Rams Park Lunch Jan 24th Demoff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZGare

UDFA
I'm going to a free lunch at Rams Park today because I filled out the Rams survey sent to season ticket holders, and I responded quickly. They did one yesterday too. During lunch, Kevin Demoff answers questions. What questions would you ask? Last year at the event I think that is where I first head that Jackson and Amendola would likely not be back.

I have one primary question: "Will the Rams play the 2015 season in St. Louis?" Pretty simple. Should be an easy YES or NO by now. If they don't say YES directly, I won't know what to think. Either they truly don't know what Stan is planning, or they know and its not good.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Ask if Bradford's cap hit hurts us in getting free agents. And when he says no everyone can STFU:rofl::deadhorse:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
ZGare - would you mind sharing what you hear at this luncheon with the rest of us here at ROD?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm going to a free lunch at Rams Park today because I filled out the Rams survey sent to season ticket holders, and I responded quickly. They did one yesterday too. During lunch, Kevin Demoff answers questions. What questions would you ask? Last year at the event I think that is where I first head that Jackson and Amendola would likely not be back.

I have one primary question: "Will the Rams play the 2015 season in St. Louis?" Pretty simple. Should be an easy YES or NO by now. If they don't say YES directly, I won't know what to think. Either they truly don't know what Stan is planning, or they know and its not good.
Or they are not at liberty to say which means and I truly think this you are wasting a chance to answer a question you will get a definitive answer to I doubt they will take that moment to divulge anything.

ZGare

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is what I learned at the lunch today.

Rams here in 2015
  • I asked Kevin if he can say today that the Rams will be in St. Louis for the 2015 season. He answered that he is 99.86% sure they will be at this time. So I asked when he would know for sure -- like, say, when they mail out our season ticket bills next year? He replied that they would know for sure in the spring of 2015, since they would need to inform the EJ Dome people to get ready.
Bradford Cap Hit
  • He said Bradford is about the 14th highest paid QB on an annual basis, and given the good start he had this year, they see him as worth the money they are paying him. They would have preferred Cam Newton's situation if it had come year earlier, but they plan no changes at QB because of the cap. Bradford has 2 years left on the contract. That being said, they are looking for a backup QB in this draft that they can develop behind Bradford.
Other Notes:
  • In 2014 there will be a new sound system in the dome and all new concession vender.
  • There are plans to upgrade WiFi and Cell phone service. The NFL is pushing this. May be 2014 or 2015.
  • No news whatsoever on new stadium. These things go in fits and starts like Minnesota.
  • Kevin polled the audience -- 50% want a lid, 50% want open air. Also 50% want it in the city, 50% in the county. (Kevin prefers open air.)
  • Others need to come to the table on the new stadium issue for a regional solution where stadium can be used for a lot more than NFL and monster trucks. Instead do like Indy where they can host a lot more events.
  • There will be dynamic pricing for single seats. Higher for Dallas and Denver for instance. (We host Denver and Seattle next year, SB winner.)
  • Blue White Uniforms? It will be a few more years 2016 or 17 at the earliest. Takes the NFL 2 years to change.They are considering some kind of uniform change however.
During the discussion, James Laurinaitis walked by. He was wearing a reahab boot, but Kevin joked -- ignore the boot. Fashion statement or something.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thanks for the info. Now the question is how high they value a backup QB. I still say 3rd round is about right. Possibly with an extra pick they get on a trade down.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Thanks for the report.

I too got an invite, but due to living down in Texas I could not make it. Being raised in St. Louis and having season tickets since they moved to STL I have been very interested in the whole lease issues. I was anxious to hear what questions were asked and how Demoff responded. Overall in your opinion, what vibe did you get about the stadium/lease talks? Did he seem to have a comical sense about him with the 99.86% talk? Just curious on your thoughts?

RFT

UDFA
Thanks for the info!!! Great Stuff!!
Retractable roof for me. The best of both worlds....but if it's one or the other then open air!

ZGare

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He was kind of joking about the 99.98% but I think he was sincere. I get the impression that he isn't 100% sure what Stan might do at any time so he was covering the Stan uncertainty. Kevin spoke quite a bit about the stadium and move anxiety. Some people asked why they should keep buying season tickets if we don't know if the Rams will stay from year to year. He said he understood the emotional investment people are making when they buy season tickets. He said he feels like he has to make a good enough overall product to sell tickets year by year, and a year-by-year lease is not that unusual in the NFL, citing San Diego and in the past Minneapolis and Buffalo. He said the Rams and fans agree that it would be better to start over on a new stadium rather than upgrade the EJ Dome. He went through the whole 5 year saga that played out in Minnesota including the team working out a deal for a stadium in the suburbs before the city finally got serious and came up with a plan for a new stadium. But even that plan fell through multiple times. Finally the Vikings management made a no-too-clandestine trip to LA. Then the commissioner got involved and finally a plan was passed by the legislature. He isn't hoping for that scenario but said he wouldn't be surprised if St. Louis has to go through a similar sequence of starts and stops and threats to leave, etc. before we end up building a new stadium. He thinks a retractable roof is too expensive and he prefers open air. (said his wife doesn't understand why) He pointed to Indy as a region that build a fantastic new stadium even though its previous one was only about as old as the dome. And they built a new Airport and a new convention center. That is the kind of regional resolve he would like to see in St. Louis. (Then he joked that unlike Indy, St. Louis has a REAL river, and a lot more.) He also mentioned he thought 60,000 would be about the right size for a new stadium.

