Rams in London...Shyte

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:
The 3 year commitment will help to create a Home Field advantage if you think about it. Those Brits will gravitate to the "Home" Team,,, until now they never knew what teams were going to play there.

Not only that but wouldn't a team like the "Patriots" be the evil empire? Hopefully they will get the patsies to wear throwback helmets. Ah yes... I can see the urine bombs a flyin' directly at Tom Terrific's dome. And the Rams will be international phenoms.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:
The 3 year commitment will help to create a Home Field advantage if you think about it. Those Brits will gravitate to the "Home" Team,,, until now they never knew what teams were going to play there.

Not only that but wouldn't a team like the "Patriots" be the evil empire? Hopefully they will get the patsies to wear throwback helmets. Ah yes... I can see the urine bombs a flyin' directly at Tom Terrific's dome. And the Rams will be international phenoms.

That's my feeling. I think the Londoners will gravitate towards the Rams, especially against the Patriots. Maybe they could call them the Boston Patriots for that game? :hehe:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ramhusker said:
RamFan503 said:
Selassie I said:

That's my feeling. I think the Londoners will gravitate towards the Rams, especially against the Patriots. Maybe they could call them the Boston Patriots for that game? :hehe:

Let's hope the Cheating Pats wear the old style helmets too! That might cause a riot and get them torn limb from limb.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I get why you guys are annoyed, honestly I do. To give up a home game a year for 3 years is a huge, huge deal. But you have to try to look at it as the opportunity that it is rather than as a negative.

If you look at all of the biggest and most successful sporting teams in the world, across any sport, they all have one thing in common- they are all trying to grow their brands globally. Kroenke, as owner of Arsenal FC, knows this as well as anyone. He was a minority owner there when they built a huge new stadium a few years back, and they are clearly also making an effort in the far east especially to create new markets. Since this has started their revenue has grown hugely. The Rams are obviously trying to do a few similar things. There are many benefits to the Rams doing this, which are;

- growing an international fan base. This is good for obvious reasons, as the more money the franchise can make from merch/overseas tv money etc the better. Aditionally, the more money the Rams can make from a market outside of St Louis, is less money the Rams need to find FROM St Louis. This would (in theory) allow the Rams to perhaps reduce ticket prices,concessions, parking at the Ed if they so desired.

- the London games are basically playoff games. Huge, internationally televised, 90,000 people playoff atmosphere games. We have a young team with virtually no big game experience, and whether Americans want to admit it or not, the London games are big games, at least to us over here. Also, the distance from New York to London is roughly 3,300 miles. The distance from New York to San Francisco is roughly 2,500 miles.... it's really not ALL that far away. When you include the bye afterwards, it's actually not a huge competitive disadvantage to travel "all the way to London". The first ever London regular season game involved a Giants team that went on to win the Superbowl.

- another benefit from this is that the league now essentially owes the Rams a favour. Whether it means more primetime games or a superbowl for St Louis whenever the stadium issues get sorted, the rams are due some love. It is clear that part of this move was essentially ass-kissing by kroenke to the league, well that might well have benefits for StL.

- the absolute biggest benefit for the Rams, and specifically for St Louis fans, is the leverage that this move helps to creat for the upcoming lease situation. I know that many people see it as the first step to a move from St Louis. I see it as the first step as a commitment to STAY in St Louis. It is obvious that the Ed is not fit for purpose, that is to say it does not allow the Rams to generate as much income as other newer stadiums do for their respective teams. The Rams are now in the unique position where they can point to success in another city without actually having to leave first, and can then return to St Louis and say if you want to keep us, help us with the stadium. I'm not saying that StL taxpayers should pony up either FWIW, but it's clear that this will help to provide leverage and a bit of a jump start to a lease situation that has been dragging for years.

Personally, I am absolutely ecstatic at this news. It gives long-suffering fans outside of the US (and there really are far more than you might imagine) the chance to watch their team up close for the first time. If the Rams find a way to help make it cheaper for US based Rams fans to come over to watch the games (as Demoff hinted they might, and as they should IMO), then I will be perfectly happy to have a beer with any of you and cheer on the Rams together.

