Rams make tender offers to restricted FA's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Davis was not a good starting QB but he's young, knows the system, and is at least good enough to get a shot to make the team in Training camp...

Even if he turns out to be nothing more than a camp arm, pretty sure that's not a guaranteed contract, so why not?

Pretty sure it's the same deal as last year for Davis. Not guaranteed

Yea, not guaranteed but it's money that could be used elsewhere.

I guess I just assumed if they wanted him back, they could get him back for the veteran minimum. Maybe they know some other teams hold him in higher regard than I do.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wonder if it's hard not to tender Davis when we don't know if Hill will be back or not... or even if Bradford will be back. I guess we had to tender Hill. Sadly, Rams were not set up well going into this FA market with all the injuries.

jjab360

Legend
Yea, not guaranteed but it's money that could be used elsewhere.

I guess I just assumed if they wanted him back, they could get him back for the veteran minimum. Maybe they know some other teams hold him in higher regard than I do.
Purely looking at his stats last year: 2,001 yards, 63.4 CMP%, 7.05 YPA, 12 TD, 9 Int, behind a bad O-line throwing to average at best receivers, I'm sure there would be a couple of teams that would think he could make at least a decent backup.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Purely looking at his stats last year: 2,001 yards, 63.4 CMP%, 7.05 YPA, 12 TD, 9 Int, behind a bad O-line throwing to average at best receivers, I'm sure there would be a couple of teams that would think he could make at least a decent backup.
Until they find out the heartache some of those picks really caused.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Decent enough not to beat out one of the worst Centers in the league. (EDIT: I'm not completely against him as a reserve, but I'm not losing any sleep at the moment. If we bring him back cheap, so be it.)

Jones gets a little time because of his 'injury' and all, but I'm not holding my breath...and this is coming from a guy who liked him in the 5th round when we got him.

I'm sure C and OG are getting a lot of thought and attention at the moment.

Plus the coaches supposedly liked Rhaney. At worst, he would be a cheaper Barnes. Plus Barnes had one position and didn't improve enough to be a starter over what? Was it 3 years? Eternal backup, so why pay him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have no problem with any of those moves. The only one that remotely bothers me is McLeod, because I'd hate to see some team poach him and all of us having to endure more "miscommunications" next year in the secondary. Would be nice to know these guys are gonna take up right where they left off last year.

Anyway it's good to see they think a lot of Jones, so here's hoping he's that positive surprise in this upcoming camp. And at center as well for that matter.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't like that they offered Hill or davis Contracts. I thought they wanted to get better. Both of the suck

jjab360

Legend
I don't like that they offered Hill or davis Contracts. I thought they wanted to get better. Both of the suck
Take a look at the FA market and then take a look at the draft after Winston and Mariota. Maybe they can get better, but it's not going to be by much and it's not going to be with someone who knows the system like they do.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Makes no sense unless they aren't going to draft a QB. Or none of the money is guaranteed.

I don't like that because we are basically screwing him over if we cut him. I expected Hill to sign for that much, wow. Now I really hope Hill walks.

All arrows are pointing towards 2014 redo... (n)....

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Take a look at the FA market and then take a look at the draft after Winston and Mariota. Maybe they can get better, but it's not going to be by much and it's not going to be with someone who knows the system like they do.

I think this is the answer to @jrry32's question, "why?". I'd guess this is purely about protecting the team in the event that FA and the draft don't go as planned. Fisher and Snead don't strike me as the types to reach for a QB in the draft because of need or to overpay for one in FA or in a trade. Tendering Davis simply leaves all options open even if they aren't particularly appealing options.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I'd guess this is purely about protecting the team in the event that FA and the draft don't go as planned. Fisher and Snead don't strike me as the types to reach for a QB in the draft because of need or to overpay for one in FA or in a trade. Tendering Davis simply leaves all options open even if they aren't particularly appealing options.
I agree with you on Davis. Given his age and experience even the most hardened cynic would have to admit his chances of improving are at least not absolute 0%. So he's a dirt cheap last resort.

Hill, on the other hand, makes zero sense. We know 100% what he is, he's older than dirt and will not improve but only get worse, and we know the Rams cannot win with him. Bringing him back is the definition of insanity that genius guy once said of doing the same thing over expecting different results. I personally think this is a crock of a cop out, it's saying "if SB goes down let's shoot for 7-9 again and hope we don't get fired". Screw that, if they are foolishly gonna blow a couple million, at least do it on one of the other crappy free agent QBs that maybe has a 1% chance of a crazy unexpected result of winning.

lockdnram21

Legend
Jeff Fisher is trying to get fired . If thats the best he can d he probaly will be unemployed after this season

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
- S Rodney McLeod tendered at second-round level ($2.356 million). Rams will get a 2nd-rounder if they chose not to match an outside offer.
This may seem like a stupid question, but, IDK, If Mcleod goes elsewhere is that 2nd round pick in 2015 or 2016!?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Something is just so wrong with this, on all levels.....

I have no problem with any of those moves. The only one that remotely bothers me is McLeod, because I'd hate to see some team poach him and all of us having to endure more "miscommunications" next year in the secondary. Would be nice to know these guys are gonna take up right where they left off last year.
The McLeod part is the only thing thats got me upset...Who's crazy enough to send us a 2nd for him?

For McLeod to get poached another team would give up a 2nd round pick. There's pretty much no chance of that happening.
Hey, Fatbot, stop killing my dreams of a TJ & Mark B safety duo....seriously cramping my Saturday morning...

This is the worst news of the whole week....Can we still cut this guy if Mo & Mark improve? $2 million for Rodney McLeod...?!? I can't believe my sister made my nephew quit playing football cause she thought he was too small...

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This may seem like a stupid question, but, IDK, If Mcleod goes elsewhere is that 2nd round pick in 2015 or 2016!?
I believe it would be a 2015 pick, but I'm not 100% sure.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I wonder if it's hard not to tender Davis when we don't know if Hill will be back or not... or even if Bradford will be back. I guess we had to tender Hill. Sadly, Rams were not set up well going into this FA market with all the injuries.

You said it brother...Bradford has us over a barrel...Injuries have not been good to us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Harkey isn't a game breaker or anything, but this draft sucks for TE's, and he's our best blocker. I hope he stays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Harkey isn't a game breaker or anything, but this draft sucks for TE's, and he's our best blocker. I hope he stays.
He is too. Schotty just wasn't using him properly.
th_hidetb0.gif