Rams notes: Snead gives thumbs-up to Kroenke/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Snead gives thumbs-up to Kroenke
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6d403676-1a2d-5cfa-abf8-c794a9c8de5d.html

INDIANAPOLIS • Stan Kroenke might be public enemy No. 1 among Rams fans. But from where general manager Les Snead sits, he has no problems with the team’s owner.

“I give him unbelievable thumbs up,” Snead said Wednesday. “He’s competitive ... the guy wants to win. Even in St. Louis where you’re a lower-revenue team, never once has there been a problem with not being able stay in and compete (financially).

“And hey, the guy knows sports. He’s got a lot of sports teams. There’s a rational patience to him, where you can tell him your process and he’ll let you evolve and see if it works.”

Snead said he hasn’t given much thought to the possibility of Kroenke moving the team to Los Angeles after the 2015 season. That’s particularly true this time of year with free agency and the draft on the horizon.

“All we can do now is go through the next phase,” Snead said. “Combine, free agency, top 30 (visits), pro days, OTAs. All those things to get ready for ’15.”

THE OTHER GUYS

Even with all the attention paid to Sam Bradford and the team’s efforts to reduce his contract, 2015 backups Shaun Hill and Austin Davis remain in the picture.

The agent for Hill, St. Louisan Bob Lattinville, is scheduled to meet with the Rams to talk about a contract.

Hill is scheduled for unrestricted free agency.

Davis, meanwhile, is scheduled for restricted free agency. The Rams are expected to make a one-year tender offer on Davis, a move that at the least would give them matching rights on any outside offers.

There are different levels of tender offers, which determine what draft pick compensation — if any — the Rams would get if they decided not to match an outside offer on Davis.

Because Davis wasn’t drafted, the Rams would not receive draft-pick compensation if they gave Davis the low tender — which was $1.43 million last year — and decided not to match an outside offer.

“Internally, we haven’t totally decided yet,” Snead said of the potential tender for Davis. “We’ve got a good feel for it but we like to keep the financial part in house until we make the decision.”

Snead said he thought Hill and Davis would be better than most rookies in the 2015 draft class if they had to start in Game 1. Part of the evaluation process if the Rams draft a quarterback is projecting how good they can be over time, and how much of an upgrade they would be over Hill and Davis.

Snead pointed out that Hill beat Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos, and Davis beat Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks, in starts last season.

MINI-DRAFT

After three years of having extra picks via the RGIII trade, the Rams have only five selections in this draft right now.

“I feel like we’re drafting on a diet,” Snead quipped. “So I don’t know how that’s going to go. But I think we’ve evolved to the point where the glaring needs are probably less and less.

“We’re always the kid in the candy story — you’re gonna want a lot. The ‘wants’ are always gonna be there. But we’re getting to the point where we’ve gotta use each pick strategically in trying to build our football team.”

COME AGAIN?

One of the best parts of a Snead interview session is that you never quite know what he’s going to say. That was particularly the case Wednesday.

When asked why maintaining continuity was so important to the Rams on offense given that unit’s struggles, here was Snead’s answer:

“I think in the NFL continuity’s extremely underrated,” Snead said. “I call it the 606 Principle. A guy named Paul Ehrlich, I think on the 606th try, he came up with a medication that cured syphilis. I don’t think anybody’s gonna give us 605 chances.”

No, in fact, not many regimes are retained after three consecutive losing seasons, as is the case with Snead and coach Jeff Fisher.

“The moral of that story is that you can evolve sometimes with continuity,” Snead said. “It doesn’t mean you’re gonna stay the same. ... You can learn from the past to make the future better.”

Beyond that, it had to be the first time in Combine history that a coach or general manager used the word “syphilis” during a news conference.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
“I think in the NFL continuity’s extremely underrated,” Snead said. “I call it the 606 Principle. A guy named Paul Ehrlich, I think on the 606th try, he came up with a medication that cured syphilis. I don’t think anybody’s gonna give us 605 chances.”

Imagine that. The guy that invented the cure for syphilis also has an insect extermination company. I hope for Ehrlich's sake, that doesn't become common knowledge or they're going to get some strange requests.

"Hello Ehrlich"
"I heard you guys invented the cure for syphilis, can you come out and spray some of that bug juice on my privates?"

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I will go on record that I am a fan of Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke. Now would I like him at more games and saying a few more things? Well, maybe, but I like his money and after years of Nickeling and diming under Madame Georgia, this has been a refreshing change.

I understand why some have issues with him, but IMO, I feel he's doing what's best for his franchise from a fiscal standpoint, however, if you win regardless of where your team is located, they will come and they will come in droves!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I will go on record that I am a fan of Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke. Now would I like him at more games and saying a few more things? Well, maybe, but I like his money and after years of Nickeling and diming under Madame Georgia, this has been a refreshing change.

I understand why some have issues with him, but IMO, I feel he's doing what's best for his franchise from a fiscal standpoint, however, if you win regardless of where your team is located, they will come and they will come in droves!

I am happy with Kroenke too. After observing such horrible ownership around the league (Browns, Raiders, Skins, Cowboys, etc) And Georgia for nearly 20 years, I think the Rams have one of the better ownership situations in the league.....even if he is considering a move.

