Rams QB Goff on McVay's criticism: "He's absolutely right"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams QB Goff on McVay's criticism: "He's absolutely right"

GREG BEACHAM (AP Sports Writer)
Thu, December 3, 2020, 4:13 PM GMT+11

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) -- Jared Goff didn't get offended last weekend when Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay called out the quarterback over his recent spate of turnovers.

In fact, the quarterback had to admit his coach had a point.
''If he was lying, I'd feel differently about it,'' Goff said Wednesday. ''He's absolutely right. I'm a big boy. I can handle it.''

Goff has 10 turnovers in his last four games for the Rams (7-4), who slipped out of first place in the NFC West last weekend with a 23-20 home loss to San Francisco in which Goff threw two interceptions and lost a fumble. One of his interceptions was returned 27 yards for a touchdown by rookie Javon Kinlaw.

McVay almost always avoids any public criticism of any Rams employee except himself, but he voiced his frustration with Goff's carelessness Sunday: ''Our quarterback has got to take better care of the football.''

McVay said he went against his normal public policy because he thought Goff would handle the challenge correctly by striving to be better. Judging by Goff's
response Wednesday, the quarterback is taking it the right way.

''We have a great relationship, and I'm accountable for myself,'' Goff said about McVay. ''I need to be better than that. I need to take care of the football, and he's absolutely right, and I will. I have done that for majority of my entire football career, and will continue to take care of the football better.''

Goff hasn't been taking care of the ball lately, however: His 14 turnovers this season are tied with Minnesota's Kirk Cousins for second-most in the NFL, behind only 18 by Philadelphia's Carson Wentz.

Goff is eighth in the league with 3,021 yards passing, but many of his numbers are somewhere in the middle of the NFL pack, including his 16 touchdown passes (tied for 17th), his 67.2% completion rate (16th) and his 97.3 passer rating (23rd).

Goff also is in a mini-slump as the Rams begin the five-game push toward the playoffs with a visit to the Arizona Cardinals (6-5) on Sunday for an important divisional showdown. In Los Angeles' last four games, the fifth-year quarterback has thrown four touchdown passes and six interceptions while losing four fumbles, getting sacked seven times and posting a 79.7 passer rating.

Goff went 19 of 31 for 198 yards against the Niners, matching his least productive passing game of the season by yardage.
''You try to limit them and move on, but for the 24 hours after it, I was not in a happy place, for sure,'' Goff said of his mood on Monday. ''Really, really disappointed in myself, but you move on. We've got a big game this week. You move on, you play well, and then you just keep moving on. That's all you can do and stay confident, and it's just part of the game.''

McVay said he never considered benching Goff during his rough stretches against the 49ers - no surprise considering Goff's backups, John Wolford and Bryce Perkins, have never taken an NFL snap.

The Rams and Goff are tied together for the next four seasons in his $134 million contract extension, so McVay and his franchise quarterback are determined to get it right again, starting in Glendale. Goff had a similar midseason slump last year, but broke out of it in the final five games - starting with a 424-yard, two-touchdown performance in Week 13 at Arizona.

''One of the things that you do really appreciate about him is he steady, he's neutral,'' McVay said about Goff. ''He's coming back ready to go, and that's what you want. You don't want somebody that's going to ride the emotional roller coaster. I think there's too many ebbs and flows, especially at that quarterback position. I am looking forward to seeing him bounce back.''

NOTES: LB Ogbo Okoronkwo is likely to play Sunday for the first time since undergoing elbow surgery, McVay said. The second-year backup has missed six games. ... Rams DT Sebastian Joseph-Day was limited in practice Wednesday due to a hip injury. McVay wasn't certain of the injury's severity. ... Backup C Brian Allen remained limited in practice with his persistent knee injury.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not surprised by how Jared answered all that. He's a great kid. Think Arizona is gonna get his best.

Kind of excited to see Obo back too.

Allen... Well, I'm thinking we're gonna see injury settlement here soon perhaps.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I've been saying, Jared is going to finish the season strong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Like I've been saying, Jared is going to finish the season strong.

I hope you are right. I entered this season with doubts. They win me over and I'm all in. Then Miami happens and now the Niners. Its bringing the doubts back.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
We'll rally around Jared Goff and we'll play good football!!

Im a big Goff fan, was I pissed at his play Sunday, you bet. IF he slides at the end of the first half I really believe we win. His best football is in front of him.

Let's go beat AZ and get back on track....

TexasRam

Legend
Shit game in SF. Everyone knows it. But part of leadership is owning your shit games for all to see, and that's exactly what he did.

He knows he needs to shift modes from gunslinger to smart ball security.

