Rams Interested in OLB Junior Galette?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Could be worth a flier, but I worry about his past injuries!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Ive clamored for this guy for a while. He would be a huge get and pretty cheap at this point in FA. He had his best years playing for DL Bill Johnson and at least would give the Rams a good situational rusher. He was one of the best per snap pass rusher last year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This Edge Rusher proclaims to be an elite pass rusher.........His His injury history tops Dom Easley easily.He had injury history and character concerns when he came out of college not much has changed.

On August 26,2015, it was announced that he tore his Achilles tendon during practice and would miss the entire 2015 season. He was officially placed on injured reserve on August 31. On November 16, 2015, Galette was suspended for two weeks for violating the league's personal conduct policy, coming from the domestic violence incident back in January. It was announced on July 25 that Galette tore his right Achilles tendon and missed the entire 2016 season.

A single year contract close to that of Easley might be considered.

I'd rather keep Barwin, similar player without the injury history

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
He was on my pre free agency wants list. He was very good before his injuries. He may not have the same get off with two Achilles, but he should be cheap and it won’t hurt to bring him in and check him out.

McVay and company know a lot more about these guys than we do. People assume "lose Watkins and Reynolds next man up," but we don't know if McVay sees that in him. Maybe he does, but a 180 and drafting a WR in round one would make sense, too.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Maybe the Ram's pickup Junior Galette, and maybe they don't. But I do trust McVay and his assistants in whom they bring in. And remember whoever they bring in they still have to pass a physical.

But I can guarantee you that they have a list of ones they are interested in, and there may be someone signed that we hear nothing about until he's signed just like Ramik Wilson. All we are hearing about is just one of those they are interested in.

Ram65

Legend
This article was posted before on another thread before the Quinn trade. It got me thinking he would be a less good inexpensive alternative.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-him-test-free-agency/?utm_term=.3a8b6a67f233

'I consider myself elite': Pass rusher Junior Galette expects Redskins to let him test free agency

By Scott Allen February 15 Email the author
Galette told 106.7 The Fan’s Danny Rouhier and Craig Hoffman this week. “But speaking to my agent, Drew Rosenhaus … he just basically said they’re pretty much gonna let me test free agency, because I’m pretty sure that if it was the other way around, I think they would have offered me a deal and nothing has been offered. There’s nothing else left for me to believe but they want me to test free agency.”

The Redskins took a chance on Galette during the 2015 offseason, signing him for the league minimum after New Orleans released him because of his off-field troubles, including a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed. Galette’s regular season debut with the Redskins was delayed two years after he suffered season-ending Achilles’ injuries in consecutive summers. After registering 22 sacks over his final two years with the Saints, Galette had three sacks in 16 games for Washington last season.

Galette, 29, told 106.7 The Fan he still has a lot left in the tank and that his sack total last season didn’t tell the entire story of his effectiveness. Rouhier mentioned a recent tweet from NFL.com’s Matt Harmon, who shared the top 12 pass-rushers in 2017 based on pressure rate among players who had at least 200 pass-rush plays. Redskins linebacker Preston Smith, who had eight sacks last season, ranked first at 15.9 percent. Galette ranked third at 15.1 percent. Ryan Kerrigan, who led Washington with 13 sacks, ranked 10th (13.4 percent).

View image on Twitter

Matt Harmon

✔@MattHarmon_BYB

Top-12 pressure rates this season among defenders who had 200+ pass rush plays per #NextGenStats

“I consider myself elite,” Galette said. “You look at the numbers, it is what it is. I don’t care what you tell me. I had back-to-back [double-digit sack years] in New Orleans. I think only four players were during that span and I was on pace, had a promising career. I still do, I feel like, but pass rush is so relative. There are so many things and other variables that play into pass rush, so if you just look at my [stats] and it says that I’m top-three in the win percentage and the sacks don’t match, okay, so you look at the tape and you’re like, ‘Wait, how come the sacks don’t match?’ Well, maybe this guy deserves more playing time. If you give me more playing time, that’s how it works. In ’13, I had I think 800 snaps in New Orleans, in ’14 I think I had 750. In both those years, [I had] double-digit sacks. It just is what it is. That’s just how pass-rush goes. You need the opportunities. If I had made all the sacks that I missed — about eight or nine this year — I’d have double-digit sacks, but that’s almost impossible to do. … I feel like as long as you’re disrupting the quarterback, then you show that you’re really effective in just how promising that you are with getting after the quarterback.”

Galette played 411 defensive snaps last season, according to Football Outsiders. Kerrigan and Smith played 822 and 756, respectively. Ryan Anderson, who will almost certainly factor more into Washington’s defensive game plans next season, played 195 defensive snaps as a rookie. Galette said he remains “really thankful” that former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan gave him an opportunity in 2015 and then brought him back on one-year deals in each of the last two seasons.

“I think it’s a great organization on the come-up,” Galette said. “I feel like they made a strong move in getting a quarterback in Alex Smith, and getting somebody at that position that’s just definite, having someone stable there as opposed to just the going back and forth. I think it’s a pretty good thing for the team in general. The Redskins are headed in the right direction, I want to be here, but like I said, it’s not up to me.”

Returning to Washington, Galette said, would “of course” be his first choice.

