Rams like do-it-all prospect Scherff/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You don't pass on Cooper if he's there. You just don't. That's the type of move that you regret.
I'm just not sure he is THAT kind of receiver. Maybe he is but I haven't had much time to check out draft prospects as of yet. I wasn't really impressed with him in the games I did see - at least not the way I am with many receivers over the years.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm just not sure he is THAT kind of receiver. Maybe he is but I haven't had much time to check out draft prospects as of yet. I wasn't really impressed with him in the games I did see - at least not the way I am with many receivers over the years.

He's Big Game reincarnated. I haven't seen a better route runner since Holt and Bruce. He's annihilated NFL-bound cornerbacks over the years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's Big Game reincarnated. I haven't seen a better route runner since Holt and Bruce. He's annihilated NFL-bound cornerbacks over the years.
Not going to argue against it. As I said, I haven't watched many of the prospects this year if they weren't playing for or against the Ducks or Beavs. I'm all for BPA as long as it immediately upgrades our team. I just really want to see us have a nasty ass O-line. If a receiver is all that, I wouldn't be upset if we took him. I only saw two games with Cooper in them and I really just didn't see the amazing, must have receiver there.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Not going to argue against it. As I said, I haven't watched many of the prospects this year if they weren't playing for or against the Ducks or Beavs. I'm all for BPA as long as it immediately upgrades our team. I just really want to see us have a nasty ass O-line. If a receiver is all that, I wouldn't be upset if we took him. I only saw two games with Cooper in them and I really just didn't see the amazing, must have receiver there.

Which games did you see?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't even remember but they were near the end of the season. I know one of them was the game against Ohio.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He is, my friend. Gotta trust me on this one. He gave Vernon Hargreaves absolute fits and Hargreaves would be a top 5 pick if he came out this year. He's the best CB prospect since Peterson...maybe even better than PP. And Cooper had his way with him.

Cooper is a scary combination of route running, athleticism, and YAC ability. Fast enough to burn CBs with his speed, smooth enough to embarrass guys with his routes, and talented enough to create a lot of yardage after the catch.

He's what RFIP wanted Sammy Watkins to be. ;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He's what RFIP wanted Sammy Watkins to be. ;)
Well OK then. Ha! Like I said, I wouldn't be whining about it if we took him. At that point I would really be hoping you and Mem are right about him. I could stand to see a superstar WR wearing horns again. I think we could all get used to THAT.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I may. But if I watched a bunch of tape on these prospects, why would I need you guys. :D

Who knows? Maybe you won't need us. But it's still nice to hear other opinions.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Memento-Why do you not like him so much? You must see something I don't. Guy seems like a really good player and plays pretty nasty, which we need.
EDIT: Never mind I now see your earlier reply. I don't agree with you but we shall see.

Okay!!! I officially have a man-crush on Scherff after watching that clip!!!

That was fantastic. He locks on, drives and you notice how after a guy goes down, he falls on them. That adds up over the course of a game. He takes the game TO a defense. Guy is clearly TOUGH.

Now, did he or has he had a bad game(s)? Probably. Even HoF players have had bad games, so I'm not going to ignore the immense talent of this young man over that. But the tape is undeniable. The guy's got GREAT footwork. He makes GREAT decisions (as opposed to GRob who has a ways to go in that department) and when it comes to run blocking...

I dunno if I've EVER had more FUN watching a guy run block before. Holy COW. He's big, NASTY, plays with attitude and gets to the next level in a HURRY.

I almost want the big WRs to go early so that the Rams make sure to get Scherff because I think he's a sure thing at the next level.

I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is the time of year for that...

Edit: I'd still take either Cooper or White if they were on the board... just making that clear, but I'd bet all my ROD bucks that by 10, neither will be, so if the Rams at 10 and decide to stand pat, I'd be stoked with Scherff.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Okay!!! I officially have a man-crush on Scherff after watching that clip!!!

That was fantastic. He locks on, drives and you notice how after a guy goes down, he falls on them. That adds up over the course of a game. He takes the game TO a defense. Guy is clearly TOUGH.

Now, did he or has he had a bad game(s)? Probably. Even HoF players have had bad games, so I'm not going to ignore the immense talent of this young man over that. But the tape is undeniable. The guy's got GREAT footwork. He makes GREAT decisions (as opposed to GRob who has a ways to go in that department) and when it comes to run blocking...

I dunno if I've EVER had more FUN watching a guy run block before. Holy COW. He's big, NASTY, plays with attitude and gets to the next level in a HURRY.

I almost want the big WRs to go early so that the Rams make sure to get Scherff because I think he's a sure thing at the next level.

I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is the time of year for that...

Everyone looks good when you only post their highlight reel. While he has great footwork in the running game, while he does have excellent straight line speed, while he does get to the next level in a hurry, while he does have decent fundamentals, and while he will get drafted highly, I've seen him enough times as a pass-protector to know that his blocking just isn't there when the quarterback needs him most.

If I'm taking a guard at number ten overall, I want to make damned sure that he can do everything you could ever want him to do. I want someone like Larry Warford or Will Shields or Steve Hutchinson.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Who knows? Maybe you won't need us. But it's still nice to hear other opinions.
Don't you know my MO by now? I just sit back and take pot shots and cherry pick at everyone else's opinions and act like I've got an informed one. I know it's nothing rare or unusual on the internet but it is much easier and less time consuming. :D

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I want a tough, mauling OG who can be taught and coached and will show up on the field.

