Rams notes: Snead gives thumbs-up to Kroenke/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Valid point, but why wouldn't he try to get all he could out of STL? It's happened before and he would still want to build the LA stadium regardless of what happens with the Rams.
Because some look at this strictly from an STL standpoint and others from a Rams standpoint. As Rams fans not just STL fans. This team has a deep history

FrankenRam

Starter
He's gonna do everything with his power to keep the Rams in STL. Tired of everybody moping around looking at their toes.

I'm sorry, but.....Huh?? If he's doing everything he can to keep the Rams in STL, why is he buying land in LA as part of a group that appears set to build an entirely privately financed stadium, but yet seems to be waiting for STL to fall all over itself to find the means of building a stadium for him.(??)

From my perspective, other than the fact he hasn't moved the Rams yet, I don't see a shred of evidence to suggest he's doing anything to keep the Rams in the Lou.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Why do you think he's moving them? To double (probably more) his investment. He knew what he was doing when he exercised his right of first refusal with Khan. Also, not all extremely wealthy are arrogant, greedy assholes like Kroenke. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and even Shad Khan are examples of people that, while extremely wealthy, show they care about more than just money. If I could, I'd add the word, "most" to my original statement about the extreme wealthy since I do realize they aren't all horrible. That doesn't apply to Kroenke, though. He's as ruthless and money hungry as they come. And just because they donate money for buildings at colleges and hospitals doesn't make them altruistic. Many times there are many benefits to be had from such large donations.

If he does move them it won't establish your original premise, good you backed away from this V3 said: Kroenke is everything I hate about the extreme rich. All he cares about is himself and making more money. Fuck! Him!

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

If he moves it will IMO be in order to make his franchise not just more valuable but self sufficient enough to consistently win.
He outbid Miami for Jeff Fisher gave him an unprecedented budget for assistants , a complete departure from the Shaw run Rams and gave Fisher a five year contract, when the leagues standard is 4,in order to maintain continuity and stability.
The only reason Kroenke CAN get out of the lease is because his landlord violated the terms.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
He is willing to spend money on the team which is something people always bitched about with the cheap-assed circa 1970s Bill Bidwell's Cardinals (or like the modern day Khan's Jags). I don't hold his wealth against him but it does make him powerful. He's sneaky and up to something. And, I don't trust him.

Last edited:

FrankenRam

Starter
Agreed. He is an enormous upgrade over Georgia and her brood as an owner. This team has stability now, a long term vision, and a non-dysfunctional front office that makes sound football decisions. Those things are going to start paying off in spades and IMO this team has a very bright future because of it.

Let's see.....who was the owner when the Rams picked up the only Super Trophy in team history? And who is the owner that's yet to even have a winning season on his watch?

Based on 21st century results, a case could be made for less stability and more dysfunction.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
He is willing to spend money on the team which is something people always bitched about with the cheap-assed circa 1970s Bill Bidwell's Cardinals (or like the modern day Khan's Jags). I don't hold his wealth against him but I don't trust him either. He's sneaky and he's up to somthing...

He's up to making sure that IF he stays it's not a terrible financial move AND that he will be able to compete and get a reasonable return on his investment.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
The whole stadium issue and relocation issue has sapped a lot of
My enthusiasm for the team. Sorry but I can't financially support an owner who treats his customers the way kronke has. I support anyone in the Rams organization who puts a helmet on or has awhistle around their neck but I am done with the rest of them. Go Rams

V3

Hall of Fame
Valid point, but why wouldn't he try to get all he could out of STL? It's happened before and he would still want to build the LA stadium regardless of what happens with the Rams.
I'm still not convinced the NFL or the other owners would want or allow him to own a team and be the landlord to another. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but if it did, that would be the ultimate greed move IMO. He'd not only be extorting the city of STL for the new stadium here but also bringing in tons from another club in LA. Yup, that sounds like Stan. If the NFL would allow that, it wouldn't shock me that that's what Stan wants. I just can't figure out if they'd allow it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm still not convinced the NFL or the other owners would want or allow him to own a team and be the landlord to another. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but if it did, that would be the ultimate greed move IMO. He'd not only be extorting the city of STL for the new stadium here but also bringing in tons from another club in LA. Yup, that sounds like Stan. If the NFL would allow that, it wouldn't shock me that that's what Stan wants. I just can't figure out if they'd allow it.