“We just have to wait and kind of see,” Galette said. “… I see a lot of fans on my social media, like, ‘Hey, you’ve gotta stick with the Redskins. Go sign your deal.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, there’s no offer on the table.’ I can’t just pick up a pen. It doesn’t work like that.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected that he had more pressures than Quinn. He had a higher percentage rate of pressures. Outside of Suh the Rams are not spending the big money on free agents. There just aren't many alternatives for edge rushers that are on less expensive side. He is a another year away from injury so he could show a little more quickness. For the amount of snaps he played he showed solid production. He also was listed as Rightside OLB like Quinn.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Didn't this guy get caught on tape beating the shit out of his girlfriend with a belt? I'm ok with a certain amount of assholes on a defense, but this might be a step too far.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No thanks to this wife-beater. Let the Browns have him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

…..

Legend
True.
About a lot more than just passrush.

Despite that, I will give you that he has value...and at the back half of the season he seemed to have an uncanny ability to be in the right places.

Mostly, we just need him to stumble into and gather up the QB's that somehow manage to get away from the rest of our guys.

fearsomefour

Legend
Despite that, I will give you that he has value...and at the back half of the season he seemed to have an uncanny ability to be in the right places.

Mostly, we just need him to stumble into and gather up the QB's that somehow manage to get away from the rest of our guys.
And contain at OLB.
Most of the big runs bs Atlanta came when Atlanta ran outside vs back up OLB.

TexasRam

Legend
This article was posted before on another thread before the Quinn trade. It got me thinking he would be a less good inexpensive alternative.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-him-test-free-agency/?utm_term=.3a8b6a67f233

'I consider myself elite': Pass rusher Junior Galette expects Redskins to let him test free agency

By Scott Allen February 15 Email the author
Galette told 106.7 The Fan’s Danny Rouhier and Craig Hoffman this week. “But speaking to my agent, Drew Rosenhaus … he just basically said they’re pretty much gonna let me test free agency, because I’m pretty sure that if it was the other way around, I think they would have offered me a deal and nothing has been offered. There’s nothing else left for me to believe but they want me to test free agency.”

The Redskins took a chance on Galette during the 2015 offseason, signing him for the league minimum after New Orleans released him because of his off-field troubles, including a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed. Galette’s regular season debut with the Redskins was delayed two years after he suffered season-ending Achilles’ injuries in consecutive summers. After registering 22 sacks over his final two years with the Saints, Galette had three sacks in 16 games for Washington last season.

Galette, 29, told 106.7 The Fan he still has a lot left in the tank and that his sack total last season didn’t tell the entire story of his effectiveness. Rouhier mentioned a recent tweet from NFL.com’s Matt Harmon, who shared the top 12 pass-rushers in 2017 based on pressure rate among players who had at least 200 pass-rush plays. Redskins linebacker Preston Smith, who had eight sacks last season, ranked first at 15.9 percent. Galette ranked third at 15.1 percent. Ryan Kerrigan, who led Washington with 13 sacks, ranked 10th (13.4 percent).

View image on Twitter

Matt Harmon

✔@MattHarmon_BYB

Top-12 pressure rates this season among defenders who had 200+ pass rush plays per #NextGenStats

“I consider myself elite,” Galette said. “You look at the numbers, it is what it is. I don’t care what you tell me. I had back-to-back [double-digit sack years] in New Orleans. I think only four players were during that span and I was on pace, had a promising career. I still do, I feel like, but pass rush is so relative. There are so many things and other variables that play into pass rush, so if you just look at my [stats] and it says that I’m top-three in the win percentage and the sacks don’t match, okay, so you look at the tape and you’re like, ‘Wait, how come the sacks don’t match?’ Well, maybe this guy deserves more playing time. If you give me more playing time, that’s how it works. In ’13, I had I think 800 snaps in New Orleans, in ’14 I think I had 750. In both those years, [I had] double-digit sacks. It just is what it is. That’s just how pass-rush goes. You need the opportunities. If I had made all the sacks that I missed — about eight or nine this year — I’d have double-digit sacks, but that’s almost impossible to do. … I feel like as long as you’re disrupting the quarterback, then you show that you’re really effective in just how promising that you are with getting after the quarterback.”

Galette played 411 defensive snaps last season, according to Football Outsiders. Kerrigan and Smith played 822 and 756, respectively. Ryan Anderson, who will almost certainly factor more into Washington’s defensive game plans next season, played 195 defensive snaps as a rookie. Galette said he remains “really thankful” that former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan gave him an opportunity in 2015 and then brought him back on one-year deals in each of the last two seasons.

“I think it’s a great organization on the come-up,” Galette said. “I feel like they made a strong move in getting a quarterback in Alex Smith, and getting somebody at that position that’s just definite, having someone stable there as opposed to just the going back and forth. I think it’s a pretty good thing for the team in general. The Redskins are headed in the right direction, I want to be here, but like I said, it’s not up to me.”

Returning to Washington, Galette said, would “of course” be his first choice.

“We just have to wait and kind of see,” Galette said. “… I see a lot of fans on my social media, like, ‘Hey, you’ve gotta stick with the Redskins. Go sign your deal.’ I’m like, ‘Dude, there’s no offer on the table.’ I can’t just pick up a pen. It doesn’t work like that.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected that he had more pressures than Quinn. He had a higher percentage rate of pressures. Outside of Suh the Rams are not spending the big money on free agents. There just aren't many alternatives for edge rushers that are on less expensive side. He is a another year away from injury so he could show a little more quickness. For the amount of snaps he played he showed solid production. He also was listed as Rightside OLB like Quinn.

images

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let him wear #8 because if he makes it thru the season without getting injured, I’d be shocked