Personally, I was hoping he would just say YES, the Rams will be here in 2015. Since he didn't quite say that, and he made it sound like we should limit our enjoyment to what is happening in he current season. But often sports enjoyment comes not just from the current game or season, but with watching the development and improvement of teams and individuals over several seasons. He emphasized the fun of high fiving other fans in the stands and poking Chicago fans during the game, and having memories of great plays -- like the Ricky Proehl catch in 1999. Things you don't don't get from your sofa. All emphasizing enjoyment now, not over multiple seasons. So this leads me to believe they are positioning themselves to make no multi-year commitments here -- concession contracts, dome improvements, etc.

RFIP

That's a fantastic job by you!

Here is what I learned at the lunch today.

Rams here in 2015
  • I asked Kevin if he can say today that the Rams will be in St. Louis for the 2015 season. He answered that he is 99.86% sure they will be at this time. So I asked when he would know for sure -- like, say, when they mail out our season ticket bills next year? He replied that they would know for sure in the spring of 2015, since they would need to inform the EJ Dome people to get ready.
Bradford Cap Hit
  • He said Bradford is about the 14th highest paid QB on an annual basis, and given the good start he had this year, they see him as worth the money they are paying him. They would have preferred Cam Newton's situation if it had come year earlier, but they plan no changes at QB because of the cap. Bradford has 2 years left on the contract. That being said, they are looking for a backup QB in this draft that they can develop behind Bradford.
Other Notes:
  • In 2014 there will be a new sound system in the dome and all new concession vender.
  • There are plans to upgrade WiFi and Cell phone service. The NFL is pushing this. May be 2014 or 2015.
  • No news whatsoever on new stadium. These things go in fits and starts like Minnesota.
  • Kevin polled the audience -- 50% want a lid, 50% want open air. Also 50% want it in the city, 50% in the county. (Kevin prefers open air.)
  • Others need to come to the table on the new stadium issue for a regional solution where stadium can be used for a lot more than NFL and monster trucks. Instead do like Indy where they can host a lot more events.
  • There will be dynamic pricing for single seats. Higher for Dallas and Denver for instance. (We host Denver and Seattle next year, SB winner.)
  • Blue White Uniforms? It will be a few more years 2016 or 17 at the earliest. Takes the NFL 2 years to change.They are considering some kind of uniform change however.
During the discussion, James Laurinaitis walked by. He was wearing a reahab boot, but Kevin joked -- ignore the boot. Fashion statement or something.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Thanks a ton for the detailed answer ZGare!

I think you hit the nail on the head with it being up and down over the next few years. What will make it worse for this situation, more so compared to Minn, will be the Rams connection to LA in the past (not to mention the STL media feeding the frenzy to attract reader numbers. The whole Tavon story for example). People are very quick to take any "normal" story or tidbit of info and dissecting it into a plot to relocate or move.

With that being said it would not surprise me if Demoff really had no idea what Kroenke wants to do. If Stan is as quiet in his business world as he is with this teams fan base I could see Demoff knowing very little on this stadium situation. Demoff does an outstanding job and I praise him for that, but I bet he is limited into what he can and cannot say.

On the other side, to me it does not make much sense for Kroenke to commit to the fan base on staying here if that is indeed what he wants to do. Although I would love to hear that, I would imagine he has made it clear to his employees to stay away from commitment at this time. He has everything to gain and nothing to lose by staying silent. He currently has one of, if not the best lease deals in the league allowing him to generate an amazing net income at each game. Even with the below average crowds.

To continue to make money going forward with a new stadium he will probably try to get as much from the city and state as he can. Committing now gives him little leverage going forward. The team is not drawing well (yet) and they haven't sniffed a home playoff game in years. And I don't think him saying "don't worry we are staying" will bring the fans back by the thousands to the dome. It will only cause people to question if he is telling the truth.

I honestly think that Kroenke in-visions the Rams improving, crowds improving along with the game atmosphere and financial numbers (hotels, local bars, etc.). The city will see this and in combination with the year to year lease hanging over them Stan will have some major bargaining chips.

This is not Stan's first rodeo. He is a crafty veteran who lives by making major deals. A majority of this city remembers what it is like to lose a team and people are going to continue to talk and express their concerns. You combine that with the LA talk (or London for that matter) with his silent nature and the city/state may think about upping their end of the deal to keep this team.

Just my two cents (of course St. Louis biased) about a very interesting topic.

Thanks a ton man for the info.!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Any insight on possible offseason moves/targets relating to the draft or free agents?

Thanks a bunch, man!!

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Just chipping in here and saying much appreciated and thanks ZGare.

I would vote retractable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Please get started on the uniform revisions!