In fact if he does move to LA I really hope it is with the Rams instead of selling the Rams and buying the Raiders like rumored. ( Sorry St. louis guys but I don't want a meddlesome owner like Snyder, don't even wan to risk it)

V3

Hall of Fame
Kroenke is everything I hate about the extreme rich. All he cares about is himself and making more money. Fuck! Him!

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

From a fiscal standpoint? We're not exactly losing money. What's best from a fiscal standpoint would be to not be the worst team of the current century. Besides, what difference does it make to us as fans? With a salary cap and all.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Agreed. He is an enormous upgrade over Georgia and her brood as an owner. This team has stability now, a long term vision, and a non-dysfunctional front office that makes sound football decisions. Those things are going to start paying off in spades and IMO this team has a very bright future because of it.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I'd like him too if he had a little more loyalty to Missouri. Does everything have to be about the money when you already have a billion?
Really!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Kroenke is everything I hate about the extreme rich. All he cares about is himself and making more money. freak! Him!

In the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."
I would advise you to make sure you don't read any dedication plaques at hospitals and colleges, to stay away from any cancer society or leukemia fund raisers , you might have that bubble burst.
IF ALL Kreoenke cared about was money he wouldn't own the Rams, of all his holdings I'd bet the Rams has one of the lower returns on investment.
All it would take for 90% of NFL franchises to become money losers is the change of one or two tax laws.

Sure I get my panties in a bunch over the thought of financial blackmail , but in the end St.Louis has to pony up to play in the league.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
From a fiscal standpoint? We're not exactly losing money. What's best from a fiscal standpoint would be to not be the worst team of the current century. Besides, what difference does it make to us as fans? With a salary cap and all.

It makes a difference you will find that the longer you root for the team, but I did communicate in my post, that winning would increase revenue in so many ways.

You could be right maybe I like Kronke because of years of Georgia and if the Rams had another owner I would feel different, but relocation notwithstanding I'm still a fan of Stan, however, if the Rams don't start winning soon I am sure I will feel differently.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does everything have to be about the money when you already have a billion?
Really!

Actually even more so as sad as some think that is, however, everyone is accustom to a certain lifestyle and like beauty, wealth, is in the eye of the beholder!

rick6fan

UDFA
Agreed. He is an enormous upgrade over Georgia and her brood as an owner. This team has stability now, a long term vision, and a non-dysfunctional front office that makes sound football decisions. Those things are going to start paying off in spades and IMO this team has a very bright future because of it.

Sorry, but there is absolutely NO stability in this organization. There won't be until the stadium situation is settled, one way or the other.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'd like him too if he had a little more loyalty to Missouri. Does everything have to be about the money when you already have a billion?
Really!

He's gonna do everything with his power to keep the Rams in STL. Tired of everybody moping around looking at their toes.

dhaab

Rookie
Gotta love all of the apologists making excuses for another 1%er who has shown time and time again that he's all about making more money and pretty much nothing else.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but there is absolutely NO stability in this organization. There won't be until the stadium situation is settled, one way or the other.
Got to agree with this.

Regardless of how you feel about Kroenke, of all the words to describe the current state of the franchise, "stability" is not one I'd use.

V3

Hall of Fame
I would advise you to make sure you don't read any dedication plaques at hospitals and colleges, to stay away from any cancer society or leukemia fund raisers , you might have that bubble burst.
IF ALL Kreoenke cared about was money he wouldn't own the Rams, of all his holdings I'd bet the Rams has one of the lower returns on investment.
All it would take for 90% of NFL franchises to become money losers is the change of one or two tax laws.

Sure I get my panties in a bunch over the thought of financial blackmail , but in the end St.Louis has to pony up to play in the league.
Why do you think he's moving them? To double (probably more) his investment. He knew what he was doing when he exercised his right of first refusal with Khan. Also, not all extremely wealthy are arrogant, greedy assholes like Kroenke. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and even Shad Khan are examples of people that, while extremely wealthy, show they care about more than just money. If I could, I'd add the word, "most" to my original statement about the extreme wealthy since I do realize they aren't all horrible. That doesn't apply to Kroenke, though. He's as ruthless and money hungry as they come. And just because they donate money for buildings at colleges and hospitals doesn't make them altruistic. Many times there are many benefits to be had from such large donations.

V3

Hall of Fame
He's gonna do everything with his power to keep the Rams in STL. Tired of everybody moping around looking at their toes.
What? Are you talking about Kroenke because if that were true, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. He would have built his own stadium by now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Snead pointed out that Hill beat Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos, and Davis beat Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks, in starts last season."

And left out that they lost to Matt Cassel and Ryan Lindley too

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Organizational stability is not about where they play. I am talking about the basics, which is where this team is already light years ahead of where it was. They have solid coaching, draft well, and have won a decent amount of games despite a complete roster purge.

I am very happy with our team's future and am not concerned about where they play. I have followed them since they moved out on me, and will welcome them back if they return.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
What? Are you talking about Kroenke because if that were true, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. He would have built his own stadium by now.

Valid point, but why wouldn't he try to get all he could out of STL? It's happened before and he would still want to build the LA stadium regardless of what happens with the Rams.