Rams not going Oline in round 1?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
tonyl711 with more thoughts:
#1 probably because they didn't have starters at those positions that they felt were good enough, the Rams have 2 pretty damn good OTs right now, not a need for a starter right now.
#2, by that way of thinking you are saying that no OT taken after the first will be any good ever? I would bet my last dollar that there will be plenty of them drafted after the first that will start eventually.
#3, once again, those teams had a big need for those players and it just so happened that last year there were a couple OGs that graded out that high. I know you aren't saying you cant get a very good OG in the second round are you?
#4, you kind of did say that, you mentioned them getting the Olinemen as a reason they went from 6 and 9 to 13 and 3. there were a lot more moves made than just on the Oline.

last years draft was last year, some years more QBS get drafted in the first round, some years it WRs, some years DE. you don't draft by looking at what teams did last year.

First thing I've got to say is, I like this numbering system we got going. :) Especially in my condition. :LOL:

#1 You just repeated what you said the first time so see my prior reasoning.
#2 Of course I'm not saying that. Odds are odds tony. That's why I always say the chances are less. Can you deny that? And further, can you even say that the odds are good? I would think the math says no to both of those questions.
#3 Thats why I just disagreed with your 3rd round contention so no, I'm not saying you can't get a good one in the 2nd round.
#4 Then I didn't make myself clear. they were merely a huge part of the change in the roster (and injuries + luck) that caused them to have such a huge turn around. As such, I felt it to to be a very valid point to think about. I still do.

And yes, I agree with your contention that this years draft will not be like last years draft. But here's the thing, the math will be the same. That's why I love math. :)

Keep in mind that I said this in the beginning: "Something to think about yes?" I'm not saying my way or the highway here. It's just things to think about before coming to your final opinion. Whatever that is. (y)

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He's not at the top of my list, but I like his versatility. I think he could fit any scheme, but he IS Shelley Smith right now, I just think he has more potential. A similar player that I listed earlier, before Mayock talked to all the GM's, lol, Bitonio, I like better. He's physically better, and plays meaner. I'd just as soon have Ju'Wan James for our team, than Martin, for what it's worth, and he wouldn't cost near as much. What do you think?
James would be very good swing OT prospect in my book I have mentioned him often and really hope that he would be on the board @ #75.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
James would be very good swing OT prospect in my book I have mentioned him often and really hope that he would be on the board @ #75.
I really like both those boys at Tennessee. Funny, I would be watching tape on one, and then the other would flash, kept happening.

iced

It's not "insurance", Jake Long won't be around for the long term...and Joe Barksdale is a UFA after this year (and so far no new deal despite a good season).

JM can start at RT and then LT when Jake Long is gone. It's such a perfect scenario.

So we're spending a first round pick to start in 3 years? I'm pretty sure that's where the word "development" comes from, especially regarding late round picks and players you plan to groom into that position.

Long is going to be here for a few years - and as much as people want to inflate his "injury bug" - might i remind you he only missed one game... if you wanna bring up miami and his previous history, then i can easily point to Jeff Fisher and how he handles his players, particularly veterans

Memphis Ram

Legend
So we're spending a first round pick to start in 3 years? I'm pretty sure that's where the word "development" comes from, especially regarding late round picks and players you plan to groom into that position.

Long is going to be here for a few years - and as much as people want to inflate his "injury bug" - might i remind you he only missed one game... if you wanna bring up miami and his previous history, then i can easily point to Jeff Fisher and how he handles his players, particularly veterans

Finnegan was going to be here a few years, too. No one knows for sure.

BTW, he only missed one game because his injury occurred at the end of the season. Would Saffold be less injury prone if his injuries had similar timing?

iced

Finnegan was going to be here a few years, too. No one knows for sure.

