Rams Must Play Gap-Sound Run Defense on Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.therams.com/news/with-b...ams-must-play-gap-sound-run-defense-on-sunday

With Broncos Offensive Strengths, Rams Must Play Gap-Sound Run Defense on Sunday

All week, the prominent conversation surrounding the Rams’ defense has centered on the unit’s ability to stop the run.

Making it clear he was speaking for himself and not necessarily using language the team had discussed, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh said the club’s run defense had been “terrible” over the last couple weeks.

“I think our terrible run defense over the last two weeks is primarily due to our own stuff,” Suh said. “Give credit where credit is due — Seattle has great running backs … But at the end of the day, it came down to us not being disciplined, not making the correct plays — especially when you go back and look at the film. And, really, all we have to do is go back to the basics. Tackle, first and foremost, and be where we’re supposed to be.”

When Suh says “be where we’re supposed to be,” that’s a reference to playing gap-sound football. One of the most important aspects of trying to stop the run is having each defender plug the proper gap. So when the defense lines up, each player must know if he has the gap between the center and guard, the guard and tackle, and so forth.

And if players aren’t where they’re supposed to be — as in, trying to make a play in the gap between the guard and tackle instead of just staying home between the guard and center — that’s when long runs can break off.

That’s what the defensive personnel focused on this week when answering questions about the lackluster run defense — which is ranked No. 29 in surrendering 5.0 yards per carry. Sure, everyone wants to make a stop. But defense has to be about all 11 playing the same scheme at the same time.

“Well, that's pretty much with everybody. We just tell them, 'Hey, play the defense called. Don't play 3-4 [defense] on your own,’” coordinator Wade Phillips said “Guys want to make plays. You've got to trust the guys on your team. You've got to trust the calls and trust the guys on your team. If everybody does their job, then you can do yours better. So, that's always been the philosophy in football.”

“Honestly, I just think everyone has to do their job,” safety John Johnson said. “I think a lot of us try to do too much, where we expect a lot out of ourselves. So I think if everyone stays in their gap and just does each individual job, we’ll be fine.”

“So that’s all it is — little mistakes that’s going to get fixed, that’s fixed now,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “So we’re itching to get back on that field to show the adjustments we’ve had and the way we’re supposed to play.”

And it’s paramount for the defense to make those adjustments this week because of the upcoming opponent. Denver is No. 3 in rushing this season with 685 yards on the ground — averaging a league-leading 5.6 yards per attempt. They have two rookies in third-round pick Royce Freeman and the undrafted Phillip Lindsay who have been quite effective through five games. Lindsay actually leads the club with 328 yards rushing on 57 carries — good for an average of 5.8 yards per attempt.

“They have one of the younger backs [Lindsay] that likes to run in-between the tackles, but also can get to the edge very fast,” Suh said “Another one [Freeman] that’s a little bit similar to what we played last week is very downhill, running tough between the tackles. So we’ve got our work cut out for us.”

“They run the ball. They run the ball hard. They can hurt us if we let them,” Donald said. “So that’s our main focus is stopping the run. And if we do that, then we’ll get after the quarterback. So our main focus is just stopping the run first.”

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
The 1 flaw in 99s game, he is so quick and determined on making a play that he runs past the play . He can easily fix this and I expect him to hold his block a little longer this week.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
The 1 flaw in 99s game, he is so quick and determined on making a play that he runs past the play . He can easily fix this and I expect him to hold his block a little longer this week.

Yeah I've been seeing this too. Sometimes he's back there with the play going past him. I don't know about a flaw, I've seen other top players get tangled like this over the years on some plays. Sometimes it's a guess or an instict that doesn't pay off. We know he likes to disrupt, get in the backfield and blow up a play. But sometimes the play is designed to go away from where he penetrates. Looks like a mess of bodies sometimes. But that's where the team D and familiarity/communication with the other players comes in, to account for a player leaving his spot. Since this unit has a few new players in it from last year they're still trying to gel. I know that's the general excuse but there's some truth to it.

Ram65

Legend
Seemed like everything was going wrong against the Hags. Sometimes they just lined up to the wrong side of where the ball carrier was going. That would be both the LBers and D Lineman. The D Lineman have to stay in their lanes and hold up the offensive lineman and shed the block to get to the runner. The LBers have to make tackles and not miss. Have to give some credit to the Hags blocking and running.

Last edited:

F. Mulder

Starter
I definitely think gap control is a main issue but what really stood out to me in several different games, especially so in the Seattle game, was the poor tackling overall and the inability to stop forward momentum. I get that some of these guys are downhill runners and obviously strong, but when you have a DL and a LB both wrapping him up he needs to stop going forward at the least, and probably should end up going backwards. Instead I see him falling forward while being tackled. Generally the tackling has been very suspect as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like that Suh isn't mincing words here. The defense has been disappointing, they know it, and he isn't just throwing out canned responses.

Man...if this defense can come together and get more stops our offense might average 40 ppg.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

AD isn't supposed to hold his block. In this scheme, he's responsible for one gap. If he beats his man and gets upfield, he's usually going to be doing his job. The HB might be able to win through another gap, but that's not on AD. Wade doesn't want him occupying or holding up blockers. AD's job is to disrupt.

fearsomefour

Legend
Seemed like everything was going wrong against the Hags. Sometimes they just lined up to the wrong side of where the ball carrier was going. That would be both the LBers and D Lineman. The D Lineman have to stay in their lanes and hold up the offensive lineman and shed the block to get to the runner. The LBers have to make tackles and not miss. Have to give some credit to the Hags blocking and running.
And a lot of missed tackles bs Seattle, particularly the LBs.
A lot of 2 to 4 yards runs that turned into 8-10 yard runs because of broken tackles.

fearsomefour

Legend
AD isn't supposed to hold his block. In this scheme, he's responsible for one gap. If he beats his man and gets upfield, he's usually going to be doing his job. The HB might be able to win through another gap, but that's not on AD. Wade doesn't want him occupying or holding up blockers. AD's job is to disrupt.
Amen to this.
He has the ability to hold his gap but that isn't his job.
You wouldn't have Tony Gonzales in to block most of the time.
You let a Ferrari race man.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Currently the Rams' opponent 3rd down conversion is at 47%, 3rd worst in the league.