Anonymous

ScotsRam said:
I get why you guys are annoyed, honestly I do. To give up a home game a year for 3 years is a huge, huge deal. But you have to try to look at it as the opportunity that it is rather than as a negative.

If you look at all of the biggest and most successful sporting teams in the world, across any sport, they all have one thing in common- they are all trying to grow their brands globally. Kroenke, as owner of Arsenal FC, knows this as well as anyone. He was a minority owner there when they built a huge new stadium a few years back, and they are clearly also making an effort in the far east especially to create new markets. Since this has started their revenue has grown hugely. The Rams are obviously trying to do a few similar things. There are many benefits to the Rams doing this, which are;

- growing an international fan base. This is good for obvious reasons, as the more money the franchise can make from merch/overseas tv money etc the better. Aditionally, the more money the Rams can make from a market outside of St Louis, is less money the Rams need to find FROM St Louis. This would (in theory) allow the Rams to perhaps reduce ticket prices,concessions, parking at the Ed if they so desired.

- the London games are basically playoff games. Huge, internationally televised, 90,000 people playoff atmosphere games. We have a young team with virtually no big game experience, and whether Americans want to admit it or not, the London games are big games, at least to us over here. Also, the distance from New York to London is roughly 3,300 miles. The distance from New York to San Francisco is roughly 2,500 miles.... it's really not ALL that far away. When you include the bye afterwards, it's actually not a huge competitive disadvantage to travel "all the way to London". The first ever London regular season game involved a Giants team that went on to win the Superbowl.

- another benefit from this is that the league now essentially owes the Rams a favour. Whether it means more primetime games or a superbowl for St Louis whenever the stadium issues get sorted, the rams are due some love. It is clear that part of this move was essentially ass-kissing by kroenke to the league, well that might well have benefits for StL.

- the absolute biggest benefit for the Rams, and specifically for St Louis fans, is the leverage that this move helps to creat for the upcoming lease situation. I know that many people see it as the first step to a move from St Louis. I see it as the first step as a commitment to STAY in St Louis. It is obvious that the Ed is not fit for purpose, that is to say it does not allow the Rams to generate as much income as other newer stadiums do for their respective teams. The Rams are now in the unique position where they can point to success in another city without actually having to leave first, and can then return to St Louis and say if you want to keep us, help us with the stadium. I'm not saying that StL taxpayers should pony up either FWIW, but it's clear that this will help to provide leverage and a bit of a jump start to a lease situation that has been dragging for years.

Personally, I am absolutely ecstatic at this news. It gives long-suffering fans outside of the US (and there really are far more than you might imagine) the chance to watch their team up close for the first time. If the Rams find a way to help make it cheaper for US based Rams fans to come over to watch the games (as Demoff hinted they might, and as they should IMO), then I will be perfectly happy to have a beer with any of you and cheer on the Rams together.

Good points but I'm happy for you guys getting to go to the games.

AndyRAMUK

UDFA
I agree with ScotsRam on the majority of points he made above. I have been a Rams fan since the 1980s and am also based in Scotland. I have mixed feelings about the Rams home games or any regular NFL match being played in the UK. I am a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to things like this, in the same way I feel that Premier League football (soccer) games should be played in the UK etc.

However, this does seem to be the way of the modern games and I do hope that you guys in the U.S will embrace the opportunity for the team. I personally for my own reasons am delighted that it is the Rams that are coming. It would be even better if one of the matches was to be held in Edinburgh at Murrayfield for example and spread the NFL to more than just one part of the UK.

I like the fact that I support and have stayed loyal to the Rams over the years and there is a little bit of me that loves the fact that most people gravitate towards the NY Giants, 49ers, Bears, Packers etc Being a RAMS fan is a bit special and different & I hope these games don`t change that too much! However, it is a great opportunity as ScotsRam stated to build some leverage with the league and boost the profile of a young team who will hopefully go from strength to strength in St Louis. I would definitley be against the Rams moving to a city anywhere else, particularly outside of the U.S.