Oh BS. You saw the length of that contract and the cap - it was never a "one year deal" - they were expecting him to perform on a high level - not a league worst

BTW, he only missed one game because his injury occurred at the end of the season. Would Saffold be less injury prone if his injuries had similar timing?
Stop right there. Saffold has missed many games almost every year, including early, middle, and late - terrible comparison

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There is youth and young talent all over this roster with the exception of the offensive line. The expensive tape and glue FA approach hasn't worked. Its time to invest here.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Oh BS. You saw the length of that contract and the cap - it was never a "one year deal" - they were expecting him to perform on a high level - not a league worst

Stop right there. Saffold has missed many games almost every year, including early, middle, and late - terrible comparison

Take another look at the contract. They didn't make it easy capwise for the organization to get out of his deal in 2 years because they shared your beliefs of his longevity. He was and is a risk.

As far Saffold, my point remains. If his injuries had occurred towards the end of seasons, he would have missed fewer games. Wouldn't he?

iced

Take another look at the contract. They didn't make it easy capwise for the organization to get out of his deal in 2 years because they shared your beliefs of his longevity. He was and is a risk.

As far Saffold, my point remains. If his injuries had occurred towards the end of seasons, he would have missed fewer games. Wouldn't he?

saffold missed several games during the season, and he also left at the end of the last game of the season (or as you could put, toward the end of the season).

They believed Finnegan would be worth his cap number based on his play and his leadership; unfortunately , his play became the equivalent of justin king

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
OL in the first isn't what Jeff likes to do. He likes playmakers in round one. With several really solid OL'man in the second round, I think our #1 goal is to trade down and draft a guy like Watkins. Mathews and Robinson are a pln C just like Brockers was. But like Brockers, drafting a big time trench guy is a great plan C. We can't go wrong, there.

Memphis Ram

Legend
saffold missed several games during the season, and he also left at the end of the last game of the season (or as you could put, toward the end of the season).

They believed Finnegan would be worth his cap number based on his play and his leadership; unfortunately , his play became the equivalent of justin king

I understand Saffold's injury timeline. But, again my point was that games missed isn't the sole determination of proneness to injury. If Saffold's injury timeline matched Long's he wouldn't have been considered less injury prone. And if Long's matched Saffold, he wouldn't have been any more injury prone.

And one could argue that Finnegan's play suffered due to injury. However, the main point I was making in bringing him up is that, few, if any, expected that he would gone so fast after signing his deal. So to suggest that Long is going to be with the team a few years as if it's gospel given the uncertainty of this league seems fruitless. And especially with his injury history and age (will be 30 prior to 2015 season).

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Huh? That isn't what I said at all. If Jake Matthews were to be drafted, he would start @ RT, this year then when Jake Long leaves he'll take over at the left.

I didn't mention injuries either. I really like JL. It's age and the contract, he won't be here for 5, 6 years. Maybe 3 years, tops.

iced

Huh? That isn't what I said at all. If Jake Matthews were to be drafted, he would start @ RT, this year then when Jake Long leaves he'll take over at the left.

why? Barksdale has been more than good at RT, and should only get better.
I didn't mention injuries either. I really like JL. It's age and the contract, he won't be here for 5, 6 years. Maybe 3 years, tops.

you don't draft a guy for "5,6 years" down the line... they'll likely be jakes age by then - can't wait to hear then "oh we gotta replace him, he's old"

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd like to mention something that I've said before but I am still reading on this site. Below is a list of the top 96 players in the draft by position, which would take in the first 3 rounds:
Bolded players are rated as fourth round picks. Nuff said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/FS

