spot in the pocket. All a DLineman has to do is get to his drop back spot. If not 90% of the time he will roll out to his right. -Frustrating that he is not reading the field hardly at all.

…..

Legend
I mean....I was gonna put him in my Fantasy Football starting lineup this week anyway, but this is still nice to hear.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Justin Hollins is weak.

My Big question right now is why are The Rams WR taking some long to get into there routes?

It puts so much pressure on Jared Goff & doesn’t give him much time to read the play.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I have my criticisms of Goff, his performance under pressure is definitely abysmal and needs improvement on his pocket presence. He's 26 though so I have patience on him improving on that, especially with pocket QBs not fully maturing until their late 20s / 30s.

Tano

Legend
Also I think his pocket passer rating is probably better due to the fact that he only throws when he has a completely open receiver. If no one is open, then he starts running around trying to make something happen. Just a thought.