I hope that it is made affordable for a lot of you guys to come over to London and experience our great country and to also see your team winning in London 3 years on the bounce!

:cheese:

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Welcome to the forum Andy. Where in Scotland are you?

Anonymous

ScotsRam said:
Welcome to the forum Andy. Where in Scotland are you?

Interested in both of your opinions about the upcoming independence vote/referendum(?) etc. Probably best to respond in the politics forum at the bottom of the Board Index. Thanks!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I really like hearing this from you guys across the pond. It appears to me that there is a pretty large fan base wanting a piece of the NFL. So any idea what kind of following the patsies have and if they will be the fan favorite coming into that game and therefore really have the home field advantage? According to the article below, it would seem so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/20/st-louis-rams-nfl-uk?newsfeed=true

Hopefully however, the Rams will kick the patsies asses, build a fan base over those three seasons, and become an international hit.

BTW - I hope people notice inside Stan's comments that he calls it the "St Louis Rams organisation". He could have just called it the "Rams organization" but he didn't. I really think that everything Stan is doing and hinting at is an attempt to put the Rams in the best possible situation to be able to stay in St Louis. Mind you, this is coming from someone who went to many a Ram game in the Coliseum and Big A and has family in Southern California. If anything, I would be bucking for the move back to LA. Frankly, I don't see it happening and don't see that it would be a good move anyway.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
I really like hearing this from you guys across the pond. It appears to me that there is a pretty large fan base wanting a piece of the NFL. So any idea what kind of following the patsies have and if they will be the fan favorite coming into that game and therefore really have the home field advantage? According to the article below, it would seem so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/20/st-louis-rams-nfl-uk?newsfeed=true

Hopefully however, the Rams will kick the patsies asses, build a fan base over those three seasons, and become an international hit.

BTW - I hope people notice inside Stan's comments that he calls it the "St Louis Rams organisation". He could have just called it the "Rams organization" but he didn't. I really think that everything Stan is doing and hinting at is an attempt to put the Rams in the best possible situation to be able to stay in St Louis. Mind you, this is coming from someone who went to many a Ram game in the Coliseum and Big A and has family in Southern California. If anything, I would be bucking for the move back to LA. Frankly, I don't see it happening and don't see that it would be a good move anyway.
If Stan is intent on expanding the Rams following outside of STL, LA is a done deal. Moving back to LA could conceivably reduce the fan base.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm not going to lie the Patriots are the most popular team over here along with the dolphins. I'm not really sure why. I do know that neutrals will root for the rams and that I will personally make enough noise to drown out 10,000 pats fans by myself.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
If Stan is intent on expanding the Rams following outside of STL, LA is a done deal. Moving back to LA could conceivably reduce the fan base.

Well he is - so I guess you might as well resign yourself to the move. Personally, I don't buy it. I think Stan is going to attempt to build the fan base to that of the elite teams. By doing that, he will be able to make more money in any and all markets. That money will be far more than ticket sales no matter how many times they would sell out their stadium. He will also keep, renew, and possibly expand those of us fans who continue to follow the Rams long after their move from LA.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I want the Rams to stay in St. Louis. They just have a midwest sorta feel, rather than big city. Either way, I'll be a Ram fan no matter where they are.

That said, there are 2 main questions that I have over a possible LA move.

1. If LA is so intent on gettin a new team, how come there hasn't been any stadium deal? I could be speaking completly out of my ass, but I'm pretty sure big ass stadiums take a while to complete. The latest ones (Cardinals, Cowboys, Colts, Giants/Jets) all took about 3 years to do and Cowboys Stadium took 4. Basically, it would be impossible right now for the Rams to go, b/c there isn't anywhere to go.

