Rams Hurting: Matthew Stafford Has More Arm Pain

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Let's review...

McVay uses the word "pain" and announces that they are going to reduce Stafford's reps in early camp.

Bloggers, casual commentators, and fans run with the statement, adding a healthy dose of speculation and worry, and turn this into a story (this may also be called the "hot garbage takes" phase of the process).

McVay tries to clarify that this is not a big worry.

Hot Garbage Phase 2 begins - "should we believe them? What might they be hiding?"

To paraphrase Green Day... wake me up, when September begins.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There might be a window for McVay to scoop Mayfield. For it to happen it requires him to either lose the job competition in Carolina or lose the job in Carolina during the season. That would position him for the backup market. Might be a team dumb enough to pay him starter money from there, but if things were to go down like that I'd think the Rams have a good shot at getting him in here.

Chances are Wolf isn't going anywhere for this season. Before camp started rolling I was hoping Perkins would give him a go but doesn't sound like he's ready to do that and frankly Perkins has been here long enough to start showing so if that remains true we're probably gonna be Stafford > Wolf for this season. But that said Perkins should be getting most of the preseason snaps so there is certainly time for him to show out. Just as the way things are aligned right now it doesn't look good for him.

But with Wolf being a FA after this season there's a good chance McVay reloads the backup role. And maybe he will go get a QB2 that has a little more upside and projection to stay healthy if needed for a stretch of games.
Everything I've read indicates Perkins just ain't it at all. If he's not showing real growth from last season, don't waste the roster spot.. and I don't think the Rams will.
You're pretty much fucked if you get to your #3 anyway.. so, if that guy doesn't really look like he has future value, put him on the PS or let some other team try to grab him.

As for Mayfield? I've actually thought that Darnold could be the Rams backup QB in '23. He's from Southern California and has been bounced around. He's been objectively bad.. but, who knows what McVay could do with him? Still young... he'd only be 26 next year.
The athletic ability, size and arm are all NFL level.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Let's review...

McVay uses the word "pain" and announces that they are going to reduce Stafford's reps in early camp.

Bloggers, casual commentators, and fans run with the statement, adding a healthy dose of speculation and worry, and turn this into a story (this may also be called the "hot garbage takes" phase of the process).

McVay tries to clarify that this is not a big worry.

Hot Garbage Phase 2 begins - "should we believe them? What might they be hiding?"

To paraphrase Green Day... wake me up, when September begins.

Gurley.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, is there any other Starting QB around the league, not participating in team activities? I understand rotating, but completely shutting someone down is not a good sign IMHO.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, is there any other Starting QB around the league, not participating in team activities? I understand rotating, but completely shutting someone down is not a good sign IMHO.
I don't know whether it's truly "bad" or a "setback"... but I do know our QB is dealing with a thing in his arm that causes him discomfort and limiting his participation and that it's *unclear* whether he's taking less of a load at the moment than was hoped/expected.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everything I've read indicates Perkins just ain't it at all. If he's not showing real growth from last season, don't waste the roster spot.. and I don't think the Rams will.
You're pretty much fucked if you get to your #3 anyway.. so, if that guy doesn't really look like he has future value, put him on the PS or let some other team try to grab him.

As for Mayfield? I've actually thought that Darnold could be the Rams backup QB in '23. He's from Southern California and has been bounced around. He's been objectively bad.. but, who knows what McVay could do with him? Still young... he'd only be 26 next year.
The athletic ability, size and arm are all NFL level.
Perkins had some good moments last year in preseason. Think it was the Chargers game where he impressed a bit. But it's hard to project a guy who is 3 on the QB depth chart unless you're on the staff. This camp just seems really important to him, given where he should be in his development on this roster vs the relative strength of the bottom of this roster.

Re: Darnold all I can say is his play last since he came in the league has been timid and that just doesn't work for him. I remember him playing balls out for USC early on and thinking "wow this guy might really be something." So I've always pulled for him but I'm at the point now where I don't think he's good enough to start at this level. Just not enough dog in the guy.