I think it may violate bylaws. I am not sure but I thought I read something about that.

That story is a BS internet fan invention anyway. Renting a stadium to a team while having your team in another city was a pull it outta my ass thing from message boards.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm fine with Stan. He is what a REAL owner should be. He is COMPETITIVE. My "loyalty" lies with not city or state. Iam am a RAMS fan. Yes I live in California ... but when they left, I followed them to St. Louis and cheered on like no other. I embraced all the fans and made some great friends in St. Louis. But at the end of the day ... I am a RAMS fan. my heart belongs to the team ... and my mind ... well it knows it can go either way ... and I will continue to be here.

If they stay in St. Louis .. GREAT! If they move to L.A. .... GREAT! I want my team to get that new state of the art stadium. I want my team to feel good where they are playing .. .and I want my owner to do whatever it takes to make MY team GREAT in all phases.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Maybe I'm naive but I don't see how owning a stadium for one club and owning the franchise for another is considered negative. If anything, the argument could be made that he is willing to help expand the NFL's market and not just looking out for his own brand in the Rams.

I don't get into habits of hating people just because they have money or even if they are trying to get more money. That's just capitalism folks. If he moves the team, I would be able to understand certain people's disdain for him, but not until then. He hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes yet.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm sorry, but.....Huh?? If he's doing everything he can to keep the Rams in STL, why is he buying land in LA as part of a group that appears set to build an entirely privately financed stadium, but yet seems to be waiting for STL to fall all over itself to find the means of building a stadium for him.(??)

From my perspective, other than the fact he hasn't moved the Rams yet, I don't see a shred of evidence to suggest he's doing anything to keep the Rams in the Lou.

Because he's a developer and the NFL wants the NFL in LA. The only thing that pertains to the Rams is the leverage that comes with it. Stan has said nothing because he's going with the flow, stoking the fire without lying. Yes, he will build an LA stadium. Any connection to the Rams is purely speculation.

I do believe if he had intention to move the team then he'd had said it. He's actually on record of saying the opposite. Stan knows all too well of how stadium situations can drag out and become stagnant for many years, ala Chargers. The momentum pushing the Riverfront stadium is very, very, good for STL. In fact, I think SD is very jealous of how fast it's moving. They'd kill to have this happen for them accept years ago.

You guys just need to calm down and realize it makes way more sense to stay in STL for Stan. He's gonna have to put some big dough into the LA stadium, he wouldn't pay 800 million just to move the Rams. That would be very silly and risky. Profits will shoot up after the Riverfront stadium goes through, no worries.

Oh, and Peacock deserves a statue. We can tear down the Pujols statue and put the Peacock statue there. That would be good.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Nobody else is stepping up to do it, except the Chargers and Raiders in Carlson now. If that's the case the the Rams staying is a shoe in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kroenke is everything I hate about the extreme rich. All he cares about is himself and making more money. freak! Him!

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

I take it that you are from St. Louis. Why does any rich guy purchase a sports team? To make money. Sure a few of them just love it and buy the team so they can control things like Player acquisition and roster building. But most of them see it as a good investment and a money maker. That is what they all have in common.

Georgia was the epitome of what you site. She was in it for the money. Her GM was not a football guy and Shaw, the lawyer always controlled things from afar. Stan wants a winning product on the field. Maybe it is so his team is worth more, but what owner does want that?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Let's see.....who was the owner when the Rams picked up the only Super Trophy in team history? And who is the owner that's yet to even have a winning season on his watch?

Based on 21st century results, a case could be made for less stability and more dysfunction.

LOL you want prefer the Georgia days to now? Georgia was a horrible owner. She was cheap. She would demand drafting division II plays with the first round pick to avoid having to pay them the big money. She put Zygmunt in charge and he didn't know about football. He was a financial guy. The only thing she did right was force Martz in and then she let Jay ruin that in just a few years. Frontiere was a horrible owner.