Goff is averaging less than 1 interception a game. Right at where Wilson and Brady and Murray are. But he can do better.
He's #8 QB in the NFL in passing yards (probably #5 after this weekend) with subpar RB's and no Metcalf, Hopkins or Evans, so by all measures his productivity exceptional. But turnovers lead to losses, so he must do better.

He also needs help.
The defense gave up scores vs a backup QB on two straight possession.
His O-lineman and RB's failed to churn out hard yards.
Higbee missed a block on 3rd and 1 to Armstead killing a drive and also dropped a key pass.
Noteboom, Corbett and Havenstein gave up huge sacks without even slowing their guys down.
Special Teams failed pinning a perfect punt and went offsides on the game winning FG.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
I chalked up the Miami game as an anomoly where nothing went well for the offense and ST. The SF game elevated it from an anomoly to a persistent inconsistency. Let’s pray it does not elevate from inconsistency to a persistent problem. That starts this weekend against AZ.

RamWoodie

Legend
I was driving from Chicago to Memphis during the game. I had enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving with my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

I got angry with each TO the Ram offense committed. We can talk about it until "thy kingdom comes" but it ain't gonna change now.

This is my first post since the game...I didn't want to talk about it. Yesterday I finally started to get over it. The Rams control their own destiny...it starts AT ARIZONA!!!

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shit happens. Let's see what de do against Zona!

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Apart from Mahomes, every QB in the league has thrown up a few stinkers. Let's not turn it in to a pattern and it's all good.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was driving from Chicago to Memphis during the game. I had enjoyed a nice Thanksgiving with my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

I got angry with each TO the Ram offense committed. We can talk about it until "thy kingdom comes" but it ain't gonna change now.

This is my first post since the game...I didn't want to talk about it. Yesterday I finally started to get over it. The Rams control their own destiny...it starts AT ARIZONA!!!

Yeah - but SF gets new LIFE!! I they get healthy look out. Arizona twice will be key.Anything less will hurt.The Rams had a chance to have a winning record in division. The NFC West is tough.

Hard to go to SeaHags & win.Three seasons in a row ?? AnywYs weather Goff played bad or not. Mcvay needs to look in the mirror himself. His Timeout late didn’t help.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I hope you are right. I entered this season with doubts. They win me over and I'm all in. Then Miami happens and now the Niners. Its bringing the doubts back.
That's exactly where I'm at, I keep waiting for him to take that next step and every time you think he's going to a game like this past Sunday happens. I know it's in him the second half he had against New Orleans he had in the NFC Championship game was incredible. I know their(Saints) secondary wasn't the greatest but on that stage in that environment he made some incredible throws.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't know if Jared can change.
A lot of his mistakes happen when everything breaks down, like for many QB's. When I see Jared about to get hit, he doesn't have an immediate awareness about what to do (tuck the ball and go down). It seems to be a better than even chance that he fumbles the ball when he gets hit this way. We all want the Roman Gabriel type guy, but Jared aint that.
The other mistake is when he's getting pressured and he throws an INT, sometimes for a Pick Six. Instead of just throwing the ball away Under pressure, he'll chuck it without evaluating coverages properly...or just make a panicked attempt and a bad throw. Again, this happens in a split second bad decision moment.

If he has time to follow a play and the blocking is there, Jared is as good as anyone, but the NFL knows that pressuring him is a key to winning the game. It's probably true for most QB's, but particularly for Jared....

fearsomefour

Legend
Not surprised by how Jared answered all that. He's a great kid. Think Arizona is gonna get his best.

Kind of excited to see Obo back too.

Allen... Well, I'm thinking we're gonna see injury settlement here soon perhaps.
We match up well with Arizona.
I expect a win.
I worry about NE after.
A skilled coach who can put in a defensive game plan.
Beating Arizona is huge though as it helps bury them and opens the door for a three win run to 10-4.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree the offense matches up well with Arizona. The defense however our weakness is linebacking and the edge contain and Murray is a unique threat in that way, just electric in his ability to rack up easy yards.

I also expect a win, but this Rams team doesn't make anything easy. Gonna make sure I don't forget my blood pressure meds on Sun morning that's for sure lol.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree the offense matches up well with Arizona. The defense however our weakness is linebacking and the edge contain and Murray is a unique threat in that way, just electric in his ability to rack up easy yards.

I also expect a win, but this Rams team doesn't make anything easy. Gonna make sure I don't forget my blood pressure meds on Sun morning that's for sure lol.
Have to have OLB with an interest in containing unlike vs SF.
I would bring at least one S in to replace a LB and get creative with the combinations.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
Have to have OLB have an interesting in containing unlike vs SF.
I would bring at least one S in to replace a LB and get creative with the combinations.
I hope his shoulder is hurting still so he can't run as much.

Murray is a crappy pocket passer who can't see over his linemen.

He needs to move around to see his receivers. Keep him in the pocket and let him throw the ball while you're jumping up and down lol.