Saw an interview with Mayfield where he was talking about the line coach being an ex-Cleveland coach (I don't follow them so not sure who he was talking about) and the line calls being familiar. That's a big deal and probably enough for him to win that job even in a short window.

So my expectation is Mayfield wins the job and they will push for a wildcard but probably not do much beyond that, if they make the playoffs. Which would mean Baker enters FA with a lot of questions though probably not enough for McVay to afford him. I'd love to see him on our depth chart though, no doubt about it.

The guy on that roster I'd really want to have, though, is Corral. He's gonna ball in this league, just gonna need time to learn the pro offense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Perkins had some good moments last year in preseason. Think it was the Chargers game where he impressed a bit. But it's hard to project a guy who is 3 on the QB depth chart unless you're on the staff. This camp just seems really important to him, given where he should be in his development on this roster vs the relative strength of the bottom of this roster.

Re: Darnold all I can say is his play last since he came in the league has been timid and that just doesn't work for him. I remember him playing balls out for USC early on and thinking "wow this guy might really be something." So I've always pulled for him but I'm at the point now where I don't think he's good enough to start at this level. Just not enough dog in the guy.

Saw an interview with Mayfield where he was talking about the line coach being an ex-Cleveland coach (I don't follow them so not sure who he was talking about) and the line calls being familiar. That's a big deal and probably enough for him to win that job even in a short window.

So my expectation is Mayfield wins the job and they will push for a wildcard but probably not do much beyond that, if they make the playoffs. Which would mean Baker enters FA with a lot of questions though probably not enough for McVay to afford him. I'd love to see him on our depth chart though, no doubt about it.

The guy on that roster I'd really want to have, though, is Corral. He's gonna ball in this league, just gonna need time to learn the pro offense.
I just think Perkins doesn't have the arm or quick enough processing and release to really do anything in the league. He was a lot of fun in preseason last year, but if I have to decide between him or Brandon Powell, for example? I'm choosing Powell.

Agreed on the Darnold stuff.. I just wonder if a great coach and playing behind a real QB would allow him to grow to a competent backup.. the kind you wouldn't have to change the offense for, as you would with Perkins.

Mayfield is a high variance guy.. like a lot of the short QBs. There's more and more information out there on passing patters... and Mayfield, like Murray and Wilson... just can't use the middle of the field.

I don't know anything about Corral... but have read he's making a good camp impression.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You’re comparing Stafford, who has played every game for 10 years with the exception of 2019 when he missed time for an unrelated (back) injury to Gurley, who tore an ACL and then developed chronic knee problems?

Being a fan must be a miserable experience when you go out of your way to find things to worry about.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
if I have to decide between him or Brandon Powell, for example? I'm choosing Powell.
Yeah and that's what I've been talking about. All of a sudden that QB3 role doesn't look so secure when other positions are looking at possibly cutting significant role players. He's a bubble guy for sure this year, and he's going to have to show something to make this roster.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You’re comparing Stafford, who has played every game for 10 years with the exception of 2019 when he missed time for an unrelated (back) injury to Gurley, who tore an ACL and then developed chronic knee problems?

Being a fan must be a miserable experience when you go out of your way to find things to worry about.
The Rams obfuscated about Gurley... fans, etc being skeptical about what the team says when it comes to this kind of injury situation where there does not seem to be much clarity is completely fair.

Do me a favor and feel free to not try to analyze/judge how I view my team or the game. Stick to your topic.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Rams obfuscated about Gurley... fans, etc being skeptical about what the team says when it comes to this kind of injury situation where there does not seem to be much clarity is completely fair.

Do me a favor and feel free to not try to analyze/judge how I view my team or the game. Stick to your topic.
What’s not clear? Stafford likely has some degree of tendonitis in his elbow. He played through it last year, had some treatment (probably a platelet rich plasma injection) and rested it during the offseason. He experienced some pain/soreness in camp, and now they’re being cautious with him.