Scherff seems like he can be coached up in the pass game. If Iowa seems to have one caveat is that they aren't the best coming out at pass pro. Not that they can't BE good at pass pro, but they may need some work.

What I liked is that once he locked on to a guy... he stayed LOCKED. In pass pro. That's great. Too many guys never get to that spot. Ever, ever, ever.

And his run blocking tape ALREADY puts him in the top half of the league. As a rookie. Dood's a damned beast.

Could I be totally wrong? Sure.

But I don't get the Robert Gallery comparisons at all. Maybe that's just me.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Don't you know my MO by now? I just sit back and take pot shots and cherry pick at everyone else's opinions and act like I've got an informed one. I know it's nothing rare or unusual on the internet but it is much easier and less time consuming. :D

And you make sauce that turns ribs and chicken into crack...

55454282.jpg

Memento

Name
Jemma
I want a tough, mauling OG who can be taught and coached and will show up on the field.

Scherff seems like he can be coached up in the pass game. If Iowa seems to have one caveat is that they aren't the best coming out at pass pro. Not that they can't BE good at pass pro, but they may need some work.

What I liked is that once he locked on to a guy... he stayed LOCKED. In pass pro. That's great. Too many guys never get to that spot. Ever, ever, ever.

And his run blocking tape ALREADY puts him in the top half of the league. As a rookie. Dood's a damned beast.

Could I be totally wrong? Sure.

But I don't get the Robert Gallery comparisons at all. Maybe that's just me.

He stays locked, but you can't coach him out of being top-heavy. You can't coach him out of waist-bending. You can't coach up lateral agility. From what I've seen on all of the tapes I've watched, he lacks that in spades.

The Gallery comparison comes because Gallery was also a left tackle at Iowa who was forced to move to guard because of his atrocious pass-protection skills. Like Gallery, Scherff is also a great straight-line athlete who can get to the second level in the running game. Like Gallery, Scherff struggled mightily with fast and/or powerful defensive ends.

And again, if I'm taking a guard in the top fifteen (which is where Scherff will likely land), I want to make damn sure that he can already do everything in college and not hope for the best that porous run-blocking/pass-protection will automatically improve once he moves to guard. Hence, I would only take someone like Warford, Shields, or Hutchinson - guards who had already proved themselves adept at everything and had dominated every opponent who was below their talent level.

If you want a tough, mauling OG, then La'el Collins would not be a bad choice in the slightest...but you'd have to trade out of the top fifteen for him. Or take A.J. Cann in the second round, who can also double as a center.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think the Giants are going to grab Collins at 9.

With Victor Cruz coming back and ODB blowing up last year, I think they want that OL to be fixed so that they can really work that vertical game and that OL has been giving them fits the last few years. I'd be surprised if they didn't grab Collins, actually.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think the Giants are going to grab Collins at 9.

With Victor Cruz coming back and ODB blowing up last year, I think they want that OL to be fixed so that they can really work that vertical game and that OL has been giving them fits the last few years. I'd be surprised if they didn't grab Collins, actually.

I think that they'll nab Amari Cooper if he falls to them. Him or Scherff or Peat. Collins struggled in the Combine.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He stays locked, but you can't coach him out of being top-heavy. You can't coach him out of waist-bending. You can't coach up lateral agility. From what I've seen on all of the tapes I've watched, he lacks that in spades.

The Gallery comparison comes because Gallery was also a left tackle at Iowa who was forced to move to guard because of his atrocious pass-protection skills. Like Gallery, Scherff is also a great straight-line athlete who can get to the second level in the running game. Like Gallery, Scherff struggled mightily with fast and/or powerful defensive ends.

And again, if I'm taking a guard in the top fifteen (which is where Scherff will likely land), I want to make damn sure that he can already do everything in college and not hope for the best that porous run-blocking/pass-protection will automatically improve once he moves to guard. Hence, I would only take someone like Warford, Shields, or Hutchinson - guards who had already proved themselves adept at everything and had dominated every opponent who was below their talent level.

If you want a tough, mauling OG, then La'el Collins would not be a bad choice in the slightest...but you'd have to trade out of the top fifteen for him. Or take A.J. Cann in the second round, who can also double as a center.

This is where I have a hard time with your critique. We're all fans and have an opinion and that's great. Yet, what you're saying goes against every "expert" opinion I've read or listened to. Just about everyone has him as the #1 rated lineman in the draft. Again I think you are wrong but we will find out in due time.

jjab360

Legend
This is where I have a hard time with your critique. We're all fans and have an opinion and that's great. Yet, what you're saying goes against every "expert" opinion I've read or listened to. Just about everyone has him as the #1 rated lineman in the draft. Again I think you are wrong but we will find out in due time.
I disagree with his opinion on Scherff, but honestly I prefer to hear the outlier opinions than just hearing the same thing over again. The experts have gotten it wrong plenty of times on prospects which even the layman could find serious faults with. Jason Smith for example was not a very popular pick at the time despite being deemed the "best OT" in the draft that year. Or at least he wasn't very popular in my household check the chipped TV and broken remote control for proof. :mad:

I appreciate the original thinking even if Memento is wrong about this one. ;)