Rams make tender offers to restricted FA's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
via Jim Thomas (@jthom1) on Twitter

- Rams not making tender offer to C/G Tim Barnes, the Mizzou product who's a restricted free agent. That makes Barnes a free agent Tuesday; Rams could try to re-sign him after that for cheaper rate.

- S Rodney McLeod tendered at second-round level ($2.356 million). Rams will get a 2nd-rounder if they chose not to match an outside offer.

- FB/TE Cory Harkey and QB Austin Davis both tendered at minimum level. ($1.542 million). Rams get matching rights but no compensation if Harkey and Davis end up elsewhere.

-Rams have made tender offers to exclusive rights free agents Chase Reynolds (special teams standout) and Brandon Washington (OL). The tender offer to the exclusive rights free agents (less than 3 years experience) mean they must play for Rams, or not play at all.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In other news: Rams have made contract offer to QB Shaun Hill; negotiations ongoing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks for the updates.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Good on McCleod, but even so, I sure wish we could get a ball-hawk to play that safety, someone with a bit more height and reach and speed . . . It's not necessarily a weak spot, but I wish we could find a poor-man's Ed Reed, or the second coming of Nolan Cromwell.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Why not tender Barnes? He seemed to be one of the decent reserves we did have.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
via Jim Thomas (@jthom1) on Twitter

- Rams not making tender offer to C/G Tim Barnes, the Mizzou product who's a restricted free agent. That makes Barnes a free agent Tuesday; Rams could try to re-sign him after that for cheaper rate.

- S Rodney McLeod tendered at second-round level ($2.356 million). Rams will get a 2nd-rounder if they chose not to match an outside offer.

- FB/TE Cory Harkey and QB Austin Davis both tendered at minimum level. ($1.542 million). Rams get matching rights but no compensation if Harkey and Davis end up elsewhere.

-Rams have made tender offers to exclusive rights free agents Chase Reynolds (special teams standout) and Brandon Washington (OL). The tender offer to the exclusive rights free agents (less than 3 years experience) mean they must play for Rams, or not play at all.

Why?

Rainram

Starter
Why not tender Barnes? He seemed to be one of the decent reserves we did have.

Decent enough not to beat out one of the worst Centers in the league. (EDIT: I'm not completely against him as a reserve, but I'm not losing any sleep at the moment. If we bring him back cheap, so be it.)

Jones gets a little time because of his 'injury' and all, but I'm not holding my breath...and this is coming from a guy who liked him in the 5th round when we got him.

I'm sure C and OG are getting a lot of thought and attention at the moment.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Good on McCleod, but even so, I sure wish we could get a ball-hawk to play that safety, someone with a bit more height and reach and speed . . . It's not necessarily a weak spot, but I wish we could find a poor-man's Ed Reed, or the second coming of Nolan Cromwell.

Not that I don't love big hitters, but we really haven't had anyone in the secondary that can cause a lot of turnovers since Atogwe. I want at least one guy to roam back there with a nose for the ball.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm glad we tendered McLeod at a decent price. I think he's a very solid FS and has the ability to get better as he learns. We could probably upgrade, but for that price, I have no problem sticking with him.

jjab360

Legend
Davis was not a good starting QB but he's young, knows the system, and is at least good enough to get a shot to make the team in Training camp...

Even if he turns out to be nothing more than a camp arm, pretty sure that's not a guaranteed contract, so why not?

RamBill

Legend
From Rotoworld:
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Tim Barnes - C - Free Agent

The Rams did not tender restricted free agent C Tim Barnes.
Barnes was overmatched in four 2013 starts, and didn't start a game last season as Scott Wells stayed healthy. Even with Wells on the chopping block, the Rams were unwilling to pay Barnes the $1.54 million lowest-possible tender.

Austin Davis - QB - Rams

Rams extended tenders to restricted free agents QB Austin Davis and FB/TE Cory Harkey.
Both players were given the original pick tender. Davis made eight starts last year before getting benched for Shaun Hill in Week 11. Harkey should return as the Rams' No. 2 tight end behind Jared Cook.

Rodney McLeod - DB - Rams

Rams extended a second-round tender to FS Rodney McLeod.
McLeod started all 16 games last season, registering 72 tackles and two interceptions. He graded out as PFF's No. 45 safety out of 87 qualifiers. The second-round tender is a one-year deal worth $2.356 million.