You are clearly not a Rams fans. You are just a St. Louis Rams fan. I want whats best for the team. I can understand that you are angry that Stan may move the team but from the looks of things on the outside that is less and less likely to happen. More likely Stan will build that L.A. Stadium and make money off of another team, or he will eventually sell his share of it. If he does leave for L.A. you will get another St. Louis team shortly thereafter.

V3

Hall of Fame
Maybe I'm naive but I don't see how owning a stadium for one club and owning the franchise for another is considered negative. If anything, the argument could be made that he is willing to help expand the NFL's market and not just looking out for his own brand in the Rams.

I don't get into habits of hating people just because they have money or even if they are trying to get more money. That's just capitalism folks. If he moves the team, I would be able to understand certain people's disdain for him, but not until then. He hasn't done anything wrong in my eyes yet.
I don't hate him because he has money. I hate him because everything he does is because of his love of money. In other words, he's a greedy SOB that only cares about making more money. I gave examples in another post of rich people that aren't greedy. Greed is what's going to bring this country down.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I don't hate him because he has money. I hate him because everything he does is because of his love of money. In other words, he's a greedy SOB that only cares about making more money. I gave examples in another post of rich people that aren't greedy. Greed is what's going to bring this country down.

You've established the premise you hate the man, but in the end it's just an emotional and illogical conclusion otherwise if it were logical any logical person would agree with you once it was explained.
Money is only one of the things he desires for self gratification, and in the end most of us would not turn down a pay raise , economic self interest drives all of us ( you call it greed) but in the end without that economic self interest this country would never have ascended to the lofty heights it has .
Without that self interest George Hallas and the other league founders would not have even ventured to form it.
Now mind you I can identify with a portion of your sentiments because just being a fan is not a rational decision and I do at times get upset because Kroenke's commitment to me as a fan isn't as emotional as mine is to his team,I lose money for the love of football and the Rams every year I doubt CGI is getting donations adequate to cover all of his nut for this place.So let me ask you, if the NFL was being run by people as emotionally vested in it to lose millions, how long do you think there would be an NFL? NOT FOR LONG IS MY BEST GUESS
AND let us never forget the union that strives constantly to increase their revenues and are such a large component of the NEED to increase revenues in order to compete, do you hate them too?

V3

Hall of Fame
You've established the premise you hate the man, but in the end it's just an emotional and illogical conclusion otherwise if it were logical any logical person would agree with you once it was explained.
Money is only one of the things he desires for self gratification, and in the end most of us would not turn down a pay raise , economic self interest drives all of us ( you call it greed) but in the end without that economic self interest this country would never have ascended to the lofty heights it has .
Without that self interest George Hallas and the other league founders would not have even ventured to form it.
Now mind you I can identify with a portion of your sentiments because just being a fan is not a rational decision and I do at times get upset because Kroenke's commitment to me as a fan isn't as emotional as mine is to his team,I lose money for the love of football and the Rams every year I doubt CGI is getting donations adequate to cover all of his nut for this place.So let me ask you, if the NFL was being run by people as emotionally vested in it to lose millions, how long do you think there would be an NFL? NOT FOR LONG IS MY BEST GUESS
AND let us never forget the union that strives constantly to increase their revenues and are such a large component of the NEED to increase revenues in order to compete, do you hate them too?
I was responding to Jorge's response to my original post that didn't have the word, "most". A clarification like I gave you in another post.

There's a big difference between an average person turning down a pay raise and a billionaire wanting more. When's enough enough? That level of "economic self interest" is destroying this country. When so few own and control so much, it's not for the betterment of the country or humanity. It's fine to start things to make a profit to secure you and your family's future, but, going back to quoting Forrest Gump, "there's only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off."