That’s it. If you want to be “skeptical” and worry that it’s more serious because you feel you were misled about Gurley’s knee, that’s fine.

I’m going to presume that Stafford will play - and play at a high level - when it matters until the team says otherwise.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
What’s not clear? Stafford likely has some degree of tendinitis in his elbow. He played through it last year, had some treatment (probably a protein rich platelet injection) and rested it during the offseason. He experienced some pain/soreness in camp, and now they’re being cautious with him.

That’s it. If you want to be “skeptical” and worry that it’s more serious because you feel you were misled about Gurley’s knee, that’s fine.

I’m going to go presume that Stafford will play - and play at a high level - when it matters until the team says otherwise.
I'm not overly skeptical or overly concerned.

You're the one telling people what they should be worried about. Maybe focus on that aspect of your interactions.

I expect Stafford will play at a high level as well.. but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be concerned. Tendonitis (sp) isn't just an owie.. it can have downstream, serious negative impacts. We're hearing about it now, but I have no idea how long he's been dealing with it.. do you? So, among many things here, that's very unclear.

Hope that helps you out.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I'm not overly skeptical or overly concerned.

You're the one telling people what they should be worried about. Maybe focus on that aspect of your interactions.

I expect Stafford will play at a high level as well.. but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be concerned. Tendonitis (sp) isn't just an owie.. it can have downstream, serious negative impacts. We're hearing about it now, but I have no idea how long he's been dealing with it.. do you? So, among many things here, that's very unclear.

Hope that helps you out.
Dude.... you're the one who (1) brought up Gurley, and (2) cited his case as a reason for skepticism. You can walk it back if you'd like, but that's what you said.

I prefer to look at the "evidence" (i.e. Stafford stating he had an injection, shutting down, and now taking it easy) and the words stated by Stafford and McVay (not Ian Rappoport, Jourdan Rodrigue, bloggers, or fans), and take it at face value. Simply stated, I don't believe that the Gurley situation provides a reason to question the team every time something like this arises.

Hope that helps YOU out.

Now go ahead and take the last word, as I know that doing so is very important to you.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Dude.... you're the one who (1) brought up Gurley, and (2) cited his case as a reason for skepticism. You can walk it back if you'd like, but that's what you said.

I prefer to look at the "evidence" (i.e. Stafford stating he had an injection, shutting down, and now taking it easy) and the words stated by Stafford and McVay (not Ian Rappoport, Jourdan Rodrigue, bloggers, or fans), and take it at face value. Simply stated, I don't believe that the Gurley situation provides a reason to question the team every time something like this arises.

Hope that helps YOU out.

Now go ahead and take the last word, as I know that doing so is very important to you.

Oh, goodness.. the preemptive... "I really need the last word, but need to make it seem like you're the needy one by saying you can go ahead and post again because you need the last word."

Grow up.

Gurley is comparable because of the way the organization communicated. And, again... you know how long Stafford has been dealing with the tendonitis? I certainly don't.

So, again.. no clarity on the history of the situation and no clarity on whether his workload is being reduced from what was already a planned reduced workload.

Sorry if the nuance here bothers you and sorry that you need to make this black and white or into a situation where I'm screaming "THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM HERE AND THE RAMS ARE LYING!!!!!!!!"...

Because I'm not. I'm discussing a situation that's happening at the moment with the Rams and their awesome QB in training camp. We're in training camp and it's news.... and this is a discussion board.

We're discussing it.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The good thing is that:

A: Rappaport stated that the issue popped up in the spring which means it hasn't been THAT long since it started healing

B: it's tendonitis which usually isn't chronic. I've had an awful case of tennis elbow myself but that was years ago and it's never popped up again.

Sounds like Stafford got tendonitis in the spring and over did it before he was ready in camp. I'm guessing he'll be okay long term.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The good thing is that:

A: Rappaport stated that the issue popped up in the spring which means it hasn't been THAT long since it started healing

B: it's tendonitis which usually isn't chronic. I've had an awful case of tennis elbow myself but that was years ago and it's never popped up again.