Hasean Clinton-Dix Overall rank: 17 Position rank: 1

Calvin Pryor Overall rank: 20 Position rank: 2

Terrence Brooks Overall rank: 72 Position rank: 3

Ed Reynolds Overall rank: 103 Position rank: 4

Dion Bailey Overall rank: 124 Position rank: 5

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/CB

Justin Gilbert Overall rank: 10 Position rank: 1

Darqueze Dennard Overall rank: 16 Position rank: 2

Kyle Fuller Overall rank: 27 Position rank: 3

Jason Verrett Overall rank: 31 Position rank: 4

Bradley Roby Overall rank: 33 Position rank: 5

Marcus Roberson Overall rank: 49 Position rank: 6

Lamarcus Joyner Overall rank: 55 Position rank: 7

Jaylen Watkins Overall rank: 67 Position rank: 8

Pierre Desir Overall rank: 74 Position rank: 9

Bashaud Breeland Overall rank: 84 Position rank: 10

Stanley Jean-Baptiste Overall rank: 87 Position rank: 11

Keith McGill Overall rank: 95 Position rank: 12

Phillip Gaines Overall rank: 99 Position rank: 13

Louchiez Purifoy Overall rank: 101 Position rank: 14

Victor Hampton Overall rank: 112 Position rank: 15

E.J. Gaines Overall rank: 115 Position rank: 16

Rashaad Reynolds Overall rank: 120 Position rank: 17

Chris Davis Overall rank: 121 Position rank: 18

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/OLB

Khalil Mack Overall rank: 6 Position rank: 1

Anthony Barr Overall rank: 8 Position rank: 2

Ryan Shazier Overall rank: 29 Position rank: 3

Kyle Van Noy Overall rank: 39 Position rank: 4

Jeremiah Attaochu Overall rank: 51 Position rank: 5

Trevor Reilly Overall rank: 64 Position rank: 6

Carl Bradford Overall rank: 68 Position rank: 7

Telvin Smith Overall rank: 85 Position rank: 8

Jordan Tripp Overall rank: 94 Position rank: 9

Jordan Zumwalt Overall rank: 106 Position rank: 10

Christian Kirksey Overall rank: 116 Position rank: 11

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/WR

Sammy Watkins Overall rank: 4 Position rank: 1

Mike Evans Overall rank: 13 Position rank: 2

Odell Beckham Overall rank: 19 Position rank: 3

Brandin Cooks Overall rank: 21 Position rank: 4

Marqise Lee Overall rank: 28 Position rank: 5

Kelvin Benjamin Overall rank: 32 Position rank: 6

Allen Robinson Overall rank: 34 Position rank: 7

Davante Adams Overall rank: 44 Position rank: 8

Martavis Bryant Overall rank: 47 Position rank: 9

Donte Moncrief Overall rank: 52 Position rank: 10

Paul Richardson Overall rank: 65 Position rank: 11

Jordan Matthews Overall rank: 69 Position rank: 12

Bruce Ellington Overall rank: 77 Position rank: 13

Jarvis Landry Overall rank: 91 Position rank: 14

Robert Herron Overall rank: 97 Position rank: 15

Jered Abbrederis Overall rank: 105 Position rank: 16

Dri Archer Overall rank: 109 Position rank: 17

Josh Huff Overall rank: 115 Position rank: 18

Mike Davis Overall rank: 125 Position rank: 19

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/OT

Greg Robinson Overall rank: 2 Position rank: 1

Jake Matthews Overall rank: 5 Position rank: 2

Taylor Lewan Overall rank: 12 Position rank: 3

Zack Martin Overall rank: 15 Position rank: 4

Cyrus Kouandjio Overall rank: 36 Position rank: 5

Morgan Moses Overall rank: 48 Position rank: 6

Joel Bitonio Overall rank: 58 Position rank: 7

Jack Mewhort Overall rank: 62 Position rank: 8

Antonio Richardson Overall rank: 80 Position rank: 9

Billy Turner Overall rank: 98 Position rank: 10

JaWuan James Overall rank: 111 Position rank: 11

Cameron Fleming Overall rank: 126 Position rank: 12

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/OG

Xavier Su'a-Filo Overall rank: 25 Position rank: 1

David Yankey Overall rank: 37 Position rank: 2

Gabe Jackson Overall rank: 50 Position rank: 3

Dakota Dozier Overall rank: 70 Position rank: 4

Cyril Richardson Overall rank: 86 Position rank: 5

Brandon Thomas Overall rank: 119 Position rank: 6

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/DT

Aaron Donald Overall rank: 14 Position rank: 1

Timmy Jernigan Overall rank: 18 Position rank: 2

Louis Nix Overall rank: 24 Position rank: 3

RaShede Hageman Overall rank: 35 Position rank: 4

