Rams not going Oline in round 1?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams really looked hard at Robinson and Matthews, but recently have visits with Martin, Bitonio, and Turner. Early on I figured that Oline was the sure bet but considering the Rams philosophy on building the line with cheaper talent and Free Agents it certainly seems that they don't prefer to take lineman with high picks. They always consider them but in the end pass in favor of more dynamic players. It doesn't mean they won't but more dynamic players often catch their eye.

Does that happen again this year? Watkins has a private workout and they supposedly like Clowney and Mack.

On the line they could convince themselves that they have a need at Guard/Future Tackle. So if they take a tackle to back up Long, and play him at Guard until Longs contract runs out, then they don't need a polished player, instead opting for Bitonio or Turner and bring him along as an OT.

Or if Saffold is the swing Tackle then they only need a Guard and maybe a later round developmental Tackle.

I have been leaning Matthews all along but I can definitely see scenarios where some of the flashier players may be too tempting to pass up. The Rams always like the freak athletes, like Mack, Clowney, Watkins, Gilbert.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
It would be great to think we could use picks from second round or later (i've no idea where Martin, Bitonio or Turner are projected to go) on o lineman and coach them up. That way we could pick an o lineman or two every year and consistently have solid o line play and depth.

But, when this scenario is described I can't help thinking that for every Barksdale there's a Chris Williams or Shelley Smith (these were the first two names that popped into my head - I'm sure there must be better examples) i.e players that might do ok and have some upside but ultimately aren't good enough to be starting for a team that is aiming for the play offs in 2014.

I'm all for drafting o lineman later and developing them but only in addition to (not instead of) getting someone like Matthews in the first round

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If we don't get Robinson/Matthews it isn't the end of the world as long as we draft an OG somewhere in the first 3 rds IMO.

I still think we should draft one of those two premium OT's though. I have very little faith in the health of 3 fifths of our projected starters. Dubious gamble considering whats on the line for Bradford's future here.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I thin we may see two of the top three picks go for o-line the middle one a safety, and then start taking freaks in BPA fashion regardless position.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure Snead & Fisher could go elsewhere sure and they have gone elsewhere than the OL the last two drafts. Fact is we play in the NFC West Division! Here in the West we have seen the last two yrs NFC best teams build power OL's & DL's that control and set the tone for them winning...we all said it last yr no "dynamic" i.e Sammy Watkins player would have made any difference on the outcomes. The OL was raped over and over again by the Seattle DL it was a nasty ugly thing to watch.

Bottom Line the Rams best two OL'ers one who did not play and the other did not make it into the 2nd half both due to injury again. On the DL we lost the 12 man masses favorite Kendall Langford when he accidentally swung his arm & hand & struck a ref who was running up from behind Kendall. It was my determination that the ref ran & struck the hand of Kendall. The DL went to hell after the loss of Kendall. That could give us a clue as to how valuable & undervalued Kendall Langford is.

Bottom line in my small mind you must build a winning team from up front. Snead & Fisher have been working hard on the DL and not as hard on the OL. The OL still not a strong OL and still has vacant positions and the filled positions have serious questionable injury historys i.e Scott Wells, Rodger Saffold & Jake Long.

Most all the draft rankings are real close who are the top five are....JD-JM-GR-SW-KM. Now if they are all about the same then where can we get a player that can make this Ram team solid & help to contend late into the season with wins? I am sure Dynamic fancy toy Player or a LB'er who can not cover a slow turtle out of the back field ....do not come to my mind.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Most all the draft rankings are real close who are the top five are....JD-JM-GR-SW-KM. Now if they are all about the same then where can we make this Ram team team more solid & able to contend late into the season with wins? I am sure Dynamic fancy toy Player does not comes to my mind.
Whats this Bony? Getting lazy on me? Don't make me decipher this. ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Whats this Bony? Getting lazy on me? Don't make me decipher this. ;)

More like older & feeble on you ....Watch it bud I just might be your secret probationary officer's boss!:coffee::LOL:

Clowney-Matthews-Robinson-Watkins-Mack does this assist you some :)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
More like older & feeble on you ....Watch it bud I just might be your secret probationary officer's boss!:coffee::LOL:

Clowney-Matthews-Robinson-Watkins-Mack does this assist you some :)
I'm already on double secret probation!! What could be worse than that?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm all for picking PM's and drafting some really solid guys a little later. But heck, I'm behind Snisher no matter what.

I'll be a little bummed with Mack, though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm already on double secret probation!! What could be worse than that?
I could order your probationary officer to set up the weekly Mandatory Estrogen Shots and then have him take your man card for a period . That should really get your attention and certainly make you very unpopular with all your female companions.o_O

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm all for picking PM's and drafting some really solid guys a little later. But heck, I'm behind Snisher no matter what.

I'll be a little bummed with Mack, though.

I would not be concerned mr. stlouis Fisher would NOT draft a Lb'er who has some issues in his ability to cover deep. But Mack's game is close to the LOS and coming forward.

You might just recall he added three rookie Lbers last yr all ex safeties in Ogletree-Armstrong & Bates. JL is also better than most MLB'er in his ability to cover deep in the secondary.