Sounds like Stafford got tendonitis in the spring and over did it before he was ready in camp. I'm guessing he'll be okay long term.
Small point..
He got treatment for it in Spring… we don’t know how long it’s been an issue. Elbow concerns were mentioned last season, for example.

View: https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1464987793885650949?s=21

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Small point..
He got treatment for it in Spring… we don’t know how long it’s been an issue. Elbow concerns were mentioned last season, for example.

View: https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1464987793885650949?s=21

Oh yeah sure sure. That's why I'm keying in on rapaports wording. He said that *this* injury to the elbow cropped up in the spring. So it doesn't sound like it's the same thing he was dealing with all year.

So based on the fact that he speaks about it as if it weren't the same injury, he gives a time frame for when it began, and Mcvay and Stafford have both said it shouldn't require him missing any games, I'm feeling okay.

And even if it were the same issue from last year, he only stopped playing football 6 months ago which would make sense that he's feeling "some" pain right now. Tendonitis can take up to a year when at it's worst.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Oh yeah sure sure. That's why I'm keying in on rapaports wording. He said that *this* injury to the elbow cropped up in the spring. So it doesn't sound like it's the same thing he was dealing with all year.

So based on the fact that he speaks about it as if it weren't the same injury, he gives a time frame for when it began, and Mcvay and Stafford have both said it shouldn't require him missing any games, I'm feeling okay.

And even if it were the same issue from last year, he only stopped playing football 6 months ago which would make sense that he's feeling "some" pain right now. Tendonitis can take up to a year when at it's worst.
Yeah.. the timing doesn’t make sense on that.
He didn’t throw on the Spring, he already got the treatment.
Based on the previous reports and timing, I think it’s more likely he’s been dealing with it since at least last season.
I mean.. this report from 2015 discusses an elbow injury…

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah.. the timing doesn’t make sense on that.
He didn’t throw on the Spring, he already got the treatment.
Based on the previous reports and timing, I think it’s more likely he’s been dealing with it since at least last season.
I mean.. this report from 2015 discusses an elbow injury…
Well the article you posted isn't tendonitis. Sounds like he took a bad hit. So I'm not sure they are linked.

As for the timing. Yeah it's fuzzy. But he got the injection in May I believe. If it were something he were dealing with last season then I'd think he would've gotten the procedure done sooner to avoid what's happening right now.

Whatever the case though Mcvay has been very up front about it so far, as opposed to with Gurley where we never got a clear designation of what it was or how severe , etc. This truly sounds like what they're calling it. Tennis elbow that Stafford thought was completely healed but needed more time. After all, he was a full go to start camp. (I remember pulling my groin in pre-season for high school basketball lol. Anyways, missed the first few weeks of camp and came back only to realize that I needed a few more weeks. I thought I was healed....until I tried to participate in our first cardio drill). I truly think they're being cautious.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well the article you posted isn't tendonitis. Sounds like he took a bad hit. So I'm not sure they are linked.

As for the timing. Yeah it's fuzzy. But he got the injection in May I believe. If it were something he were dealing with last season then I'd think he would've gotten the procedure done sooner to avoid what's happening right now.

Whatever the case though Mcvay has been very up front about it so far, as opposed to with Gurley where we never got a clear designation of what it was or how severe , etc. This truly sounds like what they're calling it. Tennis elbow that Stafford thought was completely healed but needed more time. After all, he was a full go to start camp. (I remember pulling my groin in pre-season for high school basketball lol. Anyways, missed the first few weeks of camp and came back only to realize that I needed a few more weeks. I thought I was healed....until I tried to participate in our first cardio drill). I truly think they're being cautious.
Tendonitis is a condition that can be *caused* by an injury.

I think the fact that “elbow injury” has been something Stafford has dealt with more than once is much more than coincidence.

As to the timing? Maybe they took the approach of giving it time to “settle down” after the season… but the pain persisted, so they moved forward.

Kinda like Ramsey.