2. The Rams' lease expires in 2014, what makes everyone think the Rams will move then, shouldn't LA want a team sooner?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
Ram Quixote said:

Well he is - so I guess you might as well resign yourself to the move. Personally, I don't buy it. I think Stan is going to attempt to build the fan base to that of the elite teams. By doing that, he will be able to make more money in any and all markets. That money will be far more than ticket sales no matter how many times they would sell out their stadium. He will also keep, renew, and possibly expand those of us fans who continue to follow the Rams long after their move from LA.
"LA is a done deal" did not refer to the move. It referred to the pre-existing fan base in LA. I just don't see Stan taking the Rams back to LA.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
I want the Rams to stay in St. Louis. They just have a midwest sorta feel, rather than big city. Either way, I'll be a Ram fan no matter where they are.

1. If LA is so intent on gettin a new team, how come there hasn't been any stadium deal? I could be speaking completly out of my ass, but I'm pretty sure big ass stadiums take a while to complete. The latest ones (Cardinals, Cowboys, Colts, Giants/Jets) all took about 3 years to do and Cowboys Stadium took 4. Basically, it would be impossible right now for the Rams to go, b/c there isn't anywhere to go.

2. The Rams' lease expires in 2014, what makes everyone think the Rams will move then, shouldn't LA want a team sooner?

1. LA has two stadium options, both trying to get a team to commit so they get to build it. Which actually delays anything. However, both stadiums are ready to be built, and it's likely that the Downtown stadium will be built. Both of them are already paid for though, and they say it will take about 2 years to finish building. Stadiums can be built really fast if extra money is paid, that happens a lot in LA. Projects will sit half finished for years, and then a company will want to film there and will pay them to finish it. Suddenly a week later they have the second half finished.... However if a team does move, then they will play the first season either in the Rose Bowl, or Colosseum, and then move into the new stadium the next year. At least that is what they are saying, if that actually happens, who knows.

2. AEG (who are building the downtown arena) has said they will pay for any penalties regarding an early move, as well as the move itself. They're basically paying for everything.

Now, I don't believe the Rams will move to LA, but it is possible.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
RamFan503 said:
Ram Quixote said:

"LA is a done deal" did not refer to the move. It referred to the pre-existing fan base in LA. I just don't see Stan taking the Rams back to LA.

Oop... sorry. :oops:

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

1. LA has two stadium options, both trying to get a team to commit so they get to build it. Which actually delays anything. However, both stadiums are ready to be built, and it's likely that the Downtown stadium will be built. Both of them are already paid for though, and they say it will take about 2 years to finish building. Stadiums can be built really fast if extra money is paid, that happens a lot in LA. Projects will sit half finished for years, and then a company will want to film there and will pay them to finish it. Suddenly a week later they have the second half finished.... However if a team does move, then they will play the first season either in the Rose Bowl, or Colosseum, and then move into the new stadium the next year. At least that is what they are saying, if that actually happens, who knows.

2. AEG (who are building the downtown arena) has said they will pay for any penalties regarding an early move, as well as the move itself. They're basically paying for everything.

Didn't know about that.

In that case, I'd like to see an official statement from the AEG fellas that they'll be breaking ground and are getting a team.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Didn't know about that.

In that case, I'd like to see an official statement from the AEG fellas that they'll be breaking ground and are getting a team.
There was also a recent statement (from the NFL?) saying that there would be no moves in 2012. I don't remember where I read that, or what the logic behind it was, but I did read it.

I get the feeling that the league wants to see what happens in STL before allowing some other team to commit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:

Didn't know about that.

They're waiting till a team commits to moving before they break ground I guess. Up to this point no team has done so.

I think the Chargers end up coming up north though.. Honestly I don't follow it that close yet, because it's mostly just a bunch of politics back and fourth. When they get closer to it then I'll pay more attention.

Angry Ram

No moves in 2012 isn't really much of a surprise, kinda hard to play w/ that big a distraction that fast. I think its just Kroenke's business nature is scarin some folks.

Politics...bingo. Exactly why this is gonna be pretty hard to pull off.