Stephan Tuitt Overall rank: 40 Position rank: 5

Dominique Easley Overall rank: 59 Position rank: 6

Will Sutton Overall rank: 66 Position rank: 7

Kelcy Quarles Overall rank: 73 Position rank: 8

Ego Ferguson Overall rank: 79 Position rank: 9

Daquan Jones Overall rank: 83 Position rank: 10

Anthony Johnson Overall rank: 96 Position rank: 11

Juastin Ellis Overall rank: 102 Position rank: 12

Daniel McCullers Overall rank: 127 Position rank: 13

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/DE

Don't care.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/C

Don't care.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/QB

Don't care.

So what does it tell us about this "deep" draft? To me it says that it's deep at some positions. It is not deep at all at the purple positions so no one should just throw that "deep draft" comment around without some context.

14 WRs in the top 96 players.

12 CBs in the top 96 players.

11 DTs in the top 96 players.

9 DEs in the top 96 players.

9 OTs in the top 96 players.

9 OLBs in the top 96 players.

6 Qbs in the top 96 players.

5 OGs in the top 96 players.

3 FS in the top 96 players.

2 OCs in top 96 players.

Of course, NFL teams and even readers would have to agree with the rankings of CBS Sports to completely agree with your conclusion. And even these rankings will likely change a few more times prior to the draft.

Alan

Legend
Angry Ram with this assertion:
If Jake Matthews were to be drafted, he would start @ RT, this year then when Jake Long leaves he'll take over at the left.
Maybe yes and maybe no. Barksdale isn't likely to move to guard but Matthews can. You want your 5 best guys out there and that could easily mean having Matthews playing LG.

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram with this:
Of course, NFL teams and even readers would have to agree with the rankings of CBS Sports to completely agree with your conclusion. And even these rankings will likely change a few more times prior to the draft.
I'm sorry, you didn't get my point. It doesn't matter where everyone has these guys rated because the top 100 should be pretty much the same. Who cares whether these guys rate Mack the best overall player and someone else rates him the 5th best. He's still one of the 96 or so best players. I seriously doubt you could find anyone's top 96 list that would appreciably change the amount of top players at a position. Which was after all, my point.

If you can find one let me know and I'll check it out. :)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
why? Barksdale has been more than good at RT, and should only get better.

you don't draft a guy for "5,6 years" down the line... they'll likely be jakes age by then - can't wait to hear then "oh we gotta replace him, he's old"

Really dude? I hate saying this, especially on this board, but didn't you read my post? Joe Barksdale is an UFA after this year, and no new contract so far despite his good 2013 season.

Jake Long isn't gonna be here for 5+ years, again...3 years tops. Contract and age. When he's let go, Jake Matthews will take over on the left (if he's drafted of course). Until then he would be starting right tackle, or possibly guard as @Alan said. Which I wouldn't like..but that's a different topic.

Alan

Legend
Yeah, that would be the long term plan for sure.

I also think that we'll probably end up letting Barksdale go after next year. I think he'll want to much money if he plays well this year and if he doesn't...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, that would be the long term plan for sure.

I also think that we'll probably end up letting Barksdale go after next year. I think he'll want to much money if he plays well this year and if he doesn't...
Cap wise, that is my thinking as well.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM seeing the inevitable:
Cap wise, that is my thinking as well.
I'm not sure any team can keep three starting caliber OTs. That's why you always need a good developing backup.