I also seem to recall that Snead & Fisher have been looking & bringing in LB'ers who have demonstrated the ability on the field to have the speed & far ranging action in the secondary.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the Rams are drafting more than one O lineman this year even if they go O line early.
It makes sense to look at different options. This also builds knowledge about players at different levels. Makes it a better scenario for a trade down.
Moving off of two and drafting, for example, Martin later in the first then Bitonio with an extra second round pick and the injured Thomas in say the fourth round has the makings of a total steal of a draft on the line.
Or staying at two and going BPA whether that is Watkins, Clowney or Mack and address the O line with the 13 th pick is another way to go.
I still think Matthews is the best match for the Rams in terms of skill, team need and the ability to play right away and contribute long term.
I really like Bitonio moving to G in the NFL and I would like the Rams to take a flyer or Thomas even with his injury. I think he was undervalued before he got injured....could be a total steal now if he is drafted later along.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
We only have 1 hole on the Oline right now and that at whichever Guard spot Saffold doesnt play at. From all reports Long should be ready to go game 1 and Barkesdale and Wells have RT and Center on lockdown. People forget about Barrett Jones and Brandon Washington. I know there high on Washington to have kept him around this long and Barrett should be ready to Start or at least back up all 3 interior positions on the line. I dont see them going oline in the first unless they cant trade down and Clowney is off the board then they go Matthews. If they trade down Like the OP said there looking for playmakers. and can get a very good guard and a developmental OT in the 2nd rounds and later which we should have extra picks in after we trade down.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
My dream draft is trade down: pick Matthews and the best CB available in the first round. Pick the best free safety and best guard available in the second.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We only have 1 hole on the Oline right now and that at whichever Guard spot Saffold doesnt play at. From all reports Long should be ready to go game 1 and Barkesdale and Wells have RT and Center on lockdown. People forget about Barrett Jones and Brandon Washington. I know there high on Washington to have kept him around this long and Barrett should be ready to Start or at least back up all 3 interior positions on the line. I dont see them going oline in the first unless they cant trade down and Clowney is off the board then they go Matthews. If they trade down Like the OP said there looking for playmakers. and can get a very good guard and a developmental OT in the 2nd rounds and later which we should have extra picks in after we trade down.

Yes you could be on target here. I would say I disagree solidly with you on your first line though.

No one has discussed Brandon Washington last yr more than me but he is NOT ready to contend for a starting post. They may be high on Brandon but factual evidence would say different . Last season Washington was released early & was not resigned to the Ram roster until several injuries to starting OG took place in the final weeks of the 2013 season. In truth Fisher signed Mike Persons in Brandon's place & it was Persons who was under contract & on the 53 player roster from that point on. Rams OG's for most of the 2013 season was Dahl- Williams- Smith- Saffold- Jones & Persons whereas Brandon Washington was what a Rams 7th in line OG? I would say BW has a good chance of being one of the five or six back up Ol'ers on the 2014 roster.

Having one starting OG who has a injury history like Saffold does not make me comfortable nor should it. Now that it as far as OG's who have seen NFL action. How many OG's did the Rams go through in 2012? How many OG's did the Rams go through in 2013? over a dozen total. Who is going to play OLT in TC and pre season or if JL is not ready for the regular season?? Name me another Ram unit that was destroyed by injuries the last two season more than the OL?

Sure would make me desire to select more ready to play talent OL'ers real early than just mid to later round projects & developmental's ? I fully expect Snead & Fisher to be fully aware of recent Ram OL injury history events @ this point in time.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Yes you could be on target here. I would say I disagree solidly with you on your first line though.

No one has discussed Brandon Washington last yr more than me but he is NOT ready to contend for a starting post. They may be high on Brandon but factual evidence would say different . Last season Washington was released early & was not resigned to the Ram roster until several injuries to starting OG took place in the final weeks of the 2013 season. In truth Fisher signed Mike Persons in Brandon's place & it was Persons who was under contract & on the 53 player roster from that point on. Rams OG's for most of the 2013 season was Dahl- Williams- Smith- Saffold- Jones & Persons whereas Brandon Washington was what a Rams 7th in line OG? I would say BW has a good chance of being one of the five or six back up Ol'ers on the 2014 roster.

Having one starting OG who has a injury history like Saffold does not make me comfortable nor should it. Now that it as far as OG's who have seen NFL action. How many OG's did the Rams go through in 2012? How many OG's did the Rams go through in 2013? over a dozen total. Who is going to play OLT in TC and pre season or if JL is not ready for the regular season?? Name me another Ram unit that was destroyed by injuries the last two season more than the OL?

Sure would make me desire to select more ready to play talent OL'ers real early than just mid to later round projects & developmental's ? I fully expect Snead & Fisher to be fully aware of recent Ram OL injury history events @ this point in time.

I dont advocate wating untill the later rounds to get help on the oline I just dont think they go Oline in the first round, You can get very good guards in the 2nd and 3rd round and I believe we can get a solid developmental OT in the 2nd. With a trade down and an extra second I think they go OT with one of the 2nds and then a guard with the other second or a 3rd rounder. I dont think the feel they must use a top ten pick Just to have insurance for Jake Long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I dont advocate wating untill the later rounds to get help on the oline I just dont think they go Oline in the first round, You can get very good guards in the 2nd and 3rd round and I believe we can get a solid developmental OT in the 2nd. With a trade down and an extra second I think they go OT with one of the 2nds and then a guard with the other second or a 3rd rounder. I dont think the feel they must use a top ten pick Just to have insurance for Jake Long.

Sorry about that misreading event...the "I dont see them going oline in the first" just got hung up in my very small brain cell. :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd bet money that we will pick two offensive lineman in this draft, which certainly doesn't go against the Rams philosophy of fixing units one at a time. Where they pick them? I don't know that part. My guess right now is that they will pick Matthews. I won't put a number on it, because I don't know where they will pick him. For instance, I predicted that we would pick Ogletree last year, but we got him way lower than I thought we would.