I'm not calling for NFL owners to lose money or break even. I'm saying I have a major issue with them extorting cities to get what they want when they already have billions to satisfy their own desires(not needs). The Rams make a very nice profit in St. Louis and the building is just fine, structurally speaking. He doesn't need a new stadium. He just wants more money. That's it. If he wants to make more, whatever, but when it start affecting the lives of others, many of whom struggle enough as it is, that's when I start taking offense.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
There's a big difference between an average person turning down a pay raise and a billionaire wanting more. When's enough enough? That level of "economic self interest" is destroying this country. When so few own and control so much, it's not for the betterment of the country or humanity. It's fine to start things to make a profit to secure you and your family's future, but, going back to quoting Forrest Gump, "there's only so much fortune a man really needs and the rest is just for showing off."

I'm not calling for NFL owners to lose money or break even. I'm saying I have a major issue with them extorting cities to get what they want when they already have billions to satisfy their own desires(not needs). The Rams make a very nice profit in St. Louis and the building is just fine, structurally speaking. He doesn't need a new stadium. He just wants more money. That's it. If he wants to make more, whatever, but when it start affecting the lives of others, many of whom struggle enough as it is, that's when I start taking offense.

If everyone thinks small, jobs especially for the least skilled aren't created and FWIW there are people who probably think you have enough, I absolutely KNOW people who are jealous of my success and it's not remarkable . So how much is enough how about enough that Mark Davis doesn't have to sell his team because he couldn't pay the inheritance tax on it unless he sells.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27201315/...-have-rooting-interest-election/#.VOef-_nF-So

I think Stan knows better than us that financial empires rise and fall and what it takes to maintain them ,this came into pay when Ralph Wilson died.
Are YOU going to write your will to exclude your children, not me, I worked very hard and took risks to accumulate what I have and the future is always uncertain so if I can I'll leave enough to assure they have a shot for a lifestyle commensurate to mine ,IMO all parents want that for their children.

You quoted Forrest Gump, I'll quote Jim Drury ,of Drury hotels and numerous Burger Kings,we were at his son's 30th birthday party, he aske me how business was, I said not as well as his but I was happy with it'd growth we had increased our sales from where the company was doing about 20 times what it was in the 7 years since we's bought it , when we did the company was losing money badly had lost 2/3 of ot's sales in the previous 2 years ( there's that risk and uncertain future ). So then I ask him how his is doing , he said "We have 8 more Burger Kings going up and 4 hotels , we have things going our way ,IF we don't fuck it up".
So no not fuck him,if he doesn't operate shrewdly ,he too could fuck it up.
The retail grocery giant A&P went under because they didn't manage well rags to richs is the American dream richs to rags is the American nightmare.

Clearly though there are political under tones to some of the conclusions ,so before it spirals I'll leave you with this bigotry takes many forms ,towards the rich is cultivated and once it gets rolling it dehumanizes people to the point of hatred,don't be a hattuh, it's such an unproductive emotion..

I'm done

FrankenRam

Starter
LOL you want prefer the Georgia days to now? Georgia was a horrible owner. She was cheap. She would demand drafting division II plays with the first round pick to avoid having to pay them the big money. She put Zygmunt in charge and he didn't know about football. He was a financial guy. The only thing she did right was force Martz in and then she let Jay ruin that in just a few years. Frontiere was a horrible owner.

You are clearly not a Rams fans. You are just a St. Louis Rams fan. I want whats best for the team. I can understand that you are angry that Stan may move the team but from the looks of things on the outside that is less and less likely to happen. More likely Stan will build that L.A. Stadium and make money off of another team, or he will eventually sell his share of it. If he does leave for L.A. you will get another St. Louis team shortly thereafter.

While I certainly have a healthy respect and appreciation for Rams' history, it is true I wasn't a diehard fan until they moved to STL.

And I can understand why LA Rams fans don't care for Georgia as it could easily be argued she drove the Rams out of LA.

But none of the above negates the truth of my original post. I.e., the only Super Bowl trophy in the team's history occurred on her watch. And that the team has not had so much as a winning season under Kroenke's watch.

So, I don't see how any Rams fan can be a fan of Kroenke at this point....except for those who are hoping and praying he moves them back to LA.

Edit: P.S. Nothing in my original post should be construed as 'my preference'. It was simply a statement of facts.