This is legitimately the only situations where i feel fan stress on gamedays. 3rd down on defense. We have far too much talent for that.

When you have an offense like ours that is shredding defenses and threatening to score on every possession it's frustrating to watch whats going on with our D not getting teams off the field. Obviously Talib's absence is affecting our secondary, as well as not having Barron in there to help stabilize the middle but i don't think the problem is just having guys out or guys who are playing hurt(Peters).

I'm a defensive guy so fuck off ya fuckers....:redcard: sorry, i mean i love great defense.
As a fan i'm just as entertained by a 13-3 win as i am a 35-24 win but i'm more satisfied with the former type of performance. You're killing me on 3rd down Rams.

Get em off the fucking field Wade!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
https://www.therams.com/news/with-b...ams-must-play-gap-sound-run-defense-on-sunday

With Broncos Offensive Strengths, Rams Must Play Gap-Sound Run Defense on Sunday

All week, the prominent conversation surrounding the Rams’ defense has centered on the unit’s ability to stop the run.

Making it clear he was speaking for himself and not necessarily using language the team had discussed, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh said the club’s run defense had been “terrible” over the last couple weeks.

“I think our terrible run defense over the last two weeks is primarily due to our own stuff,” Suh said. “Give credit where credit is due — Seattle has great running backs … But at the end of the day, it came down to us not being disciplined, not making the correct plays — especially when you go back and look at the film. And, really, all we have to do is go back to the basics. Tackle, first and foremost, and be where we’re supposed to be.”

When Suh says “be where we’re supposed to be,” that’s a reference to playing gap-sound football. One of the most important aspects of trying to stop the run is having each defender plug the proper gap. So when the defense lines up, each player must know if he has the gap between the center and guard, the guard and tackle, and so forth.

And if players aren’t where they’re supposed to be — as in, trying to make a play in the gap between the guard and tackle instead of just staying home between the guard and center — that’s when long runs can break off.

That’s what the defensive personnel focused on this week when answering questions about the lackluster run defense — which is ranked No. 29 in surrendering 5.0 yards per carry. Sure, everyone wants to make a stop. But defense has to be about all 11 playing the same scheme at the same time.

“Well, that's pretty much with everybody. We just tell them, 'Hey, play the defense called. Don't play 3-4 [defense] on your own,’” coordinator Wade Phillips said “Guys want to make plays. You've got to trust the guys on your team. You've got to trust the calls and trust the guys on your team. If everybody does their job, then you can do yours better. So, that's always been the philosophy in football.”

“Honestly, I just think everyone has to do their job,” safety John Johnson said. “I think a lot of us try to do too much, where we expect a lot out of ourselves. So I think if everyone stays in their gap and just does each individual job, we’ll be fine.”

“So that’s all it is — little mistakes that’s going to get fixed, that’s fixed now,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said. “So we’re itching to get back on that field to show the adjustments we’ve had and the way we’re supposed to play.”

And it’s paramount for the defense to make those adjustments this week because of the upcoming opponent. Denver is No. 3 in rushing this season with 685 yards on the ground — averaging a league-leading 5.6 yards per attempt. They have two rookies in third-round pick Royce Freeman and the undrafted Phillip Lindsay who have been quite effective through five games. Lindsay actually leads the club with 328 yards rushing on 57 carries — good for an average of 5.8 yards per attempt.

“They have one of the younger backs [Lindsay] that likes to run in-between the tackles, but also can get to the edge very fast,” Suh said “Another one [Freeman] that’s a little bit similar to what we played last week is very downhill, running tough between the tackles. So we’ve got our work cut out for us.”

“They run the ball. They run the ball hard. They can hurt us if we let them,” Donald said. “So that’s our main focus is stopping the run. And if we do that, then we’ll get after the quarterback. So our main focus is just stopping the run first.”

If it's as easy as maintaining gap integrity, why has it continued to go on ???

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
..........but what really stood out to me in several different games, especially so in the Seattle game, was the poor tackling overall and the inability to stop forward momentum. I get that some of these guys are downhill runners and obviously strong, but when you have a DL and a LB both wrapping him up he needs to stop going forward at the least, and probably should end up going backwards. Instead I see him falling forward while being tackled. Generally the tackling has been very suspect as well.

I'm with you and @fearsomefour the tackling has been for shit and that's the biggest problem IMO.

Too many stops that look like stops and end up being 7 yard runs. They aren't wrapping up they are trying hit "hit tackle" and knock guys down and that is a bad plan.

Man...if this defense can come together and get more stops our offense might average 40 ppg.

They could do that just by having someone stand next to McVay when the Rams are in the red zone and yell "GIVE IT TO #30 SEAN!!!!!" .

I like that Suh isn't mincing words here. The defense has been disappointing, they know it, and he isn't just throwing out canned responses.

I'm guessing that it's beyond them knowing that they have been a bit of a letdown, I think they may even be slightly embarrassed about it considering all the hype coming into the season. I've been waiting for it all to click and am still waiting..........

As a fan i'm just as entertained by a 13-3 win as i am a 35-24 win but i'm more satisfied with the former type of performance.

I watched the Browns v. Ravens game and loved it. Sometimes the low scoring games grip you because the tension increases possession after possession.

However I do not want to see that with my Rams LOL.